What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mason Rudolph, PIT (1 Viewer)

Mason Rudolph completed 23-of-44 passes for 221 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions in the Steelers' 21-7, Week 11 loss to the Browns.

Rudolph turned in a truly ghastly performance but all anyone will remember is what happened with eight seconds remaining. Arguably taken down late by Myles Garrett following a pointless dump off to Trey Edmunds, Rudolph took exception to Garrett's attempt, seemingly attempting to remove Garrett's helmet. He failed. It was Garrett who ended up emerging from the pile with Rudolph's helmet. As a true melee broke out, Garrett hit Rudolph square in the noggin with the pilfered head gear. It was an ugly, troubling scene, one that could earn Garrett a season-ending ban. Rudolph, who already has a sickening concussion to his name this year, thankfully appeared no worse for the wear. Unspeakably bad when the football game was actually going on, Rudolph has 10 days to prepare for a soft Bengals matchup. The Steelers should consider turning to Devlin Hodges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance that he'll get a suspension too? He escalated the fight with Garrett twice, first by trying to pull Garrett's helmet off and then again by chasing after Garrett after they'd been separated.

Any chance that he'll get a suspension too? He escalated the fight with Garrett twice, first by trying to pull Garrett's helmet off and then again by chasing after Garrett after they'd been separated.
If you go by letter of the rules, he could actually get 2 games: One for attempting to rip Garrett's helmet, and one for escalation (new rule put in this year). Do I think he'll get 2? Nope. He may not even get 1 even though he would deserve it, just a steep fine.

Kind of stinks for this guy... you say Mark Sanchez - you think buttfumble.    you say Mason Rudolph-you think guy who got domed with his own helmet.

Kind of stinks for this guy... you say Mark Sanchez - you think buttfumble.    you say Mason Rudolph-you think guy who got domed with his own helmet.
Eh. I don't know...I actually kind of respect him for not backing down. Even after he got dinged he was still waving his arms calling for Garrett to get penalized. I give him credit for not hiding behind his linemen from the beginning.

He's still a pretty awful quarterback, though...

I'd be shocked if Rudolph was suspended. Maybe a fine I guess, but the optics look pretty bad if you suspend Rudolph, even if by letter of the law, it could be appropriate. Only way Rudolph likely gets suspended, is if the Commish goes way over the top to make a statement. Like, 16 games for Garrett, 4 for Pouncey, 2 for Ogunjobi, 1 for Rudolph, and even though it wasn't part of the fight, 1-2 for Randall as well.

Eh. I don't know...I actually kind of respect him for not backing down. Even after he got dinged he was still waving his arms calling for Garrett to get penalized. I give him credit for not hiding behind his linemen from the beginning.

He's still a pretty awful quarterback, though...
Going into the game Rudolph had a 90+ passer rating, and a nearly 3-1 TD-INT ratio. He was playing pretty well for the first 6.5 games of his career. 

If you go by letter of the rules, he could actually get 2 games: One for attempting to rip Garrett's helmet, and one for escalation (new rule put in this year). Do I think he'll get 2? Nope. He may not even get 1 even though he would deserve it, just a steep fine.
Should he get one for cleating Garrett in the nuts while he was trying to Garrett's helmet off?  Or would that be rolled into the attempted de-helmeting?

So it looks like no suspension at all, but an undisclosed fine for Rudolph by the NFL. That's a little weird considering their rather strict rules on fight engagement/escalation, but I kinda expected the NFL to cave. A lot of similarities to the Andre Johnson/Courtland Finnegan fight except Finnegan actually manage to get the helmet off and didn't get decked by one.

I would say that Rudolph should be suspended for 1 game.  Any attempt to deliberately remove the helmet of another player should be an automatic 1 game suspension.  Then you escalate from there depending on how much worse things get from there.  But just because Garrett lost his mind is no reason to be lenient with Rudolph.

Like ... I kinda thought he wouldn't get a game but he'd get a large fine. I'm reading reports on Twitter those undisclosed fines could be the team fines. I'm trying to find more online right now because I'd think he at least has to be fined a decent amount.

EDIT:

NFL Media's Tom Pelissero reports Mason Rudolph is facing a fine for his involvement in Week 11's fight with Myles Garrett.

The NFL handed out suspensions to Myles Garrett, Maurice Pouncey, and Larry Ogunjobi, but Rudolph won't miss time. Rudolph will likely be the starter for Week 12 against the Bengals, although he needs to play better to keep his job. On Thursday Night Football, Rudolph showed little awareness in the pocket and threw four interceptions.
nvm

I would say that Rudolph should be suspended for 1 game.  Any attempt to deliberately remove the helmet of another player should be an automatic 1 game suspension.  Then you escalate from there depending on how much worse things get from there.  But just because Garrett lost his mind is no reason to be lenient with Rudolph.
We (and the league) can only speculate that's what Rudolph was trying to do.  Was it likely?  Yes.  But still only speculation.

The part I haven't heard anything about is that it clearly looked like Rudolph kicked Garrett in the balls.

In a related stories, Myles Garrett is not considering legal actions for sexual assault against Mason Rudolph as he kicked him in the groin but Mason faces a big court battle as numerous Pittsburgh fans ARE considering legal actions against Rudolph since he continues to masquerade as an NFL quarterback. 
When it happened I joked that Garrett must be a Steelers fan, since there are a lot of Steelers fans would love to do that to Rudolph.

We (and the league) can only speculate that's what Rudolph was trying to do.  Was it likely?  Yes.  But still only speculation.

The part I haven't heard anything about is that it clearly looked like Rudolph kicked Garrett in the balls.
He did kick him in the balls with like a one legged mule kick.  That kind of thing is probably going to provoke a reaction.  Garrett was WAY out of line, but it wasn't unprovoked.  Garrett did start it with a fairly late hit... But that hit was not flagged I don't believe. 

He did kick him in the balls with like a one legged mule kick.  That kind of thing is probably going to provoke a reaction.  Garrett was WAY out of line, but it wasn't unprovoked.  Garrett did start it with a fairly late hit... But that hit was not flagged I don't believe. 
Stop. Nothing Rudolph did, not one thing, justified Garrett's reaction. In the real world that's a minimum of an assult with a deadly weapon charge, with a bunch of other lesser charges tacked on.

Stop. Nothing Rudolph did, not one thing, justified Garrett's reaction. In the real world that's a minimum of an assult with a deadly weapon charge, with a bunch of other lesser charges tacked on.
Agree, Garrett's reaction was way out of line.  That doesn't mean Rudolph wasn't wrong as well, albeit not near the level of Garrett. 

Rudolph should have gotten a suspension as well for instigating. 

I didn't read @kittenmittenscomment as trying to justify Garrett's actions 

Agree, Garrett's reaction was way out of line.  That doesn't mean Rudolph wasn't wrong as well, albeit not near the level of Garrett. 

Rudolph should have gotten a suspension as well for instigating. 
The point is that nothing Rudolph did, right wrong or otherwise, justifies Garrett's reaction.

What Rudolph did is (knowing what he did mind you) is entirely irrelevant. Garrett used a deadly weapon to attack Rudolph. That's all that matters. 

Like I said, in the real world what Garrett did is a guaranteed assault with a deadly weapon charge at a minimum. And what Rudolph did would not pass as any kind of defense of Garrett's actions.

The point is that nothing Rudolph did, right wrong or otherwise, justifies Garrett's reaction.

What Rudolph did is (knowing what he did mind you) is entirely irrelevant. Garrett used a deadly weapon to attack Rudolph. That's all that matters. 

Like I said, in the real world what Garrett did is a guaranteed assault with a deadly weapon charge at a minimum. And what Rudolph did would not pass as any kind of defense of Garrett's actions.
The first bold is true, but the second does not follow from the first.

I see posters in here independently assessing each player’s actions to discuss whether or not those actions warrant a suspension, fine, etc.  I don’t support the principle of “only punish the worst offender, everyone else gets off,” and that is what your argument is implying.

If someone breaks into another person’s car, and the car owner sees it and responds by beating the crap out of the taunter, we don’t say “well, he wasn’t justified in beating the guy so it is irelevant that his car was being broken in to.”  We’d punish the beating and the attempted theft indpendently.

The first bold is true, but the second does not follow from the first.

I see posters in here independently assessing each player’s actions to discuss whether or not those actions warrant a suspension, fine, etc.  I don’t support the principle of “only punish the worst offender, everyone else gets off,” and that is what your argument is implying.

If someone breaks into another person’s car, and the car owner sees it and responds by beating the crap out of the taunter, we don’t say “well, he wasn’t justified in beating the guy so it is irelevant that his car was being broken in to.”  We’d punish the beating and the attempted theft indpendently.
I never said Rudolph shouldn't be punished by the league. I said that, much like the guy breaking into the car, Rudolph did nothing that justifies being assaulted with a deadly weapon.

If Garrett kept his cool and didn't literally, not figuratively, try to kill Rudolph (whether he intended to or not is, again, irrelevant. In any other venue it was assault with a deadly weapon) I am quite certain the refs and the league would still have punished Rudolph.

The inverse is also true: Another point is that nothing Garrett did, right, wrong, or otherwise, excuses Randolph’s action.  

You say in the real world what Garrett did is a guaranteed assault charge.  If we ignore the obvious question of why are these two men walking around in the real world wearing football helmets, then OK, you are correct.  What would also obviously bring charges would be the Rudolph’s initial attempt to steal aggressively steal Garrett’s helmet and Rudolph’s assault when he kicked Garrett in the groin.

So, there’s that.  In the “real world,” where these two men aren’t playing football, but are wearing helmets, both men would have had charges filed against them.

I never said Rudolph shouldn't be punished by the league. I said that, much like the guy breaking into the car, Rudolph did nothing that justifies being assaulted with a deadly weapon.

If Garrett kept his cool and didn't literally, not figuratively, try to kill Rudolph (whether he intended to or not is, again, irrelevant. In any other venue it was assault with a deadly weapon) I am quite certain the refs and the league would still have punished Rudolph.
You said what Rudolph did was entirely irrelevant.  If guy 1 doesn’t break into guy 2’s car, guy two doesn’t assault guy 1.  Rudolph’s actions are completely relevant. If he hadn’t done what he did, Garrett wouldn’t have done what he did.  Doesn’t make what garret did OK, or even less horrible.  But to say Rudolph’s actions are irrelevant is totally false.

The inverse is also true: Another point is that nothing Garrett did, right, wrong, or otherwise, excuses Randolph’s action.  

You say in the real world what Garrett did is a guaranteed assault charge.  If we ignore the obvious question of why are these two men walking around in the real world wearing football helmets, then OK, you are correct.  What would also obviously bring charges would be the Rudolph’s initial attempt to steal aggressively steal Garrett’s helmet and Rudolph’s assault when he kicked Garrett in the groin.

So, there’s that.  In the “real world,” where these two men aren’t playing football, but are wearing helmets, both men would have had charges filed against them.
Not absolving Rudolph but he didn't swing a helmet full force at a guy not wearing a helmet. Rudolph arguably assaulted Garrett, Garrett arguably tried to kill Rudolph.

Not sure why people think I'm giving Rudolph a pass. But their transgressions are apples to spaceships.

You said what Rudolph did was entirely irrelevant.  If guy 1 doesn’t break into guy 2’s car, guy two doesn’t assault guy 1.  Rudolph’s actions are completely relevant. If he hadn’t done what he did, Garrett wouldn’t have done what he did.  Doesn’t make what garret did OK, or even less horrible.  But to say Rudolph’s actions are irrelevant is totally false.
It is irrelevant as it is not a legal defense. 

Breaking into your car, in no way justifies assault, let alone hitting someone in the head with a brick.

Sure, it's a precipitating event but we live in a society with laws and the proper legal remedy in that situation is to call the police. 

If you go the AWD route instead you'd go to jail with the full sentence for AWD. I guess the excuse might help in a plea bargain if the DA was lazy.

Not absolving Rudolph but he didn't swing a helmet full force at a guy not wearing a helmet. Rudolph arguably assaulted Garrett, Garrett arguably tried to kill Rudolph.

Not sure why people think I'm giving Rudolph a pass. But their transgressions are apples to spaceships.
You said his (Rudolph’s) actions were irrelevant.  If that’s not giving him a pass, what is it?

It is irrelevant as it is not a legal defense. 

Breaking into your car, in no way justifies assault, let alone hitting someone in the head with a brick.

Sure, it's a precipitating event but we live in a society with laws and the proper legal remedy in that situation is to call the police. 

If you go the AWD route instead you'd go to jail with the full sentence for AWD. I guess the excuse might help in a plea bargain if the DA was lazy.
What Rudolph did doesn’t excuse & isn’t a defense for what Garrett did.  As Baker said, “that’s inexcusable.”  That does not make what Rudolph did irrelevant.  If Rudolph hadn’t been pissed off that he sucked Thursday & tried to rip at Garrett’s helmet & kick him in the balls, this incident wouldn’t have happened.  That makes it totally relevant.

You said his (Rudolph’s) actions were irrelevant.  If that’s not giving him a pass, what is it?
Where did I say Rudolph shouldn't be punished by the league?

I said his actions were irrelevant as it relates to Garrett swinging a helmet at Rudolph.

What Rudolph did doesn’t excuse & isn’t a defense for what Garrett did.  As Baker said, “that’s inexcusable.”  That does not make what Rudolph did irrelevant.  If Rudolph hadn’t been pissed off that he sucked Thursday & tried to rip at Garrett’s helmet & kick him in the balls, this incident wouldn’t have happened.  That makes it totally relevant.
No. Garrett had remedies within the rules of the game. Keep your cool, watch and laugh as Rudolph gets penalized and fined. End of story. That's what smart players do.

AWD renders all that came before it irrelevant. There is no self defense claim, Garrett was never in fear for his health and safety but he swung a helmet with full force at the unprotected head of an opponent. That opponent was an idiot to be sure but being an idiot does not justify, in any way shape or form, AWD.

Where did I say Rudolph shouldn't be punished by the league?

I said his actions were irrelevant as it relates to Garrett swinging a helmet at Rudolph.
Do you think Garrett would have swung a helmet at Rudolph if Rudolph hadn’t clawed at his helmet & kicked him in the balls?

If you are being honest, your answer will be no.  Therefore Rudolph’s actions were directly relevant to Garrett swing a helmet at him.  This does not excuse or justify Garrett’s actions, but it shows clear relevance between Garrett’s act & Rudolphs actions that came beforehand.

No. Garrett had remedies within the rules of the game. Keep your cool, watch and laugh as Rudolph gets penalized and fined. End of story. That's what smart players do.

AWD renders all that came before it irrelevant. There is no self defense claim, Garrett was never in fear for his health and safety but he swung a helmet with full force at the unprotected head of an opponent. That opponent was an idiot to be sure but being an idiot does not justify, in any way shape or form, AWD.
If Rudolph thought Garrett’s tackle was so egregious that it warranted him ripping atGarrett’s helmet & kicking him in the balls, he too had remedies within the rules of the game.  He chose to go outside the rules, and instigated this situation.  If Rudolph had, as you suggest, “kept his cool,” and watch & laughed as Garrett got penalized & fined, that, also would have been the end of story.  But he didn’t; he went after Garrett, and Garrett responded way more violently and aggressively than is warranted, acceptable, or justifiable.  But the fact remains that Rudolph’s actions were relevant to Garrett making the stupid decision that he did make.

Do you think Garrett would have swung a helmet at Rudolph if Rudolph hadn’t clawed at his helmet & kicked him in the balls?

If you are being honest, your answer will be no.  Therefore Rudolph’s actions were directly relevant to Garrett swing a helmet at him.  This does not excuse or justify Garrett’s actions, but it shows clear relevance between Garrett’s act & Rudolphs actions that came beforehand.
Of course Garrett wouldn't have if Rudolph didn't, but it still doesn't matter.

I think we are talking past each other a bit. My only point is that Garrett's punishment, in no way shape or form, should be impacted by what Rudolph did (and vice versa). That makes Rudolph's actions, even as the precipitating event, irrelevant. They simply don't factor into Garrett's suspension.

To be very clear, I am not defending Rudolph in any way, shape or form. He's an idiot who should have kept his composure and he has earned whatever punishment comes down.

Of course Garrett wouldn't have if Rudolph didn't, but it still doesn't matter.

I think we are talking past each other a bit. My only point is that Garrett's punishment, in no way shape or form, should be impacted by what Rudolph did (and vice versa). That makes Rudolph's actions, even as the precipitating event, irrelevant. They simply don't factor into Garrett's suspension.

To be very clear, I am not defending Rudolph in any way, shape or form. He's an idiot who should have kept his composure and he has earned whatever punishment comes down.
I agree; Garrett deserved the suspension, regardless of what events came before his actions.  I don’t think that’s in question.

Of course he could try but, I think he will wisely appeal his fine then let it all die.
No need to bring up your character integrity for further impeachment, either. What if he was a sexist, racist, etc. in high school or college? I'm way more forgiving than most, but it would still be newsworthy because of his public stature and his now being really thrust front-and-center into the news. And some guys' Twitter feeds don't age well. 

Mason Rudolph was benched in the third quarter of Steelers' Week 12 game against the Bengals.

The Steelers are going back to Devlin "Duck" Hodges. Rudolph went 8-of-16 for 85 yards and an interception before getting benched with the interception coming inside the Bengals' five-yard line. He also took a hideous 13-yard sack. Rudolph has been unreal bad all year. This was a move that needed to be made. It's evident Rudolph is not the long-term answer in Pittsburgh

Rudolph has regressed to the point that he shouldn’t be starting.  If something happens to Duck the Steelers should give Lynch a shot. 

Users who are viewing this thread