What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mason Rudolph, PIT (1 Viewer)

It isn't schtick. 

The guy is actually a legit fantasy champ so he says Rudolph is a buy-low with a high ceiling.

--------------------------------------------------

Drake Jordan@DynastyChamp1

Yes, Mason Rudolph IS this year's Lamar Jackson -

• Ben is coming off a serious arm injury at 38 years old, he is likely to be injured again -
  • Mason is young (25 in July) with significant 3rd round draft capital -
  • Can be aquired in the 10th round or later in fantasy drafts
-----------------------------------------------------

These losers hopping into my mentions wouldn't last more than 5 minutes in the (high stakes) ring with me. Im one of the best fantasy football players of all time for a damn good reason pal.
I think I follow that guy specifically because I thought he was a funny schtick. You sure it's not?

It isn't schtick. 

The guy is actually a legit fantasy champ so he says Rudolph is a buy-low with a high ceiling.

--------------------------------------------------

Yes, Mason Rudolph IS this year's Lamar Jackson -

• Ben is coming off a serious arm injury at 38 years old, he is likely to be injured again -
  • Mason is young (25 in July) with significant 3rd round draft capital -
  • Can be aquired in the 10th round or later in fantasy drafts
-----------------------------------------------------

These losers hopping into my mentions wouldn't last more than 5 minutes in the (high stakes) ring with me. Im one of the best fantasy football players of all time for a damn good reason pal.
What rock does this guy live under?

It's a bit.  Read some of his other tweets, he's almost always baiting twitter fantasy nerds into being outraged.

Rotoworld take:

Mason Rudolph will start at quarterback for Pittsburgh in Week 17 against the Browns. 

The Steelers having a shot at the No. 2 seed in the AFC is apparently not enough motivation to start Ben Roethlisberger against Cleveland. Starting Rudolph could signal that Mike Tomlin will sit many key starters in the season's final week. Tomlin said Tuesday that he's "not overly concerned" about players keeping their rhythm headed into the postseason. Rudolph under center makes the team's pass catchers hands-off for fantasy purposes, and turns the Browns defense into a top Week 17 option. Last season against the Browns, Rudolph completed 23-of-44 passes for 221 yards, one touchdown, and four interceptions before being hit in the head with his own helmet. 

RELATED: 

Ben Roethlisberger

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Dec 29, 2020, 12:10 PM ET

Rudolph has shown flashes but his biggest problem is he rarely throws the ball more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.  If he continues that trend it should be a pretty easy day for the Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudolph has shown flashes but his biggest problem is he rarely throws the ball more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.  If he continues that trend it should be a pretty easy day for the Browns.
Steelers homer here. And I agree.

When Mason was drafted in the 3rd round they claimed they had a 1st round grade on him. 

At best he will be a career backup.  If he ever starts it will be out of necessity.  In other words he’s not very good. 

I can't read the article but I hope the title is click bait. Garrett vs Rudolph is such a minor story here. The Browns NEED this win, period. No one in CLE gives a flying #### about that old story.
Click bait as the opening of the article reads as follows:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Myles Garrett vs. Mason Rudolph: Part 2 will be the headliner Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium in the Browns’ win-and-in showdown with the Steelers.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin announced Tuesday that backup quarterback Mason Rudolph will start in place of Ben Roethlisberger in a huge game in which the Browns can clinch their first playoff berth in 18 years. The Steelers clinched the AFC North on Sunday and are the No. 3 seed in the playoffs. This year, only the No. 1 seed, Kansas City, gets a first-round bye.

“Given an opportunity to airmail a player or two into the postseason, we’ll do that,’' Tomlin said during his Zoom press conference.

It sets up a rematch between Rudolph and Garrett, who was suspended the final six games of last season for ripping off the QB’s helmet and hitting him over the head with it in the final seconds of the Browns’ 21-7 victory Nov. 14 on Thursday Night Football.

Garrett, who’s No. 6 in the NFL with 12.0 sacks this season and can set the Browns single-season record with 2.5 on Sunday, later said Rudolph called him the “N’' word, a charge that Rudolph vehemently denies.

Rudolph, who was also suspended a game for his role in the brawl, completed 23-of-44 attempts that game for 221 yards, with one touchdown and four interceptions. He was sacked four times, and earned a 36.3 rating.

Tomlin said he hadn’t yet talked to Rudolph but “I’m sure he’s excited about getting an opportunity to start, certainly.’'

Mason Rudolph completed 22-of-39 passes for 315 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Steelers' 24-22, Week 17 loss to the Browns. 

Making his first start since his ugly 2019 fill-in campaign for Ben Roethlisberger, Rudolph posted a new career high for passing yards. The multi-score start was just his fifth. It came against a depleted defense that isn't good against the pass even at full strength, but it might have been enough to keep Rudolph in the No. 2 mix for 2021. We still think the Steelers need to get more serious about finding a more competent No. 2 for their rapidly-aging starter. 

- Rotoworld

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes "all signs point" to Mason Rudolph as the Steelers' starting QB in 2022. 

A rookie class bereft of elite quarterback prospects and a free agent QB pool without a standout name could mean the Steelers will be stuck with Rudolph for at least one season. In three years in Pittsburgh, Rudolph has shown he's not a long-term answer under center. He's completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, with a middling 6.2 adjusted yards per attempt over 17 regular season appearances (including 10 starts). Rudolph was embarrassing in his Week 10 start against Detroit, a 16-16 tie in which Pittsburgh managed one touchdown -- and 4.8 yards per pass attempt -- against the porous Lions defense. Rudolph as the team's starter would represent a severe downgrade for every pass catcher in the Steelers offense. Ultimately, we find it very hard to believe the Steelers won't find a different solution. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 18, 2022, 8:25 AM ET

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Mason Rudolph would be the team's starting quarterback if the season started today. 

"He’s 5-4-1 as a starter," said Colbert, who's stepping aside as GM after the NFL Draft. "We’re excited to see what’s next for Mason." Colbert said the Steelers would add two more QBs to the roster by training camp; he didn't say whether that would be through the draft or free agency. The Athletic's Mark Kaboly said in January that "all signs point" to Rudolph taking over as the Steelers' starter in 2022, though we'd be surprised if Pittsburgh didn't pursue a QB in free agency. Head coach Mike Tomlin has been open about his desire for a dual-threat quarterback in the post-Roethlisberger era. Rudolph completed 60.2 percent of his passes in 2021 at a clip of 4.8 yards per attempt, just above Mike Glennon. 

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter 

Feb 21, 2022, 11:45 AM ET

Why can’t they just be honest and say he’s not even back up material?  Any time you rank next to Mike Glennon you can’t have confidence in anything.  They clearly need at least 2 QBs brought in as they mention in the article.  

So he'll have a job as A QB?  Yeah, prolly. 

The guy already had all the "positives" mentioned in the fluff of that article....and yet the Steelers immediately put the new guy, who almost everyone views as a failure to this point in his career, above him in the pecking order for reps.

If he's any good at reading tea leaves at all, Mason shouldn't be buying a second house in Washington County or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean c'mon. Rudolph? On Christmas Eve?Day weekend?
Rudolph with your arm so tight...won't you guide my team tonight...
Oh how The Steelers loved him...as they shouted out with glee...
Rudolph the tight armed QB...you'll go down in history...you'll go down in hi.....story!

Users who are viewing this thread