What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movie Franchise: Star Wars or Marvel? (1 Viewer)

Well?

• Star Wars

Votes: 57 47.1%
  • Marvel

Votes: 64 52.9%

• Total voters

Capella

CAPELLODINHO
Pick one. Based off the entire series — if you could only pick one, or which one is better, whatever your criteria. Talking just the MCU, not the x-men or Deadpool movies. 

I think the demos of this old ### board population will pick Star Wars but if the crowd here was 25 or so it would go Marvel. 

Movies only. No books, comics or tv shows. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO it depends on which Marvel.  If it's the Netflix version of Marvel, then Star Wars by a ton.  If it's the Marvel movies, it's very close for me, although I would still lean towards Star Wars.

Apples to oranges to me.

I like Star Wars better as a story set in 3 trilogies.

I like Marvel better as one-off movies (even though there is an over-arching story line)

IMO it depends on which Marvel.  If it's the Netflix version of Marvel, then Star Wars by a ton.  If it's the Marvel movies, it's very close for me, although I would still lean towards Star Wars.
Movies only. Netflix shows are too long and overwrought. 

I'm pretty much the opposite.  If it's just the movies then Star Wars, but DD and Punisher are awesome on Netflix

Voted Marvel, and I'm a Star Wars guy.  I grew up in the 80s and claim to have seen all movies, in theater, first run (I was 2 or 3 in 1977, my folks took me to a drive-in).

Marvel has a lot more depth, better action, and like Star Wars, characters I grew up with.

I know - it's easy to fall for nostalgia, but if we are being honest, Marvel is better.

old guy here and was born and bred on Star Wars but I would choose Marvel.  The 19 Marvel movies have had more consistency for me than the 9 Star Wars movies.

but luckily I don't have to choose and can enjoy them both :)

old guy here and was born and bred on Star Wars but I would choose Marvel.  The 19 Marvel movies have had more consistency for me than the 9 Star Wars movies.

no.  You loose all nerd cred if you refuse to choose.  You have to pick one.

Unfortunately 1-3 count or else I think it’s SW clearly. I still voted that way though and I love the Marvel movies. 

I just think for a nerd there is no topping the original trilogy but infinity wars did come close. 

1978-1998 Star Wars

1999 - An affront to humanity.

2000-2004 Marvel (presuming we're counting X-Men films)

2005 Star Wars

2006-Present Marvel

Star Wars 1 and 2 are virtually unwatchable. #3, 7 and 8 are decent but deeply flawed additions to the story. And only the original trilogy stands as true classics. Rogue One is a nice side story.

Plus there is limited future left within the Star Wars universe. One more left in the 3rd trilogy. The upcoming Solo movie which looks awful. And what else really?

Marvel has 19 movies done with the worst of the bunch, Thor, Dark World, still being more watchable than SW Ep1 and 2. And the future of Marvel is far more bright with the conslusion to Infinity War, plus sequels to all characters still coming. Add on top of that the beginning of the Xmen and Fantastic Four universes (done right) and we'll have 30+ movies to watch before 2021.

It's not even that close and the fact that SW is winning shows that people are answering with their hearts and not their heads.

I don't think anything will ever match A New Hope to me for more reasons than need be mentioned. Even though I think Winter Soldier easily matches ANH for quality story telling, it still falls short.

That being said...

Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks.

You can't ignore those two.

Hayden Christiansen?

Midichlorians?

Marvel may have some weak films and moments but I don't think they have ever done something that approaches the occassional stupidity and tone deaf nature of what Lucas has done to the Star Wars brand (evil alien trade merchants which are caricatures straight out of a 1942 Bugs Bunny propaganda cartoon, anyone?)

And as much as Revenge of the Sith salvaged the train wreck that was the second trilogy so much of the dialogue was incerdibly stupid.

Marvel is the better curated franchise and it's really not close.

Marvel crushes Star Wars in both story and film quality.  I love me some Star Wars and really appreciate what they did to expand the sci-fi genre in both a technical and story perspective, but Marvel just seems so much more tight and purposeful.  Plus superheros are hella cool. 

Star Wars 1 and 2 are virtually unwatchable. #3, 7 and 8 are decent but deeply flawed additions to the story. And only the original trilogy stands as true classics. Rogue One is a nice side story.

Plus there is limited future left within the Star Wars universe. One more left in the 3rd trilogy. The upcoming Solo movie which looks awful. And what else really.
I am always fascinated that some one can consider the abomination of the Ewoks a true classic :)   There was a lot to like in 6 but there is a ton to not like as well if watching with an unbiased eye.

As for the Star Wars future, I believe there are two more trilogies being planned, one of them by the Game of Thrones creators http://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-game-of-thrones-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/.  

We will also have at least one more anthology film after 9 (focused on either Obi or Boba).

IMO, until at least 2 straight Star Wars movies completely bomb at the box office, we are going to have them for many many many more years.

And as much as Revenge of the Sith salvaged the train wreck that was the second trilogy so much of the dialogue was incredibly stupid.
I liked 3 as much as 6 but even saying that, ### #### it is hard to get past "I have the higher ground".  What moronic writing :)

I liked 3 as much as 6 but even saying that, ### #### it is hard to get past "I have the higher ground".  What moronic writing :)
I think RoTS has the highest percentage of terrible dialogue of any movie I consider to be good. 

Both RoTS and RoTJ have deep flaws (even as a kid I understood that Ewoks were a terrible story choice) but I still like them.

Still, s bad at The Dark World was Marvel doesn't seem to make those type of severe tactical errors and when they do make bad calls like Ang Lee's Hulk, they own it and start over. (I remember reading that Marvel dumped Ed Norton because he's apparently a real PITA to work with, but I can't verify that).

:shrug:  I voted Star Wars. Think the overall quality and stories are better. Marvel quality is very impressive though. Love it. 
I grew up on Star Wars and love it, but I honestly don't know how people can vote this way.   To me it said a lot when I didn't even know that Last Jedi was out on bluray, and still have no desire to own it, and I have zero desire to see Solo this summer.  

As an executed series of movies, we have never seen something like the MU juggernaut.  Sure there have been 2-3 that I would pass on out of 19, but even with those it has been amazing how they are able to juggle everything and tie everything together while still making every movie feel like their own thing.  Hell, Disney couldn't even accomplish having flow from Star Wars 7 --> Star Wars 8, and it feels like they don't have a clue where they want the story to go.  

I voted Star Wars but I’m not sure.  I wasn’t a comics guy, but I’ve really enjoyed the Marvel movies.  Plus I have kids to watch Marvel movies with (they aren’t into Star Wars).  I think my heart votes Star Wars because lightsabers and Sith/Jedi are just cooler.  And I loved the Clone Wars cartoon. 

Marvel and it isn't close.

Though Star Wars currently owns 100% of the nostalgia vote. And that is understandable. Talking about the Star Wars universe and its lore is more enjoyable then watching 70% of the Star Wars films.

Let's try this another way:

Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye

Vs

Luke Skywalker, Anakin (ep III version), Obi Wan, Quai Gon Jin, Yoda, Mace Windu

=========

When you stack it up like this, it should become obvious that Avengers is far deeper than Star Wars...Star wars has to combine heros from a bunch of movies just to get to the numbers of heros in Avengers...and play the Sam L card.  And, that doesn't even touch Falcon, War Machine, Scarlet Witch, GotG, Spider Man, Ant Man, Vision, Dr Strange. Black Panther...

But I digress.  I say Avenvers would win in a fair fight against an equal number of top Jedi.

I say Avenvers would win in a fair fight against an equal number of top Jedi.
I used to do this for the longest time.

I saw a documentary on Stan Lee and he commented about the frequent questions he gets about "Who would win in a fight..." The question related to Hulk vs...because it always comes down to Hulk vs...in Marvel comics.

So this specific question was "Who would win in a fight between Hulk vs The Juggernaut?" (My impulse would be to say Hulk six days a week and twice on Sunday.) Stan Lee's answer was "It depends on who is writing the comic."

Voted Marvel, and I'm a Star Wars guy.  I grew up in the 80s and claim to have seen all movies, in theater, first run (I was 2 or 3 in 1977, my folks took me to a drive-in).

Marvel has a lot more depth, better action, and like Star Wars, characters I grew up with.

I know - it's easy to fall for nostalgia, but if we are being honest, Marvel is better.
This is me too.

Hey @Chaka, what do you think?

Ps: I've enjoyed the Marvel movies immensely but if they didn't exist my life would be the same. I'd still have Marvel in the media that means the most to the characters (comics).

When I was growing up Star Wars meant everything. I used to say if I had a false religion, I'd pick Star Wars. Nothing will ever top episode 4 and Empire first run in the theater, and 20th anniversary re-release was also great.

Never have to wait in line for a Marvel movie, and wouldn't want to. Haven't seen many more than once in the theater, and no need to really (although I'll see Infinity War again probably). 

Star Wars wins for me. But don't get me wrong, Disney has finally made childhood dreams come true for both franchises. 

• Iron Man
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor
  • Capt America, the First Avenger
  • The Avengers
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor, The Dark World
  • Capt America, the Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Avengers, Age of Ultron
  • Ant-Man
  • Capt America, Civil War
  • Doctor Strange
  • Spider Man, Homecoming
  • Thor, Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Avengers Infinity War

Ant-Man and the Wasp
  • Captain Marvel
  • TBD - Infinity War part 2

• Star Wars                                            
  • Empire Strikes Back
  • Return of the Jedi
  • The Phantom Menace
  • Attack of the Clones
  • Revenge of the Sith
  • The Force Awakens
  • The Last Jedi

TBD -- Part 9

[*]Rogue One

• Solo

* Left off The Incredible Hulk which unlike the others didnt have Kevin Fiege as the driving force behind it. And its probably equal to 1/2 of the Star Wars offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread