What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (2 Viewers)

His TD rate was unsustainable but hopefully he gets more volume. The interesting part is that the 49ers just weren’t throwing the call much to WRs those games. So while his WR totals were low, they represented a very large share of WR targets.

Weeks 12-15 were the weeks he was hot. He got 26 targets in those 4 games. All other 49ers WRs got 29 targets during those games. There’s plenty of room for other WRs to cut into his share.
For sure, that TD rate seems unsustainable.  I was more just pointing out how effective he was with a small amount of targets.  I get the hype building around him, historically the Shanahan offense has been a boon for the X, and I believe that is where Pettis is going to play.  There are a lot of variables though, undeniably.  The addition of Deebo, the target volume that Kittle will earn, the likely target volume that the RB's will see, and Jimmy G.  We still haven't seen Jimmy G for a season in the offense, or with Pettis.  If his ADP stays in the 30's, I love the potential there.  Hopefully the hype train doesn't get out of control and push him to the point that he has to hit his upside to pay off. 

Goodwin might be healthy but the biggest threat would be from Deebo who they drafted even higher than Pettis. 
So confused with this whole situation as a previous Goodwin owner. Picked him up right when he went odd but will he ever get back to his short term productive self or is he already on his way out? So there is Goodwin, Samuel and Pettis and everyone and their mother is high on Pettis, who could very well be the #1 but I have to think the value is with Goodwin or Samuel. 

So confused with this whole situation as a previous Goodwin owner. Picked him up right when he went odd but will he ever get back to his short term productive self or is he already on his way out? So there is Goodwin, Samuel and Pettis and everyone and their mother is high on Pettis, who could very well be the #1 but I have to think the value is with Goodwin or Samuel. 
I think the Goodwin shares are likely dead but they are worth holding for another couple months 

Goodwin stock may have taken off, but it was done without regard to his high likelihood of injury. Then he got injured again. But at least it wasn't another concussion! 

Pettis is apparently the X, which gets the most volume in this offense. 

Goodwin I think is on his way out. 

Samuel is polished, and hes a wildcard of sorts not knowing where where will line up, probably mostly in the slot. 

I'm not sure who I think makes it in this offense. If I'm in redraft its Pettis. Dynasty I'm not sure. I think Samuel has that "it factor" and seems to be more capable of making plays than Pettis. I'm trying to decide if I see some politeness to Pettis' game or if he just seems "meh" to me. Like a Funchess/Moncrief. His injury history doesnt help

Pettis is apparently the X, which gets the most volume in this offense. 

Goodwin I think is on his way out. 

Samuel is polished, and hes a wildcard of sorts not knowing where where will line up, probably mostly in the slot. 

I'm not sure who I think makes it in this offense. If I'm in redraft its Pettis. Dynasty I'm not sure. I think Samuel has that "it factor" and seems to be more capable of making plays than Pettis. I'm trying to decide if I see some politeness to Pettis' game or if he just seems "meh" to me. Like a Funchess/Moncrief. His injury history doesnt help
Not sure how you came up with Funchess & Moncrief as meh comps on Pettis. Pettis is really fun to watch, he's got a very unique route running style where one second he is covered and then he makes a couple of dips and is wide open. He doesn't do it with speed, but he consistently gets open with body movement. He seems like a really intelligent type player who just understands how to create separation in his routes. I like Deebo a lot also, but Pettis looks like he will fit right in and either could end up being great value in Dynasty Leagues.

Not sure how you came up with Funchess & Moncrief as meh comps on Pettis. Pettis is really fun to watch, he's got a very unique route running style where one second he is covered and then he makes a couple of dips and is wide open. He doesn't do it with speed, but he consistently gets open with body movement. He seems like a really intelligent type player who just understands how to create separation in his routes. I like Deebo a lot also, but Pettis looks like he will fit right in and either could end up being great value in Dynasty Leagues.
Not a comp in terms of playing style, size, or anything. More thinking fantasy production. 

• Thanks
Reactions: mcd
Did a dyno startuo awhile ago and he went undrafted....i added him during waivers fcfs......i drafted pettis in the startup....everyone forgets marqis n jimmy g had a great rapport at the end of 2018....
I just saw him jump off an elephant into a lake and catch the ball way down between his legs 

I think you are way off on this one, DR. Dan. Moncrief and Funchess are WRs who fail to stand out in any way. Pettis is one of the most unique receivers out there. If you just want to say he looks like low production to you, say that. Comparing him to low production guys who play a completely different game is confusing.

From coachspeak, the goal is to have Pettis, Deebo and Kittle virtually interchangeable so the defense never knows what's coming or who will line up where. They are all 3 learning every route at all three positions (the receivers, of course, learning routes instead of blocking from many TE positions) although all Shanahan receivers can block. This flexibility has been a Shanahan trait and they are pushing it even further. Drafting Hurd was confirmation, as his primary trait is that he has played and can play every skill position except QB, and all well. I get the hope for this year to be Kittle and Pettis to start with Deebo as a rook and Goodwin (and even Hurd) rotating in the third spot. I think we see any 2 of Kittle, Deebo and Goodwin with Pettis in "11" sets. A major goal is to be the least predictable team in football coming to the line.

Long term, I think they see Pettis, Deebo and Kittle as their lineup, with Goodwin and Hurd as plus backups with very different skills. Not recognizing the unique ability Pettis has to change direction and get wide open, despite his average speed, is missing the boat. I think he's a major bargain now, as people like Dan who are seeking speed and power look elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are way off on this one, DR. Dan. Moncrief and Funchess are WRs who fail to stand out in any way. Pettis is one of the most unique receivers out there. If you just want to say he looks like low production to you, say that. Comparing him to low production guys who play a completely different game is confusing.

From coachspeak, the goal is to have Pettis, Deebo and Kittle virtually interchangeable so the defense never knows what's coming or who will line up where. They are all 3 learning every route at all three positions (the receivers, of course, learning routes instead of blocking from many TE positions) although all Shanahan receivers can block. This flexibility has been a Shanahan trait and they are pushing it even further. Drafting Hurd was confirmation, as his primary trait is that he has played and can play every skill position except QB, and all well. I get the hope for this year to be Kittle and Pettis to start with Deebo as a rook and Goodwin (and even Hurd) rotating in the third spot. I think we see any 2 of Kittle, Deebo and Goodwin with Pettis in "11" sets. A major goal is to be the least predictable team in football coming to the line.

Long term, I think they see Pettis, Deebo and Kittle as their lineup, with Goodwin and Hurd as plus backups with very different skills. Not recognizing the unique ability Pettis has to change direction and get wide open, despite his average speed, is missing the boat. I think he's a major bargain now, as people like Dan who are seeking speed and power look elsewhere.
I'm not seeking speed and power, rather I like route runners. Pettis co fuses me because I dont kbkw how to judge him. Some of the games he was healthy for he was incredible. But that was with Mullins... I honestly dont know what to think about this offense. 

I'm not seeking speed and power, rather I like route runners. Pettis co fuses me because I dont kbkw how to judge him. Some of the games he was healthy for he was incredible. But that was with Mullins... I honestly dont know what to think about this offense. 
This is why Pettis is an awesome buy in dynasty if you can find an owner who’s also down on him (or at least not high on him). He’s shown something at least in the pros but there are enough question marks around the offense that it’s a bit of a crap shoot that brings a discount with it. I think there’s a solid WR2 in there somewhere that can come out if Garapolo can be close to as good as 9er fans hope, and Pettis shows similar to what he showed (when healthy) last year. And, yeah, he needs to stay healthy. 

This is why Pettis is an awesome buy in dynasty if you can find an owner who’s also down on him (or at least not high on him). He’s shown something at least in the pros but there are enough question marks around the offense that it’s a bit of a crap shoot that brings a discount with it. I think there’s a solid WR2 in there somewhere that can come out if Garapolo can be close to as good as 9er fans hope, and Pettis shows similar to what he showed (when healthy) last year. And, yeah, he needs to stay healthy. 
FTR: Pettis is a "projected miss"

If he can stay healthy I think he can be something, but that whole offense is a mystery to me with Jimmy g finally getting to play. Heck, I was offered Jimmy G and a 2020 3rd for Dak Prescott. I didnt know what to do. 

FTR: Pettis is a "projected miss"

If he can stay healthy I think he can be something, but that whole offense is a mystery to me with Jimmy g finally getting to play. Heck, I was offered Jenny G and a 2020 3rd for Dak Prescott. I didnt know what to do. 
In a start 1 QB league where NEITHER would be my starter (hopefully) I take that for the “free” 3rd rounder. 

Grant Cohn @grantcohn

Marquise Goodwin currently is the 49ers' starting split end. Dante Pettis was the starting flanker until today, when Kendrick Bourne replaced him in the starting lineup. Pettis is having a rough camp.

rich madrid @richjmadrid

What’s he struggling with

Grant Cohn @grantcohn

Hanging onto the ball. Today, Greg Mabin ripped the ball out of his hands after a catch. Through nine practices, Pettis has dropped four passes and caught just 7 of 18 targets from Garoppolo.

According to Grant Cohn (49'ers beat writer, Garapollo hasn't target Pettis since Sunday

Players with the most targets from Jimmy Garoppolo thru Day 10 of training camp:

George Kittle: 26 (16 catches)

Trent Taylor: 22 (15 catches)

Dante Pettis: 18 (7 catches)

Tevin Coleman: 14 (5 catches)

Marquise Goodwin: 10 (4 catches)

Ty Smith @topshelf_ty  Replying to @grantcohn

Wasn’t Dante at 18 targets yesterday. Did he not practice or not get targeted?

Grant Cohn @grantcohn 

Garoppolo hasn’t targeted him since Sunday.

“I wanted him to compete. We’re trying to see who our starting receivers are, & I wanted to get him a chance to get out there. … Dante has a lot of room to grow. He can still get a lot better.”

Shanny on Pettis.  Implying he isn't necessarily the starter.  

“I wanted him to compete. We’re trying to see who our starting receivers are, & I wanted to get him a chance to get out there. … Dante has a lot of room to grow. He can still get a lot better.”

Shanny on Pettis.  Implying he isn't necessarily the starter.  
Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva 4h4 hours ago

I’ve sprinkled in Pettis & Deebo lately and don’t have plans to stop. Been getting more Deebo in recent drafts. Need more Hurd. Kittle is obviously the big beneficiary with WR roles so unsettled

-----------------------------------------------------------

Replying to @evansilva

Only 1 preseason game but Deebo & Hurd, sure look like a good tandem for the future @evansilva

-------------------------------------

Replying to @evansilva

Hurd and Deebo looked solid last night

There's a clip of him breaking a Cowboy player's ankles.  I see all these clips of him being a nasty route runner, and then keep hearing how he's not delivering in camp.  I got him in all of my dynasty leagues, really hoping he picks it up in the next few weeks.

I really like Pettis in college.  Barring injury I think he will be solid.  Having said that, I believe Samuel will be their #1 WR more sooner than later.

Sounds like he's still expected back week 1.
Shanahan said “hoping to” but later amended not expecting it.”

Six to nine weeks per fantasy doctors.

PSA - don’t go to that guys other YT channel under his name if you are squeamish. Sheesh...right before dinner, too.

My ECR of choice has his consensus at WR99 (54 analysts) with a high of WR68. I don’t have him in my top 80 for his position but I’m aware he was having a good camp.

SANTA CLARA -- The two rookie wide receivers are coming on strong during 49ers training camp.

Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd have shown the kind of aggressive mentalities that coach Kyle Shanahan wants to see from all of his wide receivers. In that area, the rookies are leading the charge.

Meanwhile, Dante Pettis, who was expected to be the team’s top wide receiver in his second season, has yet to consistently step up his game on the practice field. Pettis has not demonstrated the kind of attitude that has enabled Hurd and Samuel to make a strong impression.

Link

SANTA CLARA -- The two rookie wide receivers are coming on strong during 49ers training camp.

Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd have shown the kind of aggressive mentalities that coach Kyle Shanahan wants to see from all of his wide receivers. In that area, the rookies are leading the charge.

Meanwhile, Dante Pettis, who was expected to be the team’s top wide receiver in his second season, has yet to consistently step up his game on the practice field. Pettis has not demonstrated the kind of attitude that has enabled Hurd and Samuel to make a strong impression.

Link
Kyle did a long presser on Friday, and there was some question addressing receivers:

Who has the most aggressive hands on the team?

“It’s different. When you come to aggressive hands, I mean there’s guys with good hand eye, which [WR] Dante [Pettis] is up there with his hand-eye and stuff, but when you go to the strongest most aggressive hands, I’m going to go with [WR Kendrick] Bourne, Deebo and Jalen.”

ETA: some other WR Qs I missed at first glance...

We saw QB Jimmy Garoppolo connect with WR Trent Taylor I believe three times in the red zone today. For one, how good is that to see considering where they were at the end of 2017 and what about each of their games kind of makes them be able to gel so well in close quarters like that?

“I mean, Trent’s got a very good feel for his zone. Trent, he’s one of our better man-to-man players, but he also has a feel out there where he can just feel open areas. And there’s a lot of guys who are just supposed to run the route that’s called and then they see a space and they can adjust it and there are a lot of guys who think they can do that but they can’t. Trent’s one of the guys who can. I mean, if he sees something and changes a route it’s usually because he should. And I think Jimmy has a good feel for him in that way and sometimes when guys are like that you’ll stay on them a little bit longer than usual instead of progressing to the next option.”

WR Jalen Hurd started off by showing you stuff as a run blocker and kind of the aggression, but is he showing that also now catching the ball?

“Definitely. He’s got an aggressiveness to him that he’s big and stuff so I think you guys can see that blocking, but that’s what I like about him and [WR] Deebo [Samuel]. I mean, both of them, they’re big guys. I know Deebo doesn’t have the same height, but they’re both big guys, big targets, who have strong hands, who can defeat holdings. When guys are on them they’re not thrown off their routes as much and not only do they have the bodies like that, but they have the mentalities to go with it.

You had Hurd on the front side today and I think he cracked down on a defensive end and that kind of speaks to how confident you are having him blocking right. Is that something you could use in the season as well?

“Yeah, definitely. I mean, we do that with Trent a lot too. Actually, Jalen blocked him too good today because he knocked him into a tackle and picked our tackle so the WILL backer could go make the tackle, they should have gotten someone littler on it. But, that shows he is a bigger guy, it’s not like he means to, he’s just bigger. There’s not a receiver on our team that we won’t ask to do that. They all have to be able to do that. You don’t just put the obvious guy there, but he should be the best at it, he’s the biggest.”

How can you tell if a guy has strong hands?

“How they attack the ball. You know how the guys who get a rebound you can feel the ball up in there and they grab it like it’s going to pop. People tell you growing up have soft hands and you absorb it and stuff, but that’s not people teaching you how to catch. I want people with aggressive hands where you’re running through the ball, you’re attacking it. People can be on your wrists and stuff, but you are popping that basketball every time. Those are like the [Cleveland Browns WR] Jarvis Landry’s, going back to [free agent WR] Brandon Marshall. When you have hands like [former NFL WR] Anquan Boldin, when you have hands like that you don’t always have to separate and if you have those type of hands and you can separate, then you have a chance to be special.”

Kyle Shanahan talks injuries, strongest hands & Jalen Hurd

Reading between the lines, doesn’t sound like Pettis has done much to impress his HC so far.

First-game flaws too familiar for 49ers  

3. Dante Pettis has been a disappointment.

When training camp began, Shanahan seemed to think Pettis would win the wide-receiver competition. He received more targets from Garoppolo (22) than any other receiver besides Taylor.

But Pettis caught just eight of Garoppolo’s 22 passes in training camp — 36 percent. Not good. On Saturday, instead of resting along with several other starters, Pettis had to play with all the other 49ers fighting for jobs.

“I wanted (Pettis) to compete,” Shanahan said after the game. “We’re trying to see who our starting receivers are and I wanted to get him a chance to get out there. Dante has a lot of room to grow.”

That’s a euphemism for he needs to improve. The 49ers traded up to take Pettis in the second round of the 2018 draft, partially because he was an excellent punt returner in college. He returned nine punts for touchdowns at Washington — an NCAA record. Against the Cowboys, he returned one punt and lost a yard. He also played 17 snaps on offense and caught zero passes.

Pettis may have allowed Samuel or Hurd to take his starting job.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan insists Dante Pettis must "compete" for his starting role.

"We’re trying to see who our starting receivers are and I wanted to get him a chance to get out there," said Shanahan, explaining his reasoning for playing Pettis while resting others including Jimmy Garoppolo, George Kittle, Tevin Coleman and Matt Breida in Saturday's preseason opener. "Dante has a lot of room to grow. He can still get a lot better." Earlier this offseason it appeared Pettis had a starting job in the bag, but apparently that's not the case. Pettis goose-egged (he was only targeted once) over his 17 snaps against the Cowboys on Saturday while Jalen Hurd starred with two touchdowns. Second-round rookie Deebo Samuel also made an impact for San Francisco, delivering a highlight-reel 45-yard catch on a deep bomb from C.J. Beathard. With Hurd and Samuel both coming on strong, now would be a good time for Pettis to pick up the pace.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Aug 12, 2019, 9:14 AM ET

For what it's worth, he looked great off the snap a couple of times in the first game. Was open and Mullens didn't get him the ball. 

Josh Norris @JoshNorris

Since August 1, Dante Pettis' ADP has dropped two full rounds (25 spots). 71 overall to 96 overall. Now WR42.

Users who are viewing this thread