What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (2 Viewers)

I don't understand the handwringing here. It's a couple of preseason games. He still ran with the starters and the offense was horrible. 

Nick Mensio @NickMensio

Deebo Samuel and Marquise Goodwin are the #49ers' projected starting WRs in

@mattbarrows

latest 53-man roster projection. Has SF cutting Richie James and Kendrick Bourne:

Nick Mensio @NickMensio

Deebo Samuel and Marquise Goodwin are the #49ers' projected starting WRs in

@mattbarrows

latest 53-man roster projection. Has SF cutting Richie James and Kendrick Bourne:
Interesting. 

Edit: I was way off - I thought Goodwin was behind Samuel, Pettis and Taylor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Niner beat writers seemed to think he'd lead the team in catches this year prior to the injury, but most likely out of the slot. Goodwin and Samuel outside.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said there's "hope" Trent Taylor (foot) will be ready for Week 1.

Taylor suffered what is known as a "Jones fracture," though luckily the Niners caught it quick enough that it won't cost him much time. A complete fracture likely would have shelved Taylor 8-10 weeks, but instead San Francisco is hoping to get him back in about 4-6. Jalen Hurd, Richie James and Jordan Matthews should all see increased slot opportunities in Taylor's absence, however long it may be.

From Rotoworld. Good news. 

Dante Pettis and Marquise Goodwin played all 11 snaps with the first-team offense in Monday night's second preseason game against the Broncos.

Jordan Matthews played five snaps, and the other Niners receivers were in on zero downs with the Jimmy Garoppolo group. There's been a ton of talk about Pettis losing his starting job with a lackluster summer in practice, but this would suggest he's very much atop the depth chart. For now. The Athletic's Matt Barrows projects Goodwin and second-rounder Deebo Samuel to be the starters for Week 1, but Samuel played zero snaps with Garoppolo Monday and was a strict second-teamer. We're still on Pettis as the X receiver for San Francisco. Coach Kyle Shanahan may have just been trying to light a fire under his second-year wideout when he said Pettis needed to "compete" more for his starting role.

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter

Aug 20, 2019, 9:56 PM ET

SANTA CLARA – Kyle Shanahan spent a portion of his media session Thursday expressing his delight with this group of 49ers, insisting that the next 10 days, when he and general manager John Lynch trim the roster to 53 players, will be the most difficult yet.

“This is different than every other year where we’ve had to where getting down to this final 53 is going to be a lot more stressful for John and I than it has been in the past,” Shanahan said, referring to his first two seasons as coach.

“Usually, you’re excited to do it a little bit more, because we already know who it is and we’re hoping, we think there’s five guys on someone else’s roster that we can add to our 53. We know we have more than 53 players now and we’ve also got a lot of guys out, too.”

Shanahan seemed particularly pleased with thepotential of his receiving corps, with its broad combination of sizes and shapes and experience levels.

“We’ve got some guys who need to understand and get more confident in the physical part of the game,” Shanahan said. “And then we’ve got some guys who have no issue with the physical part of the game. They’ve got to be able to chill out a little bit and quit trying to kill people and execute.”

Though Shanahan avoided identifying which players fit into which category, it has become apparent the coaching staff craves more assertiveness from second-year wideout Dante Pettis.

With rookies Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd going full blast, Pettis looks to be cruising. He seems to realize it and believes he has hit his personal restart button.

“I finally feel like I’m now getting back to how I should be playing -- explosive and consistent,” Pettis told NBC Sports Bay Area. “I got off to kind of a slow start, but I feel like I’m picking it up.”

Pettis’ ability is not in question. He inherited wheels from his father, Gary Pettis, who stole 354 bases over 10 big league seasons as a center fielder for four different teams. Young Pettis is an inch or two taller than his 6-foot father and outweighs him by 30 pounds.

What seems to be in question is Pettis’ commitment and ambition. He is a free spirit, with varied interests beyond football. He enjoys the game but doesn’t inject it into his veins as, say, Jerry Rice did  -- and as coaches like to see.

If that were the case, Pettis might already have secured a starting spot. He started last week at Denver and was targeted once, with Jimmy Garoppolo’s pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage.

The arc of Pettis’ career at the University of Washington shows improvement every season, from 17 catches as a freshman, to 30 as a sophomore, 53 as a junior and 63 in his senior season, during which he also returned four punts for touchdowns. His nine touchdowns on punt returns as a Huskie is the NCAA career record.

It also is evidence to the explosiveness referred to earlier. It was one of the factors that prompted the 49es to draft him in the second round (No. 44 overall) 16 months ago.

Pettis played 12 games (seven starts) as a rookie, recording 27 catches for 467 yards and five touchdowns. He battled injuries and was inactive for three games last October with a knee injury.

He also provided a glimpse of what’s possible last Dec. 2 at Seattle, with five catches, for 129 yards and two touchdowns. That’s the kind of production the 49ers are looking for from a starter.

“You want to put good stuff on tape in the preseason,” Pettis said. “But the last game, I got like 10 plays. So, it’s not too big of a sample size to get a lot of good plays. But the coaches know that, too.

“Since I’m young, I have to show them.”

KP @KP_Show

Asked Shanahan why Dante Pettis was still in the game late in the 4th:

He’s still trying to earn a role on this team

Kyle Shanahan said he kept Dante Pettis in late into the 49ers' third preseason game because he wants him to "earn a role on the team."

This the latest public bashing of Pettis from his coaching staff. It's one of the weirder storylines of the preseason because Pettis has been used as the 49ers No. 1 receiver despite the constant criticism. At this point, Shanahan is either using this as a motivation tactic or is legitimately hoping someone else steps into the WR1 role. Pettis should still be the top receiver to start the season and should still offer WR3/4 value given the 49ers' inexperience at receiver, but his floor may be lower than anticipated.

SOURCE: Jennifer Lee Chan on Twitter

Aug 25, 2019, 3:24 PM ET

Dante Pettis said he's battling a "minor" groin injury.

Pettis played deep into the Niners' third preseason game Saturday, so he must have picked up the injury during that time. It sounds like a day-to-day thing. The second-year wideout also admitted to being on the same page with the coaching staff's criticism of his summer. Pettis said he needs to play with more urgency and "run routes deliberately with more purpose." Pettis is being drafted as the Niners' No. 1 receiver in fantasy, but coach Kyle Shanahan continues to challenge him through the media. His floor is looking shaky. However, the upside remains. He's a risk-reward pick.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 6:14 PM ET

Chris Biderman @ChrisBiderman

My opinion: people are reading too much into what Kyle Shanahan has said about Dante Pettis. Shanahan admits he’s hard on receivers (the position he scouts most). This, to me, is just a tactic. Pettis is noticeably better than last year.

Dante Pettis is listed as the No. 1 receiver on the 49ers' "unofficial" depth chart.

Coach Kyle Shanahan emptied his motivational playbook onto the second-year pro this summer, but Pettis' depth chart standing never changed. Closing draft season as a mid-range WR4, Pettis could end up one of the fantasy steals of the summer.

Sep 3, 2019, 4:18 PM ET

Thanks Shanahan.  I could have kept him for a 9th round pick but passed because of all the negative press.

Glad this seems to have swung the way I was hoping it would - camp talk rhetoric and the classic verbal light a fire under his ###. Will be starting him in my dynasty league and have him drafted in a couple of re-drafts 

It'll be really interesting to see the snap numbers, but so far Jimmy G has NO CONNECTION with Dane Pettis at all. He's locking onto Kittle or the RBs on every pass.

Jimmy G wasn’t too keen on any of the WR’s.  Sounds like Pettis was ‘t on the field a ton.  Would like to hear from coaches, but super disappointed.

Dante Pettis caught his only target for seven yards in San Francisco's Week 1 victory over the Bucs.

Coach Kyle Shanahan told the media afterwards that Pettis came in as a backup and "hopefully he continues to earn more time out there." Shanahan also noted Pettis' calf issue was part of the reason the second-year wideout was used as a sub despite his full participation in practice Thursday. It's a tough pill to swallow, but Pettis will remain a hold-your-nose fringe WR4 for at least one more week against the Bengals (barring further listings on San Francisco's injury report).
That's... not what I want to hear. Depending on your draft investment, sounds like you can part ways with him.

I started him in multiple leagues as a flex because I thought the TB secondary would be a great matchup.  And we were told he was the #1 WR.  Now he's getting 2 snaps as a backup.

Two. That was also the number of snaps played by Kittle’s teammate Dante Pettis. A summer of mystery culminated in the worst-case outcome for fantasy owners. 
... that's it I think I'm done. I drafted him in the 9th round in a 14-teamer and he gets Shanahan'd? I just don't understand why they are trolling this dude.

... that's it I think I'm done. I drafted him in the 9th round in a 14-teamer and he gets Shanahan'd? I just don't understand why they are trolling this dude.
Yeah, Shanahan is definitely sending him a message for some reason.  The "he was injured" spiel doesn't ring true.  If he was hurt so bad he only played two snaps, then he should have been inactive.

Pettis has ability, but something is wrong with his relationship with Shanahan.  

Dante Pettis (groin) said he's "back to normal" and expects to play a bigger role in Week 2 after being limited in last week's win over Tampa Bay.

Pettis hung fantasy owners out to dry by seeing just two snaps in the opener, continuing what has been a deeply confusing summer for the second-round sophomore. His groin injury is a thing of the past, though we're not sure what to expect from a player Kyle Shanahan went out of his way to chastise this offseason, only to list him as the top receiver on San Francisco's depth chart. Pettis should still be rostered in all leagues, though we wouldn't recommend starting him until we know what his role is.
I kinda feel like I should go back to Pettis because it's him that's saying this. I don't trust Shanahan anymore because he seems almost as bad as his dad with these things. I don't think I'll start him but we will see.

Dante Pettis was held without a catch in Week 2 against the Bengals.

Pettis played more snaps than last week, but he was still rotating as the No. 3 receiver behind Deebo Samuel and Marquise Goodwin. Despite the coaching staff talking up his role, he was invisible for the second straight game. With Samuel breaking out and Trent Taylor getting close to returning, there not much to be optimistic about with Pettis right now.
... SHANAHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

The Curious Case of Dante Pettis continues...

49ers offensive Snap Counts

#49ers offensive snap counts. Dante Pettis gets more than Deebo Samuel (49% to 40%), though guessing the blowout had something to do with that.
https://ninernoise.com/2019/08/26/49ers-kyle-shanahan-light-fire-dante-pettis/

Pettis is still one of San Francisco’s best route runners on the roster, which was a trait he displayed in college at Washington.

Those skills simply don’t evaporate. And while there may be questions about Pettis’ work ethic and living up to his potential, largely stemming from Shanahan’s recent comments, it seems more to be a motivational tactic from the head coach than anything else.
I heard the announcer say during the game "Dante Pettis showed up out of shape and that's why he's in the doghouse" and nearly did a spittake. While the comment won "Lazy Announcing of the Week", at least then it would be something to point to. The offense was clearly scheming plays to Samuel this game and Breida to some extent, and until Pettis can escape the wrath of Shanahan his next good game will probably happen when he's on a Bench or as a FA.

Users who are viewing this thread