What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dante Pettis WR Giants (1 Viewer)

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports the 49ers want Dante Pettis to report "stronger" than he did his first two seasons.

"Shanahan wants to see a much greater sense of urgency from him in 2020," was Barrows' assessment. Good luck with that. Pettis is listed at 195 pounds but tipped the scales at 186 at the Combine. The 49ers seemed more frustrated with the mental aspect of Pettis' game than the physical in 2019. Turning 25 in October, Pettis' sophomore step back was a massive red flag for his NFL future.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 11, 2020, 6:10 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan wants Dante Pettis to return on a "mission" in 2020.

"I think he took a documented step back in his second year (and) I’ve been around a lot of players who have done that," Shanahan said. "The players I’ve been around — which is a ton — they go one way or the other. They keep being like that, then they usually filter out. Or it’s a wake-up call for them and they come back and you kind of see it in April. It’s like, ‘OK, this guy treated January to April so much different than before.’ Then it usually changes their career." Shanny said Pettis' 2019 mothballing was because of an "accumulation of stuff." The message could not have been sent any stronger.

Feb 25, 2020, 6:13 PM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows considers Dante Pettis to be on the 49ers' roster bubble.

Pettis couldn't find the field last season, and the 49ers then ended up using a first-round pick on Brandon Aiyuk and a seventh-rounder on Juan Jennings. Jennings could easily make the team in what was a loaded receiver class. Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne are roster locks. And then Trent Taylor and Jalen Hurd are also expected to make the team now that they're healthy. Pettis plays too soft for coach Kyle Shanahan's liking despite Pettis' solid production in 2018. He'll be competing for a roster spot alongside Richie James and veteran Travis Benjamin. A change of scenery for Pettis could be what's best.

Apr 29, 2020, 6:37 PM ET

He just needs to leave San Francisco. I'm not saying he's going to ball out anywhere else, but his opportunities seem very limited as a Niner. There's a lot of competition, he was in the doghouse and doesn't seem to be a "Kyle Shanahan" guy. Now with the injuries murking things up maybe he'll get an opportunity to flash again, but he really could use a fresh start.

Have him run routes while the all coaches throw 2 pound medicine balls at him. If he manages to stay upright and doesn't fall down once, that means he's starting to understand Kyle's scheme. If he falls down he only gets 10 snaps the next game.

The talent is still there, but he probably needs to leave SF to see the field significantly. Will he even make the roster without showing up to camp with big offseason progress? Reminiscent of Gase with Parker/Drake, Shanny doesn't trust him.

Dropable in all but the deepest leagues.

Have him run routes while the all coaches throw 2 pound medicine balls at him. If he manages to stay upright and doesn't fall down once, that means he's starting to understand Kyle's scheme. If he falls down he only gets 10 snaps the next game.
watching him play for the last 2 seasons i've realized he is kind of a big kitty-cat.  (and not because he has 9 lives)

Last edited by a moderator:
just realized he’s available in my 12 team 36 player roster with 4 ir spots. mid tier hype train last year and he’s fallen this far.  that being said him or javon wims haha 

NBC Sports Bay Area reports Dante Pettis is "rising to the challenge" so far in 49ers camp. 

Per Maiocco, Pettis "showed up with his most active practice in a long, long time" on Tuesday, catching a team-high five passes while showing a willingness to work over the middle of the field. Maiocco believes Pettis has reported to camp in much better shape after clearly getting "outworked" last summer. Pettis was in the deepest recesses of coach Kyle Shanahan's doghouse last season, but injuries to Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd have created the perfect conditions for a bounce-back 2020. Pettis still isn't worth taking a flier on in 12-team leagues.  

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area 

Aug 18, 2020, 4:36 PM ET

So his he on the radar again this year?  Possible FF WR3?
He's at best the fourth option on a team that spreads the ball around /before/ Deebo gets back.  So in the sense that my grandmother is a possible FF wr3, yes he does have that chance.  But in reality - no, not even a FF wr 5.

I’m admittedly getting sucked back in. I thought Pettis was the heir to Keenan Allen’s route running crown from his rookie tape. Then last year happened. 

Dude can run routes and get open. Whatever happened last year seemed like between the ears or off-field. Shanahan seems very pleased with him. I think he’s better than the alternatives, and the Deebo injury seems worse than they’ve let on (they just signed Jaron Brown and had already brought in JJ Nelson).  

If Pettis has earned his starting role back, then I want back on board.

I’m admittedly getting sucked back in. I thought Pettis was the heir to Keenan Allen’s route running crown from his rookie tape. Then last year happened. 

Dude can run routes and get open. Whatever happened last year seemed like between the ears or off-field. Shanahan seems very pleased with him. I think he’s better than the alternatives, and the Deebo injury seems worse than they’ve let on (they just signed Jaron Brown and had already brought in JJ Nelson).  

If Pettis has earned his starting role back, then I want back on board.
Deebo is fine, he's putting out videos of himself cutting on soft surfaces with his shoes off showing he's ahead of schedule.  Sf just needs practice bodies which is what Jaron brown and jj Nelson are.

Got him free in a deep bench dyno league. With the news about AiYAC now I have to imagine the opportunity is ripe for Pettis to put up or shut up. I wont hold my breath. I dropped Rodney Anderson for him so it’s not like he has big shoes to fill anyways 

I'm going to keep beating this drum because people are getting snookered

The SF passing order without Deebo -

1 - Kittle

2a - rb

2b - Aiyuk

4 - Pettis or whoever else

Deebo will be back by week 5 at the latest meaning Pettis will be the 5th option on sf in no time.  That's not a player you want on your team.

I'm going to keep beating this drum because people are getting snookered

The SF passing order without Deebo -

1 - Kittle

2a - rb

2b - Aiyuk

4 - Pettis or whoever else

Deebo will be back by week 5 at the latest meaning Pettis will be the 5th option on sf in no time.  That's not a player you want on your team.
Aiyuk is injured

With AiYAC out hurt, Deebo out for several weeks, Pettis moves into a potential top WR slot on the team. If he has a hot start, there’s potential to flip him for a pick or player. Who knows if Deebo comes back ready to go 100% after 5 weeks (or gets injured again from deconditioning), and AiYAC May see his hamstring linger as many often do. Not to mention COVID. Sure, Kittle is the top target, but the top WR can be of value, and you might find someone WR starved with COVID this year who you could sell Pettis to, even if he is just keeping the seat warm for Deebo or AiYAC. And if he is hot, he may have earned a spot and some targets. Wouldn’t be the first time someone lost their spot due to injury

With AiYAC out hurt, Deebo out for several weeks, Pettis moves into a potential top WR slot on the team. If he has a hot start, there’s potential to flip him for a pick or player. Who knows if Deebo comes back ready to go 100% after 5 weeks (or gets injured again from deconditioning), and AiYAC May see his hamstring linger as many often do. Not to mention COVID. Sure, Kittle is the top target, but the top WR can be of value, and you might find someone WR starved with COVID this year who you could sell Pettis to, even if he is just keeping the seat warm for Deebo or AiYAC. And if he is hot, he may have earned a spot and some targets. Wouldn’t be the first time someone lost their spot due to injury
5 weeks was the absolute top I pulled out of my ####, deebo is trying to get back for week one.  I've generally seen week 3 as when writers expect him to be back, for what it's worth.

5 weeks was the absolute top I pulled out of my ####, deebo is trying to get back for week one.  I've generally seen week 3 as when writers expect him to be back, for what it's worth.
He seems to be hurt a lot. It will be interesting to see who ends the year the top WR target on that team 6 months from now. This is likely a situation to avoid unless you have Kittle, but there could be some opportunity for trades before everyone figures that out

Reports from camp make it sound like Bourne and Taylor might be ahead of Pettis for targets. He’s not the slam dunk WR1 even with the current injuries.

He seems to be hurt a lot. It will be interesting to see who ends the year the top WR target on that team 6 months from now. This is likely a situation to avoid unless you have Kittle, but there could be some opportunity for trades before everyone figures that out
Deebo fractured his leg in 2017 and missed a game last year with a groin strain.  Otherwise he's been healthy.

The biggest issue with Deebo isn't his injury history. It's this specific injury. It's common to try and return too quickly, which can impact performance and increases the likelihood of another injury - typically of the over compensation variety. 

I hope San Fran takes the decision out of Deebo's hands and leaves him on PUP. I'd feel much better about his chances of sustained health with extra rest. 

But it's becoming clear his body can't handle the rigour of playing football. 
This. What luck for him to break two bones in his career. What are the chances? Is it by coincidence? What happens when his next broken bone or serious injury comes? Will the excuses still fly? Best to sell him now before AiYAC takes over and it’s clear he can’t stay healthy

Also, as Mac said, this specific injury is a pretty serious one

You and everyone else. Don’t think can draft him, maybe I’ll grab him in last round
I can see him being grabbed off the waiver wire in leagues with 24 or greater rosters, but anything less than that I doubt it.

Dante Pettis saw one target in San Francisco's Week 1 loss to the Cardinals.

Pettis got the start in place of Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) but was targeted once — a deep incompletion in the second quarter — and ultimately finished without a catch. Feel free to leave him on waivers for the foreseeable future.
... he has absolutely no connection with Garoppolo or Shanahan. He needs to leave the Niners.

49ers waived WR Dante Pettis. 

Pettis had played only three snaps on offense since Week 3. The final straw was his lost fumble on his first career kickoff return against the Seahawks in Week 8. Pettis suffered a shoulder injury in the process. The 49ers traded up for Pettis in the second round of the 2018 draft, while he finished his rookie year strong. It has been one disaster after another since, with the 49ers routinely hinting at disappointment with Pettis' preparation and focus. Still only 25, Pettis is a talented player, but if coach Kyle Shanahan can't make it work, it is difficult to imagine someone else will be able to revive Pettis' career.
Thread rename please @cloppbeast . And if I'm the Giants I pick him up.

Users who are viewing this thread