What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best questions to learn about people in social situations (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
Anyone that has met me knows that sober I am not a talker, but I am a great listener and usually interested in the person that I am talking with.  But being a not talker and not really interested in small talk, what are some unbiased and unleading question that can keep the conversation going when that pause happens when no one has something to say.  

I love when people open and let you onto their own little world but when we start talking weather or what not, I just want to stab myself in my eyes or just walk away.

I am only a talker when I am drinking so open people are interesting to me, just like to keep them talking on non bs topics.

Anyone that has met me knows that sober I am not a talker, but I am a great listener and usually interested in the person that I am talking with.  But being a not talker and not really interested in small talk, what are some unbiased and unleading question that can keep the conversation going when that pause happens when no one has something to say.  

I love when people open and let you onto their own little world but when we start talking weather or what not, I just want to stab myself in my eyes or just walk away.

I am only a talker when I am drinking so open people are interesting to me, just like to keep them talking on non bs topics.
I wouldn't be so hard on small talk; it can often pave the way for more interesting discussion, which is something I've learned as I've gotten older. If one is patient and listens, the person might be using what seems like inoffensive and boring chatter as a segue to something more interesting. 

I wouldn't be so hard on small talk; it can often pave the way for more interesting discussion, which is something I've learned as I've gotten older. If one is patient and listens, the person might be using what seems like inoffensive and boring chatter as a segue to something more interesting. 
On a serious note, I get this.  I was referring to when an interesting conversation was happening and it diverted to weather.

:goodposting:

It took me a long time to learn this as well.

I think trust is a big part of it. The more I trust the more I will be open about myself and more personal topics. Being able to talk about small things such as weather, food etc. can lead to talking about the more personal stuff. But that may take time and more than one contact.

Also for me I think that trust develops when each person shares something more personal and there is acceptance. If you are doing mostly listening I may hold back about what I discuss if think you do not trust enough to self disclose concerning yourself.

I officiate football and basketball and one of the things I've run into is a bunch of car rides with other officials that I usually don't know all that well.  As a result, I have had a ton of conversations with people where we are just trying to kill the time together and keep things interesting.  Sometimes it is easy and sometimes not so much.

Unfortunately for some of my travel partners, I am a bit of a talker, so I have to consciously make an effort not to talk someone's ear off when I get rolling.  One of the ways I do this is to get the other person talking more, which is a similar problem to what you are describing here.

The things I typically get into is stuff from their past or current lives.  I'll either ask a question to move deeper into a topic that was covered earlier or just move into a general topic that I could get them going on.  Questions like:

"You said your son was in high school, does he play sports or is he involved in any other activities?"  "Does he know what he wants to do after High School?"

"So you grew up in town X, what was that place like as a kid?"  "Did you enjoy growing up there?"  "When was the last time you went back?"

Work, family, hobbies, etc. are all easy and typically safe topics to cover in casual conversations.  The key is finding something they are passionate enough about to get them actually talking.  Every now and then I hit a few dead ends and just give up and ride in silence but that has only happened maybe 5-10 times in the past 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
People love talking about their kids. How many, how old, what they're in to, etc. And pets.

You can ask if they did anything fun last weekend.

Any trips coming up.

What brought them to the city.

My go to is where are people from.

Everyone is from somewhere and I genuinely am interested in hearing people's story of where they were born. Are they living near their birth place? Are they from another state or country?

A few simple questions opens up so many doors for additional conversations that can lead into other avenues. 

Or I ask people to rate who's hottest from the 3 moms across the field on the other travel team.

"Want to get another drink"?

Interesting conversation involves talking about subjects you  both (or multiple people) are interested in/have some passion about. Generally, people are going to be a little protective about what they reveal unless you reveal something about you. Starting with the small talk slowly develops the trust and you each will start revealing a few more things. You each keep bringing up subjects to see if there is something the other person is interested in also.  If you don't like talking about the weather stay out of Minnesota.

- do you have any hobbies?

- do you have any vacations coming up?

- what do you do?

- do you have any children? are they involved in any activities?

- seen any good movies lately or read any good books?

- have you always lived here <city> ?

- if there are specific subjects you are interested in, mention a few of them.

- if you get in a pinch you can always ask if they think "Don" and "Dawn" rhyme

- if you get rolling, you can move on to block chain technology, algorithms, string theory, parallel universe, etc...or the always accurate, "Can you believe what Trump did yesterday"?

Users who are viewing this thread