What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better album? Use you illusion 1 or 2? (1 Viewer)

Better album? Use your illusion 1 or 2

Votes: 12 36.4%

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

comfortably numb

Footballguy

Right Next Door to Hell

Dust N' Bones

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry [Original Version]

Perfect Crime

You Ain't the First

Bad Obsession

Back off #####

Double Talkin' Jive

November Rain

The Garden

Garden of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Dead Horse

Coma

Civil War

14 Years

Yesterdays

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Get In The Ring

Shotgun Blues

Breakdown

Pretty Tied Up

Locomotive (Complicity)

So Fine

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics)

My World

2 is better. 

You Could Be Mine, Estranged, Don't Cry, Yesterdays and Civil War are quality.

Breakdown, Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, Shotgun Blues are all underrated.

1 seems like the one that was actually the rawer/outtake/experimental album.  Not to say that I don't enjoy both.

2 is better. 

You Could Be Mine, Estranged, Don't Cry, Yesterdays and Civil War are quality.

Breakdown, Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, Shotgun Blues are all underrated.

1 seems like the one that was actually the rawer/outtake/experimental album.  Not to say that I don't enjoy both.
Do you listen to the original Dont cry on 1 or alternate lyrics on 2?

I dont think I've heard the alt version too much. Even when I had the albums

Hated it from the get go; thought it was a sign of the band going soft and selling out.     OTOH, I quickly turned Illusion 1&2 into a 100 minute mix tape, which cut some undesirable tracks out, including November Rain, and that tape was in heavy rotation in my car for several years.   

I should probably dig out the cds and give the missing tracks another listen.   

Voted 2 but rarely listen to either of these.  I can only get a few songs in before I pull the plug.   They are just not good and get boring real quick.  On the other hand, Appetite is one of my favorite albums of all time and never gets old.    

Voted one also because of Coma. 

And @MAC_32is right - Axl could have made one incredible, incredible album but made two mediocre ones with tons of filler. 

If you combine the best tracks, that album would sail.  

Coma was awesome live. 

Hard choice. Each disk lacks a key song for me. If you put Coma and November Rain on 2, I’d be sold. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At some bootleg store as a teenager I got a practice sessions mix tape before the album came out, and it had early versions of November Rain with Axl just singing and playing piano, and one with slash playing it on acoustic guitar instead. The sound quality was #### — it was clear someone just put a tape recorder in the corner, and I probably had like the brzillionth copy made—but to a teenager in love with this band it was the coolest thing on earth. 

At some bootleg store as a teenager I got a practice sessions mix tape before the album came out, and it had early versions of November Rain with Axl just singing and playing piano, and one with slash playing it on acoustic guitar instead. The sound quality was #### — it was clear someone just put a tape recorder in the corner, and I probably had like the brzillionth copy made—but to a teenager in love with this band it was the coolest thing on earth. 
I remember listening to Crash Diet repeatedly. Same thing here. I liked G N' R, and having a bootleg of that song was awesome. 

i've always been partial to 1. coma, dead horse are among my favorites from the band.

when i caught the first leg of the illusions tour before the CDs were released, the live version of Double Talking Jive was one that stood out to me.

Well you'll get your wish when they release their Appetite for Destruction box set. Has both those versions on it on disc 4.

"Appetite" Box Set coming

They recorded a piano version as a demo in 1986, being officially released in their new box set.

If Axl had just made one album it'd be a legend. He made 2 bad ones instead. 
With a few exceptions I think this is true of most double albums or double single releases. Save the filler for after the band breaks up and release an album of it then for those still pining for more.

It's close, but I'm going 2. Love those first 4 tracks, and You Could Be Mine. I do hate the alt version of Don't Cry though.

Anyone have a good playlist that just combines them into 1 album? I couldn't get one I was happy with on Spotify. 

Users who are viewing this thread