What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Barry - HBO (1 Viewer)

McJose said:
God I hate the girlfriend or anything that has to do with her.  I don’t even know her name.  

Kill her off and give all of her screen time to Hank.
I think the girlfriend's great- perfect encapsulation of every narcissist/self-absorbed actor out there. 

that martial arts episode had a ring of Raising Arizona to it... in a great way. and the feral kung-fu child is still out there somewhere.

I had an emotional reaction to Fuches pointing the gun last night.  About cussed him out

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good show! 

Like has been said, Hank is awesome.  His annoyance with the accordion player had me howling, and just about everything he says is great.  They had better not kill him off any time soon. 

I also thought the episode with the karate guy and his daughter was a bit too ridiculous, but it got back on track the following week. 

Henry Winkler's character is also great, and while Sally is pretty narcissistic, that smile of hers is just about perfect. :wub:  

So I was liking Season 1 but really didn't like the finish.  Season 2 is out but I'll use spoilers just in case:

I felt like I could root for Barry since he was killing "bad" guys.  Once he killed Chris and then the detective at the end, I found it difficult to root for him.  It really put a damper on the whole season for me.  I'm undecided about season 2.

Agree with everyone that Hank is the best part of the show.  Hader is really doing a great job, even if I don't agree with the character arc.  The girlfriend is super annoying.

Corporation said:
So I was liking Season 1 but really didn't like the finish.  Season 2 is out but I'll use spoilers just in case:

I felt like I could root for Barry since he was killing "bad" guys.  Once he killed Chris and then the detective at the end, I found it difficult to root for him.  It really put a damper on the whole season for me.  I'm undecided about season 2.

Agree with everyone that Hank is the best part of the show.  Hader is really doing a great job, even if I don't agree with the character arc.  The girlfriend is super annoying.
I think the character arc is fine, and I think it is clear that Hader wants to move the plot quickly rather than doing a slow burn, hence the S1 finish. 

You guys are nuts- the girlfriend is fantastic. And Hank is the obvious choice but for me Fuchs is the funniest/best.

The scene where the gf is running Barry through lines for his "tall" movie audition (which I'm counting on him landing next season) and she goes off on her own inner space, but then finally comes back to asking for the line... Hader's line and delivery was my favorite thing in the show so far.

Catching up on this - it’s solid. Agree with many that Hank is the best part. I do have what may be a hot take based on how how positive the reviews are, though:

Patriot is a better version of this show.

Catching up on this - it’s solid. Agree with many that Hank is the best part. I do have what may be a hot take based on how how positive the reviews are, though:

Patriot is a better version of this show.
I prefer it too. 

btw - My Barry contrarian hottake is that I love everything about the show except NoHo Hank.  Just a dumb one-trick pony character that ceased being funny midway through season 1.  Would've been better for the show to have killed him off long ago.

btw - My Barry contrarian hottake is that I love everything about the show except NoHo Hank.  Just a dumb one-trick pony character that ceased being funny midway through season 1.  Would've been better for the show to have killed him off long ago.
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter (so I can do the opposite).  

what?!?!  Hank steals every scene he is in

I would say he stole the first few scenes he was in, then his schtick got old and repetitive. I view the show as a dark comedy with drama and violence mixed with humor.  When they introduce a slapstick goofball character, but he's is supposed to be a badass Chechen gangster, it detracts from what I like about the show.  Its like if you had the Sopranos, but the  main FBI investigator is Barney Fife. It might be funny, but doesn't fit the show.

I would say he stole the first few scenes he was in, then his schtick got old and repetitive. I view the show as a dark comedy with drama and violence mixed with humor.  When they introduce a slapstick goofball character, but he's is supposed to be a badass Chechen gangster, it detracts from what I like about the show.  Its like if you had the Sopranos, but the  main FBI investigator is Barney Fife. It might be funny, but doesn't fit the show.

reaction.

it's dark humor, but it's also goofball humor... Barry, Winkler, the girlfriend, Barry's frienemy/co-worker, the acting group- basically all silly and unrealistic... even if played and written well. as such, Hank fits right in- even if he's a little one-note. and he gets some of the juiciest comedy to work with.

it's dark humor, but it's also goofball humor... Barry, Winkler, the girlfriend, Barry's frienemy/co-worker, the acting group- basically all silly and unrealistic... even if played and written well. as such, Hank fits right in- even if he's a little one-note. and he gets some of the juiciest comedy to work with.
Opinion noted, wrong as it may be. 

I agree with Cletius. Hank is awesome but should really only be doing his schtick periodically. I feel like they wrote him in more than they originally planned because he got popular but they shouldn’t have.

Hi I'm new here.  Finished first two seasons recently.  I'm not sure how I would describe my feeling for this show.  I like it, but I don't love it.  The mix of humor and depiction of psychological trauma just makes me feel uncomfortable at times.

Regardless, Hank is a top 50 TV character ever.

God I hate the girlfriend or anything that has to do with her.  I don’t even know her name.  

Kill her off and give all of her screen time to Hank.
I just binged season one, half way though season two.  The girl KILLS the show for me.  Much like the wife on Breaking Bad ruined that.  

Hank is the MVP of this show.  The Karate Girls :hawkshriek: was pretty good fwiw.

I just binged season one, half way though season two.  The girl KILLS the show for me.  Much like the wife on Breaking Bad ruined that.  

Hank is the MVP of this show.  The Karate Girls :hawkshriek: was pretty good fwiw.
Is that because you think she's a bad actress or because her character is so unlikable?

Not sure.  I just don't like her.  I was never good at saying who is a good or bad actor really.  I just know what I like.  

"Stay off the 405, man."
You're definitely not alone in the case of either character, but I've never really understood that. I mean, if the issue is that they're unlikable, think about the guys they are dating/married to!

On the other hand, I think it has something to do with the way these anti-hero shows suck us into feeling sympathetic toward the main character. That's one reason I always bought the theory that Tony Soprano got whacked in the final scene. Chase was basically saying, "I have so thoroughly made you complicit in cheering for Tony, you're going to experience his death the same way he would."

By that theory, to the extent that the women are unlikable, it's to the extent that they're preventing the men from operating on pure id.

You're definitely not alone in the case of either character, but I've never really understood that. I mean, if the issue is that they're unlikable, think about the guys they are dating/married to!

On the other hand, I think it has something to do with the way these anti-hero shows suck us into feeling sympathetic toward the main character. That's one reason I always bought the theory that Tony Soprano got whacked in the final scene. Chase was basically saying, "I have so thoroughly made you complicit in cheering for Tony, you're going to experience his death the same way he would."

By that theory, to the extent that the women are unlikable, it's to the extent that they're preventing the men from operating on pure id.
I don't root for Barry fwiw.  Similar to Breaking Bad and Ozark, there are no characters I like much on this show.  Actually I love Hank, but that's really it.  I love Ted Lasso more than all three of those other shows combined.  Barry is evil!

I don't root for Barry fwiw.  Similar to Breaking Bad and Ozark, there are no characters I like much on this show.  Actually I love Hank, but that's really it.  I love Ted Lasso more than all three of those other shows combined.  Barry is evil!
Ted Lasso >>> Breaking Bad, in your opinion?

Ted Lasso >>> Breaking Bad, in your opinion?
Yes, and it's not even close.  Breaking had some great moments, but it's not an all timer for me. His wife and kid had WAY to many scenes.  Jessie was fun, as was the Chicken Man.  Saul and Mike were solid at times.  I give it a solid B.  Ted gets an A-.  The Wire is my perfect show, Band of Brothers is also an A+ for me.  Ozark is a C+ also.

Users who are viewing this thread