What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Boston Scott, PHI (1 Viewer)

Ingram suspended first four games, time to figure out where his value lies in rookie drafts and possibly redraft leagues. 

Reaaaaally wish you wouldn't have started this thread...:). Yet.

Recently completed three rookie drafts and free agent blind bidding is set to begin in two of them.  Really hoping to nab him where I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott is a PFF darling, so he shouldn’t be that much of surprise. It’s more surprising that he didn’t have a thread yet. I haven’t watched him but will very soon. I’m looking forward to it.

Scott is a penny stock worth taking the chance at his current price. He'd pair well with Ingram if Kamara missed time but I'm not sure he pairs well with Kamara. 

Sproles like potential, possibly a PPR machine, but that's Kamara's role and Scott is really unlikely to take it over. 

So I was doing some digging around because of the Penny/Carson threads couple of interesting things came up... Boston was 2nd in the nation in PFF’s YPC when contacted at or before the LOS (Link). Another intriguing item is he was above the 70th percentile in all athletic measurements in relative athleticism for the RB position. The size is a big drawback but if he had a few more inches and lbs he would have been a back that got a lot more hype entering and exiting the draft. 

Kinda disappointed to see him only get one carry after Ingram, Kamara, Vereen, West, and Jonathan Williams. 

They may just see him as a kick returner for now. 

Kinda disappointed to see him only get one carry after Ingram, Kamara, Vereen, West, and Jonathan Williams. 

They may just see him as a kick returner for now. 
It’s early still. I’ll agree on Vereen at the least though. Guy does not belong on an NFL roster anymore.

He's definitely a stash.  May not do much this year with that crowded backfield, but will be used in the same mold as Sproles.  All reports from camp have been positive.

Anything to see here? He was just cut in my deep dynasty for Chris Warren. 
West was just cut. Looks like he is in decent position to make the roster. I think he’s a good stash. If Williams falters or Kamara gets hurt he could have a good role this year. Saints RB has been a boon for many years now. 

Yeah this is his gig now. He’s short, but built like a fire hydrant. Shorty and fast, he just took the job from Williams. 

I actually do/did like Edmunds walking into the preseason. Then they listed him as a FB and didn’t give him a touch all preseason.

I actually do/did like Edmunds walking into the preseason. Then they listed him as a FB and didn’t give him a touch all preseason.
Edmunds knows the playbook. If Sean Payton intends to get Edmunds 8-12 carries next Sunday, they might have started giving him some 1st-team reps right after the third pre-season game, giving him two full weeks to get ready.

That's speculation ... don't have any information on Edmund's practice usage over the last week. Just making the point that Edmunds might not have needed an audition this preseason. Also, for all I know ... Sean Payton DOES indeed consider Jonathan Williams a better fit for the Ingram role, but just a little better -- and maybe the decision to cut/float Williams was kind of a last-minute let-me-try-something to squeeze in an extra guy at another position.

Except Edmunds played special teams and fullback all preseason. I think what @Bojang0301 alluded to makes the most sense. Scott is stout - he’s just short. He and Kamara will be a fine tandem for the first four weeks. How they perform may determine what happens with Ingram. 

From what I saw in the preseason, he looked quite good. Quick feet, decent vision, very nice balance. Running style reminded me a lot of a young Ray Rice.

Gillislee heading to NO, but I’d be surprised if he took an active roster spot early on after no training camp. I would imagine he’s the contingency plan if Williams doesn’t clear waivers and join the practice squad. 

JFS171 said:
Gillislee heading to NO, but I’d be surprised if he took an active roster spot early on after no training camp. I would imagine he’s the contingency plan if Williams doesn’t clear waivers and join the practice squad. 
Gillislee just signed. He does know the Saints terminology (same coaching tree as Sean Payton).

Saints rookie RB Boston Scott will open the season returning kicks.

It's possible Scott also finds himself in the mix to return punts. Scott has proven athleticism as he showed when he recorded a 4.4-flat forty and 38 ½-inch vertical at Louisiana Tech’s Pro Day. Already having professional-level pass-catching chops, Scott is expected to receive a few additional touches on third downs behind Mike Gillislee.

Source: Nick Underhill on Twitter 

Sep 3 - 6:06 PM

:shrug:

Well ... 13 months ago, Mike Gillislee was considered a legit NFL starting RB and a nice get for the Patriots. Maybe he still is and it was just the perception that changed.

Speculation, with a little tongue-in-cheek:

I think Sean Payton likes being mysterious and hard to figure out. He's pretty dang sure HE knows way, way more than any collection of fans. Probably trying to float Boston Scott onto the practice squad ... let's see what happens.

The Steelers already picked up the guy who was the "Ingram replacement" as recently as this past Saturday (Trey Edmunds). Jonathan Williams did clear waivers and make it onto the Saints' practice squad.

Speculation, with a little tongue-in-cheek:

I think Sean Payton likes being mysterious and hard to figure out. He's pretty dang sure HE knows way, way more than any collection of fans. Probably trying to float Boston Scott onto the practice squad ... let's see what happens.

The Steelers already picked up the guy who was the "Ingram replacement" as recently as this past Saturday (Trey Edmunds). Jonathan Williams did clear waivers and make it onto the Saints' practice squad.
Sean Payton: “We don’t want Kamara to be overused the first four weeks”

Also Sean Payton: “Were walking into week 1 with one backup RB we signed three days ago”

Boston Scott was expendable, unfortunately.  His skillset overlaps that of Alvin Kamara, and Tommylee Lewis was ahead of him as a returner.  New Orleans needed a power back to fill a void until the return of Mark Ingram, and Mike Gillislee fills that need.  New Orleans is innovative and typically finds a way to get talent on the field, but this may be a case where Scott's talents were not going to get him on the field for any meaningful action absent an injury to Kamara.  As a Boston Scott dynasty owner, there could be some reason for encouragement by this move.  Perhaps Scott could land in a better situation with a team in need of a Sprolesian back.  If he lingers on the waiver wire or ends up on the Saints' PS, I am probably cutting bait and moving on, however.

EDIT TO ADD:  Perhaps my inclination to drop Boston in dynasty is a hasty decision.  Scott's value was never really immediate, so a stint on the Saints' PS should really have little effect upon his dynasty value. 

:shrug:

Well ... 13 months ago, Mike Gillislee was considered a legit NFL starting RB and a nice get for the Patriots. Maybe he still is and it was just the perception that changed.
Was he though?

And if that was actually a consensus assumption, should it have been?

I know I wasn't extrapolating his CoP touches to a feature back workload like some people were and I sure wasn't projecting him for Blount numbers. I think last year's hype was mostly from people getting excited about some fool's gold they found in the scrap heap that was the back of their dynasty roster. 

As if the Pats needed anymore RB's. I think they have enough. But I get it, anytime a skill position prospect is waived everybody clamors for New England to pick them up.
I get that, but the reality is New England, like New Orleans, has had success with undersized backs.  Like Sproles (and Danny Woodhead), Dion Lewis doesn't fit the mold of an NFL RB.  We are seeing a trend, with players like Tarik Cohen (and perhaps Phillip Lindsay) being used as offensive weapons who can have a role, and Scott is considerably more powerful than those two.  I am still clinging to some hope that Scott will develop as a RB, but if he lands on the wrong team, I fear he will be pigeonholed as a return man and nothing more.

I get that, but the reality is New England, like New Orleans, has had success with undersized backs.  Like Sproles (and Danny Woodhead), Dion Lewis doesn't fit the mold of an NFL RB.  We are seeing a trend, with players like Tarik Cohen (and perhaps Phillip Lindsay) being used as offensive weapons who can have a role, and Scott is considerably more powerful than those two.  I am still clinging to some hope that Scott will develop as a RB, but if he lands on the wrong team, I fear he will be pigeonholed as a return man and nothing more.
San Fran?

Users who are viewing this thread