What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
Figured I'd start a thread for my favorite of this year's day three RBs. Small school guy who went in the late 4th round to AZ despite having an injury-plagued senior season on a weak team. Not a phenomenal athlete on paper at 5'9" 205 with 4.55 speed, but has a 10'2" broad jump and shows some good acceleration/initial burst on the field. Deceptive strength and power, but his best attribute is definitely his agility/cutting ability. He's one of the best in this draft in that department. 

He's capable of some joystick moves and also shows some good things as a receiver. His highlights in general show a good east-west cutting ability reminiscent of someone like Matt Forte (different body type). 

Obviously he's not going to beat out DJ as a rookie, but I'm a huge buyer at his current ADP in the 3rd-4th round of rookie drafts. Worth a shot there, IMO. I'd be higher on him if he were a little bit bigger and faster, but as it is he might have the running ability and versatility to emerge as a useful player in the future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like a wasted pick to me man, DJ is only 26 and a beast....obviously he got hurt and could open the door for Edmunds to get some time....but I cant see holding him for the long haul....in my 3 drafts he went at 3.07....3.07 and  4.04.....felt at the time that the 3rd rounders were over pays....Rather roll the dice on players like Daeshawn Hamilton or any of the WRs the packers drafted...

I just don’t see a path to playing time. DJ would have to lose a leg for him to see the field in the next few years.

DJ had one great year. He's a fantastic pass catcher. He's also going to be a FA and at his age I don't see them signing him. If this guy shows, he could be a good stash. Situations change quick.

And he'll be 27. Young QB. Why spend big bucks on a RB? Thinking it's crazy is crazy.
Exactly.  Rosen is on a rookie deal for the next 4 years after this one.  They have two years of FT available at a minimum and can probably do a 4-5 year deal with just a bit more guaranteed and keep both sides happy.  Doubling down on crazy is crazy.

I agree that the opportunity isn't great, but when it comes to sleepers and late picks, I mostly just go with talent and hope that the player finds a path to a role eventually. Is he talented enough to do that? Well, that's the big question, but at the price of a rookie pick in the 30-40 range, I'm willing to find out.

I watched the highlights linked in the OP and I wasn't very impressed. 
There are different sets of highlights out there from different time periods in his career. The one I linked in the OP was actually from his sophomore year, so it might not be the best representation. He seems a bit bigger in his junior highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGciQVafsE

He was hampered by injuries in his senior year, so there isn't as much footage.

I agree that he isn't a height/weight/speed freak, but 5'9" 205 is a 30 BMI, which is average body thickness for an NFL RB and 4.55 speed in conjunction with that isn't terrible. He also had a 10'2" broad jump (pretty good for a 5'9" player), which shows some north-south explosiveness.

Still wouldn't say he's a lock talent, but there's something there and the modest draft slot can be partially explained by injuries/supporting cast/level of competition. Stick this guy on Alabama where he's on national TV every week and he's probably a top 100 draft pick.

Who knows if he’ll amount to anything, but as a DJ owner, I am going to find a spot for him. If DJ (heaven forbid) goes down again, I think Edmonds will more likely inherit a big role over the other depth they have  on the roster.

I agree that the opportunity isn't great, but when it comes to sleepers and late picks, I mostly just go with talent and hope that the player finds a path to a role eventually. Is he talented enough to do that? Well, that's the big question, but at the price of a rookie pick in the 30-40 range, I'm willing to find out.

There are different sets of highlights out there from different time periods in his career. The one I linked in the OP was actually from his sophomore year, so it might not be the best representation. He seems a bit bigger in his junior highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGciQVafsE

He was hampered by injuries in his senior year, so there isn't as much footage.

I agree that he isn't a height/weight/speed freak, but 5'9" 205 is a 30 BMI, which is average body thickness for an NFL RB and 4.55 speed in conjunction with that isn't terrible. He also had a 10'2" broad jump (pretty good for a 5'9" player), which shows some north-south explosiveness.

Still wouldn't say he's a lock talent, but there's something there and the modest draft slot can be partially explained by injuries/supporting cast/level of competition. Stick this guy on Alabama where he's on national TV every week and he's probably a top 100 draft pick.
Yeah some of the better plays from the previous highlight are from 2016 same as this.

He really doesn't have great burst. The level of competition is terrible. Most of his big plays I would describe as defensive errors more than Edmonds making something happen. He does have a good spin move and he has good contact balance to keep his feet after glancing hits where defenders do not wrap up. The footwork is okay he can navigate traffic. I didn't see a lot of receptions in the highlights but I know he has caught a lot of passes so he must have good hands.

It doesn't really change my viewpoint about him. He doesn't seem very talented to me. I have seen college RB who look a lot better than him who never did a thing in the NFL.

You see something else and thats fine. Maybe pointing out a specific play that you think is exceptional and why would help.These are highlights and I don't see anything very special here.

True, but DJ could get hurt again and he'd be the starter. They have nothing. I'd rather take a shot at that at his ADP than the bums that are available at his pick. He's not a superstar, but he has an outside shot at real playing time.
Yeah, look at how every other backup RB produced in AZ last year. 

Small, slow running backs don't find a lot of success in the NFL.

He's not really slow. 4.55 isn't fast for a RB, but it's not exactly slow either. People didn't catch him behind or even really gain on him in college.

https://youtu.be/RhqWMOA8zs4?t=6s

Granted, he played most of his games against a lower level of competition, but Edmonds has a nearly identical BMI/40 time compared with Sony Michel. I wouldn't say Michel's size and speed definitely relegate him to afterthought status. Both guys are maybe slanted a bit towards a committee role due to their lack of elite size or speed, but Edmonds has good receiving skills and that's valuable in today's NFL.

I think he's somewhere in Gio Bernard/James White/Dion Lewis/Jerick McKinnon territory in terms of what he can be.

Biabreakable said:
You see something else and thats fine. Maybe pointing out a specific play that you think is exceptional and why would help.These are highlights and I don't see anything very special here.
The run I linked against Navy in the first post was a good one.

I like this play too. I've seen hurdle moves before, but that was a nice one.

The ability to catch the ball and be elusive in space is something that should help him make a team and get snaps in the NFL.

The run I linked against Navy in the first post was a good one.

I like this play too. I've seen hurdle moves before, but that was a nice one.

The ability to catch the ball and be elusive in space is something that should help him make a team and get snaps in the NFL.
On the first link I see 7 in the box they have two receivers on the left so Holy Cross slot defender playing the slot away from the play but in run support should it be a play to the left side. They have a TE playing back from the line a yard and the defense is outflanked on the right. Navy has 3 down linemen shading to the left side which is the open side of the field, you have the nose tackle lining up between the center and left guard. 49 is standing up on the closed side of the play across form the TE.

The play looks like inside zone with all of the linemen crashing down to the left. The TE blocks 49 and seals him to the outside. The slot corner on the left blitzes and there is a massive hole that develops on the right as the line crashes down. Edmonds is quick enough to get past the unblocked blitzer and uses a plant step to the right as he hits the hole, He uses footwork to create a poor angle for the safety who misses him, then he is able to use a stiff arm and as you say a hurdle type move at the same time to beat the corners tackle after he cuts to the outside to beat the safety.

Watching it from the backside of the play you can see the poor angles defenders are taking and the good blocking on this play, but Edmonds does a good job of breaking the safety down while also using this combination of stiff arm and hurdle to defeat the corners tackle attempt.  He does have some good forward lean which presents a smaller target to the two defenders who have a chance to tackle him. The receiver does not block the corner much at all and he was the main defender who actually had a chance to make this play.

I do like this play more than the one that you call joystick moves, which is Edmonds using a spin move to get back to the inside then another spin move to avoid a defender before he does down.. 

The one handed catch is nice and he is able to use his hand to keep himself from going down and be able to extend the play.

I'm not sure what to think of the level of competition in the Patriot conference. Army and Navy are the only teams I am really familiar with. Not sure how Edmonds stacks up against other back up RB the Cardinals have right now such as Elijhaa Penny, TJ Logan or DJ Foster. FWIW I wasn't that impressed with Foster from preseason action I saw of him either.

Ditto.  Appears small and doesn't seem very explosive.
According to rotounderworld, Edmonds has an agility score (see below) in the 96th percentile. He’s similar to Dion Lewis in my opinion.

Agility Score – Agility Score is simply the sum of a player’s 20-Yard Short Shuttle time and 3-Cone Drill times. This number measures a player’s short area quickness and balance and correlates with an ability to avoid tackles and compile yards before contact.

DJ had one great year. He's a fantastic pass catcher. He's also going to be a FA and at his age I don't see them signing him. If this guy shows, he could be a good stash. Situations change quick.
There has been zero talk about not resigning DJ. There’s no doubt they will resign him.

Why is there no doubt? A rebuilding team signing a 27 yr old RB for big bucks makes little sense.
Because if you hit at QB rebuilding takes about 14 seconds in the NFL.  They didn't trade up to take Rosen at 10 only to let their best player walk less than a year later.  They will have a (potentially franchise) QB on a rookie deal and can spend like hell around him to support him - that's a dream scenario, and they have it for 4 more years after this.  They aren't going to miss that window.

Cardinals coach Steve Wilks views rookie Chase Edmonds as a potential every-down back backup.

"You want a guy that’s going to be able to step up, give you the same elements from the standpoint of a three-down back that you’re going to be able to use out in space, but most importantly, in pass protection," Wilks said. Edmonds got first-team minicamp reps with David Johnson in a contract dispute. He's the heavy favorite to be Arizona's No. 2 back over D.J. Foster and 2017 fifth-rounder T.J. Logan. Johnson's injury history makes Edmonds a high upside handcuff.

Source: azcardinals.com 

Jul 4 - 7:16 PM

:ph34r:

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2018/8/4/17652084/cards-camp-2018-recap-the-red-white-practice

Chase Edmonds Is Arguably The Biggest Story of Camp

Just how good of a camp is Chase Edmonds having?

Good enough that not just once, but twice, star Running Back David Johnson lined up at fullback, with Edmonds as the back behind him.

Seriously.

Johnson ended up blocking for the smaller Edmonds on the play, but on another one both ran out on a pattern.

Call me crazy, but I don’t think DJ will be switching positions permanently any time soon.

With the Cardinals having two three-down backs who can block, catch and run, having both Johnson and Edmonds out on the field at the same time gives different looks to take advantage of defenders who can’t keep up with them in the run or receiving game.

On another play, Johnson and Edmonds were motioned out of the backfield and lined up on the left side of the line out wide as receivers. Going from a typical I-formation to suddenly being able to go 5-wide is a testament to the flexibility that OC Mike McCoy wants in his offense.

Despite the fact that David Johnson is a legitimate superstar at the position, Edmonds has played so well that he might deserve to be the top overall story of camp, outside maybe of Sam Bradford.

:drive:

Good training camp for Edmonds. Locked up the #2 RB job behind DJ really early. His own RB coach has described him as a solid three-down back:

“He’s a solid three-down back,” Wilks said of Edmonds. “I say that because he’s good in protection, so you’re not losing a lot. You can also split him in the slot and move him around a little bit. You may question his size but he’s pretty physical between the tackles.”

11 carries for 55 yards in tonight's audition, including this 28 yarder:

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000951651%2FChase-Edmonds-hops-past-defender-sprints-for-28-yards

If nothing else, DJ owners might want to think about handcuffing him if they haven't already.

Rotoworld take:

Chase Edmonds - RB -  Cardinals

Chase Edmonds rushed 11 times for 55 yards and caught 2-of-2 targets for eight yards in the Cardinals' third preseason game.

As every-down bellcow David Johnson didn't touch the ball once, Edmonds operated as Arizona's first-team back and didn't embarrass himself in the process. A fourth-round pick out of Fordham, Edmonds would become an every-week RB2 if Johnson went down. For now, Edmonds is a mere late-bench roster stash.

Aug 27 - 12:39 AM

Sadly I just lost MLB Deion Jones to IR for at least eight weeks...  Any Guru's buy into the idea that because of the Cards poor defensive play that 2nd half catchup opportunities in the passing game could lead to the starter role?  Guy sounds both humble (Respect for his OLine) and thankful while lacking real cred and/or pub considering production  Warning! longer video...  https://youtu.be/yfBjNEf9BbA

1,984 rushing yards as a Senior in H.S.  I realize such stats shouldn't mean too much  But I personally like seeing production in what could be best case scenario

Could be one of the hot waiver adds of the week. 

Chasing points?
I see what you did there...

And yes, it would be chasing points.  Highly unpredictable and gamescript dependent, even if it turns out the Cards are using the rest of the lost season to see which of their youngsters are worth hanging on to.

Dynasty on the other hand, he should already be rostered, and this sort of game is a great sign for his future value.  Hold with confidence.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury expects a "really nice role" for second-year RB Chase Edmonds.

"He’s a really good player. I've been surprised at his ability as a pass catcher," Kingsbury said during minicamp. "I think watching (Edmonds), you know, I knew what David (Johnson) could do out of the backfield, but watching (Edmonds), that’s a strong point of his game as well. So he’ll have a really nice role in the offense." Despite the praise, Kingsbury went on to intimate that Edmonds will be little more than a breather back. Edmonds does appear locked into No. 2 duties. The 23-year-old remains an intriguing stash in Dynasty leagues.

SOURCE: Arizona Republic

Jun 19, 2019, 3:44 PM ET

Quiet summer

With the number of plays they’ll be running and likely game scripts, this guy might have some stand alone value in redraft 

Strictly late round flier 

I took him with my next to last pick in 1 league—idp and 30 man rosters.

They’ve kind of gushed about him and talked about using them both on the field together.  

Figure he’s worth the sit and watch. If he has some stand alone value, great.  If not, I’m happy to have the backup in this offense.

I'm heavily invested in dynasty and I think he's showing nice little flashes.

Can he ever be a starter in the league? It's always been a big question, but he is sticking on the roster and commanding touches, which is positive.

Yeah, look at how every other backup RB produced in AZ last year. 

Small, slow running backs don't find a lot of success in the NFL.
It's always a bit of a 🤡 move to quote people's takes that have aged poorly, but honestly he doesn't look small or slow these days: 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001062637/Chase-Edmonds-CARVES-through-Bengals-defense-on-37-yard-TD

He's looking more and more like a starting caliber NFL RB, which would be a lot more exciting if he weren't stuck in a RBBC with 2.5 years left on his deal.

Still, his arrow seems to be pointing upwards.

Ehh.  He did make a nice read and then broke a pretty half hearted tackle attempt.  Hadn’t seen that highlight and guess I expected quite a bit more when you bumped and linked this.  I’m an owner across most leagues, so I’m hoping you’re right. At this stage I’d say he looks like an adequate NFL RB, but “more and more like a starting caliber RB” may be stretching it a bit.  To me that means staying power, and I’m not super optimistic.

I’m going to stash him in one dynasty for as long as I can hold the roster slot but yeah DJ is going to hang around long enough to make it tough to wait. I think he’s showing enough to make him worth holding though. 

He's in some ways looking like a better back than DJ these days.
I’ve said the same in a few threads. DJ is a fantastic receiver, which makes up for his lackluster running production, but Edmonds may be a better all around RB (not sure about blocking). 

It’s going to take some patience for Edmonds though, as DJ probably isn’t going anywhere for a few years barring injury.

Chase Edmonds rushed five times for 34 yards and caught a receiving touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 6 win over the Falcons.

David Johnson was able to play through his back injury and ended with 12 carries and six receptions. That didn't give Edmonds a lot of opportunities, but he made the most of them. Edmonds found some space on a short pass from Kyler Murray and bulldozed his way into the end zone. If Johnson were to miss time at any point in the season, Edmonds would be a fringe RB1 in fantasy. He's one of the best handcuffs in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread