What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chase Edmonds, TB (1 Viewer)

I went back and forth on this all week, but eventually decided to steer away from the AZ running game this week.
I had too many healthy receivers that were sure to get run and I didn't like his usage against Dallas, though I think that was more game script than anything. But I am not a Drake GM, too, so I don't have the luxury of starting one or the other.

I'm glad I traded Drake this offseason for McLaurin. That's looking like a heads-up move among some dud moves.

Guy has 4/55 on the ground 7/87 in the air. Half PPR is 18 points plus.

Nice night if you had the stones or the necessity to throw him in there.
Guy has been averaging over 10 FP a game, and actually debated putting him in over Jacobs because of the TB D, then dismissed the idea because how can you sit Jacobs regardless?

Would have been an incredible move.

This was the hardship with Edmonds all along -- he carries weekly value, has a specific role in this offense, and is largely trusted by players and staff. But always hard to start him as his upside is capped because the team was just as committed to trying to get Drake going.

If Drake sits for a week or longer, sky's the limit for this guy.

There's no reason why Chase Edmonds should be on the wire.
And yet he is. Not everyone plays in the exact same format and a lot of leagues have incredibly short benches by design. You can carry a maximum of two bench spots for RBs in one league I’m in (I would need to drop Henderson or Gibson to pick up Edmonds), and I know a lot of people that have similar set ups. 

And yet he is. Not everyone plays in the exact same format and a lot of leagues have incredibly short benches by design. You can carry a maximum of two bench spots for RBs in one league I’m in (I would need to drop Henderson or Gibson to pick up Edmonds), and I know a lot of people that have similar set ups. 
Ok... there's no reason why Chase Edmonds should be on the wire in leagues in which normal people participate 🙂

Chase Edmonds rushed five times for 58 yards and caught seven passes for 87 yards in Week 7 against Seattle.

Edmonds didn’t have any carries until Kenyan Drake was carted off with an ankle injury in the fourth quarter. He continued to be featured in the pass game, where he’s had at least six targets three of the last four games. There had already been talk of Edmonds as a better fit for the Cardinals' offense and he could now potentially be looking at an every-down role with Drake sidelined. Arizona is off next week, but Edmonds will be an RB2 if Drake isn't ready coming out of the bye.

Oct 26, 2020, 12:28 AM ET

-jb- said:
I would drop either of those two for Edmonds now but I get your point. 

-jb- said:
Short bench and no IR position would do it.   I have  Chubb / Mixon / Mostert and Freeman .. and no starting RB for next week .  Will blow it all up to get Edmonds and plug starter next week - bye bye Freeman and Mostert!

About a month or so seems to be the speculation.  I'd imagine at least thru week 11 as the guy and then after that we will just have to see.

I hate injuries but they are part of the game.

Giddy up.

Wolf of Roto Street

⁦‪@RotoStreetWolf⁩

Chase Edmonds has topped 10 touches just twice in his career.

Wk 7 (2020): 12 touches (7 rec), 145 YFS, 21.5 FPs
Wk 7 (2019): 29 touches (2 rec), 150 YFS, 3 TDs, 35 FPs

Top-5 RB both weeks. Now gets at least 2-3 games w/o Drake. Could carry to titles

rotostreetjournal.com/2020/10/26/cha…

10/27/20, 8:36 AM

We know Drake is not out for the year.

Is the all FAAB on Edmonds based on the premise that given his talent/3 down role, he won't lose starting job in the fantasy playoffs which is when Drake is expected to be back?

Or are we only looking at a 4-5 week rental?

Last edited by a moderator:

Is the all FAAB on Edmonds based on the premise that given his talent/3 down role, he won't lose starting job in the fantasy playoffs which is when Drake is expected to be back?

I have both Drake and Edmonds, and I have a feeling that once they see how the offense operates with Edmonds getting around 15 touches a week, that won't change even when Drake is healthy enough to get back in the line-up. I can see any even split when both are in the line-up.

I don't know how anyone can assume that Drake simply loses the starting job at this point. Sure, the Wally Pipp phenomena is a thing, but it's hard to predict that up front.

I have to think most have to assume that Chase is going to be a workhorse back in the next 5-6 weeks, with a good shot at 20 carries a game, with those carries and TD opportunities limited only by Murray, who may be apt to run a little more and continue to vulture TDs.

As for a rental, I don't think that's right either -- Edmonds has a defined role in this offense, and is a little more than just a passing down back -- there seems to be specific schemes for his usage and I don't think that changes when Drake returns -- that is to say, Edmonds maintains the value he has to date, which is a credible flex play particularly against matchups that are weak to cover receivers out of the backfield.

TL;DR: the all FAAB on Edmonds is based on the primary back designation he will have for the next 6 weeks, the upside and value he still has when Drake returns, and the possibility (slim though I believe it to be) that Edmonds stays the lead back (or flips to 1A to Drake's 1B) when Drake returns.

I don't know how anyone can assume that Drake simply loses the starting job at this point. Sure, the Wally Pipp phenomena is a thing, but it's hard to predict that up front.

I have to think most have to assume that Chase is going to be a workhorse back in the next 5-6 weeks, with a good shot at 20 carries a game, with those carries and TD opportunities limited only by Murray, who may be apt to run a little more and continue to vulture TDs.

As for a rental, I don't think that's right either -- Edmonds has a defined role in this offense, and is a little more than just a passing down back -- there seems to be specific schemes for his usage and I don't think that changes when Drake returns -- that is to say, Edmonds maintains the value he has to date, which is a credible flex play particularly against matchups that are weak to cover receivers out of the backfield.

TL;DR: the all FAAB on Edmonds is based on the primary back designation he will have for the next 6 weeks, the upside and value he still has when Drake returns, and the possibility (slim though I believe it to be) that Edmonds stays the lead back (or flips to 1A to Drake's 1B) when Drake returns.
I agree with almost all of this, but I think Edmonds has a chance to change the landscape a bit depending on his play over the next few weeks. I don't think he'll relegate Drake to the bench, but I think he can earn himself a handful of extra touches a week with both in the line-up.

Cardinals RB Chase Edmonds is expected to be the team's primary ball carrier with Kenyan Drake (ankle) out. 

Edmonds last week tallied 58 yards on five carries and 87 yards on seven catches in Arizona's overtime win against the Seahawks. Notching 6.1 yards per carry on 29 rushes this season, Edmonds could be a borderline RB1 with a full workload in the few weeks Drake is expected to miss with his ankle injury. He should be the top waiver add in all leagues this week. Rookie RB Eno Benjamin should be added in deeper formats as the potential next guy up in the Cardinals' backfield. Drake has accounted for a team-high 29 percent of Arizona's total opportunity (rushes plus targets) through seven weeks. 

RELATED: 

Kenyan Drake

, Eno Benjamin

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 27, 2020, 10:04 AM ET

Any trade action? Got offered a 1st (currently the 1.05, in reach of the 1.03 but also the playoffs if he blows up). 

it feels like a trade I should make on paper (he’s a luxury on that roster and I got him cheap) but I like the talent, his advanced stats look great and he’s about to get his shot to become a thing long-term. Leaning towards declining

Chase seems like a guy where he is more effective when you sprinkle him in. I think his effectiveness is somewhat flattened out at the cost of more volume. We saw Edmonds fade a little last year when he was given the keys and then they went out and got Drake and everything changed.

Chase might have the juice where he can produce at a high level for a game or two when he has the gig all to himself but I wouldn’t bet on that long term. Physically I don’t think he’s built for that. 

Now the interesting thing is Hopkins is the new variable here. We haven’t seen what he can do with someone on the outside that commands the attention that Nuk gets. So I remain hopeful that this new wrinkle will allow Chase to squeeze a little more out of his opportunities than last season. But to expect him to be a horse running the ball week in week out I will remain a wee skeptical. Let him live out in space and on the edges, try not to force him to be something he might not have the heart to be. They brought in Drake bc I think they saw that

We saw Edmonds fade a little last year when he was given the keys and then they went out and got Drake and everything changed
Full stop. No we didn't. We saw him rush 27 times for 135 yards and then get hurt the next game.

We have no idea if he'll fade or not. My money is on what you're getting at -- that he's not built as an everyday back, but your reasoning and historical analysis are not correct. They got Drake because Edmonds pulled his hammy. That's the way the season went.

Full stop. No we didn't. We saw him rush 27 times for 135 yards and then get hurt the next game.

We have no idea if he'll fade or not. My money is on what you're getting at -- that he's not built as an everyday back, but your reasoning and historical analysis are not correct. They got Drake because Edmonds pulled his hammy. That's the way the season went.
This is exactly right.

I know Edmonds has had 2 huge games when he's actually gotten over 10 touches, but I think league winning upside isn't what he brings. I like Edmonds, but this is a pass first offense, with a QB who vultures TDs. I think Edmonds will be a solid RB2 while Drake is out, but I also think its important to remember that his 2 big games, both came against awful defenses, and were both games where the defense was prepared for someone else. I do wonder if he could be a little like Tevin Coleman, where his big plays fade when teams actually prepping for him.

I'm expecting RB10-15(which is still great) more than a true difference maker. This isn't Kareem Hunt in my opinion, or even Latavius Murray when Kamara went down a year ago. I think this is more like Giovani Bernard, which is still pretty valuable, but league winner is a bit of hyperbole I think.

Let's not forget that that game was the only game where he had double digit carries. In analysis, extrapolating one game to form a long term narrative is not wise. I'm asking myself why did they go out and trade for Drake then? I am not one to boast but clearly they see the same things I see. Now if they have shown to consistently feed him on runs in the past then we have a valid argument but I have to side with the numbers and tendencies here mate. All love

I know Edmonds has had 2 huge games when he's actually gotten over 10 touches, but I think league winning upside isn't what he brings. I like Edmonds, but this is a pass first offense, with a QB who vultures TDs. I think Edmonds will be a solid RB2 while Drake is out, but I also think its important to remember that his 2 big games, both came against awful defenses, and were both games where the defense was prepared for someone else. I do wonder if he could be a little like Tevin Coleman, where his big plays fade when teams actually prepping for him.

I'm expecting RB10-15(which is still great) more than a true difference maker. This isn't Kareem Hunt in my opinion, or even Latavius Murray when Kamara went down a year ago. I think this is more like Giovani Bernard, which is still pretty valuable, but league winner is a bit of hyperbole I think.
I agree with both you and TeeZee though not for the history TeeZee pointed out, but his subsequent logic.

I don't view Edmonds as an every-down back, nor is his backup, Eno Benjamin. If you really want to be ahead of the dynasty curve, Jonathan Ward, a UDFA, is their third back now and he's 6'0" 200 lbs. Drake isn't long for Arizona (he's only transitioned through this year) and Edmonds has a year-plus remaining, but the guy from Central Michigan might be the guy to focus on.

I agree with both you and TeeZee though not for the history TeeZee pointed out, but his subsequent logic.

I don't view Edmonds as an every-down back, nor is his backup, Eno Benjamin. If you really want to be ahead of the dynasty curve, Jonathan Ward, a UDFA, is their third back now and he's 6'0" 200 lbs. Drake isn't long for Arizona (he's only transitioned through this year) and Edmonds has a year-plus remaining, but the guy from Central Michigan might be the guy to focus on.
With all due respect, I think Chase's history supports my claim that he isn't a guy (yet) you run the rock 20+ times a game. It's his future usage that you might have me on bc just bc he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean he can't or won't. If anything, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that he may become a guy that can handle double digit carries but his history absolutely suggests that as of today, he isn't. Pull up his game logs for his entire career, somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the only time he has eclipsed double digit carries (let alone 27 as you pointed out) is one. After all there are such things as anomalies and the 27 carry game you pointed out was just that. Now if he goes out the next game and they give him the rock to run 15+ times between the tackles then we might be on to something but even then, I need to see your overall body of work before I label him something he has not shown to be.

With all due respect, I think Chase's history supports my claim that he isn't a guy (yet) you run the rock 20+ times a game. It's his future usage that you might have me on bc just bc he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean he can't or won't. If anything, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that he may become a guy that can handle double digit carries but his history absolutely suggests that as of today, he isn't. Pull up his game logs for his entire career, somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the only time he has eclipsed double digit carries (let alone 27 as you pointed out) is one.
We're both basically saying the same thing, you're just content to look at his history as a backup as proof. I'm not. I'm saying he's not built that way. But we're in agreement. No need to parse the logic anymore than it already has been. You either agree with the reasoning we've put forward or you don't or you synthesize it. At this point, the debate is all but over for the shouting.

Wow I feel like there is some serious overthinking going on here. Of course he is going to be the man for the next several weeks. Of course that's worth it. If you don't like RBs that dominate carries and catch passes then I really can't help you. I doubt I get him in FAAB this week but not because I don't want him. 

Wow I feel like there is some serious overthinking going on here. Of course he is going to be the man for the next several weeks. Of course that's worth it. If you don't like RBs that dominate carries and catch passes then I really can't help you. I doubt I get him in FAAB this week but not because I don't want him. 
Yep

I have good wrs in one but sucking in the rb department , lost Saquon 

I have 69% left , I’m all in tonight

If he isn't going to be the man then what are we looking at? I have zero doubt they sprinkle Eno in a little. Not sure if there are any notable vets worth signing. But I'm going to go ahead assume Chase is the guy until Drake gets back. No idea what happens after that. I could sure use a RB rental for a few weeks. 

We're both basically saying the same thing, you're just content to look at his history as a backup as proof. I'm not. I'm saying he's not built that way. But we're in agreement. No need to parse the logic anymore than it already has been. You either agree with the reasoning we've put forward or you don't or you synthesize it. At this point, the debate is all but over for the shouting.
I don't think anyone is shouting, just clarifying my communication and sharing ideas and perspective mate. Cheers

Of course he is going to be the man for the next several weeks.
This we agree on. But how long will the stint last and is it enough to spend beaucoup dollars on. A lot of sites are predicting that Edmonds wins the job away from Drake or commenters have them Wally Pipping him. So it's against the range of possibilities and the length of time of certainty that one should judge people's opinions on.

Yep

I have good wrs in one but sucking in the rb department , lost Saquon 

I have 69% left , I’m all in tonight
All in like emptying the wallet?

As a first time using FAAB (playing FF for years) is it fine to spend it all by mid year?

This we agree on. But how long will the stint last and is it enough to spend beaucoup dollars on. A lot of sites are predicting that Edmonds wins the job away from Drake or commenters have them Wally Pipping him. So it's against the range of possibilities and the length of time of certainty that one should judge people's opinions on.
Yeah I mean I feel like even if I knew for certain he would be out for the rest of the season after 5 more weeks, say, I'd still blow my load on the bid. On certain teams anyway. If I limp into the playoffs in terms of my budget, so be it. A million times better than missing the playoffs because I didn't want to spend too many fake credits. But yeah some teams I don't need it. Others I do. 

I'm totally talking about 2020 only. I don't worry about whether he is worth it beyond that. 

I'm totally talking about 2020 only. I don't worry about whether he is worth it beyond that. 
Gotcha. He's on my dynasty team and no redraft teams, so I'm coming at it from a very different angle. That's why I'm picking up Ward (I can't see Eno becoming an every-down back or even replacing Edmonds, though Waldman was high on Benjamin -- even over Edmonds) tonight.

As a first time using FAAB (playing FF for years) is it fine to spend it all by mid year?
It’s hard to say. 
I have Ridley , Adams, A Brown, Cooks and Higgins at WR

Kittle at TE

Im starting McKissic and Gordon at RB with Taylor

Im 3 in points but 8th in standings, I need to win now 

Im bidding everything screw it

I mean, opinions vary and you'll want to trust your own instincts. In the big FPC contests you cannot pick up players any other way and must have at least 1 credit available to bid to win a player. So it is unwise to "empty the wallet" in such a league. But I think you could interpret that phrase more as "spend large portion of stack" and take it where you will. Plus you gotta know your leaguemates and such. Many people in my leagues will have most of their budget leftover at the end of the year. I'm more on the "get your guy" end of the spectrum, which leads me to do stupid things like spend moderately on guys like Artavis Pierce. 

Gotcha. He's on my dynasty team and no redraft teams, so I'm coming at it from a very different angle. That's why I'm picking up Ward (I can't see Eno becoming an every-down back or even replacing Edmonds, though Waldman was high on Benjamin -- even over Edmonds) tonight.
**runs to google machine to look up**

Not the Philly WR?

Yeah I have him in one dynasty and would certainly roster him where I can in others if available. But I figure if he helps me this year, then anything that *might* happen next year is just gravy. Plus, within that narrative he would be gaining value so even if he didn't stick around you might be able to flip and profit. So, again, why not spend it? If needed. Sure is an elite offense. 

How could Chase not be rostered, especially in high stakes leagues? In a back up role, he's put up good numbers. Now you're looking at possible stud

How could Chase not be rostered, especially in high stakes leagues? In a back up role, he's put up good numbers. Now you're looking at possible stud
The Drake owner in my league traded drake, then dropped Edmonds for Akers. Oof.

Hes a pretty solid fantasy player, but I guess sometimes some see more value in your own handcuff than others.

5 man benches. Hindsight is 20/20 but still the wrong call with Akers getting no carries last week.

Users who are viewing this thread