Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty: RB Chase Edmonds, Cardinals


EBF

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

The Drake owner in my league traded drake, then dropped Edmonds for Akers. Oof.

Hes a pretty solid fantasy player, but I guess sometimes some see more value in your own handcuff than others.

5 man benches. Hindsight is 20/20 but still the wrong call with Akers getting no carries last week.

In the league I own Edmonds, I drafted him and held on the whole year. We only have 8 bench spots (those got expanded this year by 2 cuz of Covid). On a side note, my dumb ### is holding on to Chubb after their owner dropped them. And picked up AB last week. Now I'm in a pinch for a flex. Sigh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can think of no leagues I'm in where Chase Edmonds isn't rostered. That's not one of those superiority statements, it's just that in every league I'm in he was one of the first backup RBs chosen because of exactly this situation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, barackdhouse said:

**runs to google machine to look up**

Not the Philly WR?

Nope. Jonathan. Undrafted FA out of Central Michigan. 6'0", 200 lbs. I'm not even sure what the shark move is beyond having already had Edmonds as a handcuff. Seems all quite up for grabs and would depend on practice, etc.

Practice? We talkin' bout practice, mang.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rockaction said:

 

I don't view Edmonds as an every-down back, nor is his backup, Eno Benjamin. If you really want to be ahead of the dynasty curve, Jonathan Ward, a UDFA, is their third back now and he's 6'0" 200 lbs. Drake isn't long for Arizona (he's only transitioned through this year) and Edmonds has a year-plus remaining, but the guy from Central Michigan might be the guy to focus on.

Curious on your take here, rock, why Edmonds nor Benjamin aren't 3-down back material.

I think we can all agree that the Cards RB spot seems like a potential goldmine. Edmonds has looked good and the coaching staff have touted him as a potential 3-down back. And there was a lot of buzz around Benjamin possibly having that skill set as well. Granted, that can all be coach speak. Don't know anything about Ward, so interested to hear any scouting reports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Curious on your take here, rock, why Edmonds nor Benjamin aren't 3-down back material.

I think we can all agree that the Cards RB spot seems like a potential goldmine. Edmonds has looked good and the coaching staff have touted him as a potential 3-down back. And there was a lot of buzz around Benjamin possibly having that skill set as well. Granted, that can all be coach speak. Don't know anything about Ward, so interested to hear any scouting reports.

Ward was one of Waldman's favorites in the UDFA class and he said to stash him at some point if possible and if there was reason. He liked his speed and pass-catching ability. "Ward is an excellent fit for the spread scheme in Arizona, because he's an excellent route runner and pass receiver from the backfield. He has enough speed to break plays, runs with determination, and he fits the mold of a scat back with enough heft to work with. He'll compete for a final roster spot with a good showing this summer/fall." Well, he's off the practice squad and has been for a bit.

As far as why Edmonds and Benjamin don't strike me as three-down guys, I guess I just have a hunch from watching Edmonds and Benjamin's highlights. Waldman was high on Benjamin. I saw a painfully average back, but highlights can be misleading. I may be missing virtues to Benjamin's game that Waldman can see a little more easily. I don't really think he's that fast. According to RotoUnderworld, he ran a 4.57. He posted an above-average 11.22 (71st-percentile) Agility Score, but his 4.57 (56th-percentile) 40-yard dash resulted in a below-average 94.9 (44th-percentile) Speed Score, and his lackluster twelve reps (4th-percentile) on the bench press contributed to his 105.6 (33rd-percentile) SPARQ-x score.

I didn't see a great athlete in Benjamin and this appears to confirm it. Ward ran around a 4.53, according to sources, though nothing concrete can be found. That said, Edmonds ran a 4.55, so they're all clustered around the 205 lb. range with similar speed scores, it would seem. Edmonds had a 95.5 Speed Score with an agility score in the 97th percentile, so it seems like he has more burst than Benjamin. He also benched 7 more reps. 

So back to the three-down thing. Call it a hunch. AZ plays a spread offense, so you wouldn't expect its back to be a pounder; rather, you'd expect someone adept at catching the ball and running the read-option, which Edmonds is. But a three-down back? I don't know. I'd expect to see a rotation with the two guys, maybe with Ward rotating in once a game.

Really, I'm just spitballing. Take this information with a grain of salt, really. I roster both Edmonds and Ward in dynasty now (bid went through for a buck tonight) so I'm hoping that one of the two takes it by the throttle in the upcoming year or so.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Ward was one of Waldman's favorites in the UDFA class and he said to stash him at some point if possible and if there was reason. He liked his speed and pass-catching ability. "Ward is an excellent fit for the spread scheme in Arizona, because he's an excellent route runner and pass receiver from the backfield. He has enough speed to break plays, runs with determination, and he fits the mold of a scat back with enough heft to work with. He'll compete for a final roster spot with a good showing this summer/fall." Well, he's off the practice squad and has been for a bit.

As far as why Edmonds and Benjamin don't strike me as three-down guys, I guess I just have a hunch from watching Edmonds and Benjamin's highlights. Waldman was high on Benjamin. I saw a painfully average back, but highlights can be misleading. I may be missing virtues to Benjamin's game that Waldman can see a little more easily. I don't really think he's that fast. According to RotoUnderworld, he ran a 4.57. He posted an above-average 11.22 (71st-percentile) Agility Score, but his 4.57 (56th-percentile) 40-yard dash resulted in a below-average 94.9 (44th-percentile) Speed Score, and his lackluster twelve reps (4th-percentile) on the bench press contributed to his 105.6 (33rd-percentile) SPARQ-x score.

I didn't see a great athlete in Benjamin and this appears to confirm it. Ward ran around a 4.53, according to sources, though nothing concrete can be found. That said, Edmonds ran a 4.55, so they're all clustered around the 205 lb. range with similar speed scores, it would seem. Edmonds had a 95.5 Speed Score with an agility score in the 97th percentile, so it seems like he has more burst than Benjamin. He also benched 7 more reps. 

So back to the three-down thing. Call it a hunch. AZ plays a spread offense, so you wouldn't expect its back to be a pounder; rather, you'd expect someone adept at catching the ball and running the read-option, which Edmonds is. But a three-down back? I don't know. I'd expect to see a rotation with the two guys, maybe with Ward rotating in once a game.

Really, I'm just spitballing. Take this information with a grain of salt, really. I roster both Edmonds and Ward in dynasty now (bid went through for a buck tonight) so I'm hoping that one of the two takes it by the throttle in the upcoming year or so.

Good stuff and well thought out. 👍

Edmonds clearly seems to be the next man up for this year, but that doesn't mean he'll be the workhorse either this year or beyond. The metrics may or may not be emblematic of what these guys can do on the field, but it's all we have right now on Benjamin and Ward.

Definitely a situation to monitor long term, because I doubt Drake is back next year unless he has a late season resurgence like he had last year. 

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

Darren Urban

⁦‪@Cardschatter⁩

On a more positive note, Kingsbury said the injury to RB Kenyan Drake wasn't as bad as first feared. He called Drake "day to day" although he wasn't sure that meant playing this week. Said Cards and Drake were "very fortunate" from what it first looked like.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is Kingsbury honest about injuries?  Genuine question.

A slight ligament tear on the right ankle is still the prognosis.  If Drake makes it back in two weeks, that means he should be able to cut and plant on that right ankle, in addition to taking all the hits.  This isn't an offensive lineman.  It's a RB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2020 at 7:33 AM, zamboni said:

Edmonds clearly seems to be the next man up for this year, but that doesn't mean he'll be the workhorse either this year or beyond. The metrics may or may not be emblematic of what these guys can do on the field, but it's all we have right now on Benjamin and Ward.

Definitely a situation to monitor long term, because I doubt Drake is back next year unless he has a late season resurgence like he had last year. 

Pretty much my take. It's important to remember that Edmonds role the last few years has been the fun part of the playbook. Counters, sweeps, screen passes, wheel routes. Not too many dives and grinding it out in short {yard}age situations. Smallish guy (205 or so - about the same as Drake when he came out, before bulking up), not really the bell cow type. But super fast and fun to watch out in the open.

Probably see a lot of touches for a week or two in plus matchups. Miami's D has been coming on the last month or so but they haven't faced an offense like the Cardinals during that stretch. Buffalo is middle of the pack versus the run.

After that, I presume Drake goes back to his lead back role, and Edmonds probably remains in his "fun part of the playbook" role. Even on limited touches with Drake around, he's still a good Flex option most weeks. For the next two weeks, you're starting him. Don't overthink it.

Edited by BobbyLayne
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Pretty much my take. It's important to remember that Edmonds role the last few years has been the fun part of the playbook. Counters, sweeps, screen passes, wheel routes. Not too many dives and grinding it out in shortage situations. Smallish guy (205 or so - about the same as Drake when he came out, before bulking up), not really the bell cow type. But super fast and fun to watch out in the open.

Probably see a lot of touches for a week or two in plus matchups. Miami's D has been coming on the last month or so but they haven't faced an offense like the Cardinals during that stretch. Buffalo is middle of the pack versus the run.

After that, I presume Drake goes back to his lead back role, and Edmonds probably remains in his "fun part of the playbook" role. Even on limited touches with Drake around, he's still a good Flex option most weeks. For the next two weeks, you're starting him. Don't overthink it.

I pretty much agree with all of this, but there's really no reason that Edmonds shouldn't be getting 12-15 touches per week, with Drake in the line-up. They should be damn near a 50-50 split.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, tricky92 said:

I pretty much agree with all of this, but there's really no reason that Edmonds shouldn't be getting 12-15 touches per week, with Drake in the line-up. They should be damn near a 50-50 split.

Soups not a meal. I’ll get the meal some other time.

I’ve been thinking that for two years, first with DJ and now with Kenyon. The reality is you have to pick your spots and hope he gets 10-12 touches that day. Edmonds can do a lot with a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, tricky92 said:

I pretty much agree with all of this, but there's really no reason that Edmonds shouldn't be getting 12-15 touches per week, with Drake in the line-up. They should be damn near a 50-50 split.

I hope not.  If that happens it puts a big cap on his potential.  If he is only getting 12-15 then you are banking on a long run or TD.  It can happen but it makes him riskier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Week 9 pressing fantasy football questions: Is J.K. Dobbins the key to turning Ravens offense around?

Excerpt:

Quote

Will Chase Edmonds seize this opportunity?

It’s no secret that Kenyan Drake has been one of the more underwhelming running backs this season. Arizona ranks 10th in run-play percentage and Drake personally has the seventh-most carries per game among backs. And yet, he’s been largely a hit or miss proposition in fantasy, sitting at RB22 on the year.

Now that he’s sporting an ankle injury that will likely keep him out at least this week, the Cardinals are set to turn to Chase Edmonds. The backup has long been an intriguing player dating back to his three-touchdown effort against the Giants in 2019. This season, Kliff Kingsbury has praised Edmonds as a starting-caliber back in the league and he’s been the clear leader in the passing down role with a 13.6 percent target share (to Drake’s 4.2 percent).

You can also argue that Edmonds has been the more explosive of the two runners with his 6.1 yards per carry figure.

Edmonds will more than likely get another shot to prove Kingsbury’s faith in him is well placed this weekend. He’ll get to do it against a Miami Dolphins defense that is ranked in the top-five in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metrics as a pass defense but dead last vs. the run. There’s a chance he never relinquishes the top gig if he runs well in this spot and Drake continues to miss time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

I’m starting him and would love nothing more than for him to take hold of this job, but I feel like these hype train smash spots almost never work out how you hope.

Well I have no options unless I start CeeDee Lamb.  And since Dak left I have no confidence in any DAL players.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Transparency alert: I've had Edmonds stashed all year on both my teams.  Time to spread some fake news!

I think I was too optimistic and willing to look past the run blocking problems AZ has had this year.  That said, a couple things stuck out to me yesterday:

1. From my own eyes, I thought Edmonds did a pretty good job of gaining yards after first contact.  By my anecdotal observations, this seems to be an area Drake struggled with.  Edmonds didn't really break any long gains, but he churned out some 4-5 yard runs after being hit in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.  That said, there are advanced stats that will tell us more about his performance once Edmonds has a larger sample size.

2. It's interesting that Edmonds was less involved in the passing game as a full-time starter.  Or perhaps concerning would be a better adjective.  It's one game, so not enough to call it a trend, but perhaps we're going to learn that Edmonds is actually more effective as a James White-type with good volume.

Edited by rschroeder1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rschroeder1 said:

Transparency alert: I've had Edmonds stashed all year on both my teams.  Time to spread some fake news!

I think I was too optimistic and willing to look past the run blocking problems AZ has had this year.  That said, a couple things stuck out to me yesterday:

1. From my own eyes, I thought Edmonds did a pretty good job of gaining yards after first contact.  By my anecdotal observations, this seems to be an area Drake struggled with.  Edmonds didn't really break any long gains, but he churned out some 4-5 yard runs after being hit in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage.  That said, there are advanced stats that will tell us more about his performance once Edmonds has a larger sample size.

2. It's interesting that Edmonds was less involved in the passing game as a full-time starter.  Or perhaps concerning would be a better adjective.  It's one game, so not enough to call it a trend, but perhaps we're going to learn that Edmonds is actually more effective as a James White-type with good volume.

Yeah, interesting observations.   I didn't watch the game closely, but appreciate your thoughts.

Looking at the game summary....I'm shocked that Arizona ran the ball so much.  Seemed like they should have continued to pass the ball and let Murray run wild when he needed to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Chase Edmonds rushed eight times for 56 yards, hauling in all three of his targets for 21 receiving yards in Arizona's Week 10 win over the Bills.

Kenyan Drake (ankle) got the first carry of the game and ultimately out-touched Edmonds 17 to 11 despite running the wrong play in the first quarter and, later on, coughing up a fumble during Arizona's first possession of the second half; Edmonds even sprinted for 25 yards on his first carry of the game. He still out-targeted Drake 3-1 but the Cardinals made it abundantly clear that this timeshare, coupled with Kyler Murray's eight red zone touchdowns on the ground, is here to stay as long as both running backs are available. Edmonds will revert back to a FLEX play with upside in Thursday's divisional tilt against the Seahawks.

Nov 15, 2020, 11:05 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How are folks feeling about Edmonds tonight?  I have the luxury of not needing to start him for once (I have Aaron Jones, Mike Davis and Kalen Ballage in my lineup this week) but feel unsure as usual.

I think the big sticking point for me is that the odds of Edmonds scoring a rushing touchdown is extremely low.  Murray is going to get most of the rushing TDs, and Drake is getting the spare carries inside the 10.  In two straight competitive games - Miami and Buffalo - Edmonds didn't get the receiving volume that would make me confident heading into tonight's game.  That said, I would expect an uptick in receiving work tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

How are folks feeling about Edmonds tonight?  I have the luxury of not needing to start him for once (I have Aaron Jones, Mike Davis and Kalen Ballage in my lineup this week) but feel unsure as usual.

I think the big sticking point for me is that the odds of Edmonds scoring a rushing touchdown is extremely low.  Murray is going to get most of the rushing TDs, and Drake is getting the spare carries inside the 10.  In two straight competitive games - Miami and Buffalo - Edmonds didn't get the receiving volume that would make me confident heading into tonight's game.  That said, I would expect an uptick in receiving work tonight.

I almost have to start him I’m in RB hell

Its him or Perine smh

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like most, hard for me to know if I should start Edmonds or the bunch of PPR WRs I have (Cooks, Moore, Jefferson) in the flex.

Have Jacobs and RoJo and don't think I can sit RoJo despite the tough matchup against the Rams.

So it's a flex nightmare as I don't have a good bead on who has most upside here -- kind of seeing their point tally net out the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got return yardage from him in my league tonight. That was a nice bonus.

12.90 Half PPR, 15.40 in my league, which is Half PPR for RBs also.

All in all, another steady FLEX showing, but it's unsustainable without goal line touches, of which he got one tonight on that TD pass and catch. But Drake is out there when they want to run the football down there.

He is, though, on the field when Arizona is in hurry-up mode or in obvious passing situations.

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Got return yardage from him in my league tonight. That was a nice bonus.

12.90 Half PPR, 15.40 in my league, which is Half PPR for RBs also.

All in all, another steady FLEX showing, but it's unsustainable without goal line touches, of which he got one tonight on that TD pass and catch. But Drake is out there when they want to run the football down there.

He is, though, on the field when Arizona is in hurry-up mode or in obvious passing situations.

Love that you have return yardage in your league -- I instituted that in my league a few years ago and while it was announced and pointed out how it works, I don't think anyone really paid it a lot of attention.

But I sure as heck do.

We have a 2/3rd point PPR, and Edmonds went just over 20 points tonight.

On my bench.

You are totally right that his value really is TD dependent but in leagues like ours it's such a super solid floor. It really makes it difficult to sit him but I did it yet again in the hopes that Cooks had better output. I don't think that happens this week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Quote

Chase Edmonds rushed six times for 29 yards in the Cardinals' Week 12 loss to the Patriots, adding four receptions for 14 additional yards. 

Edmonds has returned to pure COP duties since Kenyan Drake's return three games ago, totaling 27 touches for 169 yards. That's excellent efficiency for a No. 2 back, but it isn't making Edmonds much of a FLEX with bye weeks essentially over, save for two teams in Week 13. The Cardinals have a date with the Rams' tough defense, making Edmonds more of an RB4 than RB3. 

- Rotoworld

 

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Edmonds got hurt doing a backflip in the victory formation last week.  No really.

 

 

Quote

 

The Checkdown

⁦‪@thecheckdown⁩

Chase Edmonds hit that victory formation backflip 😎 ⁦‪@ChaseEdmonds22⁩ ⁦‪@AZCardinals⁩ pic.twitter.com/sxYo3qWMSX

 

12/13/20, 3:18 PM

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Chase Edmonds (ankle) didn't practice Thursday. 

Edmonds was out Wednesday too. Unless he can get in a limited practice Friday, Edmonds will probably miss Week 15 against the Eagles. He's seen 21 percent of the Cardinals' rushing attempts this year, so his absence would probably give more rushes to Kenyan Drake. Drake's high-value touches near the goal line should keep him in fantasy lineups every week. 

RELATED: 

Kenyan Drake

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter 

Dec 17, 2020, 4:32 PM ET

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CBS..
 

Quote

 

Cardinals' Chase Edmonds: Looks good in return to practice

(18 mins ago) Edmonds (ankle) returned to practice Friday, Darren Urban of the Cardinals' official site reports.

Edmonds was absent Wednesday and Thursday, but it now seems his ankle injury isn't too serious, with Urban relaying that the running back was "moving around pretty well" during Friday's practice. There was no sign of any problem last week in a 26-7 win over the Giants, as Edmonds took 11 touches for 53 yards while playing 51 percent of offensive snaps. Even if he's expected to play, he'll likely be listed on the Friday injury report after missing back-to-back practices. Kenyan Drake likely would take on more snaps if Edmonds were to miss Sunday's game against the Eagles.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Chase Edmonds (ankle) is questionable for Week 15 against the Eagles.

Edmonds went from DNP to DNP to limited in practice this week. He appears to be truly questionable. Kenyan Drake would be a bellcow RB1 if Edmonds is ruled out on Sunday. Drake has already been emerging with defenses making Kyler Murray the priority on zone reads.

DFS Slant:

Kenyan Drake, who benefits from consistent goal line usage, would become a superb Week 15 DFS option if Edmonds is sidelined. Drake would likely see a few more targets if Edmonds -- who has a 13 percent target share this season -- is out. 

RELATED: 

Kenyan Drake

Dec 18, 2020, 9:51 PM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2020 at 11:50 AM, Buck Bradcanon said:

CBS..
 

 

I was all set to go with Drake, this makes me second guess that. Now I'll just flip flop between him, Robby Anderson, and Landry for the next 24 hrs.

Edited by turkishkamel
or not, Robby plays tonight...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, turkishkamel said:

He's completely TD dependent though, always a bit scary.

And Landry is catch dependent, which never seems to be guaranteed! Ha! Robby Anderson isn't a terrible alternative based on potential upside. But, Drake can produce multiple TDs in a game (Eagles give up a ton of touchdowns to RBs).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cardinals RB Chase Edmonds (ankle, questionable) is expected to play in Week 15 against the Eagles.

Rapoport added that Edmonds "may have a reduced role, though, depending on how he feels." For anyone planning to start Edmonds in fantasy leagues, that has to be concerning. Edmonds was already getting by on a sparse role and now that is in question. He is nothing more than an RB4 versus the Eagles this week. Kenyan Drake would see an uptick in touches if Edmonds is limited. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 8:30 AM ET

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...