What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (1 Viewer)

So I want to get more into the expanded universe. Should I start with some books, comics, clone wars, etc? Also, any good audio books out there (narrator is big positive or negative). I really like fiction audio books for traveling.
Heir to the Empire books, Clone Wars, YouTube videos.  You could also play Knights of the Old Republic if you are a gamer.  Its an old game but a goodie.

I thought the thing with the Imperial terminal requiring a facial scan was pretty stupid. The only reason for it was to pair with the Imperial officer who might recognize Mayfield to force Mando to remove his helmet. It’s not like scanning his face was a security precaution as he couldn’t have been authorized to use the terminal. Just seemed a little lazy.

This show needs to win more awards.

When will season 3 release?

You know, you know, they will save the Kid and set up something big. And then we wait.
My guess is they save the kid and the big cliffhanger is the that a Jedi reveals himself to baby yoda. 

Tony Jabroni said:
This show needs to win more awards.

When will season 3 release?

You know, you know, they will save the Kid and set up something big. And then we wait.
Awards are meaningless. As long as people keep watching it, they'll keep making it  

bcdjr1 said:
I thought the thing with the Imperial terminal requiring a facial scan was pretty stupid. The only reason for it was to pair with the Imperial officer who might recognize Mayfield to force Mando to remove his helmet. It’s not like scanning his face was a security precaution as he couldn’t have been authorized to use the terminal. Just seemed a little lazy.
Every show has its contrivances. I can overlook it for what took place during the rest of the episode.

bcdjr1 said:
It looks like the terminal is pretty much open to others, so it could just be scanning faces to later see what person accessed what information. The Empire isn't exactly running a tight ship and sees a lot of turnover. Even Ewoks can take these guys down.

I thought the most unrealistic thing in the episode was the indigenous rebels having hover craft and thermal detonators but choosing pointy sticks as their main weapons. I know they did that because Mando was wearing imperial armor and couldn't take a shot from a blaster.

But again, didn't take away from the cool action scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awards are meaningless. As long as people keep watching it, they'll keep making it  
I’m sure awards are not meaningless to the people working on the show. 

It is insanely popular, maybe the most popular streaming only show that’s been made. They’ll get as many seasons as they want I imagine. 

I thought the most unrealistic thing in the episode was the indigenous rebels having hover craft and thermal detonators but choosing pointy sticks as their main weapons. I know they did that because Mando was wearing imperial armor and couldn't take a shot from a blaster.

I think they addressed this; the blaster shots would make the cargo explode, and they wanted to set the detonators on a timer to give themselves a chance to get off. That goal of self preservation wasn’t really consistent with the suicide charge at the bridge, though. 

I’m sure awards are not meaningless to the people working on the show. 

It is insanely popular, maybe the most popular streaming only show that’s been made. They’ll get as many seasons as they want I imagine. 
When they can be easily bought and paid for, there's not much in an award. 

I think they addressed this; the blaster shots would make the cargo explode, and they wanted to set the detonators on a timer to give themselves a chance to get off. That goal of self preservation wasn’t really consistent with the suicide charge at the bridge, though. 
Good point but then maybe they could have just shot the tankers from a distance if they were that volatile.

Capella said:
Fett hitting those tie fighters with that Sonic charge :wub:  

Also loved Fett saying they might recognize his face. 
Star Wars franchise is continuing to be as stellar for the noises as the visuals. We rewatched that scene on full volume a few times at the STC household -- not just for the boom itself but the after shock ripple sound. 

And Fett's line is the greatest throw-a-way in the SW universe. 

bcdjr1 said:
I didn't get that at all, either.

From a technological design view, why bother using facial recognition if, you know, it doesn't bother to actually recognize faces (otherwise wouldn't the software know that the Mandalorian is not registered as an Emperial soldier? 

From a user design standpoint, why build facial recognition into information access systems for a base where 80% of the users wear helmets all the damned time? (Yes, I know the terminal was in the officer's mess, just trying to be funny).

What about the fact that driving at speed and all the jostling was enough to get the rhydonium to a critical level, but a few full blasts from a TIE fighter's cannons less than a foot away was kosher?

For me, my main takeaways were:

• Never expected I would be rooting for TIE fighters to save day
  • Interesting peek into the human side of the Empire with all the troops celebrating Mando's and Mayfeld's run (only of course to have it starkly contrasted with the genocidal mania of their leaders)
  • Liked Burr's character arc -- and really liked the "I never saw your face" and look away moment.
  • Seems strange that someone with a code of never removing their helmet would also take the trouble to grow -- and have to put up with the grooming -- of a mustache.

• Interesting peek into the human side of the Empire with all the troops celebrating Mando's and Mayfeld's run (only of course to have it starkly contrasted with the genocidal mania of their leaders)
  • Liked Burr's character arc -- and really liked the "I never saw your face" and look away moment.
  • Seems strange that someone with a code of never removing their helmet would also take the trouble to grow -- and have to put up with the grooming -- of a mustache.
  • Agreed - I was all like YES!!! followed with a sheepish :oldunsure:  
  • Agreed - Really well done and shocking it wasn't done before. Came through the screen. It actually felt uncomfortable.
  • Agreed - They also seemed to let him play him a little which was nice. Bill is great. 
  • Agreed - I was thinking the same thing. Just weird to have any facial fashion given nobody is every going to see you. I guess if it ever does happen you wanna be ready for that moment. 

• Agreed - I was all like YES!!! followed with a sheepish :oldunsure:  
  • Agreed - Really well done and shocking it wasn't done before. Came through the screen. It actually felt uncomfortable.
  • Agreed - They also seemed to let him play him a little which was nice. Bill is great. 
  • Agreed - I was thinking the same thing. Just weird to have any facial fashion given nobody is every going to see you. I guess if it ever does happen you wanna be ready for that moment. 
Felt like the Rick and Marty episode where the helmet guy had a mustache, my guess is Peter needs it for another role that he is shooting but who knows 

Star Wars franchise is continuing to be as stellar for the noises as the visuals. We rewatched that scene on full volume a few times at the STC household -- not just for the boom itself but the after shock ripple sound. 

And Fett's line is the greatest throw-a-way in the SW universe. 

I didn't get that at all, either.

From a technological design view, why bother using facial recognition if, you know, it doesn't bother to actually recognize faces (otherwise wouldn't the software know that the Mandalorian is not registered as an Emperial soldier? 

From a user design standpoint, why build facial recognition into information access systems for a base where 80% of the users wear helmets all the damned time? (Yes, I know the terminal was in the officer's mess, just trying to be funny).

What about the fact that driving at speed and all the jostling was enough to get the rhydonium to a critical level, but a few full blasts from a TIE fighter's cannons less than a foot away was kosher?

The TIE fighter sound effects just make me smile. The guns, the "roar".

Boba Fett is a little "different" than all the other clones.

As part of agreeing to be the clone template, Jango Fett asked for an "unaltered" clone to keep as a son for himself, which turned out to be Boba.

Boba grew differently than the other clones.  The other clones were "altered" so that they would grow faster among other attribute differences.

The facial recognition was stupid. They could have gotten the same thing with the captain demanding he remove his helmet to address him. Mando would do so in this moment not to jeopardize the mission to save the kid. Actually would have been the bolder writing choice IMHO. 

The facial recognition was stupid. They could have gotten the same thing with the captain demanding he remove his helmet to address him. Mando would do so in this moment not to jeopardize the mission to save the kid. Actually would have been the bolder writing choice IMHO. 

At the risk of being too cynical, I suspect they think they need to find some reason to show his face at least once a season (supercynical take would be it being in the actor’s contract) Season 1 was him being injured. Season 2 is “facial recognition”.Season 3 might have his helmet get sheared off by the dark saber....

At the risk of being too cynical, I suspect they think they need to find some reason to show his face at least once a season (supercynical take would be it being in the actor’s contract) Season 1 was him being injured. Season 2 is “facial recognition”.Season 3 might have his helmet get sheared off by the dark saber....
I have a good buddy that works on the show. I keep meaning to ask him if Pascal is in suit for all the shooting or if he only does the dubbing. I can’t imagine he’s there except on face days.  

Nick Vermeil said:
I have a good buddy that works on the show. I keep meaning to ask him if Pascal is in suit for all the shooting or if he only does the dubbing. I can’t imagine he’s there except on face days.  
There’s a behind-the-scenes show on how they made season 1. There are 2-3 actors who are in the suit IIRC. 

I believe calling them midgets is not PC. Is it dwarf now? Height challenged? Little people?
My daughter is technically a "little person" (which is defined as any adult  4"10" or under)

Little person is the generic PC term or Person of Short Stature works well too.  Midget is considered highly offensive.

Boba Fett is a little "different" than all the other clones.

As part of agreeing to be the clone template, Jango Fett asked for an "unaltered" clone to keep as a son for himself, which turned out to be Boba.

Boba grew differently than the other clones.  The other clones were "altered" so that they would grow faster among other attribute differences.
And presumably sans Order 66? :oldunsure:

My daughter is technically a "little person" (which is defined as any adult under 4"10")

Little person is the generic PC term or Person of Short Stature works well too.  Midget is considered highly offensive.
I honestly don't know. I know midget is out of bounds, the rest I'm not up on. 

And the cutoff is 4'10"? That surprises me. 

Users who are viewing this thread