What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (2 Viewers)

I'm disappointed we aren't going to see the Nick Nolte Ugnaught as the sidekick. I could use more, "I have spoken."

This. IG11 got hired by someone other than the guys that hired the Mando. 
But as I said before, his wording was weird.  He said something to the effect that they were all seeing the same bounty.  I don't remember exactly but it was something like, "You saw what the bounty said:  We have to kill him."

I feel like thats not the last weve seen of Nolte. 
Agreed.  Too big of a name for that small part, IMO.  And since he asked if he wanted to come with him, I felt like it was setting up their relationship.  Like, in a couple episodes, Nick's land will be ransacked and destroyed by people looking for baby Yoda and he'll have nothing left to do but join the Mandalorian.  

Agreed.  Too big of a name for that small part, IMO.  And since he asked if he wanted to come with him, I felt like it was setting up their relationship.  Like, in a couple episodes, Nick's land will be ransacked and destroyed by people looking for baby Yoda and he'll have nothing left to do but join the Mandalorian.  
TheIronSheik has spoken.

By the way, I can definitely see that happening.

Appreciate the recommendation.  I'm so far removed from the series but looking for a way back in.  
Honestly, if you go in with lowered expectations, you might enjoy them all.  I don't think the prequels are as bad as everyone says.  I enjoy them.  They're just different.  And very CGI heavy.  That's my biggest complaint with them.  But the stories are good, IMO.

Also, the newest ones (Ep.7 and 8 ) have been amazing!  I loved them.  Thought they were as good, if not better than the originals.  And Rogue One is possibly my favorite out of them all.  

If you're looking for a way back in, I'd say just watch them all.  It's not like it would take a month or longer.  2 hour movies get knocked out pretty quick.  

Honestly, if you go in with lowered expectations, you might enjoy them all.  I don't think the prequels are as bad as everyone says.  I enjoy them.  They're just different.  And very CGI heavy.  That's my biggest complaint with them.  But the stories are good, IMO.

Also, the newest ones (Ep.7 and 8 ) have been amazing!  I loved them.  Thought they were as good, if not better than the originals.  And Rogue One is possibly my favorite out of them all.  

If you're looking for a way back in, I'd say just watch them all.  It's not like it would take a month or longer.  2 hour movies get knocked out pretty quick.  
:lol:  I tried that.  Not a chance.  

I think multiple people hired multiple bounty hunters. Lots of people wanted baby yoda imo 
Also, Nolte implied that there had been a lot of bounty hunters coming through before Mando showed up. Likely lots of interest from competing factions.

One question I have is whether the people who had Yodinho had kidnapped him or were protecting him. Was I cheering for Mando and IG-11 to kill a bunch of good guys? :oldunsure:

Also, Nolte implied that there had been a lot of bounty hunters coming through before Mando showed up. Likely lots of interest from competing factions.

One question I have is whether the people who had Yodinho had kidnapped him or were protecting him. Was I cheering for Mando and IG-11 to kill a bunch of good guys? :oldunsure:
I like the ambiguity.  Much like real life.  

Third the recommendation for Major to try Rogue One.  The best of the new bunch, and it has the bonus of being a one-off.  It will also set him up for the upcoming TV show that is a prequel to that as well...

Third the recommendation for Major to try Rogue One.  The best of the new bunch, and it has the bonus of being a one-off.  It will also set him up for the upcoming TV show that is a prequel to that as well...
Why do you have to be such a killjoy!!

Oh, wait...never mind.

Big League Chew said:
My coworker is a professional storm trooper. He gave it two thumbs up FYI 
You sure he didn't mean to give something else two thumbs up, missed, and gave this two thumbs up instead?

TheIronSheik said:
But as I said before, his wording was weird.  He said something to the effect that they were all seeing the same bounty.  I don't remember exactly but it was something like, "You saw what the bounty said:  We have to kill him."
I realize that, but Mando never saw a bounty. He was verbally told what the bounty was. IG11 it seems had something to read which is why I assumed there were two different bounties

Am I the only person who was disturbed by the premeditated slaughter of Jawas?
I don't recall this scene.  I thought the first time it was shown that they died was when The Mandalorian saw them stripping his ship bare.
He tracked down their camp and started shooting nonthreatening Jawas indiscriminately.
It was a startling moment for a show that advertises itself as being appropriate for kids.

(And I get that the Mandalorian is supposed to be some kind of immoral mercenary who will do whatever it takes to accomplish his task, yada yada yoda. But it was just a bit disturbing to see that kind of killing in the SW universe. I can't recall another incident in which a main character*  committed what essentially amounts to an act of murder, and then gets away with it. I guess it happened in Rogue One, but those guys didn't really get away with it because they all eventually died.)

*hero/protagonist/good guy/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
He tracked down their camp and started shooting nonthreatening Jawas indiscriminately.

It was a startling moment for a show that advertises itself as being appropriate for kids.

(And I get that the Mandalorian is supposed to be some kind of immoral mercenary who will do whatever it takes to accomplish his task, yada yada yoda. But it was just a bit disturbing to see that kind of killing in the SW universe. I can't recall another incident in which a main character committed what essentially amounts to an act of murder, and then gets away with it. I guess it happened in Rogue One, but those guys didn't really get away with it because they all eventually died.)
Han shot Greedo.

They destroyed his ship and he needed his stuff back.  Jawas are the Star Wars equivalent of rats.  Things and people get shot in Star Wars.  It's perfectly fine for kids.  

(And I get that the Mandalorian is supposed to be some kind of immoral mercenary who will do whatever it takes to accomplish his task, yada yada yoda. But it was just a bit disturbing to see that kind of killing in the SW universe. I can't recall another incident in which a main character committed what essentially amounts to an act of murder, and then gets away with it. I guess it happened in Rogue One, but those guys didn't really get away with it because they all eventually died.)
What episode were you watching? The Jawa's had ripped his ship apart and were stealing his only way off the planet.

Maybe the force was with them and they will live for eternity among the other Jawas.

(And next time maybe they won't strip a Mandalorian's ship...)

Not sure exactly what you mean by "gets away with it," but I feel that might be an important qualification of your claim. Bad guys in SW do a lot of murdering. Probably the most disturbing scene in all of SW so far is Anakin and the younglings. Not sure if you'd say whether he got away with that or not. And the clones/stormtroopers turned on all of the Jedi with a goal of extinction, with only a few ultimately surviving. Entire planets were blown up by the Death Star. Death Vader chokes multiple people to death and just leaves the body laying there. Again, maybe you don't consider any of these as them getting away with it.

To be fair, we don't know what Mando will and won't get away with because we're only a couple episodes in. And, I like the earlier comment about the ambiguity of whether Mando is a good guy or a bad guy. Seeing him waste some Jawas is unsettling if you view him as a good guy. If he's a bad guy, then par for the course. I think we all assume he's on a good-guy track and will ultimately end up being good, but who knows at this point?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "gets away with it," but I feel that might be an important qualification of your claim. Bad guys in SW do a lot of murdering. Probably the most disturbing scene in all of SW so far is Anakin and the younglings. Not sure if you'd say whether he got away with that or not. And the clones/stormtroopers turned on all of the Jedi with a goal of extinction, with only a few ultimately surviving. Entire planets were blown up by the Death Star. Death Vader chokes multiple people to death and just leaves the body laying there. Again, maybe you don't consider any of these as them getting away with it.

To be fair, we don't know what Mando will and won't get away with because we're only a couple episodes in. And, I like the earlier comment about the ambiguity of whether Mando is a good guy or a bad guy. Seeing him waste some Jawas is unsettling if you view him as a good guy. If he's a bad guy, then par for the course. I think we all assume he's on a good-guy track and will ultimately end up being good, but who knows at this point?
Exactly.  I'm not sure how "murder" in the SW universe is all of a sudden shocking. :shrug:

Is this like some kind of performance art or something 

Han shot Greedo.

They destroyed his ship and he needed his stuff back.  Jawas are the Star Wars equivalent of rats.  Things and people get shot in Star Wars.  It's perfectly fine for kids.  
Right. Han shot Greedo because Greedo was pointing a weapon at him and had threatened to kill him. The killing was justified.

But the Mandolorian shot Jawas who were not threatening him, and who (as far as we know) had never threatened to kill him. That's a new precedent in the SW universe.

One of the unwritten codes in the SW universe -- and really it's one of the unwritten rules of modern fiction -- is that you can't glorify murder or else you're gonna lose the audience.

In fact, the old Hays Code specifically addressed this ("If someone performed an immoral act, they had to be punished on screen").

Obviously, no one is expected to follow that code today. But the principles of the code have a basis in reality: audiences don't like it when perceived good guys do bad things. It's a turnoff.

And George Lucas inherently understood this, which is why he never had any of this good guys commit acts of evil. They only killed killers (or people who actively supported killers). That's why he changed "Han shoots first" -- because he was disturbed by the idea of one of the heroes of his story committing murder.

To me, it's a little sad to see Star Wars lowering the bar and delving into a territory that it had strived to avoid for the past 42 years.

Right. Han shot Greedo because Greedo was pointing a weapon at him and had threatened to kill him. The killing was justified.

But the Mandolorian shot Jawas who were not threatening him, and who (as far as we know) had never threatened to kill him. That's a new precedent in the SW universe.

One of the unwritten codes in the SW universe -- and really it's one of the unwritten rules of modern fiction -- is that you can't glorify murder or else you're gonna lose the audience.

In fact, the old Hays Code specifically addressed this ("If someone performed an immoral act, they had to be punished on screen").

Obviously, no one is expected to follow that code today. But the principles of the code have a basis in reality: audiences don't like it when perceived good guys do bad things. It's a turnoff.

And George Lucas inherently understood this, which is why he never had any of this good guys commit acts of evil. They only killed killers (or people who actively supported killers). That's why he changed "Han shoots first" -- because he was disturbed by the idea of one of the heroes of his story committing murder.

To me, it's a little sad to see Star Wars lowering the bar and delving into a territory that it had strived to avoid for the past 42 years.
1. They were ripping his ship apart.  No ship = death.
2. There are many examples where people kill in Star Wars.  

True story I got ripped off by a Jawa once at Hollywood studios. He wanted some trinket we had (can’t remember what it was but it was like a 10 dollar item). He kept following me around asking for it so I said ok let’s do a trade. I handed it over to him and he gave me a piece of literal garbage and ran off. 

I hope that was one of his cousins who got wasted in episode 2. 

I would also say: We're not exactly sure if Mando (I like that) is a good guy, a bad guy, or chaotic neutral at this point.  For the love of God, he hasn't even taken his helmet off yet!!!!!!!!11

audiences don't like it when perceived good guys do bad things.
Why do you perceive him as a good guy? He's a bounty hunter. He's killed people for money. I predict the story will take him down a path of becoming a good guy, but I don't think he's currently a good guy. I think turning over a baby to bad guys is where he'll draw the line and he'll experience a transformation.

Why do you perceive him as a good guy? He's a bounty hunter. He's killed people for money. I predict the story will take him down a path of becoming a good guy, but I don't think he's currently a good guy. I think turning over a baby to bad guys is where he'll draw the line and he'll experience a transformation.
Yup.  This may be his story of redemption.  

But even if it's not...

THE JAWAS WERE STEALING HIS SHIP!

It wasn't premeditated.  He walked up on his ship, saw the Jawas ransacking it, and started picking them off.  I'm not sure I understand why that makes him a bad guy?

True story I got ripped off by a Jawa once at Hollywood studios. He wanted some trinket we had (can’t remember what it was but it was like a 10 dollar item). He kept following me around asking for it so I said ok let’s do a trade. I handed it over to him and he gave me a piece of literal garbage and ran off. 

I hope that was one of his cousins who got wasted in episode 2. 
I forgot. A year or so later I went there with the intent to rip they little ******* off and get my revenge. A Disney employee was standing there. Now Disney employees can’t come out and tell you things in the King’s English — everything has to be “on stage” and Disneyfied so you are in the moment or whatever. 

Anyhow I got her to break and she whispered to me that the Jawas went away because they ripped people off and those losers went to customer service and complained. Can you even imagine sucking that much? 

Multiple times, Luke says "there is good in" Darth Vader. While I agree that SW has a mostly simplistic good vs bad story line, there are a few gray areas.

When I said "main character", I was referring to one of the good guys/protagonists. But in a way it applies to everyone in the SW universe. Almost every character who commits murder has eventually suffered a corresponding consequence. (Jury's still out on Kylo Ren and others in the new trilogy, of course.)

Anakin killed younglings and gets burned up. (Plus, you could argue that he wasn't fully in control of his actions, as the Emperor was using the Force to influence him.) Tarkin blew up a planet and then got killed himself. When Stormtroopers kill good guys, the audience expects and roots for some kind of retaliation, even if not every last Stormtrooper is punished. That's part of the deal. If someone commits murder, then the audience wants to see (at least on a subconscious level) an attempt to make the killer pay for his actions.

As for Vader, in the original trilogy he only kills rebels and inept coworkers. The former is justified as per the rules of war, and the latter is justified as part of any Imperial officer's job description. You know what you're getting into. Vader never killed anyone who was truly innocent. (Obviously, that changed in the prequels. But Lucas at least showed consequences for those acts.)

did vader really even commit any crimes 
I'm just so sick of people jumping on the "Vader is bad" bandwagon.  No one ever talks about all the good he did.  Guy is unifying the galaxy, creating millions of jobs for the people in it, and all we ever hear about is how he's killing rebels.  NEWS FLASH!  They call them "rebels" for a reason.  

Multiple times, Luke says "there is good in" Darth Vader. While I agree that SW has a mostly simplistic good vs bad story line, there are a few gray areas.
This illustrates one of the errors of the new movies, IMO.

In the original trilogy, Vader's killings can be justified because none of his victims are 100% innocent. That's why audiences were able to accept his eventual redemption.

But then the prequels come along, and suddenly we've got Anakin killing baby sandpeople. Now it becomes a little harder for audiences to accept his redemption.

THEN, we get Kylo Ren ordering the murders of innocent villagers, not to mention the cold-hearted murder of his own father. It will be interesting to see if audiences will be as willing accept the redemption of Kylo (if that happens).

are you saying Dog the bounty hunter is not a good guy :rant:

Users who are viewing this thread