What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (3 Viewers)

Favreau is a huge Madalorian nerd.  He probably knows more about their history than any other person alive.  I think people who are doubting his storytelling after 5 episodes might be rushing to conclusions.  

Favreau is a huge Madalorian nerd.  He probably knows more about their history than any other person alive.  I think people who are doubting his storytelling after 5 episodes might be rushing to conclusions.  
I will start off by saying that I agree with you that we are early into this endeavor - both for the show and the D+ platform, so jumping to conclusions is not the best thing to do.  

That said, what gives me pause is that Disney has shown over the last few years, especially when it comes to Star Wars, that they don't seem to be too willing to take chances and seem pretty quick to give the axe to whoever doesn't step in line.  Just in the last 2-3 movies they have shuffled directors a few times, done rewrites, etc..  SO - Favreau could be the biggest Mandalorian nerd, but that doesn't mean he will be able to execute the story like he wants to.   Because I liked it the least of the Star Wars movies, I still wonder how much better Lord and Miller's Solo movie would have been.  

What I am interested in seeing is if they are willing to take a few more risks with the streaming channel since it's a different formula of  having that built in base of subscribers vs. having to calculate how many tix you need to sell for a movie.   One "risky" show is not going to make or break D+, but risks could make a movie non profitable in a big hurry.  

I will start off by saying that I agree with you that we are early into this endeavor - both for the show and the D+ platform, so jumping to conclusions is not the best thing to do.  

That said, what gives me pause is that Disney has shown over the last few years, especially when it comes to Star Wars, that they don't seem to be too willing to take chances and seem pretty quick to give the axe to whoever doesn't step in line.  Just in the last 2-3 movies they have shuffled directors a few times, done rewrites, etc..  SO - Favreau could be the biggest Mandalorian nerd, but that doesn't mean he will be able to execute the story like he wants to.   Because I liked it the least of the Star Wars movies, I still wonder how much better Lord and Miller's Solo movie would have been.  

What I am interested in seeing is if they are willing to take a few more risks with the streaming channel since it's a different formula of  having that built in base of subscribers vs. having to calculate how many tix you need to sell for a movie.   One "risky" show is not going to make or break D+, but risks could make a movie non profitable in a big hurry.  
I think the picture you're missing is that the majority of people are enjoying SW and all of the shows and movies.  You can't please everyone.  But as long as you're pleasing a huge majority, they will not be taking "chances" on anything.  

Besides the time he got his ### handed to him by some Jawas ? ;)
The Jawas have been one of my favorite parts of the series so far. If Ewoks can best crack jungle stormtroopers, why not Jawas finding a way to dislodge a Mandalorian their home turf (er, crawler)?

On any given Sunday...

I think the picture you're missing is that the majority of people are enjoying SW and all of the shows and movies.  You can't please everyone.  But as long as you're pleasing a huge majority, they will not be taking "chances" on anything.  
Making money is not the same though.    I am unfairly comparing Star Wars to Marvel, and I will admit that.  But Marvel has shown how to do this correctly, IMO.   Take some chances, have a plan, tie things together.   From what I read and talk to people about, I think the last handful of Star Wars movies are way more polarizing than the Marvel movies ever were.    I am sure it's different business and the fact that they had to shell out billions for this is driving a bit of those decision.    Besides Rogue One, I have been disappointed in everything that has come from this universe for the last 20 years (movie-wise).   Still ok movies, but I never thought I would see the day that I would choose a comic book movie over a Star Wars movie, or that my son would.     Apply these concerns from Disney that I have to the upcoming Marvel shows that they are in control of.   Time will tell, but don't like the recent track record.  

Making money is not the same though.    I am unfairly comparing Star Wars to Marvel, and I will admit that.  But Marvel has shown how to do this correctly, IMO.   Take some chances, have a plan, tie things together.   From what I read and talk to people about, I think the last handful of Star Wars movies are way more polarizing than the Marvel movies ever were.    I am sure it's different business and the fact that they had to shell out billions for this is driving a bit of those decision.    Besides Rogue One, I have been disappointed in everything that has come from this universe for the last 20 years (movie-wise).   Still ok movies, but I never thought I would see the day that I would choose a comic book movie over a Star Wars movie, or that my son would.     Apply these concerns from Disney that I have to the upcoming Marvel shows that they are in control of.   Time will tell, but don't like the recent track record.  
Again, you are in the minority, GB.  These movies are loved by the younger generation and are killing it at the box office.  They couldn't care less if 45 year old men didn't think they were as good as the 1970's originals.  They moved on.  

Wait, you are disappointed in something you watched and kept going back to see the next one only to be disappointed again? I'm just shocked at this turn of events. 

There's a button on the remote somewhere that changes the channel. It's not that hard. Or I guess you could just keep watching to have something to complain about. It's your call. 
There's also a handy "ignore" button.  Feel free to use it if this is going to be your only interaction with me.  

Wait, you are disappointed in something you watched and kept going back to see the next one only to be disappointed again? I'm just shocked at this turn of events. 
Yet again, I love the universe, this is what I grew up on and I liked watching with my son.  So when there is different directors and story lines, I yeah - I will give it a shot.   Disappointed in that I wish I thought they were great, and I think they could be, but besides Solo I have liked them enough to watch them again.  Not sure why this is so hard.  

There's also a handy "ignore" button.  Feel free to use it if this is going to be your only interaction with me.  

Yet again, I love the universe, this is what I grew up on and I liked watching with my son.  So when there is different directors and story lines, I yeah - I will give it a shot.   Disappointed in that I wish I thought they were great, and I think they could be, but besides Solo I have liked them enough to watch them again.  Not sure why this is so hard.  
Just noticing a pattern. Do you think if Spielberg were directing Lawrence Olivier and the shows/movies were written by GRRM himself you might like them, or would you still find something, and a lot of somethings, to complain about? I know what I would guess...

:D

Just noticing a pattern. Do you think if Spielberg were directing Lawrence Olivier and the shows/movies were written by GRRM himself you might like them, or would you still find something, and a lot of somethings, to complain about? I know what I would guess...

:D
More like continue to comment about something that is probably based on the GOT thread and this thread.  Neither show I hate (one I thought was epic for about 5 seasons), but come in to discuss - I guess sorry for that?    There are shows I don't like that I don't post in or stopped - Stranger Things, The Boys, etc..   There are shows that I love that I posted about - The Expanse, Atypical, The Leftovers, etc (of course only one of those had it's only thread I think?)..    Plenty of movies, music, and books I love and post about.    Just odd that this is your back and forth with me.  

More like continue to comment about something that is probably based on the GOT thread and this thread.  Neither show I hate (one I thought was epic for about 5 seasons), but come in to discuss - I guess sorry for that?    There are shows I don't like that I don't post in or stopped - Stranger Things, The Boys, etc..   There are shows that I love that I posted about - The Expanse, Atypical, The Leftovers, etc (of course only one of those had it's only thread I think?)..    Plenty of movies, music, and books I love and post about.    Just odd that this is your back and forth with me.  
Just bustin' balls, my friend. No harm intended. 

Saw an interview few days back where favreau said it's a serial. Meaning they might not be any one overall plot/goal.

My 13 yr old son loves this show and especially last week's. I guess I'm watching it along his lines because I was ten when the first star wars came out. And as I said after the first episode, it reminds me a lot of the first one. That is why I'm enjoying it and not really critiquing it.

Again, you are in the minority, GB.  These movies are loved by the younger generation and are killing it at the box office.  They couldn't care less if 45 year old men didn't think they were as good as the 1970's originals.  They moved on.  
Disagree. TFA was loved but TLJ has left even the younger generation pretty meh. My kids are 8. I took them to TLJ in the theater. They said they liked it but haven't watched it since and haven't asked me about going to see the new movie despite all the ads. My daughter likes the idea of Rey but prefers Leia more (not sure why, maybe the attitude). My son likes Kylo the most but doesn't really care about what happens. 

Plus you hear the actors like Hamill and Boyega talking about how disappointed they were in the way they went with the script and it's kind of like these warning signs of what's coning. While the die hards that like anything with a Star Wars label will be there I don't think this new movie is going to get the repeat viewers even TLJ had. 

Disagree. TFA was loved but TLJ has left even the younger generation pretty meh. My kids are 8. I took them to TLJ in the theater. They said they liked it but haven't watched it since and haven't asked me about going to see the new movie despite all the ads. My daughter likes the idea of Rey but prefers Leia more (not sure why, maybe the attitude). My son likes Kylo the most but doesn't really care about what happens. 

Plus you hear the actors like Hamill and Boyega talking about how disappointed they were in the way they went with the script and it's kind of like these warning signs of what's coning. While the die hards that like anything with a Star Wars label will be there I don't think this new movie is going to get the repeat viewers even TLJ had. 
I’ll match your anecdotal evidence with mine. My 8-year-old nephew loves TLJ and watches it weekly. 

I’ll match your anecdotal evidence with mine. My 8-year-old nephew loves TLJ and watches it weekly. 
:shrug:

The predictions have come down a lot from what they were for the movie. I think there's more that didn't like TLJ than you're willing to admit. 

Box Office Predictions for Episode 9

Estimated between $175-210m so far for opening weekend. TFA was predicted over $225m and TLJ predicted over $215. TFA hit $247m and TLJ hit $220m. So these predictions are pretty underwhelming for Star Wars.

Why do you think there is a "main plot"?   Why do people think these are "filler" episodes?

It seems like they have created the A-Team in outer space.   A lot of overthinking happening here.  
You took the words out of my mouth. I am enjoying this show the same way I enjoyed the A-Team. It's just fun bull ####.

You took the words out of my mouth. I am enjoying this show the same way I enjoyed the A-Team. It's just fun bull ####.
It must have been while he was kissing you.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started watching, and had this internal thought process:

- Hey, cool. Brian Posehn is in this show.

- Welp, nvm

Anyone else familiar with Richard Ayoade? He’s the voice of Zero in episode 6. If this episode wasn’t awesome enough without him, this puts it over the top. Big fan of his work from IT Crowd to Travel Man. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Burr? 

:lmao:   Nothing against his casting or performance, it just cracked me up when I first saw him.  l/spoiler]

Bill Burr? 

:lmao:   Nothing against his casting or performance, it just cracked me up when I first saw him.  l/spoiler]
I thought that was the guy who played the pimp in Risky Business at first until realizing he would be like 70 now. :bag:

This one-liner almost slipped past unnoticed by me, and didn’t get enough love in the thread to follow.

Brilliant, sir.  I salute you.
Wish I could take credit, but I totally stole this from the internet.

:P

Pretty good episode. I like the plot of it. Starting to get old that Mando is being dumb with all these shady people though. 

Use my ship? Ok I guess. Find out I have a baby Yoda? Ok I guess. Let a Droid play my messages and have access to my whole ship? Ok I guess. Get kicked into a cell after rescuing the target? Ok I guess. 

Glad he kicked their asses at the end but it was stretching a bit that he allowed all of that to happen. 

Pretty good episode. I like the plot of it. Starting to get old that Mando is being dumb with all these shady people though. 

Use my ship? Ok I guess. Find out I have a baby Yoda? Ok I guess. Let a Droid play my messages and have access to my whole ship? Ok I guess. Get kicked into a cell after rescuing the target? Ok I guess. 

Glad he kicked their asses at the end but it was stretching a bit that he allowed all of that to happen. 
He would be so dead already without that armor. 

My wife and daughter have our Amazon cart full of baby yoda merchandise and not a single one is available until May.

I assume they wanted to hold the secret for so long that they did not give any information to the manufactures until baby yoda showed up on screen.

My wife and daughter have our Amazon cart full of baby yoda merchandise and not a single one is available until May.

I assume they wanted to hold the secret for so long that they did not give any information to the manufactures until baby yoda showed up on screen.
Yes that's it. It's not that they totally underestimated the popularity of the show and baby Yoda and suddenly were left scrambling to make as many as possible as quickly as possible. Lord knows they don't want to capitalize on the popularity of a current show in time for the holidays. They'd rather wait 6 months to get it out there when they don't have new episodes for another 3-4 months after that. 

A long sarcastic way of saying they dun ####ed it up. 

Yes that's it. It's not that they totally underestimated the popularity of the show and baby Yoda and suddenly were left scrambling to make as many as possible as quickly as possible. Lord knows they don't want to capitalize on the popularity of a current show in time for the holidays. They'd rather wait 6 months to get it out there when they don't have new episodes for another 3-4 months after that. 

A long sarcastic way of saying they dun ####ed it up. 
here is what Favreau said about it (obviously you don't believe him, but it makes some sense to me).

"I think that part of what people really value is to be surprised and delighted, and I think that's becoming all too rare. It's very difficult to keep secrets about projects you're working on," Favreau told The Hollywood Reporter. "By holding back on that one product, we knew that we may have had the disadvantage of not having toys available day and date, but what we got in exchange was an excitement surrounding the character, because everybody felt like they discovered him together. That emulated more what my experience growing up was like."

Users who are viewing this thread