What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (2 Viewers)

Hi, time for my island. Except for the Joker scenes those Batman movies sucked. 
The first one is arguably one of the best superhero movies ever.  I watched it on a plane recently and was enthralled.  The second one has not held up and the third one was and remains a mess.  So I mostly agree with you.  

I really liked the show — good but could have been great. 

I think I would have liked to have seen a few episodes that were just him hunting a new target each one. Then end the season with what were essentially the first three episodes this season — him giving up the life we just watched. The middle episodes this year I could never figure out what he was doing — seeking money?  Refuge?  Just walking the earth?  Felt like filler. Had the first 4-5 episodes just been him hunting different types of targets on different worlds, we still could have met his friends and would have got more character development and seen how great of a bounty hunter he really was. Then the “turn” to save The Child would have been more powerful. 

Osaurus said:
Anyone else notice of the one Scouts (baby Yoda puncher) is Jason Sudeikis?
They should do a spin-off "A Stormtrooper's Life" with Sudeikis and Pally.  Sitcom about their daily lives.  Hanging out.  Dealing with the bureaucracy.  Show them bowling but always throwing gutter balls.

Why did the humor by the speeder bike guys work for everyone but Poes anyone there humor in 8 not?

I enjoyed both FWIW
Setting and context mainly.  Two grunts killing time on a routine mission to yet another dirtball world, resorting to some gallows humor to avoid dwelling on the fact that they are, in fact, grunts that could die at any moment at the hands of their own as easily as the enemy...that rings “true” as the sort of thing  jaded veterans might do.

Cracking the same jokes while closing in on an enemy position, as the first shots of a campaign are being fired...not so plausible.  The First Order should have been preparing (prepared?) to blow the resistance out of the sky at the point when Poe shows up, and the humor feels forced and out of place.  On top of being exceedingly unlikely to have produced the desired delaying effect in a realistic setting.

My $0.02 anyway.  Others will no doubt have their own ideas.  Humor is a subtle thing, and often subjective.

When the Darksaber appeared, that was on par with Darth Vader telling Luke he was his father to me.  Like mouth dropped wide open.  

Is Moff Fring a Mandolorian as well?  So many questions.  

And I can't believe both Quill and IG-11 died.  IG was awesome.  

What's the background on this dark sabre you guys are so pumped about?
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

There was a Mandalorian that was also a Jedi.  His name was Tarre Vizla.  This was kind of a big deal because Jedi and Mandalorians were pretty much enemies.  In fact, much of the Mandalorian weaponry and gadgets were designed so they could counter the Jedi's powers.  Anyway, he created his lightsaber and it was the Darksaber.  Many years after his death, the Darksaber became a symbol of the ruler of Mandalore.  Whoever wielded it was the rightful ruler of the Mandalorians.  

Now, I'm only a medium SW nerd, so I might be missing some details.  But this is kind of the basics.  

So technically, Moff Giddeon would be the ruler of Mandalore.  Of course, this doesn't mean that no one will challenge you.  It's not like King Arthur where whoever has it is the King and no one challenges his rule.  

The Darksaber is the most prized possession of the Mandalorians, along with Beskar.  But I would say that as big a deal Beskar is, the Darksaber is a hundred times more so.  

There was a Mandalorian that was also a Jedi.  His name was Tarre Vizla.  This was kind of a big deal because Jedi and Mandalorians were pretty much enemies.  In fact, much of the Mandalorian weaponry and gadgets were designed so they could counter the Jedi's powers.  Anyway, he created his lightsaber and it was the Darksaber.  Many years after his death, the Darksaber became a symbol of the ruler of Mandalore.  Whoever wielded it was the rightful ruler of the Mandalorians.  

Now, I'm only a medium SW nerd, so I might be missing some details.  But this is kind of the basics.  

So technically, Moff Giddeon would be the ruler of Mandalore.  Of course, this doesn't mean that no one will challenge you.  It's not like King Arthur where whoever has it is the King and no one challenges his rule.  

The Darksaber is the most prized possession of the Mandalorians, along with Beskar.  But I would say that as big a deal Beskar is, the Darksaber is a hundred times more so.  
 Thanks. 

I finished the season. It was great. Agreed they should give control of the movies to Favreau & co.  After the disaster that was TLJ, this was just what the doctor ordered. 

I loved the old school references that they didn't bludgeon you over the head with.  Well,  everything except that storm trooper transport vehicle. That unlocked a painful memory of wanting a tie fighter or x- wing,  only to be kicked in the nuts when the gift turned out to be a pos troop transport.  

And I agree with another poster a few pages back.  Mando is a bit of a dunce sometimes. I guess you gotta get into predicaments before you can get out of them. 

I finished the season. It was great. Agreed they should give control of the movies to Favreau & co.  After the disaster that was TLJ, this was just what the doctor ordered. 

I loved the old school references that they didn't bludgeon you over the head with.  Well,  everything except that storm trooper transport vehicle. That unlocked a painful memory of wanting a tie fighter or x- wing,  only to be kicked in the nuts when the gift turned out to be a pos troop transport.  

And I agree with another poster a few pages back.  Mando is a bit of a dunce sometimes. I guess you gotta get into predicaments before you can get out of them. 
That transport had kick ### sounds effects man!

The only thing I'll add is the Mandalorians stole it out of the Jedi Temple during one of their conflicts.

I"m interested to see how Giddeon got it.  Maul had it when he was defeated by Sidious.  Then somehow it ends up on Dathomir (IIRC) when Sabine finds it.

Ended stronger than it started so that's a good sign. From the comments here I'm obviously the outlier with my take. Started really slow. Didn't make me care much about the main character. A little more I guess after he finally removed his helmet. Looking forward to season 2. I'm guessing the Marvel serieses will be more engaging as they are starting with already relatable characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended stronger than it started so that's a good sign. From the comments here I'm obviously the outlier with my take. Started really slow. Didn't make me care much about the main character. A little more I guess after he finally removed his helmet. Looking forward to season 2. I'm guessing the Marvel serieses will be more engaging as they are starting with already relatable characters.
I find this so weird.  Maybe it's me just not connecting with humans as a whole, but I don't get this.

The only thing I'll add is the Mandalorians stole it out of the Jedi Temple during one of their conflicts.

I"m interested to see how Giddeon got it.  Maul had it when he was defeated by Sidious.  Then somehow it ends up on Dathomir (IIRC) when Sabine finds it.
Giddeon was there when the Imperials raided Mandalore, which scattered the Mandos. He must've taken it then. 

KarmaPolice said:
Is he an utter badass, or does he just have basass armor?
If all you see is a guy with badass armor, you should try maybe focusing more on the screen rather than the ceiling from the incessant eye rolling that happens whenever you look at a display device. But, but, but, there are three or four shows you feel are not beneath you so that proves you don't dog every single thing you ever watch. Those 3 or 4 shows are the exceptions that prove the rule. Time to change the channel if all you see is a set of armor. Go hate watch something else. I only have time for 3 or 4 shows a year. This is one of them. I'd like to enjoy the discussion and not have to deal with the people torturing themselves watching a show they can't stand and then dogging everyone who is enjoying it. 

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Baby yoda’s force meter was depleted from defeating the fire stormtrooper. 
And without that deft little move of film making, the helmet thing loses it's punch. 

Binge watched this

Didn't like the serial nature of each episode until the end.

Every episode it seemed he was backstabbed. 

Kind of hard to carry a series when you can't see the main character's face. 

Baby Yoda was cute and the droid was cool.

Overall I'd say b level show with great effects and action. Not really rewatchable.

C+.

Terrible dialogue and the serial episodes cause rushed pacing. The episode helping the villagers was the worst.

If it continues as 8 episodes for 30-45 minutes each I can stick around. Not too much of a time sink.

If all you see is a guy with badass armor, you should try maybe focusing more on the screen rather than the ceiling from the incessant eye rolling that happens whenever you look at a display device. But, but, but, there are three or four shows you feel are not beneath you so that proves you don't dog every single thing you ever watch. Those 3 or 4 shows are the exceptions that prove the rule. Time to change the channel if all you see is a set of armor. Go hate watch something else. I only have time for 3 or 4 shows a year. This is one of them. I'd like to enjoy the discussion and not have to deal with the people torturing themselves watching a show they can't stand and then dogging everyone who is enjoying it. 
Wow, sorry for asking a question.  

Binge watched this

Didn't like the serial nature of each episode until the end.

Every episode it seemed he was backstabbed. 

Kind of hard to carry a series when you can't see the main character's face. 

Baby Yoda was cute and the droid was cool.

Overall I'd say b level show with great effects and action. Not really rewatchable.
Watched it three times already (last episode only twice - so far)

:bag:

Just a fun show.

On my first watch, just finished Ep 3. I hardly know a thing about SW worldbuilding outside of theatrical releases.

Baby Yoda is great and all and obv would take a blaster to the chest for them, but the Mandalorian religion is the best damn thing about this show.

TheIronSheik said:
We've seen what he can do.  So I'd say both.  I don't think there are many Mandalorians who wouldn't be considered badasses. 
The son and I haven't gotten to the last couple episodes, but we were talking about this and thought it was interesting that he wasn't some ultra badass that destroys everyone in site.  Seems like every episode he took some lumps and struggled.  Hence my question (again, I am sure more happens in the last 2).  

The son and I haven't gotten to the last couple episodes, but we were talking about this and thought it was interesting that he wasn't some ultra badass that destroys everyone in site.  Seems like every episode he took some lumps and struggled.  Hence my question (again, I am sure more happens in the last 2).  
I mean, he's not Superman.  He's simply just a person who has been trained as a warrior his whole life.  Leonidas was a badass fighter who also got killed at the end.  These guys aren't superheroes.  They're just very good at fighting.  

I mean, he's not Superman.  He's simply just a person who has been trained as a warrior his whole life.  Leonidas was a badass fighter who also got killed at the end.  These guys aren't superheroes.  They're just very good at fighting.  
And that for sure makes it more interesting.  I guess when I read "utter badass" my mind goes more to my description of mowing through everyone Taken style.  We just didn't quite get that from this character.  

Users who are viewing this thread