Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Psychopav said:

One episode a week has people talking all week. I enjoy it. 

  Hide contents

I think the ending scene is awesome.  It almost has to be boba fett, doesn't it? Otherwise, we need to know what happened to him and find out what a retired clone is doing on Tatooine. Did Clone Wars ever bring clones to Tatooine?

In the expanded universe,  Fett's armor saved him and he killed and escaped the Sarlacc Pit. I think Dengar may have helped. Seems a plausible way to do it in the series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still can't believe the guy from Swingers has made my favorite Christmas movie....develop/built my 2d favorite movie franchise.... and saved my favorite franchise... Favreau is so money and he

Also the Lady Expendables were awesome. Because they were just awesome. They didn't tell us they were awesome. They didn't have other people go "wow look how awesome they are". They were all individua

Mark Hamill @HamillHimself The fact that we were able to keep my involvement a secret for over a year with no leaks is nothing less than a miracle. A real triumph for spoiler-haters everywhe

5 minutes ago, Deranged Hermit said:

 

  Hide contents

In the expanded universe,  Fett's armor saved him and he killed and escaped the Sarlacc Pit. I think Dengar may have helped. Seems a plausible way to do it in the series.

 

It was Dengar. Hopefully he shows up in a small role here. What they did in the "new" comics to him is atrocious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Killer first episode :thumbup:

So, my wife isn't a Star Wars devote. Yes, I still love her. The great thing about this series is that she doesn't need to know the, "Lore." She's seen all the theatrical releases, most more than once. This show is the only time I don't mind if I have to pause so I can explain the tie-ins.

Gotta say, thought the end was cool. This is the kind of stuff Filoni does. Tells great stories with some nibbles, all the while making you want to get more answers.

:banned:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 12:35 AM, Capella said:

The only part I’m not sure I loved. I thought by bringing back the suit and having the Marshall do all the Fett tricks, that was their way of nodding to the fans, while he was still dead.
 

I’m not sure what purpose the character actually brings to the show as a whole? It’ll be cool to find out but I’m way more excited for Ashoka to show up. 

He didn't die in the EU books. Even disney's comics brought him back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

not thrilled so far.  and i hate to say it.  

first a quasi dune rip off.  then a straight up aliens ripoff.  what's next?  the borg?  predator?

Wow.  The dune rip off, as you call it, was my second favorite episode so far.  And this episode, we got x-wings again, and Baby Yoda eating those eggs were gold.

I'm loving the season so far!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 8:37 PM, Foosball God said:

I was a bit disappointed in that one.  A bit too much "To be continued" about it.

I do wish they’d advance the plot a little bit more but damn these two episodes have been fun. I think they went for plot advancement the last 4 eps of last season so maybe we’ll see the same again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My son told me this was a "filler" episode before I watched it last night and I tend to agree.  I also discussed a few things with him.  My entire Star Wars world is based on the movies.  While he's seen the movies, the main focus of his worldview is from Rebels.

 

1. I am so ignorant as to the timeline issues, I actually thought "Baby Yoda" was actually Yoda, as a child.  When my son told me the character at the end of Ep. 1 was likely Boba, I had to re-think that.  The time frame of this series is still confusing me, but for him it totally makes sense because he's grounded in Rebels.

2.  The one thing that jumped out at me in this episode is that the group that attacked Mando's speeder at the beginning was clearly making a play for baby Yoda.  They knew something from someone.

3.  I was confused when Mando said, "may the force be with you."  He's shown total ignorance to what the force is (something like, "His species can move objects with their mind!")  But, given the timeframe and the X-wings last night, obviously the concept of the Force is well known in the universe at this time, and one would assume he is aware of the Jedi.  Yet he and the Mando armorer in Season 1 were totally ignorant.  Maybe this is just a matter of - its a big universe and the things we know about Luke, Vadar, Yoda, the council, etc. are not known by everyone?  How could the Mandalorians not know the story of Jango and Boba?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

My son told me this was a "filler" episode before I watched it last night and I tend to agree.  I also discussed a few things with him.  My entire Star Wars world is based on the movies.  While he's seen the movies, the main focus of his worldview is from Rebels.

 

  Hide contents

 

1. I am so ignorant as to the timeline issues, I actually thought "Baby Yoda" was actually Yoda, as a child.  When my son told me the character at the end of Ep. 1 was likely Boba, I had to re-think that.  The time frame of this series is still confusing me, but for him it totally makes sense because he's grounded in Rebels.

2.  The one thing that jumped out at me in this episode is that the group that attacked Mando's speeder at the beginning was clearly making a play for baby Yoda.  They knew something from someone.

3.  I was confused when Mando said, "may the force be with you."  He's shown total ignorance to what the force is (something like, "His species can move objects with their mind!")  But, given the timeframe and the X-wings last night, obviously the concept of the Force is well known in the universe at this time, and one would assume he is aware of the Jedi.  Yet he and the Mando armorer in Season 1 were totally ignorant.  Maybe this is just a matter of - its a big universe and the things we know about Luke, Vadar, Yoda, the council, etc. are not known by everyone?  How could the Mandalorians not know the story of Jango and Boba?

 

 

I don’t want to do spoiler tags bc I don’t think it’s spoiler stuff, but yes my interpretation is that it’s a big universe and there isn’t a cable news network or the New York Times to reveal who defeated the empire — just the rebels. So given how big the universe is and how people like the Mandalorian stay out on the margins, it seems possible to me he wouldn’t have heard of Luke, etc. 

 

The timeframe for this show is relatively recent after episode 6 — I forgot how many years but just a few. 

Edited by Capella
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capella said:

I don’t want to do spoiler tags bc I don’t think it’s spoiler stuff, but yes my interpretation is that it’s a big universe and there isn’t a cable news network or the New York Times to reveal who defeated the empire — just the rebels. So given how big the universe is and how people like the Mandalorian stay out on the margins, it seems possible to me he wouldn’t have heard of Luke, etc. 

 

The timeframe for this show is relatively recent after episode 6 — I forgot how many years but just a few. 

About 5-years after the Jedi.

 

I had an issue with Mando using that phrase, but I suspect it has simply become a common saying of those in the New Republic, so he just said it to fit the situation.  As we know from the sequels, the New Republic isn't so smooth and everything isn't standardized even 30 years later.  The Galaxy is an expansive Wild West with the Republic/Empire/New Republic having member systems trying to organize and create peace, structure,  and wealth basically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

My son told me this was a "filler" episode before I watched it last night and I tend to agree.  I also discussed a few things with him.  My entire Star Wars world is based on the movies.  While he's seen the movies, the main focus of his worldview is from Rebels.

 

  Hide contents

 

1. I am so ignorant as to the timeline issues, I actually thought "Baby Yoda" was actually Yoda, as a child.  When my son told me the character at the end of Ep. 1 was likely Boba, I had to re-think that.  The time frame of this series is still confusing me, but for him it totally makes sense because he's grounded in Rebels.

2.  The one thing that jumped out at me in this episode is that the group that attacked Mando's speeder at the beginning was clearly making a play for baby Yoda.  They knew something from someone.

3.  I was confused when Mando said, "may the force be with you."  He's shown total ignorance to what the force is (something like, "His species can move objects with their mind!")  But, given the timeframe and the X-wings last night, obviously the concept of the Force is well known in the universe at this time, and one would assume he is aware of the Jedi.  Yet he and the Mando armorer in Season 1 were totally ignorant.  Maybe this is just a matter of - its a big universe and the things we know about Luke, Vadar, Yoda, the council, etc. are not known by everyone?  How could the Mandalorians not know the story of Jango and Boba?

 

 

Others have answered the time line for you but your son being grounded in Rebels is going to serve him well.  All indications we have is that this season is going to have plenty of Rebels tie ins.  Even the Spider crabs from episode 2 look directly lifted from Rebels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Capella said:

I do wish they’d advance the plot a little bit more but damn these two episodes have been fun. I think they went for plot advancement the last 4 eps of last season so maybe we’ll see the same again. 

This is the "plot."   The show is the A-Team in outer space.  Instead of being fugitives trying to clear their name, he is a fugitive trying to find Baby Yoda's family.  That isn't the point of the show.   The show is a series of one-off episodes loosely held together by the Baby Yoda arc story where each week he meets someone who needs help and does his thing with a makeshift group of good guys.   

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Others have answered the time line for you but your son being grounded in Rebels is going to serve him well.  All indications we have is that this season is going to have plenty of Rebels tie ins.  Even the Spider crabs from episode 2 look directly lifted from Rebels.

they weren't though... apparently they were based on some original trilogy art work:  https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-season-2-episode-2-spiders-species-krykna/

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, the rover said:

This is the "plot."   The show is the A-Team in outer space.  Instead of being fugitives trying to clear their name, he is a fugitive trying to find Baby Yoda's family.  That isn't the point of the show.   The show is a series of one-off episodes loosely held together by the Baby Yoda arc story where each week he meets someone who needs help and does his thing with a makeshift group of good guys.   

I think the baby yoda arc is more important than you suggest. While there are certainly a lot of one-offs, I expect those new republic guys we met in ep 2 to show up later to help. Have to introduce them first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jaysus said:

they weren't though... apparently they were based on some original trilogy art work:  https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-season-2-episode-2-spiders-species-krykna/

It looks like they were both sourced/inspired from the same material as they look so similar.

Here is the source material from Empire: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/89/RMQ-KnobbyWhiteSpider.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20070807181205

Here is the spider from Rebels: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/File:Krykna-SWCT.png

Edited by NewlyRetired
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 1:30 PM, the rover said:

This is the "plot."   The show is the A-Team in outer space.  Instead of being fugitives trying to clear their name, he is a fugitive trying to find Baby Yoda's family.  That isn't the point of the show.   The show is a series of one-off episodes loosely held together by the Baby Yoda arc story where each week he meets someone who needs help and does his thing with a makeshift group of good guys.   

My 17 year old was complaining about the serial nature of the show, and the A-Team is the exact show I came up with to explain how it works.  Instead of running from General Stockwell, Mando is looking after Baby Yoda.  Each of these moves the main character(s) from encounter to encounter, but aren't what the show is about in the end.

Maybe Baby Yoda will have more impact as the series moves on, but up until now, there isnt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometime ago a Mandalorian was sent to die for the crime of saving The Child. This man promptly escaped from an Imperial brigade to the Outer Rim underground. Today, still wanted by Moff Gideon, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire the Mandalorian.

  • Like 10
  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Capella said:

I think the baby yoda arc is more important than you suggest. While there are certainly a lot of one-offs, I expect those new republic guys we met in ep 2 to show up later to help. Have to introduce them first. 

I don’t think so.  Baby Yoda is a plot device.  The individual stories are pretty much unrelated.  If you’re hoping the arc story gets advanced I think you’re looking at x-files type disappointment.  The story isn’t the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 8:37 PM, Foosball God said:

I was a bit disappointed in that one.  A bit too much "To be continued" about it.

Agreed. Even my son mentioned that it was a focus on one thing type of show, i.e. didn’t go anywhere. The dragon last week was a fun start and “mission” episode but at least felt let you accomplished something getting the armor. They could have just sat in the cave and not dropped and no change in any story arc. Other than baby yoda eating the eggs, the rest was meh and a complete Aliens rip-off. I’d be interested in the physics of frozen baby spider pods somehow opening a million years after the ice age started on that planet. Didn’t seem like there was much to eat but those spiders got huge. Anyway, when you get 20+ episodes a season a throwaway isn’t a big deal. When you get 8 episodes a year, a throwaway is a lot.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, the rover said:

I don’t think so.  Baby Yoda is a plot device.  The individual stories are pretty much unrelated.  If you’re hoping the arc story gets advanced I think you’re looking at x-files type disappointment.  The story isn’t the show.

That would be disappointing. I get it, but even in the X-Files they did have longer story arcs. Whether you liked them or not, X-Files did have longer story lines intertwined and to a certain degree investigating the one offs was their actual job. I’ll still watch and it wasn’t awful, but if it’s just episodic and nothing else it won’t be as good for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the rover said:

I don’t think so.  Baby Yoda is a plot device.  The individual stories are pretty much unrelated.  If you’re hoping the arc story gets advanced I think you’re looking at x-files type disappointment.  The story isn’t the show.

I think they advanced it quite a bit last year. It definitely turned less episodic at the end of the season. We’ll see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Agreed. Even my son mentioned that it was a focus on one thing type of show, i.e. didn’t go anywhere. The dragon last week was a fun start and “mission” episode but at least felt let you accomplished something getting the armor. They could have just sat in the cave and not dropped and no change in any story arc. Other than baby yoda eating the eggs, the rest was meh and a complete Aliens rip-off. I’d be interested in the physics of frozen baby spider pods somehow opening a million years after the ice age started on that planet. Didn’t seem like there was much to eat but those spiders got huge. Anyway, when you get 20+ episodes a season a throwaway isn’t a big deal. When you get 8 episodes a year, a throwaway is a lot.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather be watching Star Trek?  Don't they have one or two new series out there atm?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Psychopav said:

Are you sure you wouldn't rather be watching Star Trek?  Don't they have one or two new series out there atm?

I was more joking about that. Let’s be honest, it was basically Aliens mixed with the spider above from earlier Star Wars lore. Frozen solid sacks seem like a bad way to spawn and mom and dad spider were just asleep for millenniums. Anyway, I was only bothered that we didn’t even get frog lady anywhere, so now we have another episode of baby yoda eating her kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 7:15 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

They're ripping off Mass Effect.

First it was the Thresher Maw then it was the Rachni.

Still pretty cool though. The production value is terrific - it just LOOKS great.

Disagree. Krayt Dragons have been established in Star Wars well before Mass Effect and are distinctly lizard like. Thresher Maws are just literally giant worms. 

Rachni are much more intelligent than the spider monsters and look more like a cross between scorpions and crickets than spiders. 

Now Star Trek Picard, they have blatantly plagiarized Mass Effect lifting whole scenes and bits of lore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Psychopav said:

Are you sure you wouldn't rather be watching Star Trek?  Don't they have one or two new series out there atm?

Don't worry. Star trek is currently way dumber in the details than Star Wars at this point. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stbugs said:

I was more joking about that. Let’s be honest, it was basically Aliens mixed with the spider above from earlier Star Wars lore. Frozen solid sacks seem like a bad way to spawn and mom and dad spider were just asleep for millenniums. Anyway, I was only bothered that we didn’t even get frog lady anywhere, so now we have another episode of baby yoda eating her kids.

Not really kids. They're unfertilized eggs. Basically like the dozen chicken eggs you'd find at the store as far as Boda is concerned. The only cringe worthy part is that he eats them raw. Unless he's doing some Rocky montage training soon.  Kid has an iron stomach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...