What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (3 Viewers)

Where do you see these at? 
I thought it was at the end of the episode they have a brief preview of next week?  Maybe I saw it somewhere else though, I don't remember.  They were definitely walking around with frog lady at the port and Ahsoka was lurking near a crate.

This is what threw it for me. I get the notion of suspension of disbelief, but this one was a step too far -- he fixed a ripped apart hull of a spacecraft with a handtorch, and brought the ship back from a smoking wreck not once, but twice in the same episode? C'mon.
Keep reminding yourself Star Wars is in the fantasy genre, not sci-fi.  You'll be a lot happier.

Star Wars clearly doesn't bother itself with the difficulties of leaving a planets gravitational pull, or passing through the exosphere.  Neither should you.

I guess a big thing on Twitter tonight is people saying baby yoda committed genocide by eating those eggs and people were actually, seriously...offended by it. Multiple articles up on it. I need to quit the internet. 
Yeah, my wife is a headline skimmer type when it comes to entertainment stuff. She of all people came home yesterday and told me about that goofiness. Then she started mocking the outraged internet moralists.  :lmao:  I would have never known if not for her and this thread

Yeah, my wife is a headline skimmer type when it comes to entertainment stuff. She of all people came home yesterday and told me about that goofiness. Then she started mocking the outraged internet moralists.  :lmao:  I would have never known if not for her and this thread
The first headline I saw was “apparently baby yoda eating the frog eggs was supposed to be funny” and I thought wait it was funny. 

They got me to click though as I was curious what the outrage was. Breaking news: animal eats animal. 

Yeah, Star Wars isn't really interested in realistically portraying ecosystems, physiology, or physics. 

Anyway...What kind of life cycle evolves to where the unfertilized eggs have to be carried around in a mechanical device? And frog lady says they have evolved to where they can only exist on one planet - I guess that excepts the two planets that she's shown on in this episode alone. And why did she leave her planet in the first place?

Yeah, Star Wars isn't really interested in realistically portraying ecosystems, physiology, or physics. 

Anyway...What kind of life cycle evolves to where the unfertilized eggs have to be carried around in a mechanical device? And frog lady says they have evolved to where they can only exist on one planet - I guess that excepts the two planets that she's shown on in this episode alone. And why did she leave her planet in the first place?
Eh, it’s not well put together. Only thing bothering me is feeling like we spent way too much time with frog lady and now we’ll get to meet her hubby and that’s 25% of this season.

Eh, it’s not well put together. Only thing bothering me is feeling like we spent way too much time with frog lady and now we’ll get to meet her hubby and that’s 25% of this season.
But you can look forward to the merchandise on sale soon! Get your Star Wars pudding cups in the shape of an incubation pod and infused with gel capsules - just like Baby Yoda ate!

The first headline I saw was “apparently baby yoda eating the frog eggs was supposed to be funny” and I thought wait it was funny. 

They got me to click though as I was curious what the outrage was. Breaking news: animal eats animal. 
People are just so woke.

I liked the old Andy Dufresne who would preform mental gymnastics to explain why this was totally plausible.

Watching that poor frog woman numbly grieving for the lost eggs -- the last link to her entire lineage -- completely unable to utter her despair and heartbreak to anyone around who could understand her, her croaking desperate pleas for help and intervention simply bouncing off the cold, hard shell of a faceless mercenary who knows full well what's going on but can't be bothered to do anything more than gently chide his monstrous, ravenous, neonate-killing grub of a carnivorous humanoid toddler...

...yeah, I think they were more than just unfertilized eggs.
They were just unfertilized eggs. Mando was taking her to her husband so that he could fertilize them. But they were the last eggs she’d ever be able to lay, which is why she was so protective of them. Each one lost lowers her chances of having offspring. So while the kid isn’t eating her unborn children, he is whittling away her possible progeny.

Of course the child is Force-sensitive. It’s highly possible that he only ate the eggs that weren’t viable for some reason.

Keep reminding yourself Star Wars is in the fantasy genre, not sci-fi.  You'll be a lot happier.

Star Wars clearly doesn't bother itself with the difficulties of leaving a planets gravitational pull, or passing through the exosphere.  Neither should you.
We are talking about the same franchise that world-builds so effectively that there are whole wikis (wookies?) about things that are mentioned off-hand in dialogue that have crazy-deep backstories and remain consistent across movie, books, cartoons, comics, and other mediums, right? With such attention to detail this part seemed, well, just lazy to me.

I don't care that tie-fighters make noise in the vacuum of space, or that the fact that bacteria causes telekinesis and other magic is never explained. I am not looking to have every single thing easily explained.

That's part of fiction, period -- yet again, I very well get the concept of suspension of disbelief.

But there is an uncanny valley to this stuff. For example, where there is too convenient/frequent of a deus ex machina, or where unexplained abilities or happenstance is just too much.

And a guy being able to rebuild his ship from a veritable scrap heap to a working interstellar concern -- not once, but twice -- is just that kind of step over the line to me.

Unless his dad's got an awesome set of tools....

Of all the things, to me, it was the broken glass/windows that seem to be the most difficult to just wave away. Like, maybe he can weld or patch over some metal parts, but, believing he can re-melt glass well enough to survive the vacuum of space and the needs of interstellar travel... 

Like, I've seen some redneck repairs on cars, up to and including covering windows with clear plastic, but, I wouldn't be riding a space shuttle with a duct-taped plastic bag as a windshield.

We are talking about the same franchise that world-builds so effectively that there are whole wikis (wookies?) about things that are mentioned off-hand in dialogue that have crazy-deep backstories and remain consistent across movie, books, cartoons, comics, and other mediums, right? With such attention to detail this part seemed, well, just lazy to me.

I don't care that tie-fighters make noise in the vacuum of space, or that the fact that bacteria causes telekinesis and other magic is never explained. I am not looking to have every single thing easily explained.

That's part of fiction, period -- yet again, I very well get the concept of suspension of disbelief.

But there is an uncanny valley to this stuff. For example, where there is too convenient/frequent of a deus ex machina, or where unexplained abilities or happenstance is just too much.

And a guy being able to rebuild his ship from a veritable scrap heap to a working interstellar concern -- not once, but twice -- is just that kind of step over the line to me.

If I'm going to fall into this trap, I'm going to say the worst thing about the episode is that they couldn't travel at lightspeed, and had to use sub light engines to get to the next planet.  Adding in to the fact that there apparently was at least one planet between them, can you imagine how long that would take?  Baby Yoda would be going through puberty by the time they got there.

If I'm going to fall into this trap, I'm going to say the worst thing about the episode is that they couldn't travel at lightspeed, and had to use sub light engines to get to the next planet.  Adding in to the fact that there apparently was at least one planet between them, can you imagine how long that would take?  Baby Yoda would be going through puberty by the time they got there.
Yeah that was absurd. 

Really good point, but even putting that aside, I am not sure that this part of the plot -- why they needed to travel at sub-lightspeed -- really came to bear in this episode in any way whatsoever.

Maybe the payoff for this will be in the next episode? 

Really good point, but even putting that aside, I am not sure that this part of the plot -- why they needed to travel at sub-lightspeed -- really came to bear in this episode in any way whatsoever.

Maybe the payoff for this will be in the next episode? 
They did that to explain why he was able to be intercepted by the X-Wings. 

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

He sealed the cockpit only.  The rest of the ship was exposed.

I am very excited for her to appear. 

Really good episode I thought.
There were rumors that Saha Banks, aka Mercedes Varnado, was going to be playing the Mandalorian Sabine Wren. She was playing Koska Reeves instead. But at the end of Rebels Sabine went off with Ashoka Tano, so we may yet get an appearance from her. She did play a big part in the history of the dark saber.

Have not watched episode 3 yet, going to tonight though......I LOVE this series!  Very refreshing after the recent movies.....I grew up on the original trilogy and am pretty much a Star Wars geek.....I still love them all.

Mandalorian is just so smart, and fresh.....all while paying homage to what came before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding third episode

Noted to the wife that this last offering was the shortest at 35-minutes. Hopefully we'll get a good 45' or so for the next episode. Glad to see the Dark Saber questions get a few answers.

Looking for you, @TheIronSheik

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
bcdjr1 said:
They were just unfertilized eggs. Mando was taking her to her husband so that he could fertilize them. But they were the last eggs she’d ever be able to lay, which is why she was so protective of them. Each one lost lowers her chances of having offspring. So while the kid isn’t eating her unborn children, he is whittling away her possible progeny.

Of course the child is Force-sensitive. It’s highly possible that he only ate the eggs that weren’t viable for some reason.
It's also possible he didn't really digest them. 

I guess a big thing on Twitter tonight is people saying baby yoda committed genocide by eating those eggs and people were actually, seriously...offended by it. Multiple articles up on it. I need to quit the internet. 
Just quit Twitter. I did about 2 weeks before the election. Smartest move I made this year. That place is a cesspool.

Pretty good episode. Guess I was wrong about not seeing frog lady anymore. Also how many times can Mando be double crossed by someone before he's just like "nah, tell me what I want or I kill you now."

I do like how they aren't being blatant with the fan service. They're sprinkling it in to the story naturally while making they're own thing. Really wish we had these kids of writers for ep 7-9. Would have made a huge difference. 

I must admit, a small part of me thought Mr. and Mrs Frog were going to pop that baby into their mouths for a second there....

Users who are viewing this thread