Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series!

17 hours ago, Insein said:

They made him into a nephew murdering hobo before he died. So if we can steer past that nonsense, we'll be better for it. 

Who then realized the error of his ways, single-handedly saving the last remnants of the Resistance/Rebellion and sacrificing himself for the greater good, all while punking his emo-##### nephew in perhaps the coolest way possible. 

Don't forget that part.  Pretty good arc.  Kinda like his Pop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

12 minutes ago, Skipdog77 said:

Who then realized the error of his ways, single-handedly saving the last remnants of the Resistance/Rebellion and sacrificing himself for the greater good, all while punking his emo-##### nephew in perhaps the coolest way possible. 

Don't forget that part.  Pretty good arc.  Kinda like his Pop. 

No. He didn't even bother showing up in person to save the day and even if he had done nothing, Rey was the one that saves them anyway. He made a hologram and then faded into dust like a fart in the wind. 

On top of that, it's not a redemption from wanting to kill your nephew. You don't just wake up one night and go "hey nephew had a bad dream, guess I better kill him." Especially Luke Skywalker of all people. The guy who literally believed in the good in Darth Vader would come through in the end. 

There was no arc. It was a completely different person in TLJ than the one we knew on Return of the Jedi and they didn't bother explaining why. 

• Like 1

Just now, Insein said:

It was a completely different person in TLJ than the one we knew on Return of the Jedi and they didn't bother explaining why. 

I think it opens the door for stories about what a crappy Jedi master we was.  Really his only great quality was his unwavering belief that his father still had some good in him.  Otherwise, he was overmatched by all the Sith he faced, and never really got much training.  Rey showed 10x the promise that Luke did at the same age.

4 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I think it opens the door for stories about what a crappy Jedi master we was.  Really his only great quality was his unwavering belief that his father still had some good in him.  Otherwise, he was overmatched by all the Sith he faced, and never really got much training.  Rey showed 10x the promise that Luke did at the same age.

Which is not a story Star Wars fans want to see especially since the books that have been out for 30 years have shown Luke's growth into the ultimate Jedi. He was an amazing Jedi master that brought the jedi order back from the brink of extinction. 

He should be overmatched against Darth Vader and the Emperor, 2 of the most powerful force users in the universe. Even though he had hardcore training for several months with the greatest Jedi master, Yoda and his basic level training with Obiwan (also a top tier jedi), He shouldn't just show up and beat them with no effort. Unlike Rey Palpatine who can beat a trained force user after just picking up a lightsaber for the first time or defeating the emperor because she has a second lightsaber because more is better. 

No one wants to see a story of the greatest hero in the Star Wars universe be a miserable failure. We got that with TLJ and it almost ended Star Wars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Insein said:

Which is not a story Star Wars fans want to see especially since the books that have been out for 30 years have shown Luke's growth into the ultimate Jedi. He was an amazing Jedi master that brought the jedi order back from the brink of extinction. 

He should be overmatched against Darth Vader and the Emperor, 2 of the most powerful force users in the universe. Even though he had hardcore training for several months with the greatest Jedi master, Yoda and his basic level training with Obiwan (also a top tier jedi), He shouldn't just show up and beat them with no effort. Unlike Rey Palpatine who can beat a trained force user after just picking up a lightsaber for the first time or defeating the emperor because she has a second lightsaber because more is better. 

No one wants to see a story of the greatest hero in the Star Wars universe be a miserable failure. We got that with TLJ and it almost ended Star Wars. 

Like Disney gives 2 sheets about the books.  They care about making moolah, and if that means Luke is a loser, then so be it.  I bet they resurrect Mace Windu next.

54 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Like Disney gives 2 sheets about the books.  They care about making moolah, and if that means Luke is a loser, then so be it.  I bet they resurrect Mace Windu next.

They do care about money. That's why when they did the Luke is a loser storyline and it started losing them money, they have chosen a different direction. That's why we have Filoni and Favreau rebuilding trust with the fans. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Insein said:

They do care about money. That's why when they did the Luke is a loser storyline and it started losing them money, they have chosen a different direction. That's why we have Filoni and Favreau rebuilding trust with the fans. 

In fine with that as long as Mark Hamill isn't playing a role.  Get a new Luke and good writers and I'm sure it will take off and make bank.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

In fine with that as long as Mark Hamill isn't playing a role.  Get a new Luke and good writers and I'm sure it will take off and make bank.

I'm good with that. It's what I said they should do from the start. Recast so they're not stuck with old actors and continue the story near return of the jedi. We're finally getting that. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, Insein said:

I make pretend TLJ never happened.

The Mandolorian is on the path of righting the wrongs of TLJ. I agree with you. I did not like the way Luke was portrayed in TLJ. It was an abortion for old school Star Wars fans and fans of the books in the entire cannon. 

This series is amazing. I love it. I love the easter eggs, the nods to the original trilogy. All of it. John Favreau is saving Star Wars. And he has been consulting with the guy who imagined it all in George Lucas. 

Again.....this show has been what all of us pioneer Star War fans have been waiting for since Return Of The Jedi. 

Period!!

I will also give a huge shout out for Rogue One which is awesome sauce as well.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I have gone back and binged watched it, usually about 3 episodes at a time.  I like it more than 1 a week.

I wish Disney didn't consider 8 episodes an actual season.  It will take 3 of their seasons to equal 1 season of a show on TV, like NCIS.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, shades said:

If he's only developed to the point we see him in the 50 years he's been alive, why do you think he'll suddenly develop at a much faster rate now? I mean, he doesn't listen to simple instructions and happily eats living creatures he is told he shouldn't. He's not going to suddenly become a master of anything in the next 1 year given he's barely able to function without constant supervision and has no independence at age 50. At age 51... he should be about the same.

Because it is a fantasy series. I mean, why do you think there is a 50 year old child who can control things with his mind?

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Todem said:

I make pretend TLJ never happened.

The Mandolorian is on the path of righting the wrongs of TLJ. I agree with you. I did not like the way Luke was portrayed in TLJ. It was an abortion for old school Star Wars fans and fans of the books in the entire cannon. 

This series is amazing. I love it. I love the easter eggs, the nods to the original trilogy. All of it. John Favreau is saving Star Wars. And he has been consulting with the guy who imagined it all in George Lucas. 

Again.....this show has been what all of us pioneer Star War fans have been waiting for since Return Of The Jedi. 

Period!!

I will also give a huge shout out for Rogue One which is awesome sauce as well.

Dave Filoni worked under George's wing for years on the Clone Wars and is the personification of all the  things that Star Wars fans hold near and dear, imho. He’s a major part of why Mandalorian has all the great nostalgia, connections and call backs that we are all loving in this series. 

as for the 8 episode season...I assume it’s how many stories Lucasfilm had to fill out a season. I mean, they could stretch it to 10 episodes to make folks feel like there’s "more" but then we'd complain of too much filler. 

I’m hopeful that all of this Star Wars episodic content is the shot in the arm that it seems to be for SW and also makes the upcoming films become more of the special events they were meant to be. 

Edited by joey
  • Like 3

Filoni and Favreau are just like kids playing with their Star Wars figures, except instead of sticking them on rocks or furniture and kite string, they're using real actors and sets and the Volume.  Proof positive was their use of the Imperial Troop Transport, which was an awesome period contemporary toy that was never seen in a single movie.

Based on the midichlorian and genetic science storyline, I have some optimism that, rather than exploiting a multiverse (which I agree would be kind of lame), they're working towards bridging the gaps among all the different incarnations, including the prequel and sequel trilogies.  Hey at least they're giving it the old college try.  If it fails, they can still fall back to the multiple universes and have a great ride liberating Mandalore.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RC94 said:

It will take 3 of their seasons to equal 1 season of a show on TV, like NCIS.

Everyone has shorter attention spans now.

Plus, in "regular" TV you don't have a tight story arc that is told over 8 episodes, you have a bunch of individual stand-alones, with an occasional loose thread that ties in a larger story arc.

I prefer a shorter, but tighter, story arc.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

I finished The Clone Wars tv series. Quite a few low quality episodes but it was well worth watching. At its best it was pretty incredible. I’m tempted to dive into Rebels next

Rebels high's were not as high as The Clone Wars quality peak but it was a more consistent run.  The shorter nature of the Rebels series helped as there was little need for filler episodes.

• Thanks 1

Just finished season 2. The first few episodes were solid like season 1,  but the 2nd half of the season was incredible. I think it moved when that single x-wing showed up.   Just killer. 

And fat Bib Fortuna!!! 😂😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Capella said:

My guess is her character will be off in the galaxy doing stuff, if she’s ever even mentioned again, and they’ll cast a new female character completely. 

Or a Stormtrooper finally gets his aim down :devil:

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Comparing republicans to Holocaust survivors was definitely going too far. I think they were trying to let it smooth over and then she barfed that take out the other night. 

From what I read, seems she's been skirting the fringe for a while, which is cool. If you want to express your opinion that way, go for it. Just understand the lane you're in and that actions have consequences.

Didn't particularly care for the character anyhow. Moving on.

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

From what I read, seems she's been skirting the fringe for a while, which is cool. If you want to express your opinion that way, go for it. Just understand the lane you're in and that actions have consequences.

Didn't particularly care for the character anyhow. Moving on.

She knew she was in thin ice and cost herself an extremely primo gig. Incredibly dumb. Just log off. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capella said:

She knew she was in thin ice and cost herself an extremely primo gig. Incredibly dumb. Just log off. 

Yep, you have a finite career arc (for the most part) just put your head down, rake cash and when you're old and nobody wants to watch you on the big screen anymore, fire away! I think of Chuck Woolery as a good example of this.

I only read a few of the tweets, the ones in the articles that reported her firing, and it seems like she was punted for poorly stating her point, i.e. being bad making analogies.

I would guess she was warned before and this was more of a last straw sort of thing.

On a tangent note, everybody sounds dumb when comparing anything in the US to Nazi Germany.

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Comparing republicans to Holocaust survivors was definitely going too far. I think they were trying to let it smooth over and then she barfed that take out the other night. 

She didn't though. She was saying that jews reached the point in WW2 germany where they were openly persecuted because their neighbors allowed it. Then she asked how is that any different than persecuting people for their political beliefs. What is offensive there? Shes not wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm done with disney again. They haven't learned a damn thing. Star wars was on the way back and they just couldn't help themselves. Had to listen to nutjobs on twitter who have been harassing this woman for over a year. Nutjobs who don't even know a single character from Star wars but will happily watch it burn if it serves their religious agenda. 

#### disney. #### Disney wars. I'm out.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

8 minutes ago, Insein said:

She didn't though. She was saying that jews reached the point in WW2 germany where they were openly persecuted because their neighbors allowed it. Then she asked how is that any different than persecuting people for their political beliefs. What is offensive there? Shes not wrong. 

Because she's equating the current political climate to the the climate in Nazi Germany.  Do you really think that either side of our political spectrum are receiving the same treatment the Jews received just prior to the Holocaust?  That was the precursor to genocide.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Because she's equating the current political climate to the the climate in Nazi Germany.  Do you really think that either side of our political spectrum are receiving the same treatment the Jews received just prior to the Holocaust?  That was the precursor to genocide.

She posted a quote which made no connection to the current political climate. It said persecuted for political beliefs. She was fired because of the non stop onslaught of twitter harassing her for a year. This was just the loose excuse they needed to do it. 

No consistency whatsoever. Their new High Republic host calls the fans white supremacists and says all white people are racist. Nothing. Pedro Pascal compares Trump voters to Nazis literally, not with a metaphor. Nothing. Gina gets harassed by weirdos on twitter, makes a post comparing political persecution and how it can get worse with no specific correlations, fired. 

Done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Insein said:

She posted a quote which made no connection to the current political climate. It said persecuted for political beliefs. She was fired because of the non stop onslaught of twitter harassing her for a year. This was just the loose excuse they needed to do it. 

No consistency whatsoever. Their new High Republic host calls the fans white supremacists and says all white people are racist. Nothing. Pedro Pascal compares Trump voters to Nazis literally, not with a metaphor. Nothing. Gina gets harassed by weirdos on twitter, makes a post comparing political persecution and how it can get worse with no specific correlations, fired. 

Done.

I'd missed that one. Lots of actors aren't too sharp.

6 minutes ago, Insein said:

Done.

Come on now, you're just being obtuse here.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with what they've let slide versus not but in the context of her tweets absolutely was enough justification.

People just need to stop with the Nazi Germany comparisons.

Edited by Foosball God
ETA: And if Pedro Pascal actually did that, then boot his ### too.

2 minutes ago, John123 said:

You'd think that a company that is ok with current day concentration camps would have no problem with nazi references.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/08/disney-thanked-groups-linked-to-china-detention-camps-in-mulan-credits.html

Exactly. We can take this thread way off the rails with all the #### Disney has done and let slide. #### them for feeding into this current day hysteria. They had their second chance and shat the bed. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

As for the rest, I'm not familiar with what they've let slide versus not but in the context of her tweets absolutely was enough justification.

"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors... even by children... Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"

Where is the direct correlation to today? The fact that people associated it with today served her purpose perfectly and proved her right.

• Like 1

Relatively boring character, played by a very limited actress who apparently is about as bright as a box of rocks. 

Easy decision.  Smell you later, good riddance. Recast would be easy too.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Pedro pascal in November.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cosmicbook.news/mandalorian-pedro-pascal-fans-nazis%3famp