Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018 Mock NBA Draft - And that's a wrap! Thanks everyone!


Recommended Posts

1.11 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Hornets need another ball handler, one that can score and play defense. SGA is super lengthy and showed towards the end of the year that he can score the ball. The hornets also like players from Kentucky with hyphens in their name.

The pick works both with Kemba (and Monk) this year but also potentially in the future if Kemba jets.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spartans Rule said:

The Clippers select...

1.12 Miles Bridges SF, Michigan State :homer:

His bust potential seems pretty high to me.  Curious to see what your evaluation of his pro-potential is since I'm sure you've seen him more than anyone else here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, anyone (ANYone, but Porzi gonna cost ya) on the Knicks roster is available on our 2 year reboot schedule. 

I mean, while our roster may suck, just be warned... its pretty easy to get fleeced when trading with the Knicks.  (seriously, we have role players, would take one year of exessive contract, possibly two if its just overpaid talent, guys who are gonna be free agents and play in San Antonio might be looking this way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Pacers are open to declining some of our guarantees and grabbing faried and that number 14 pick (at least to make it interesting.  Not totally sure if that’s their best move, though not sure what free agents will really go there.)

If I am reading this right, we can decline Al Jefferson and that gets us up to 14.18 million in cap space.  That means we can fit in Kenneth Faried's 13.76 million, so we would like to do that.  

Nuggets need to get rid of it because Kroenke will not pay the tax.  Let's do this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

If I am reading this right, we can decline Al Jefferson and that gets us up to 14.18 million in cap space.  That means we can fit in Kenneth Faried's 13.76 million, so we would like to do that.  

Nuggets need to get rid of it because Kroenke will not pay the tax.  Let's do this.

There a probably at least 4-5 teams that would buy out Faried in exchange for #14. So many that I have trouble believing that would end up being the deal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scoobus said:

If we're doing trades, basically the entire Suns roster is available, especially Bender and Chriss (and Brandon Knight, you know you want him).

If you want Bazemore (2 yr, 37MM) or the BEST PLUMLEE EVER (2/25) & 1.19 or Scroder (3/46) & 1.30, I'll take Knight & Chriss off your hands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

If you want Bazemore (2 yr, 37MM) or the BEST PLUMLEE EVER (2/25) & 1.19 or Scroder (3/46) & 1.30, I'll take Knight & Chriss off your hands

So I have no interest in Bazemore, especially with that contract.  I probably like Schroeder more than most, and acquiring him might actually make the Suns potentially have a fighting chance at the playoffs if not this year, then maybe next.  But we're not interested in sneaking into the playoffs, we're interested in championships. 

Better for us to be not very good at least one more year and get a better draft pick.  Chriss is one of my 3 least favorite players in the NBA, horrible attitude to go along with mediocre at best skills.  I'm guessing you think he still has potential, and he probably does have some, but I would trade him for the 19th pick this year in a second, if nothing else to get his trash ### off the team.  Knight for PLUMLEE saves us about $5 million total, to go along with about $3 mil saved this year with Chriss, and he can provide "mentorship" (ie DNP-CD). The Suns accept your proposal.

Phoenix sends:  Marquese Chriss (3.2 mil this year, 4 mil team option next, 5.5 QO next), Brandon Knight (2/30.2)

Atlanta sends: Miles Plumlee (2/24.8), Draft pick 1.19

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2018 at 4:25 PM, Juxtatarot said:

At 1.07 Bulls select Michael Porter, Jr.

Arguably considered the best prospect in his high school class.  At this point in the draft, his ceiling makes him worth the risk of busting due to reoccurring back problems.  The Bulls need a star.

:goodposting: 

Absolute no brainer if he makes it to them IMO. I don't think he does personally.

I think Bagley goes 2 to the Kings.

Edited by Bears_Man2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, scoobus said:

His bust potential seems pretty high to me.  Curious to see what your evaluation of his pro-potential is since I'm sure you've seen him more than anyone else here.

Bust is relative to where he gets picked I suppose, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at least a useful NBA player. He's got great intangibles to go with the athleticism and was rarely a guy I'd get frustrated watching. I guess the worst-case scenario would be something like Justise Winslow or Stanley Johnson where he can defend but doesn't have enough skills to create offense against similar athletes. I like his shooting better than those guys though.

I think Jaren Jackson is more raw than people realize. He has a pretty crazy NBA skill set and produced some serious wow moments, but he was pretty inconsistent and doesn't know how to defend without fouling. I think he'll be a good player down the road but it may take a few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spartans Rule said:

Bust is relative to where he gets picked I suppose, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't at least a useful NBA player. He's got great intangibles to go with the athleticism and was rarely a guy I'd get frustrated watching. I guess the worst-case scenario would be something like Justise Winslow or Stanley Johnson where he can defend but doesn't have enough skills to create offense against similar athletes. I like his shooting better than those guys though.

Bust is probably the wrong word, more like disappointment.  I just worry about the lack of size and ability to create.  He also doesn't seem like an amazing athlete at the next level which worries me even more about his size, but I could be wrong.  Your comparisons of WInslow and Johnson are interesting since I consider them both to be disappointments thus far.  What/who do you see as his ceiling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, scoobus said:

Bust is probably the wrong word, more like disappointment.  I just worry about the lack of size and ability to create.  He also doesn't seem like an amazing athlete at the next level which worries me even more about his size, but I could be wrong.  Your comparisons of WInslow and Johnson are interesting since I consider them both to be disappointments thus far.  What/who do you see as his ceiling?

He's a pretty impressive athlete IMO. Potential dunk contest winner. His ball-handling is what's holding back his offensive potential right now. I didn't see any ankle-breaking crossovers, mostly just drove straight to the hoop and then used his strength to finish.

As far as a ceiling comparison... maybe Michael Finley?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, scoobus said:

So I have no interest in Bazemore, especially with that contract.  I probably like Schroeder more than most, and acquiring him might actually make the Suns potentially have a fighting chance at the playoffs if not this year, then maybe next.  But we're not interested in sneaking into the playoffs, we're interested in championships. 

Better for us to be not very good at least one more year and get a better draft pick.  Chriss is one of my 3 least favorite players in the NBA, horrible attitude to go along with mediocre at best skills.  I'm guessing you think he still has potential, and he probably does have some, but I would trade him for the 19th pick this year in a second, if nothing else to get his trash ### off the team.  Knight for PLUMLEE saves us about $5 million total, to go along with about $3 mil saved this year with Chriss, and he can provide "mentorship" (ie DNP-CD). The Suns accept your proposal.

Phoenix sends:  Marquese Chriss (3.2 mil this year, 4 mil team option next, 5.5 QO next), Brandon Knight (2/30.2)

Atlanta sends: Miles Plumlee (2/24.8), Draft pick 1.19

:hifive:

gonna try & grow Chriss like Randle or Sabonis - pull Bamba @ the 8:00 mark and let Marq hound, hop, hype & foul for 6-8 minutes. no expectations, maybe he finds himself there.

Edited by wikkidpissah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i am sad that I didn't get to execute that trade for the Nuggets pick, but this Indiana situation is fascinating to me.  They only have 1 player guaranteed for the 2019 season (Oladipo at $21 million).  They have Sabonis and Leaf on club options and Anigbogu on a non-gurantee.

Presumably they're going to want to do something with Turner's contract this year, but other than that, everyone else is pretty much take it or leave it.  How they manage this offseason and/or how much money they keep in the bank for next offseason will be very interesting, especially for a team that was so surprising this year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

****TRADE*****

 

Lakers trade: Luol Deng, this year's first (pick 25) and a 2020 top four protected.  (If this pick falls into the protection, it becomes an unprotected 2021 pick. 

Bulls trade: Paul Zipser

 

With this trade the Lakers now have room for 2 max slots and Julius Randle's cap hold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JMon348 said:

****TRADE*****

 

Lakers trade: Luol Deng, this year's first (pick 25) and a 2020 top four protected.  (If this pick falls into the protection, it becomes an unprotected 2021 pick. 

Bulls trade: Paul Zipser

 

With this trade the Lakers now have room for 2 max slots and Julius Randle's cap hold

Confirmed.  Bulls push back free agency plans to 2020 giving young players more time to develop.   Deng will get a few minutes and hopefully serve as a role model to the young core.  If the Lakers under-perform again, the future pick could be in the lottery.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JMon348 said:

****TRADE*****

 

Lakers trade: Luol Deng, this year's first (pick 25) and a 2020 top four protected.  (If this pick falls into the protection, it becomes an unprotected 2021 pick. 

Bulls trade: Paul Zipser

 

With this trade the Lakers now have room for 2 max slots and Julius Randle's cap hold

trade fails on ESPN Trade Machine (by a bunch)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wikkidpissah said:

trade fails on ESPN Trade Machine (by a bunch)

It won't be able to go through until after July 1.  Lakers will need to draft for the Bulls and then the trade happens later (not unprecedented in the NBA).  I think all the Bulls will need to do is renounce rights to Noah Vonleh to free up the space.  They also lose their trade exceptions.  Let me look at this more to be sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay. 

1.15 Wizards: Robert Williams

The Wiz badly need two things: big men who aren’t AARP-eligible and wing depth. I went back and forth between one from each category here. Ultimately I went with Williams, whose 13 rebound in 20 minute performance vs UNC in March haunts me and who seems like a safe play here. Taking someone who can’t shoot is always concerning in the modern NBA but he’s got the athleticism to compensate for it. Seeing a lot of Montrezl Harrell comps, and I’ve thought he’d be a good fit for the Wiz, so here’s a chance for the next best thing with some upside in the longer term.  Another fun fact is that the Capitals won the Stanley Cup and I’m going to a parade today.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Phoenix Suns select:

1.16 Zhaire Smith, Freshman, Texas Tech

Explosive athlete and potentially excellent defender, something the Suns need in the worst way.  Could form a good pairing with Devin Booker with him taking the harder cover at the guard spot; also has the length to match up with 3's if needed.  45% from 3-point land on a very small amount of attempts (40 3PA), but still encouraging and shows possibility of becoming a knock down shooter as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pq92xKl2vQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

brohans the bucks wanted a center but williams carter and bamba are gone so we are going with jerome robinson the bucks needed to get big inside but the next best thing is a scorer who can get there own shot and make use of double teams that the anteaternintendo gets and that is robinson take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spurs select...

1.18 Melvin Frazier, SF, Tulane

Fantastic athlete and ferocious defender. Could be something bigger if he can develop his shot and handle, but even still was able to knock down 38% from 3 last year. Potential replacement if Kawhi decides to leave or could form switching tandem with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suns select.....

1.19 Kevin Huerter, Sophomore, Maryland

I believe the Suns were dead last in 3 point shooting last year, so we’ll take a chance on the best shooter in this draft and hope he can develop into a Redick/Korver type. Good size at 6’7” and not a terrible athlete (although not amazing). Made 7/9 threes this year on the road against a sweet 16 team, but that team was much better than his and better coached and wanted it more and beat him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1.20 - Wolves take Jacob Evans, SF, CIN.

Evans is the guy I had earmarked, so I'm glad he's still here.  I somehow watched a lot of Cincy games last year, and although I don't think Evans has a massive upside, he should be a plus defender right off the bat and has a good enough outside shot that, if it develops, he could be a quality role player or even start.  The Wolves need wings, shooting, and defense.  Huzzah!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

1.20 - Wolves take Jacob Evans, SF, CIN.

Evans is the guy I had earmarked, so I'm glad he's still here.  I somehow watched a lot of Cincy games last year, and although I don't think Evans has a massive upside, he should be a plus defender right off the bat and has a good enough outside shot that, if it develops, he could be a quality role player or even start.  The Wolves need wings, shooting, and defense.  Huzzah!

not even a response to my offer to let you off the Wiggy hook?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...