What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Chark, CAR (2 Viewers)

I believe you when you say he was breaking open or open often and not getting the ball. Minshew was getting rid of the ball like a hot potato. Minshew's aDOT is 19th in the league at 7.8 yards per target. Chark has a 13.4 aDOT and a catch rate of one hundred percent. Sheesh. Looks like we need to see the line block for some plays to develop, fellas.
Yeah that's a good thought. Coach might be telling Minshew to get the ball out fast. That's not Charks game really. Oh well. A couple more games where they aren't targeting him and it'll be safe to say he's toast. 

Chark, Bryan Edwards, Josh Reynolds, and Chase Claypool lead the league in yards per target. Chark is fourth with just slightly over fifteen yards per target. He's 7 for 7 this year on targets/catches. Need to feed, and not just because I roster him.

Yeah that's a good thought. Coach might be telling Minshew to get the ball out fast. That's not Charks game really. Oh well. A couple more games where they aren't targeting him and it'll be safe to say he's toast. 
I don't think he will be toast in dynasty on the back end of days like Sunday and the week prior. He'll have better days even if the Jags usage of him trends downward. But why should it? That would be silly.

I don't think he will be toast in dynasty on the back end of days like Sunday and the week prior. He'll have better days even if the Jags usage of him trends downward. But why should it? That would be silly.
The problem is there is no urgency to get him the ball. If he's your playmaker then you got to unleash the dragon in those spots so to speak. Lol

The problem is there is no urgency to get him the ball. If he's your playmaker then you got to unleash the dragon in those spots so to speak. Lol
I agree with you, but I've seen teams have lots less success while not getting their main playmakers the ball. The NFL is...the NFL. The Jags have bounced at least twenty-seven points back-to-back weeks, so one can't really say they're doing it totally wrong. Sub-optimally, maybe, but not totally wrong. Offense is not their problem. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Minshew has great accuracy on deep passes. He hits Chark in stride on either one of those plays and Charks line is 5-150-1.........

I agree with you, but I've seen teams have lots less success while not getting their main playmakers the ball. The NFL is...the NFL. The Jags have bounced at least twenty-seven points back-to-back weeks, so you can't really say they're doing it totally wrong. Sub-optimally, maybe, but not totally wrong. Offense is not their problem. 
agreed and that's even worse for charks outlook going forward. 

At this rate if things stay the same Chark will put up 50-750-5 with like 3 games where he scores all his TDs. 

Can't say I'm happy about that but if they are having success it won't change. 

At this rate if things stay the same Chark will put up 50-750-5 with like 3 games where he scores all his TDs. 

Can't say I'm happy about that but if they are having success it won't change. 
At this rate he'll only have 56 targets on the year. That would be borderline criminal. 

At this rate he'll only have 56 targets on the year. That would be borderline criminal. 
It doesn't make sense either. He's a proven vet. They are turning to a rookie in a season we didn't have an offseason really? That's the trend we are seeing now though. 2 games is a small sample so let's see what happens Thursday but I'm not expecting much after what I've seen. 

He's a proven vet.
A little overstated, I think. One good year does not elevate one to proven vet status. Even if one were so lucky as to have three years like that, "proven vet" is usually reserved for those on the downside of their skill sets. Chark is dynamic and a third-year breakout guy, just rounding into his peak. Use him, Gruden.

It doesn't make sense either. He's a proven vet. They are turning to a rookie in a season we didn't have an offseason really? That's the trend we are seeing now though. 2 games is a small sample so let's see what happens Thursday but I'm not expecting much after what I've seen. 
agree with rockaction on the vet comment, but you called it, this seems to be a trend and same for some other teams, notably Slayton and Ruggs at a cost to their vet counterparts. I think there is some pattern here in that the "vets" for these three teams, including Chark, aren't exactly elite. I can put Miami in this mix too with Williams, though he's technically not a rookie. i'm still optimistic that when we look back at the season, in total Chark will eventually end up at the top. Preseason just ended (two games, right?), let's go!

A little overstated, I think. One good year does not elevate one to proven vet status. Even if one were so lucky as to have three years like that, "proven vet" is usually reserved for those on the downside of their skill sets. Chark is dynamic and a third-year breakout guy, just rounding into his peak. Use him, Gruden.
He's more proven than any other receiving option on the team. He has a 1k season being the man under his belt. If proven vet is overstated "ok" but teams don't normally regulate players of that stature to 4th on the target pecking order for rookies and undrafted players like Cole. As much as I like Cole. 

He's more proven than any other receiving option on the team. He has a 1k season being the man under his belt. If proven vet is overstated "ok" but teams don't normally regulate players of that stature to 4th on the target pecking order for rookies and undrafted players like Cole. As much as I like Cole. 
Preach. I'm not gonna disagree with the substance of your argument. 

Toast? I get the targets have been a huge issue and he's not going to be as reliable as we hoped but a 109/1 through 2 games is a long way from toast. He just might be more Marvin Jones than Julio Jones. 

Toast? I get the targets have been a huge issue and he's not going to be as reliable as we hoped but a 109/1 through 2 games is a long way from toast. He just might be more Marvin Jones than Julio Jones. 
Well I did say a couple more games.

So yes a couple more games of 3 targets a game and yes his trade value tanks in dynasty and he's toast. I just didn't put it in the context I was thinking in my head. 

If he goes out there Thursday and puts up 2-41-0 on 3 targets and then 1-15-0 on 3 targets the following Sunday what could we reasonably expect is his trade value when he's got 15 Targets in 4 games? 

I would call that a rapidly depreciating asset. 

Or toast. 

Whichever you prefer. 

Only 2 games so far. So to early to call it now. So let's hope they show some urgency getting him the ball downfield Thursday night. 

The overreactions are pretty crazy this year. Chark, Jeudy, etc. Lots of threads filled with people proclaiming the end of a player on two weeks of numbers.

Chark, for example, had 5 games last year with 5 or fewer targets. He's had two games with 3 and 4 targets this year. We're talking about a target or two off of his worst games last season. Settle down people.

Through 2 weeks Chark is #2 in the NFL in Defense-Adjusted Yards above Average (DYAR), at 78 yds.

He is #1 in defense-adjusted value over average, at 115% (that is an insane rating btw).  (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/wr/2020)

This week he goes against the Miami secondary who are #28 in allowing QB success (59.6% success rate) and #30 allowing success to opposing WRs (65.9%). Also to note, Miami are #2 against TEs (33.3% success rate).  (https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/33934/nfl-analytics-positional-success-rates-allowed-through-week-2)

Just sayin'

Watched the entire game. Minshew threw to other guys (some complete/some incomplete) before Chark uncovered or flat out missed Chark open at least 10 times in the game. With the last time costing the jags the game. At the 3:44 mark in the 4th it's 2nd and 9. Chark runs a short inside curl route and is wide open by 6 yards in every direction for what would have been a first down. Right in front of Minshew. All he had to do is catch turn around fall forward. First down. Instead Minshew threw it incomplete to Chris Thompson. Who was covered anyway. They went 3 and out and lost the game. 

Last time I'll bring this game up. 

Keeping it 💯 

Watched the entire game. Minshew threw to other guys (some complete/some incomplete) before Chark uncovered or flat out missed Chark open at least 10 times in the game. With the last time costing the jags the game. At the 3:44 markin the 4th it's 2nd and 9. Chark runs a short inside curl route and is wide open by 6 yards in every direction for what would have been a first down. Right in front of Minshew. All he had to do is catch turn around fall forward. First down. Instead Minshew threw it incomplete to Chris Thompson. Who was covered anyway. They went 3 and out and lost the game. 

Keeping it 💯 
GJ Milkman.  Despite Minshew's competitive spirit, he is still learning as an NFL QB.  Chark gets open a LOT, so hopefully the coaching staff will help him learn to lean on his #1 WR Star.

For Thursday night's game, he might be a game time decision:

For the Thursday Night Game: #Dolphins CB Byron Jones (groin/Achilles) is out, while S Clayton Fejedelem (pec) is doubtful. For the #Jaguars, C Brandon Linder (knee) is out, while WR DJ Chark (chest/back) is questionable. - Ian Rapoport

Chark took a wallop when he gained that first down later on in the game. The hit reverberated all over the field and he came right off. Hope it's not broken ribs. Then redraft would be toast.

Watched the entire game. Minshew threw to other guys (some complete/some incomplete) before Chark uncovered or flat out missed Chark open at least 10 times in the game. With the last time costing the jags the game. At the 3:44 mark in the 4th it's 2nd and 9. Chark runs a short inside curl route and is wide open by 6 yards in every direction for what would have been a first down. Right in front of Minshew. All he had to do is catch turn around fall forward. First down. Instead Minshew threw it incomplete to Chris Thompson. Who was covered anyway. They went 3 and out and lost the game. 

Keeping it 💯 
That is a good thing IMO. It won't be difficult to adjust to get Chark the ball. I would be more worried if you said he was never open. 

That is a good thing IMO. It won't be difficult to adjust to get Chark the ball. I would be more worried if you said he was never open. 
Not sure I agree with that. What I saw was an offense built around Shenault/Cole/Eifert(redzone)/RB. With Chark being an accessory. He's not taking the next step into FF WR1 territory as an accessory. 

If they're not going to push the ball down the field, using Chark's size/speed/high pointing abilities he's no more than a WR3. 

I mean he can run 25 yards down the field wide open all he wants if Minshew has the ball out quick on a 3 step drop to Shenault for a 6 yard gain then Gruden is clapping and cheering Minshews decision on and nothings changing. 

Not sure I agree with that. What I saw was an offense built around Shenault/Cole/Eifert(redzone)/RB. With Chark being an accessory. He's not taking the next step into FF WR1 territory as an accessory. 

If they're not going to push the ball down the field, using Chark's size/speed/high pointing abilities he's no more than a WR3. 

I mean he can run 25 yards down the field wide open all he wants if Minshew has the ball out quick on a 3 step drop to Shenault for a 6 yard gain then Gruden is clapping and cheering Minshews decision on and nothings changing. 
It's a young team with a developing OL, QB, etc. Give it time and the offense can open things up. Plus. I like them but this team probably isn't really as good as they have looked so far. There will be more games where they need to sling it. 

It's a young team with a developing OL, QB, etc. Give it time and the offense can open things up. Plus. I like them but this team probably isn't really as good as they have looked so far. There will be more games where they need to sling it. 
Hey bro love/respect your posts in here and maybe you're right. That's just what I'm seeing through 2 weeks. 

I put my money where my mouth is and traded Kelce for Chark, Hunt and Logan Thomas. My hand was a bit forced with an 0-2 start and losing Saquon but I feel good about the move even if he might miss the game tonight 

Awesome.

I put my money where my mouth is and traded Kelce for Chark, Hunt and Logan Thomas. My hand was a bit forced with an 0-2 start and losing Saquon but I feel good about the move even if he might miss the game tonight 
Talk about stones. Love it. Chark attack commences tonight!

(Maybe.)

Admit it, tho. You traded for Hunt.

TZMarkie said:
 Chark  downgraded to OUT for tonight.

Sigh........
Really sucks, my team is dropping like flies. We have deep benches in dynasty. I may actually have to grab Conley and play him tonight. 

Rotoworld:

D.J. Chark (chest, back) has been ruled out for Thursday night's game against the Dolphins. 

It's probably a case of the short week costing a player who might have otherwise been ready to go, but it is not a particularly great sign that Chark's status did not even come down to game time. He should be considered genuinely questionable to return for Week 4 against the Bengals. Soaking up Chark's lost targets — which were only seven over the first two weeks — will be Keelan Cole and all-purpose weapon Laviska Shenault. Cole has some WR4 appeal against a secondary missing Byron Jones, but it is Shenault who offers the upside. Coming off a three-catch, five-rush effort, Shenault is an intriguing plug-and-play option in 12-team leagues. 

RELATED: 

Laviska Shenault

, Keelan Cole

Sep 24, 2020, 2:07 PM ET

Meh I had him benched for Marvin Jones anyway. He's nothing more than a desperation flex play until proven otherwise. Hopefully they sit him week 4 too so he can get nice and healthy for Houston where he'll put up 2-43-0 line. 

BUST.

Meh I had him benched for Marvin Jones anyway. He's nothing more than a desperation flex play until proven otherwise. Hopefully they sit him week 4 too so he can get nice and healthy for Houston where he'll put up 2-43-0 line. 

BUST.
Bite your tongue.

You start with confidence when he comes back. Minshew was already allergic to him. Now he's banged up. I guess he sucks. 

Shenault for President. 
I'm guessing you missed the 2019 season then.

I'm certainly not saying hes the second coming, but to write him off as a "bust" is a bit of a naive guess at this point.  The only issue here is the lack of targets, which he has literally caught every single one this year.

To me this reeks of a "he's been dealing with some type of minor injury the first few weeks" sort of thing, and they held him out tonight because they might feel like they don't need him to win.  Giving him the extra week may help him rest-of-season.

I drafted him as a WR3 in several spots this year, and I was stoked to do it.

He has had a slow start, but here's a newsflash, thats going on all across the league.   I'm not concerned at all, and hopefully this extra week gets him right.

TZM

I drafted him as a WR3 in several spots this year, and I was stroked to do it.

TZM
Sorry I just thought this was to funny to pass up. 

Good luck boys I won't ruin the thread for you. He's on my bench till he gets more than 7-8 targets in a game.  Which looks like after Gruden leaves. 

I love the threads positivity!

TZMarkie said:
 Chark  downgraded to OUT for tonight.

Sigh........
I'm glad they ruled him out actually. He's my WR1 this year, and he's looked great, but I have Parker (playing tonight) and CeeDee Lamb to fill in.  I hate game time decisions where they activate him but then never really play him. Or worse, I sit him and he goes off for 30 points (cough, Chris Godwin). 

BUST.
Interesting.  I had Chark over Marvin Jones and now with him out Slayton is over Jones for me.  He's another guy that needs to prove he can do it this year.

Very disappointing to see. Sounds like broken ribs or a bone bruise or something. He did take a wallop against Tennessee over the middle. Let's hope his play isn't affected by this, physically or mentally. Never sounded good from the beginning. 

D.J. Chark (chest) returned to practice Wednesday.

Chark is practicing on a limited basis coming off Jacksonville's mini-bye. He still needs to clear some hurdles, but this puts him on track for a Week 4 return. Gardner Minshew threw for 275 scoreless yards and an interception without Chark in the lineup last week. 

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Sep 30, 2020, 12:03 PM ET

No offense but how can Minshew miss him when he only targets him 3-4 times a game. He's a decoy. Maybe Minshew misses that. 

No offense but how can Minshew miss him when he only targets him 3-4 times a game. He's a decoy. Maybe Minshew misses that. 
Minshew's strength as a passer is making smart reads and throwing to open players. Chark drawing coverage helps players get open. Minshew doesn't really have the physical tools to force throws into tight windows or throw his player open consistently. 

Users who are viewing this thread