What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buddy's daughter made u17 national team (1 Viewer)

Short Corner

Footballguy
Really stoked for her as she just missed the final cut last year.  Trying to make plans to watch the WC in Belarus next month but getting extended visa there (over 5 days) is a PITA.  She's a great kid.  Her twitter feed is littered with pictures of big time college coaches (Gino, Muffet, Tara) in their living room.  Kind of surreal when it's someone you watched grow up.

Wow... Very cool! :thumbup:

Fwiw, my wife has known the current USWNT coach most of their lives...if she needs a word put in for her when the time comes. I'm sure that's how national team selection works after all...

still can't believe there's an adult named "Muffet"

that said, cool accomplishment for your friend's daughter

What position - pg, wing, post? What college(s) is she considering? 
She's about 6'2 and does everything.  She ran the point on her high school team that was consensus number one pretty much the entire season (finished there on one poll after all the too teams lost late).

I haven't bugged him at all about who the front runner is but UConn, Stanford, and Notre Dame are all recruiting her among others.  A 6'0 shooting guard on her club team already signed with Stanford.

ETA - her club teammate is the one that knocked them out in the NorCal final.  Second time in three years that team best the number one team in the country in NorCals.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son played a lot of basketball against Azzi Fudd who is on that team.  Azzi didn't even bother playing against the girls at a younger age.  She made the same all-star team as my son twice in the BOYS 7th and 8th grade northern virginia select league.  It pulls from 4 heavily populated counties, so it's pretty impressive she made it.

She wasn't as fast or as strong as the boys.  But she was incredible at body positioning so she could get her shots off.  She put up 25+ point several games I saw.   She really has a knack for seeing angles and things before they happened that none of the boys saw.

My son played a lot of basketball against Azzi Fudd who is on that team.  Azzi didn't even bother playing against the girls at a younger age.  She made the same all-star team as my son twice in the BOYS 7th and 8th grade northern virginia select league.  It pulls from 4 heavily populated counties, so it's pretty impressive she made it.

She wasn't as fast or as strong as the boys.  But she was incredible at body positioning so she could get her shots off.  She put up 25+ point several games I saw.   She really has a knack for seeing angles and things before they happened that none of the boys saw.
Was she just a freshman last year?  They played each other last year in the Nike TOC.  She (Haley Jones) plays for Archbishop Mitty.

Cool stuff...this type of thing is always fun to follow.  Two frat bros have their kids doing some cool stuff.   One had his son drafted by the Cubs last year at this time and the other has daughter NCAA volleyball player of the year at Stanford. 

Was she just a freshman last year?  They played each other last year in the Nike TOC.  She (Haley Jones) plays for Archbishop Mitty.
Yes.  Azzi was a freshman last year.  She played up 1 year in the boys leagues from Grade 7-8 of travel.  It may have been because of her age but I'm not sure.  I think she did the girls league in Grade 5-6, but played up a couple of grades.  Then switched to the boys league.  My son is a sophomore so he's a grade ahead of her.  He's public school and stopped growing at 6'2".  So he's pretty much done in HS.  Short white shooting guards are a dime a dozen.

Real PITA trying to get an extended Visa.  You need a document from the inviting organization stating your business.  Being told to get it from the local (Belarus) travel agency through which you booked your arrangements.  Since I am not booking through them the travel agencies want 400 euros a pop for this document.  I am probably going to go with the standard five day visa instead but my buddy is kind of stuck.  They're flying out for 3 weeks and will probably get hit for 1200 (wife and son coming also).  FIBA and USA Basketball pretty worthless providing an alternative.

I'm going from Munich.  Will be in the Bay Area later this summer though.

eta---buddy is going from Bay Area.

Warm up tourney in Latvia, beat China 106-48.   They just landed yesterday so pretty impressive considering the time difference (7 hours)

Lame 5 day visa rule in Belarus so I will be out there Thursday 7/26 (rest day) thru Monday 7/30.  Will see the quarterfinals on.

10 early fuol trouble tonight.

Eta,--- Azzi Fudd also mentioned in the thread is number six.  She's two years younger than everyone else, staying at pg.  Might be best player on the country theirs of class.  This squad also beat the us u18s

Couldn't post a link to last night's semifinal.  Last two rounds are on ESPN plus.  Win last night 84-39 over Hungary.  Was 10-7 then USA went on a started pressing and went on a20-0 run in just over three minutes.  Final against France tonight who was down fifteen against Australia before putting on the press and taking over.

Condensed game

Really stoked for her as she just missed the final cut last year.  Trying to make plans to watch the WC in Belarus next month but getting extended visa there (over 5 days) is a PITA.  She's a great kid.  Her twitter feed is littered with pictures of big time college coaches (Gino, Muffet, Tara) in their living room.  Kind of surreal when it's someone you watched grow up.

:hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread