What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Jarwin, TE, Dallas Cowboys - Dynasty and Redraft Value (1 Viewer)

Honestly not. I wanted a player thread for him. He's got a realistic shot at earning the starting job. He's got a SPARQ score similar to Ertz's.

Are you trolling though?
There's literally a thread (started by you) for a discussion of the Cowboys' TE battle. There's zero reason to have threads for each individual bum which bumps good threads down the page. I've been here a while and I have civil discussions. I'm not worried about you calling me a troll for stating the obvious. Joe limited you to one thread a day and now you're trolling his board - it's obvious what you are doing.

Apologies to everyone else for bumping this thread again. 

There's literally a thread (started by you) for a discussion of the Cowboys' TE battle. There's zero reason to have threads for each individual bum which bumps good threads down the page. I've been here a while and I have civil discussions. I'm not worried about you calling me a troll for stating the obvious. Joe limited you to one thread a day and now you're trolling his board - it's obvious what you are doing.

Apologies to everyone else for bumping this thread again. 
That's fine. if you want to jump to conclusions, then go for it. That's your prerogative and indicative of how you carry yourself. I can't help that. Won't even try.

But with that said, I think Jarwin will surprise people this year. I hope he gets the starting position. He's the best route runner out of the Cowboys TEs iyam, and he played some H-Back and TE and WR in college. I am very intrigued by him.

the lone star said:
That's fine. if you want to jump to conclusions, then go for it. That's your prerogative and indicative of how you carry yourself. I can't help that. Won't even try.

But with that said, I think Jarwin will surprise people this year. I hope he gets the starting position. He's the best route runner out of the Cowboys TEs iyam, and he played some H-Back and TE and WR in college. I am very intrigued by him.
But you can say all of the above stuff in the Tight End forum.  People aren't going to be filling up this thread with info that isn't already over there.  When almost everyone is asking you to stop, and you ignore them just so you can have a whole thread about some no name's route running, it makes the good threads you actually start (I'll agree there's a couple) a lot less valuable and ignored a lot more. 

But you can say all of the above stuff in the Tight End forum.  People aren't going to be filling up this thread with info that isn't already over there.  When almost everyone is asking you to stop, and you ignore them just so you can have a whole thread about some no name's route running, it makes the good threads you actually start (I'll agree there's a couple) a lot less valuable and ignored a lot more. 
I must say that even though I disagree with the increasingly vocal push to segregate the Shark Pool into redraft subforum and dynasty subforum, I at least see the logic behind it.

But we really don’t have the traffic volume to support separate positional subforums.   :P

(Yes, I do know what you meant.  Just couldn’t resist.)

Cowboys reporter Marcus Mosher reports second-year UDFA Blake Jarwin worked as Dallas' No. 1 tight end during OTAs and minicamp.

According to Mosher, Rico Gathers "barely gets any snaps in practice." Gathers hasn't played a single snap since being drafted in 2016 but flashed big-time potential last preseason only for the Cowboys to ask him to bulk up and improve his blocking this year. It sounds like Jarwin is the preferred pass-catching option, with Gathers competing for snaps as an in-line blocker. Jarwin showed some Jacob Tamme-esque traits as a walk-on at Oklahoma State.

Related: Rico Gathers

Source: Marcus Mosher on Twitter 

Jun 20 - 9:39 AM

I've been keeping my eye on Blake all offseason. Even before the news that Faust just posted I made sure to grab Blake in every league that I could. I think he may be the real deal. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks at the WR position and if someone can step up at TE and I believe that Blake has a real good shot of doing just that then he could help fantasy teams out.

krsone21 said:
I've been keeping my eye on Blake all offseason. Even before the news that Faust just posted I made sure to grab Blake in every league that I could. I think he may be the real deal. The Cowboys have a lot of question marks at the WR position and if someone can step up at TE and I believe that Blake has a real good shot of doing just that then he could help fantasy teams out.
I'm starting to wish I grabbed him in more than the one I did.  Total rebuild of a team so was afforded the "home run swing" that he appeared to be a few weeks back.

I'm starting to wish I grabbed him in more than the one I did.  Total rebuild of a team so was afforded the "home run swing" that he appeared to be a few weeks back.
I almost waited to long myself. I play in dynasty leagues with very deep benches so I eventually told myself he is well worth the risk and if worse came to worse I can always cut him for someone else later on. For how cheap I was able to get him I think it's well worth the risk.

He will have a big opportunity so he's worth a flyer but it's really digging deep on a TE with 19 receptions, undrafted and then starting as a rookie TE. The Cowboys really have the worst pass catching options I may have ever seen in the NFL. 

He will have a big opportunity so he's worth a flyer but it's really digging deep on a TE with 19 receptions, undrafted and then starting as a rookie TE. The Cowboys really have the worst pass catching options I may have ever seen in the NFL. 
Which just means someone has to step up. Worst case, we grab some of them & they don't pan out. Drop em for another ww guy during the season.

Which just means someone has to step up. Worst case, we grab some of them & they don't pan out. Drop em for another ww guy during the season.
Oh yeah, the cost is so low for every Cowboy pass catcher that it's worth taking a flyer on one of them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Define "step up"

Those Eagles squads of the early 2000s didn't have a receiver or tight end step up IMO. It was a bunch of highly distributed mediocrity. In magic football they were essentially desperation plays and ploys to motivate Tatum Bell.

James Thrash

Todd Pinkston

Freddie Mitchell

Chad Lewis

L.J. Smith
Or the Eagles of 2 years ago:

Nelson Agholor (before he found his position in the slot)

Jordan Matthews

Dorial Beckham-Green

Josh Huff

Zach Ertz

Other than Ertz, Those guys were not very good

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' website believes Blake Jarwin has been "the most impressive" tight end at training camp.

The Cowboys have puffed up Jarwin as their Witten replacement. Geoff Swaim is Dallas' best in-line blocker, but Jarwin is the favorite to open the year in a starting role. With targets up for grabs in the Cowboys' offense, Jarwin's pass game role is worth monitoring.

Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter 

Aug 1 - 6:52 PM

BIG game from him! Wow!!!
I started a thread in advance of last week's games about "Willie Parker Award nominees", trying to anticipate whose Week 17 performance might foreshadow a breakout the following season. After the early games I jokingly said, "Blake Jarwin it is," but now I'm wondering if that might actually be the case. Will be curious to see how the Cowboys' TE depth chart shakes out next season. My understanding is that he couldn't beat out Swaim this year and only got an opportunity when Swaim was sent to IR.

I started a thread in advance of last week's games about "Willie Parker Award nominees", trying to anticipate whose Week 17 performance might foreshadow a breakout the following season. After the early games I jokingly said, "Blake Jarwin it is," but now I'm wondering if that might actually be the case. Will be curious to see how the Cowboys' TE depth chart shakes out next season. My understanding is that he couldn't beat out Swaim this year and only got an opportunity when Swaim was sent to IR.

You gotta remember you’re talking about the Cowboys who want a traditional jack-of-all-trades TE. That’s Swain. Good at everything but not great at anything. 

Jarwin had some bad luck the first 1/4 of the season but has been developing nicely. They’re high on him as a receiver and the Eagles thought enough of him to try to steal him away last season. 

You gotta remember you’re talking about the Cowboys who want a traditional jack-of-all-trades TE. That’s Swain. Good at everything but not great at anything. 

Jarwin had some bad luck the first 1/4 of the season but has been developing nicely. They’re high on him as a receiver and the Eagles thought enough of him to try to steal him away last season. 
Thanks, that's helpful. I only play redraft so this is all more of the "file it away for next August" variety of into. I guess keep an eye on the depth chart coming out of training camp. But if he's not getting the majority of the snaps he's probably not worth even a late-round flier.

Cowboys shouldn't draft a TE this year. I think they should stand pat with what they got there and address other issues such as the possible loss of Cole, La'el, and/or David Irving. They should also address SS, FS, and maybe even C if Frederick's future is unclear. 

I can get down with it, but tbh, I think there will be bigger needs. Cowboys might lose their staring RT, a good slot guy like Cole, and still need help at SS and FS. Team also needs a true backup RB, but TE is a priority? Man, I hope that's a smokescreen.
What?

Cowboys shouldn't draft a TE this year. I think they should stand pat with what they got there and address other issues such as the possible loss of Cole, La'el, and/or David Irving. They should also address SS, FS, and maybe even C if Frederick's future is unclear. 
They definitely should not but dumb Jerry thinks they need one. He's a meddler, a horrible talent evaluator and cannot see that Jarwin is coming into his own. Look for them to waste a top pick.

They definitely should not but dumb Jerry thinks they need one. He's a meddler, a horrible talent evaluator and cannot see that Jarwin is coming into his own. Look for them to waste a top pick.
Before I respond further I just wanna ask you if you want to continue this narrative or maybe rethink this position?

It's hilarious if the Cowboys really think that Jarwin has upside but isnt ready yet, but that a rookie tight end will be ready right away. 

How often is a rookie TE ready in their first year? 
In answer to your question on rookie TE's being ready I'd say not often, at least not as receivers.  A little improvement in last few years out of rookie TE's but still one of the most difficult positions for rookies to acclimate.

But my takeaway from what he said was a little different and maybe because I happened to be listening to it when he came on the radio. But key to note is he said Jarwin has the most upside of the group, did not really say he has high upside just most of the current group. To my ears he was trying to politely say Jarwin is the best one we got now,  but he thinks they can do better.

It's hilarious if the Cowboys really think that Jarwin has upside but isnt ready yet, but that a rookie tight end will be ready right away. 

How often is a rookie TE ready in their first year? 
Not often at all.

I like Jarwin's development and think he's more ready than Schultz right now. But with the way Dak plays, TE shouldn't be a big need. What the team needs is to make sure that Beasley comes back, a SS, a FS, a backup RB, and ideally a DT that can anchor the line against the run. A NT in Marinelli's system can go a long long way.

Blake Jarwin caught his lone target for a 42-yard touchdown in the Cowboys' Week 9 win over the GIants.

Of Jarwin's 12-162-3 line this season, 4-81-2 of that has come in two games against the Giants. He also caught three touchdowns last December versus the G-Men in a single game. He has no fantasy value right now behind Jason Witten.

Nov 5, 2019, 12:23 AM ET

Blake Jarwin caught 6-of-7 targets for 50 yards in the Cowboys' Week 14 loss to the Bears.

The catches, targets and yards were all new season highs for the third-year UDFA. Four of his catches came deep into garbage time. Even with Jason Witten making zero impact, Jarwin lacks TE2 appeal in fantasy.

ESPN's Todd Archer reports the Cowboys are likely to use the second-round tender on restricted free agent TE Blake Jarwin.

The move would cost Dallas an expected $3.3 million. Jarwin has averaged a robust 8.7 yards per target over the past two seasons, while old man Jason Witten averaged just 6.4 yards per target in 2019. It's clear Jarwin opens up this offense with his ability to stretch defenses down the seam, but it remains to be seen if the Cowboys are willing to either cut ties with Witten, or at the very least give him a reduced role.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter

Mar 2, 2020, 3:06 PM ET

Cowboys signed TE Blake Jarwin to a three-year, $24.25 million contract extension.

Jarwin gets $9.25 million guaranteed per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. It's a good deal for the 25-year-old emerging tight end who should now be viewed as the Cowboys' starter in 2020, assuming Jason Witten signs elsewhere. In a reserved role last season, Jarwin averaged 8.9 yards per target while operating as a field stretcher down the seam. There's some fantasy football sleeper appeal here, especially if Amari Cooper can't be re-signed.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 2:02 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread