What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (4 Viewers)

icehouse said:
Chiefs dropped in my league.  I guess cuz of the upcoming bye.  Must add?
I am considering dropping them as well as I also have the Rams. They’ve been solid (Not exceptional) so far, but matchups going forward aren’t great. They’ve had 2 big weeks so far (28 points off the back of a pick 6 and kick return vs Denver being the standout). Carolina with McK coming back, then a bye. Not many juicy matchups on the back end of the bye. The fact that they only scored 10 points (1 sack) vs. the Jets last week was a disappointment. I don’t know what else is on your wire, but I wouldn’t consider them a must add.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had NE most the year. Will ride them this week. Just picked up Mia. After this week will try for Seattle and drop NE.try to ride Mia and Sea the rest of the way.
I am doing this. At 7-1 in my big money league, I have the luxury of looking ahead a bit. Playing the Titans D this week (against da bears), but then rolling with the Dolphins in weeks 10-12 (home against the Chargers, then away at Denver and at the Jets), then coming with the Seahawks in weeks 13 and 14 (home against the Giants and then home against the Jets----"Yahtzee !")and probably in week 15 as well at the WFT. 

I'll worry about week 16 if and when I get there. 

I like Seattle's schedule but I'm not confident in their ability to take advantage of it. They've played mostly weak teams so far and are currently ranked 23rd in scoring in my league, averaging 1.7 points per game out of 10 possible.
Adams coming back this week will definitely help

Great article my friend, 2nd article is gold. Made the game this week way more interesting to see if that theory pans out
Are you playing the Miami D? I’d like to play them in order to keep them for the rest of the schedule. If not I’d have to play the Chargers which I’d rather not do either. 

Are you playing the Miami D? I’d like to play them in order to keep them for the rest of the schedule. If not I’d have to play the Chargers which I’d rather not do either. 
I have them and Giants. Giants do well with our scoring system. If phins do well this week I’ll ditch the giants 

NE seems like a great start.   The Jets are historically horrible.   
I managed to get NE off waivers. This Flacco news has me salivating at the bit, BUT... the last time I was in this scenario playing against Flacco he didn’t turn the ball over or take too many sacks. He was almost TOO safe to promote fantasy defensive points.

This is a thread I've been following weekly for many years.

This year I have PIT in both leagues and it has been set it and forget it so far. I don't see that changing. Even against tougher match ups they have come through. I'll take the projected and actual points for the ROS and don't have to play streaming game. Now I can obsess on Flex starts instead lol. 

As soon as PIT does anything on D/ST it's BLITZBURGH. 

Kindaa of a juicy match up on paper this week. How much of a blow will Tomlin keep applying and for how long seems to be the only concern.

This is a thread I've been following weekly for many years.

This year I have PIT in both leagues and it has been set it and forget it so far. I don't see that changing. Even against tougher match ups they have come through. I'll take the projected and actual points for the ROS and don't have to play streaming game. Now I can obsess on Flex starts instead lol. 

As soon as PIT does anything on D/ST it's BLITZBURGH. 

Kindaa of a juicy match up on paper this week. How much of a blow will Tomlin keep applying and for how long seems to be the only concern.
Same, seems like I am always looking in this thread even when I have a good defense. 

I jumped on the Miami Dolphins when they were cut, they have playmakers and still need more but they're getting stronger and better to the point I am almost as excited if not more when they take the field. Since I grabbed them they have been amazing with wins vs SF, NYJ and also the Rams last week producing 24 in my league, that's a huge impact out of nowhere on a Sunday.

Ranked 6th, only on 62% of rosters at RT. 

Anyone got the Stones to start the Jets vs New England? 

Same, seems like I am always looking in this thread even when I have a good defense. 

I jumped on the Miami Dolphins when they were cut, they have playmakers and still need more but they're getting stronger and better to the point I am almost as excited if not more when they take the field. Since I grabbed them they have been amazing with wins vs SF, NYJ and also the Rams last week producing 24 in my league, that's a huge impact out of nowhere on a Sunday.

Ranked 6th, only on 62% of rosters at RT. 

Anyone got the Stones to start the Jets vs New England? 
You may have just shifted my DraftKings D/ST play from NYG to MIA with J Howard in the Flex at $4,000.Dolphins at $2.800 playing ARI on the road. I generally like to avoid road teams, but, what the heck... sounding like Bloom lol.

You may have just shifted my DraftKings D/ST play from NYG to MIA with J Howard in the Flex at $4,000.Dolphins at $2.800 playing ARI on the road. I generally like to avoid road teams, but, what the heck... sounding like Bloom lol.
Howard must see work with the other 2 RBs OUT today, I think it will be positive as he is asked to be the lead today. He is healthy and well rested. 

Houston has had a lot of pretty good teams already and has a pretty easy second half, anything here or do they stink?
Soooo tempted to grab Houston against the rookie QB, but this Houston D really isn't good. 

In addition, they're missing Roby in the secondary and I think a couple of starting lineman.

Don't love my NYG D matchup, but having a hard time rolling the dice with Houston. Feels like a trap.

Soooo tempted to grab Houston against the rookie QB, but this Houston D really isn't good. 

In addition, they're missing Roby in the secondary and I think a couple of starting lineman.

Don't love my NYG D matchup, but having a hard time rolling the dice with Houston. Feels like a trap.
I agree but I'm starting them anyway. Not many options. I could always start Miami as I stashed them. 

HOU Defense vs. Jacksonville historical....a floor of 3 sacks.  If your league scores for PA and YA, Houston has been a strong play over the last three years

2020 Wk 5 at HOU (Minshew)   2 TOs, 4 sacks, 14 Pts Allowed, 364 Yds Allowed

2019 Wk 2 at HOU (Minshew)  1 TO, 4 sacks, 12 Pts Allowed, 281 Yds Allowed

2019 Wk 9 at Jax (Minshew)   4 TO, 4 sacks, 3 Pts Allowed, 356 Yds Allowed

2018 Wk 7 at Jax (Bortles/Kessler)  3 TO, 4 sacks, 7 Pts Allowed, 259 Yds Allowed

2018 Wk 17 at HOU (Bortles)  2 TO, 3 sacks, 3 Pts Allowed, 119 Yds Allowed
Apologies to anyone who was swayed by my data dump...the Texans defense just plain stinks

Dropped Miami and the Rams for Chargers and Philly. Chargers’ defense really sucks. Maybe nobody will pick Miami back up after allowing all these points to Arizona today.

apologies to anyone who picked the Football Team over the Titans.  I did as well...the 5 sacks were the only thing that made it ok at all. (and was really my logic behind picking them over TN who had not put pressure on QBs).

apologies to anyone who picked the Football Team over the Titans.  I did as well...the 5 sacks were the only thing that made it ok at all. (and was really my logic behind picking them over TN who had not put pressure on QBs).
You are not alone.  I picked them up for a great match up against the Giants and ok matchups over the next few weeks.   I don’t have much confidence now.   

You are not alone.  I picked them up for a great match up against the Giants and ok matchups over the next few weeks.   I don’t have much confidence now.   
Sure...but the sacks help...you know that should at least keep them scoring a few points as a defense with the upside of better days.

So is NO Def for real?  I'm sure last night may have been an aberration.  But they looked pretty sound.  Did they get players back from injury?  They get a Car Offense that could be missing CMC this weekend.

Peak said:
So is NO Def for real?  I'm sure last night may have been an aberration.  But they looked pretty sound.  Did they get players back from injury?  They get a Car Offense that could be missing CMC this weekend.
I'm interested in the same question.  They have definitely piqued my interest.

DocHolliday said:
Third guy here who picked up WFT -- man, that was a sour outcome. Are you holding them seeing this as an "Any Given Sunday" for their great match ups coming up? Or are you dumping them?

Peak said:
I'm still hesitant. They have had two HUGE fantasy scoring days -- both against TB, once in WK 1 and this past weekend. In between, they've averaged 2.6 FFPPG in my league. 

They are still strong against the run and generate sacks, but they have really allowed teams to rack up points and yards against them

With SF, ATLx2, KC, and MIN left on their schedule, not sure I am buying into them based on what they do just against Brady.

Please tell me Seattle can pull it together for the fantasy stretch run. Weeks 12-16 are so juicy! 

@ PHI

VS NYG

VS NYJ

@ WAS

VS LAR
You see what Josh Allen did to them after looking terrible the last 3 weeks? 

Philly and NYG will put up points on them. The true test is the Jets. But I have yet to see that defense stop anyone this year. 

Do you think the addition of Dunlap and the return of Adams revive this Sea D or are they paper tigers?
They didn't help much this past Sunday against Buffalo.  They did get 7 sacks I think - maybe if they bring the same pressure on a more easily rattled QB that makes a difference.  Also Wilson had a bad game himself with 4 turnovers.  Bills had a comfortable lead the entire game.  I doubt that happens against the Jets or G Men

They didn't help much this past Sunday against Buffalo.  They did get 7 sacks I think - maybe if they bring the same pressure on a more easily rattled QB that makes a difference.  Also Wilson had a bad game himself with 4 turnovers.  Bills had a comfortable lead the entire game.  I doubt that happens against the Jets or G Men
Exactly. Adams and Carrol were getting into it on the sidelines. Total circus. Until they show an ability to put up even a slight resistance to a passing game, I don’t know how you can trust them. The only matchup as of now I’d be comfortable using them against would be the Jets, and if they faced Flacco like he was playing tonight, even he could carve them up.

Third guy here who picked up WFT -- man, that was a sour outcome. Are you holding them seeing this as an "Any Given Sunday" for their great match ups coming up? Or are you dumping them?

I'm still hesitant. They have had two HUGE fantasy scoring days -- both against TB, once in WK 1 and this past weekend. In between, they've averaged 2.6 FFPPG in my league. 

They are still strong against the run and generate sacks, but they have really allowed teams to rack up points and yards against them

With SF, ATLx2, KC, and MIN left on their schedule, not sure I am buying into them based on what they do just against Brady.
I could see a classic letdown game for NO after that destruction of the TB offense in a big division win.

SF could be getting some weapons back...Aiyuk, Mostert, Samuel. Plus, Mullens with more practice time. And that SF team was decimated by Covid last week. I'd expect SF to fight in this game.

Still targeting NO D in waivers as I only have NYG (vs PHI).

Also targeting PHI D at home against the NYG.

I think Philly at home this week versus Danny Ten Cent Piece is the play if they are out there. 

Pay no mind to Danny’s performance against the Skins. He is somehow 4-0 against my team and 1-17 vs everyone else. Maybe it’s something personal about “the league done messed up” Haskins. I’m sure he’ll be back to his pick throwing ways this week. Eagles off a bye with two weeks to prepare for this clown. I like their chances to do some damage this week.

I think Philly at home this week versus Danny Ten Cent Piece is the play if they are out there. 

Pay no mind to Danny’s performance against the Skins. He is somehow 4-0 against my team and 1-17 vs everyone else. Maybe it’s something personal about “the league done messed up” Haskins. I’m sure he’ll be back to his pick throwing ways this week. Eagles off a bye with two weeks to prepare for this clown. I like their chances to do some damage this week.
It's in NJ. Not that that matters much but just wanted to clear that up.

It's in NJ. Not that that matters much but just wanted to clear that up.
Good to know. I missed that. Doesn’t change how I feel about them though. As a Birds fan, any thoughts on them this week? You guys seem to still have a decent pass rush, but LB unit and secondary springing more leaks than usual. 

Good to know. I missed that. Doesn’t change how I feel about them though. As a Birds fan, any thoughts on them this week? You guys seem to still have a decent pass rush, but LB unit and secondary springing more leaks than usual. 
Defense has been solid against bad QBs. The bye will help since they should be rested. It will obviously help more if the offense gets right so they don't have short fields and 3 and outs to deal with. Should be a solid game for them. 

Please tell me Seattle can pull it together for the fantasy stretch run. Weeks 12-16 are so juicy! 

@ PHI

VS NYG

VS NYJ

@ WAS

VS LAR
I think there is a lot of turn over potential provided by those east coast teams.

I don't think Seattle has the horses to capitalize on it.

Birds Defense is top ten in almost every category but in one of the more crucial FF point-producing stats-turnovers-they blow goats.  Their pass rush is one of the best in the league.  No return TD's and I think only 3 defensive TDs this year

ETA I picked them up for their games against Dallas and NYG which paid dividends the first game and expect to the second game

Trying to decide between TEN or NO for this week. Both played well. TEN looked better and may get Clowney back.

Trying to decide between TEN or NO for this week. Both played well. TEN looked better and may get Clowney back.
Tennessee's D played against a terrible Bears offensive line and dominated. I wouldn't put too much stock into that game. NO's D is legit.  The Saints D is starting to look good and they have a good matchup against SF

I am straight up not getting the love for the Saints.

Yes, they are hot right now.

But they have not given up less than 23 points in all their games previous to last week, have 4 INTs prior to last week when they got 3 in a game, one DTD on the year and only 2 fumbles recovered in weeks 1 and 2.

They are still a solid D from an NFL perspective, but why should they be trusted when they haven't really produced fantasy-wise all year?

We can all agree at this point that the Patriots do not have a good defense, right? Started them this last week against the Jets and lost my matchup because of it. If you can’t put up decent fantasy points against the Jets, I think you’re basically un-rosterable.

We can all agree at this point that the Patriots do not have a good defense, right? Started them this last week against the Jets and lost my matchup because of it. If you can’t put up decent fantasy points against the Jets, I think you’re basically un-rosterable.
Who the heck knows.  Good defenses are tough to find even against bad teams like the Jets.  

Me too

Theyre dead to me

Users who are viewing this thread