What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (5 Viewers)

Bengals at home vs MIA, and they get Burfict back this week, who should be a real difference maker. MIA scores what, 12-Ish per game? 

CAR at home is the jackpot start, well rested off the BYE against a leaky NYG OL. I’m thinking they force a couple Ints, get 3-4 sacks and hold the Giants under 16.  :shrug:
CAR better than DEN against NYJ?

Bengals at home vs MIA, and they get Burfict back this week, who should be a real difference maker. MIA scores what, 12-Ish per game? 

CAR at home is the jackpot start, well rested off the BYE against a leaky NYG OL. I’m thinking they force a couple Ints, get 3-4 sacks and hold the Giants under 16.  :shrug:
Wonder about Cinci as a potential hold to pair with other streamers going forward because of Burtict's return.

Opponents have not scored less than 21 on them so far this season, and they were torched last week but Jackson and Kirkpatrick can be solid in the defensive backfield, and Shawn Williams seems to be stepping up in the safety.

Wondering if they are turning into a hold and stream D like the kind of D I hoped the Chargers could be this season -- we clearly see how the loss of one player in Bosa has affected them. 

Wonder about Cinci as a potential hold to pair with other streamers going forward because of Burtict's return.

Opponents have not scored less than 21 on them so far this season, and they were torched last week but Jackson and Kirkpatrick can be solid in the defensive backfield, and Shawn Williams seems to be stepping up in the safety.

Wondering if they are turning into a hold and stream D like the kind of D I hoped the Chargers could be this season -- we clearly see how the loss of one player in Bosa has affected them. 
I ended up grabbing/holding Cinci/Carolina - their combined schedules give them a couple of really solid matchup.

i know CLE isn’t a pushover, but rookies gonna rookie, so I still like their week 12/16 matchups against the Browns. Panthers get some nice matchups as well.

it depends on scoring too - both D/ST should get a lot of pressure on the QB, and that can force some Ints - but both can be prone to allowing points, as you’d indicated. 

That said, I think CAR is WYSIWYG, while CIN is on the up-tick. 

Their upcoming schedule isn't great:

• Mia
  • Pit
  • @KC
  • TB
  • BYE
  • NO
  • @Bal
  • Cle
  • Den
  • @LAC
  • Oak
  • @Cle
Steelers aren't as good on the road, and maybe TB if you assume a dropoff with Jameis. But Cleveland, Denver and Oakland are the only plus match-ups remaining, and even those aren't necessarily slam dunks. So basically, I'm not going to feel super comfortable starting them until maybe Week 12.

Going with Bills home vs Titans. Bills D has been good the last 2 weeks on the road against much better offenses. 

Their upcoming schedule isn't great:

• Mia
  • Pit
  • @KC
  • TB
  • BYE
  • NO
  • @Bal
  • Cle
  • Den
  • @LAC
  • Oak
  • @Cle
Steelers aren't as good on the road, and maybe TB if you assume a dropoff with Jameis. But Cleveland, Denver and Oakland are the only plus match-ups remaining, and even those aren't necessarily slam dunks. So basically, I'm not going to feel super comfortable starting them until maybe Week 12.
I agree, but also consider even in a non-plus matchup they will have a 6-10 point floor for their ability to get to the passer. 

IMO when streaming it’s that floor that I’m most concerned with. 

Wonder about NE as a one off. A banged up, exhausted Colts O on a short week without Hilton and Doyle + a bunch of players questionable. 
Maybe a C+? I think Luck still finds a way to drive this team to 300+ APY & 2 tds, plus a couple FGs. 

Indy is at home, and NEP isn’t a particularly opportunistic defense. Maybe 1 sack, 1 Int? 

As a road start I’m not high on it, especially on a short week which tends to favor offenses. 

Picked up the Jets but feel very unconvinced. I keep coming back to wanting Cinci given Burfict’s return, or GB?  Not obvious. 

Maybe a C+? I think Luck still finds a way to drive this team to 300+ APY & 2 tds, plus a couple FGs. 

Indy is at home, and NEP isn’t a particularly opportunistic defense. Maybe 1 sack, 1 Int? 

As a road start I’m not high on it, especially on a short week which tends to favor offenses. 
It’s in NE

Picked up the Jets but feel very unconvinced. I keep coming back to wanting Cinci given Burfict’s return, or GB?  Not obvious. 
I’m sticking with Cinci as my primary because I’ve had them targeted as top 12 since preseason & they’ve been decent. And IMO they’ll improve with Burfict. He’s a playmaker. 

But having a second / streamer isn’t a bad idea for the worst of the matchups. Still, I think Cinci has had sacks/picks in every game. And the games they’ve given up points, it’s been against good offenses. 

I’m sticking with Cinci as my primary because I’ve had them targeted as top 12 since preseason & they’ve been decent. And IMO they’ll improve with Burfict. He’s a playmaker. 

But having a second / streamer isn’t a bad idea for the worst of the matchups. Still, I think Cinci has had sacks/picks in every game. And the games they’ve given up points, it’s been against good offenses. 
Agree.  I think Cinci is underrated.  Bad matchups are 50% of their sample size after 4 games.

Agree.  I think Cinci is underrated.  Bad matchups are 50% of their sample size after 4 games.
And IMO they’ll capitalize well on their good matchups. 

Part of streaming D’s or settling for bottom of the barrel means you’ll never get the ceiling of a MIN or LAR.  

All I want from a D/ST is consistent points. If they can average 10 I’m happy. If there’s room for more, even better. 

More evidence for the case to start CIN this week:

Miami's offensive line is now beat up with center Daniel Kilgore (chest) joining left guard Josh Sitton (shoulder) as out for the season. Along with that, Cincinnati is expected to get linebacker Vontaze Burfict back from his four-game suspension for this matchup

this defense should eat Tannehill’s lunch all day. I’m starting to talk myself into starting them over CAR, though NYG is leaky as well. 

Playing merry-go-round and dropped Chargers for Pats for this week thinking Indy lacks weapons this week.  Luiget is back for Chargers I think, so I may need to reconsider 

Last edited by a moderator:
Some problems with the SF DST hype (against AZ):

Arizona played two elite and one strong defense to start the season (WSH, LAR, CHI).  It skewed the numbers to the point that they look like a much bigger target than they really are.

Also, their offense could barely handle a three and out during that run.  Rosen made his first start last week and it was a big improvement as far as scoring points and moving the chains.

If the AZ offense that’s actually going to play was understood better I think you’d see a lot less SF DST hype this week.

Some problems with the SF DST hype (against AZ):

Arizona played two elite and one strong defense to start the season (WSH, LAR, CHI).  It skewed the numbers to the point that they look like a much bigger target than they really are.

Also, their offense could barely handle a three and out during that run.  Rosen made his first start last week and it was a big improvement as far as scoring points and moving the chains.

If the AZ offense that’s actually going to play was understood better I think you’d see a lot less SF DST hype this week.
I was coming here to say that of the two I’d rather have AZ. They’ve got a solid pass-rush, and Beathard isn’t exactly a superstar. 

Carss D is a fine start this week. 

anybody feeling NE @ home vs Indy (w/out T.Y. Hilton) this week?

Also considering Cinci @ home vs Miami.  Burfact is back. 

The pickings are slim.  Who you got? and why?

anybody feeling NE @ home vs Indy (w/out T.Y. Hilton) this week?

Also considering Cinci @ home vs Miami.  Burfact is back. 

The pickings are slim.  Who you got? and why?
I just pulled the trigger on NE and dumped AZ (@SF). Hate away dog D's. Was tempted by Cinci.

Have a gut feel that NE is going to absolutely crush Indy tonight. Short week, NE getting weapons BACK while Indy is LOSING weapons left and right.

I  could see Luck throwing for 300+ but it could be all dink and dunk. 

Just have this feeling that by late 3rd quarter, it's blowout city, there's a chance for a defensive TD, and by 10:30 EST people are turning off the TV in a 34-10 blowout.

What is up with Denver....currently low in scoring but they rank high in REST OF YEAR rankings on multiple fronts.  Anyone think they "get it on" soon???

What is up with Denver....currently low in scoring but they rank high in REST OF YEAR rankings on multiple fronts.  Anyone think they "get it on" soon???

Here is a closer look at their performance against the Chiefs:

Broncos 3rd and long: letting one slip away against the Chiefs

Von Miller praising Sam Darnold:

Broncos LB Von Miller has high praise for Jets QB Sam Darnold

It is a road game but you have to think that Miller and Chubb are looking forward to coming after a rookie QB.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
And IMO they’ll capitalize well on their good matchups. 

Part of streaming D’s or settling for bottom of the barrel means you’ll never get the ceiling of a MIN or LAR.  

All I want from a D/ST is consistent points. If they can average 10 I’m happy. If there’s room for more, even better. 
Are we still considering MIN one of the "elite" defenses though? in 1 of my leagues they were flat out dropped. 

Was considering picking them up, but don't really see them as much better than the top streaming options (at least this week).

Are we still considering MIN one of the "elite" defenses though? in 1 of my leagues they were flat out dropped. 

Was considering picking them up, but don't really see them as much better than the top streaming options (at least this week).
Not elite but better than the stats say 4 games in.  I’d give them a hard look if they dropped in my wire

Not elite but better than the stats say 4 games in.  I’d give them a hard look if they dropped in my wire
I hear ya and agree... don't think they're elite any longer, but don't think they're as bad as the last few game have proven either. 

I'm honestly torn if they're closer to the "streamers" or the "top end - hold onto" defenses though. For instance, this week, i could see all of the below out performing them:

• Titans
  • 49ers
  • Jets
  • Bengals

If the Titans D is the top defense from here on out I wouldn’t be surprised.  That team is on the rise and they like low scoring slug fests.

Phantom Knight said:
Horrible decision.

Game script was exactly how I expected it to play out. Unfortunately, the NE pass D flat out stinks.

Eric Ebron looked like Kelce out there.

Have to sub in for the Bears this week and pickings are slim.  Any consensus on which of these is best for just one week?  Bills, Jets, Packers, Dolphins, Browns, Saints

I'm leaning towards the Jets hoping that Denver coming east on a short week makes things tough for them.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Vikings DE Everson Griffen (personal) is not expected to return "anytime soon."

Griffen left the team on September 20 to address his mental health struggles. Coach Mike Zimmer said there's still "no clarity" surrounding his return. Griffen has quietly emerged as one of the league's top pass-rushers, clearing double-digit sacks in three of his last four seasons. His absence has already been felt as the Vikings have lost two straight without him while struggling to pressure opposing quarterbacks.

Source: ESPN.com 

Oct 7 - 11:20 AM

Have to sub in for the Bears this week and pickings are slim.  Any consensus on which of these is best for just one week?  Bills, Jets, Packers, Dolphins, Browns, Saints

I'm leaning towards the Jets hoping that Denver coming east on a short week makes things tough for them.
I would go with the Pack.  While they're likely to give up a lot of points to Stafford, they got a ton of points on D last week and Detroit has been pretty favorable for D's so far this year (despite scoring a lot of points).

Well Denver is going swimmingly.  And just to rub salt in the womb, I dropped Anderson to get them because I didn’t want to give up chi.

ptts

Anyone sticking with Carolina this week @ Wash? Other options for me are GB vs SF, Indy vs NYJ (or vice versa), or OAK vs Seattle. Leaning Carolina because I think they're the best defense (although I'm not putting a lot of stock in Washington's MNF meltdown; I think they'll rebound.)

Users who are viewing this thread