What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (8 Viewers)

Some idiot in my 14 man dropped the bears to their bye. 

I have the panthers currently and feel they could be solid ROS but with that being said, how much would you guys bid for the bears out of a $150 FAAB? 

Some idiot in my 14 man dropped the bears to their bye. 

I have the panthers currently and feel they could be solid ROS but with that being said, how much would you guys bid for the bears out of a $150 FAAB? 
I spent 10/100 earlier this year. Haven’t regretted it yet. 

CLE's defense with turnovers is keeping them relevant in FF this year.  How long does this last?  Considering either CLE or GB this week.  Leaning heavily towards GB due to the SF injuries and poor offense.  I think they may score a little, but it won't be a lot.  Not familiar with GB and forcing turnovers.  If CLE can keep leading in turnovers, then they'll keep bringing in FF points.  Who are people starting?  The link above really dislikes CLE and has listed them in their lowest tier the last few weeks - and yet they are scoring double digits each week.  I also noticed that they leave CLE out when they discuss their last week's recap. 

Looking ahead, what are Bears owners thinking about facing NE next week? I think they might be good enough to have earned set-it-and-forget-it status, and NE offense isn't what it's been in past years. Still, it's always a little scary to have your defense facing Brady.

I could pick up someone now to spot-stream, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Looking ahead, what are Bears owners thinking about facing NE next week? I think they might be good enough to have earned set-it-and-forget-it status, and NE offense isn't what it's been in past years. Still, it's always a little scary to have your defense facing Brady.

I could pick up someone now to spot-stream, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
I'm not moving them from the starting lineup for the rest of the season.

They still put up points against Rodgers, even though he ended tearing them up in the 2nd half. I mean if you have room on your bench maybe there's better options, but I'm happy hopefully not having to worry about that position for the rest of the year.

This years' Jags IMO.

They still put up points against Rodgers, even though he ended tearing them up in the 2nd half. I mean if you have room on your bench maybe there's better options, but I'm happy hopefully not having to worry about that position for the rest of the year.

This years' Jags IMO.
I'm mostly there, just having some doubts. But yeah, having a SIAFI defense has the hidden value of giving you roster flexibility, especially when they have an early bye.

I started Carolina last week and hadn't gotten around to dropping them yet, mostly because there wasn't anyone really worth it on the WW. But maybe I should just go all-in.

This years' Jags IMO.
By the way, just looked at the schedule. I hadn't realize they play the Rams in Week 14. That will be a serious gut-check, far more than the Pats. If you don't think you have the stomach for it and want to plan ahead, Carolina plays @ Cleveland that week, Denver plays @ SF and Jets play @ Buffalo. 

Someone dropped the Vikings D in my 14 man. Currently have Carolina and was wanting to roll them ROS but heavily debating swapping over since Vikings play Arizona this week. Thoughts?

Vikings have played terrible in several games this year. 

nighttime90 said:
Someone dropped the Vikings D in my 14 man. Currently have Carolina and was wanting to roll them ROS but heavily debating swapping over since Vikings play Arizona this week. Thoughts?

Why are you posting in here when you could be running to your waiver wire?

nighttime90 said:

I grabbed the Vikings d this week. About as good as you can expect matchup wise.

Man the Bears and Mack are going to destroy the Phins if they're led by Osweiler today.

I'll go with the Chargers vs Browns and Hawks vs Raiders today. Not great options this week. Getting and holding the Texans during their downturn for today would have been optimal.

Started the Panthers this week. Ugh! 

But looking ahead to next week, all the good match ups are bad Ds (Indy, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit). No idea what the play is.

Started the Panthers this week. Ugh! 

But looking ahead to next week, all the good match ups are bad Ds (Indy, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit). No idea what the play is.
Thinking I gotta go Indy. Don't love the idea of starting a D that just gave up 40 points to the freakin' Jets, but consider that the worst-case scenario is they face Josh Allen; best case is Peterman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting Green Bay this week but have to bench them last minute. Only up 2 and all players on both teams have played, except Green Bay D. Anyone ever done this? 

Starting Green Bay this week but have to bench them last minute. Only up 2 and all players on both teams have played, except Green Bay D. Anyone ever done this? 
I've done it before and it worked out.  I did see one guy do it in a league once when he was up .5 and a stat correction made him lose.  And are tie breakers points for/against?  Assuming only negative points for over 35 allowed, I think the odds of that are pretty slim.

Man the Bears and Mack are going to destroy the Phins if they're led by Osweiler today.

I'll go with the Chargers vs Browns and Hawks vs Raiders today. Not great options this week. Getting and holding the Texans during their downturn for today would have been optimal.
Funny league ain’t it?

Texans were drafted & dropped a couple times in my league. Got them for free & riding them - schedule is excellent.

Bears were surprising and not a stream but we may need to bench them next week vs NE. Also, Baltimore plays NO. Tough week upcoming for defenses.

Bears were surprising and not a stream but we may need to bench them next week vs NE. Also, Baltimore plays NO. Tough week upcoming for defenses.
Yeah, the best Ds have bad match-ups and the best match-ups are bad Ds (Indy, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit).

In my league where I have the Bears, I'm sticking with them. Not worth wasting a roster spot on a streamer that is no sure thing.

Also, I'm not panicking over Chicago's crappy performance yesterday. It was just one of those any-given-Sunday kind of days. Heading into yesterday the two locks were Chicago against the Brockening and Jax against Dallas' moribund offense. 

Have GB for now, but looking at replacements for Week 7.  Not much out there.  Looking at possibly Car or NO.  Maybe NE?

Yeah, the best Ds have bad match-ups and the best match-ups are bad Ds (Indy, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit).
Yeah, I checked the wire and that's exactly the case in both my leagues. Yuck. Looks like I'm rolling out Arizona again in one league and kind of praying in another. Arizona, who is seventh in Football Outsiders' DVOA and might not be losing the field position game quite so badly with Rosen at the helm and even though they switched schemes, finished up strong last year though they lost three guys. Basically, they're not doormats is all I'm saying. 

BTW, stat to keep an eye on with Carolina: in their three home games the DST has averaged 11.33 FFPG. In their two road games it's been 2.

Ridiculously small sample size, so I'm definitely not recommending this should be your sole criterion when deciding whether to start them, but it may inform your decision making (for example, the fact that they're @ Philly this week nudges me into viewing them a definite stay-away next week).

THoughts on the Rams moving forward? They've been pretty mediocre these last few weeks. I typically only carry one DST so I didn't think I needed a 2nd unit. 
Been riding them all year and frankly don't trust them.  And again this week they are seen a a top 3 D.  I'm considering the Bolts vs. the Titans in London instead.

looking for a replacement for bears this week.  cant play them vs ne.

maybe ne @ bears?
Have the same issue. My targets:

* DEN @AZ -- Picked them up last week after seeing CHI/NE matchup. Don't love them on the road and DJ may be able to gash them,  but still, AZ is last in like everything offensively.

* Indy vs BUF -- N. Peterman could be at QB. Indy D looks downright horrible though. Could see McCoy awaken here.

* LAC vs TN -- London game. Scary things could happen.

* BUF @Indy -- BUF is a legitimate good D, but Luck is putting up points/yards.

* WASH vs DAL -- Both Ds. Washington seems underrated on D and don't believe what I saw in Dallas offense yesterday. Dallas D is legit, but on the road.

Holding Ravens for now, even though their schedule looks not as favorable ROS, and looking to platoon with streamers based on match ups. Some available Ds in my league I'm looking at:

• NE @ CHI -- my primary target. Chicago can surprise, and NE did the exact opposite in terms of stopping KC, but the Bears ain't no Chiefs, and they have some pretty interesting match ups coming up: @BUF and @TEN during weeks 8-10. Was surprised to see how high their individual PFF ratings were when they were displayed during last night's game.
  • DEN @ AZ -- not sure what DEN D you'll get, their name brand has let down this year. And AZ isn't the strongest but the team can show up. Given the teams they face over the following weeks, may be a use and drop after WK 7.
  • IND vs BUF -- Buffalo was nearly dead last in PPG and dead last in overall points coming into this week, and their QB sich doesn't help. They are my prime grab and drop after week 7 candidate.
  • AZ vs DEN -- at least they are at home? I don't trust this match up at all as Denver has some offensive potential, but as @rockaction mentioned, AZ has not been terrible this year.
  • DET @ MIA -- actually, MIA is on the wire as well, but I think I trust the DET side of this match up more given the trajectory of both MIA's offense and defense recently. Ds coming off a bye have not done well so far this year, however.

BTW, stat to keep an eye on with Carolina: in their three home games the DST has averaged 11.33 FFPG. In their two road games it's been 2.

Ridiculously small sample size, so I'm definitely not recommending this should be your sole criterion when deciding whether to start them, but it may inform your decision making (for example, the fact that they're @ Philly this week nudges me into viewing them a definite stay-away next week).
Whatever D is at home is always the tiebreaker for me. Crowd helps D much more than O.

That's why I dropped CAR and played DAL this week.  Although I may hold DAL this week even though they're on the road, as I don't expect a high-scoring slugfest.

Whatever D is at home is always the tiebreaker for me. Crowd helps D much more than O.

That's why I dropped CAR and played DAL this week.  Although I may hold DAL this week even though they're on the road, as I don't expect a high-scoring slugfest.
My honest take on that is that Alex Smith and Adrian Peterson are not turning the ball over and taking sacks. They'd rather lose 24-10 than risk anything, really. AP isn't going to fumble too much, and Alex isn't going to throw pick after pick. Just not in their bones. And Jay Gruden is the perfect guy to have the ball be coming out quickly to the right guys.  

But that's one take, and my take on the game script between a few teams was really wrong last week, so...

rockaction said:
My honest take on that is that Alex Smith and Adrian Peterson are not turning the ball over and taking sacks. They'd rather lose 24-10 than risk anything, really. AP isn't going to fumble too much, and Alex isn't going to throw pick after pick. Just not in their bones. And Jay Gruden is the perfect guy to have the ball be coming out quickly to the right guys.  

But that's one take, and my take on the game script between a few teams was really wrong last week, so...
I seem to remember earlier in his career that Peterson had a rep as a fumbler, though I admit I have no idea if he's improved in recent years.

This news about Mack's ankle has me even more worried about Chicago this week. But in order to pick up Indy I'd have to drop either Dion Lewis or OJ Howard. Not sure it's worth it, especially since DST is such a crap-shoot to begin with. I think I may just take my chances with Chicago and hope for the best.

If he were ruled out for Sunday, that might shift my calculus. Of course, by that point it would be even harder to find anyone decent on the WW.

So it's looking like Derek Anderson will probably be the starter this week for the Bills.  He hasn't played much for years so I don't know if this will be an upgrade or not.  I'm sure a lot of people are tempted to pick up the Colts this week.  I have Philly going against Carolina or the Bears vs Patriots.  If I had to drop one it would be Philly but the Colts have been terrible on defense so I'm not so sure it will work out despite the Colts ranking for the week.  Any insight on how Derek Anderson may pan out?

Would love Indy, they are the sexy pick, and my brain is screaming yes.

I don't know why my gut is thinking this could backfire as turning out to be "one of those games" that totally backfires.

like the Fins putting up 31 points on the Bears...or like the Jets hanging 42 on this same Indy D. 

Momentum sometimes matters. And sometimes just one variable (Pederson or Anderson not being great) ignores another (Shady is still very good, skill-wise). 

Wondering if a team like the Broncs provides less risk due to lower variance in potential outcome.

I seem to remember earlier in his career that Peterson had a rep as a fumbler, though I admit I have no idea if he's improved in recent years.
Sometimes perception colors reality and I could be wrong. Let me check pro-football-reference.  He has notoriously fumbled according to a Google search. He was just such a good back, I assumed that wasn't the case. I was wrong. 

It's even an Onion article, according to a quick search. 

My bad. 

Thanks for correcting that.  

So it's looking like Derek Anderson will probably be the starter this week for the Bills.  He hasn't played much for years so I don't know if this will be an upgrade or not.  I'm sure a lot of people are tempted to pick up the Colts this week.  I have Philly going against Carolina or the Bears vs Patriots.  If I had to drop one it would be Philly but the Colts have been terrible on defense so I'm not so sure it will work out despite the Colts ranking for the week.  Any insight on how Derek Anderson may pan out?
Hes better than Nate Peterman. Everyone is.

Users who are viewing this thread