What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Shark Pool,

I am kicking off the 2018 version of the thread where we can discuss all things related to defensive units & team defenses for the 2018 season.

This includes discussing pairings of team defenses for those of us who don’t like to use an early pick on a defense and end up going with a platoon strategy or working the waiver wire.

Cheers,

Faust

Last edited:
these are always so tough.....seems to me that sometimes the defenses from like say 3-20 really aren't that far apart in most leagues except for one thing (return TD's)....and those are so hard to predict...

had a some Survivor leagues last year over in the Mock Draft Forum where all defenses get drafted.... teams like NOS and DET were going somewhere between DST 25-32 and yet those two finished like DST 5 and 6....

I never hold more than one team defense because it seems I start the wrong damn one EVERY TIME

I'm a streamer now
Streaming is great if you're the only one doing it. In my 12 team league, several guys stream defenses. Which means you have to waste FAAB bidding on defenses 2-3 weeks in advance. 

Have started to read up a little as Defense is overweighted in one of my leagues.  Even more than most offseasons, seems like every team is 'improved'. 

Which teams are most improved? GB, Saint, Tenn?

And which teams are going to suck this year? Indy, maybe SF? anyone else?

Posted this in the preseason observations thread, but Cleveland making a leap on defense wouldn't be shocking.  They've spent significant draft capital on that side of the ball, including Garrett last year and 4th overall pick Denzell Ward this year. as well as Jabril Peppers (though he's currently on PUP I believe).  They traded for Jamie Collins a few years ago, signed Mychal Kendricks, traded for Demarious Randall, etc.

Ogbah and Garrett on the edges should provide a solid rush.  The secondary should be much improved.  The LB corps looks solid.  MOST importantly, they don't have an offense set to put them in horrific situations game in and game out.  Tyrod and Baker are WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY better than Kizer, Kessler, and Hogan.  Heck the offense looks downright competent.

Finally, we know Gregg Williams runs an aggressive defense chasing sacks and turnovers.  That's the gold you're looking for in fantasy leagues.  I'm not advocating drafting the Browns necessarily, but I won't be surprised at all if they emerge this year.

Are there any other new coordinators to be aware of that can bump a defense this year, i.e Wade Phillips going to the Rams last year? 

We have transaction fee's. I just pick a DST with a late bye week and then try and add one of the better D's that get dropped off an early bye week (short bench)

Last year the Jaguars had 160 points format,

Rams 137, Ravens 136, Lions 125, Eagles 117, Bears 111, Chargers 109, Seahawks 107, Saints 106, Steelers 101 then 9 more teams from 83-95

We have transaction fee's. I just pick a DST with a late bye week and then try and add one of the better D's that get dropped off an early bye week (short bench)

Last year the Jaguars had 160 points format,

Rams 137, Ravens 136, Lions 125, Eagles 117, Bears 111, Chargers 109, Seahawks 107, Saints 106, Steelers 101 then 9 more teams from 83-95
The Rams are a late bye, but likely will be costly.  KC looks good for this strategy.  Both have decent playoff schedules too.

I'm liking Denver's schedule both to start the season and playoffs.  NO, Pitt, and Sea also have good Sept. schedules if you are looking to sell high.  Det, GB, and NE good playoff schedules if thinking about buying low a month in.

My DST drafting strategy:

• Avoid the headliner Ds that will go before the final two rounds. This year that's probably Jax, LAR, Minn, Philly. They are simply never worth the price.
  • Be wary of the legacy Ds that might not actually be that good this year: Seattle is the headliner, but I think this could be the year Denver starts to fall off, too.
  • Be on the lookout for Ds that are ready to make the leap, a la Jax, Philly and LAR last year. Haven't studied it too closely yet, but I have my eye on LAC, Cleveland, maybe Tenn or Chicago? Also Texans with everyone back healthy may slip under the radar
  • If there's no one available from that group, look for good Week 1 match-ups and plan on streaming. Eyeballing the schedule, I'd say Pitt (@Cleveland), Detroit (vs. NYJ), and Titans (@Miami) could be good candidates.
ETA: Other than as a tiebreaker for a close decision, I'm not in favor of looking too far beyond Week 1 in terms of SOS. The first game will scramble everything we thought we knew, and the second will re-scramble it even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pasquino just posted a pretty credible article on DTBC for subscribers.

I am definitely looking at targeting a Top 3 D (IMO Jax, Rams, Vikes in that order) earlier than usual given the bid drop-off I see after 4 or 5 or so. Either way want to avoid getting caught on the bad end of a run.

If the draft doesn't come to me like that, my DTBC approach would target two of the following:

NE/BAL/PIT as the first

CHI/KC/ARI as the second

If I can snag two in my "first" group, that would be ideal, but given the relative closeness of those team's ADP, not confident that would happen.

Chase Stuart has the DTBC article up. Not sure why he doesn't list every combination like he's done in years past. Someone ping him for "the rest..."

Baltimore has been my go to this year so far.  Good starting schedule and good defense.  I also like NE and you can get them a little later.  I want any team that gets to play the AFC East twice and doesn't have to play the Pats.

As a defense and franchise in transition, at best [Cardinals DST] are a spot starter if they catch a backup quarterback.
Then why is this team ranked top-10 in the dynasty ranks?

Want to bump this thread as it looks like I’ll be streaming to start the season, like most years.

I’m currently rostering Pitt D, but there are some decent options on the wire like Carolina, Chicago, Tennessee. Thoughts? 

Who are y’all looking to pair / start the season with?

Who do y’all have as the surprise defense? I have my eye on Cleveland. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Plan A of 2018 for me. I had great success with DBC 2012-15, but the last two years, not so much. Picked up the Ravens last year on a lark after the London (Jags) game spun out of control, rode them the rest of the year.

In the 4th week of August, I always have complete confidence in the team I’ve drafted. But just in case it turns out like 75% of past defenses I drafted, here’s my best WW options:

ATL ARI CHI DAL DET GB SEA TEN

Standing pat. Totally confident they’ll be dominate all season.

:unsure:

My best option for week 1 is Cincy in my main dynasty.  Only other one that looks decent is Wash.  Dang DST hoarders.  

My DST drafting strategy:

•  
  • If there's no one available from that group, look for good Week 1 match-ups and plan on streaming. Eyeballing the schedule, I'd say Pitt (@Cleveland), Detroit (vs. NYJ), and Titans (@Miami) could be good candidates.
ETA: Other than as a tiebreaker for a close decision, I'm not in favor of looking too far beyond Week 1 in terms of SOS. The first game will scramble everything we thought we knew, and the second will re-scramble it even more.

Ravens against Buffalo and an unknown QB is the best week 1 matchup for me

Users who are viewing this thread