What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (4 Viewers)

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Agree with the posters below that you'll want the Chargers, but for those without that luxury, I think you are on to something with the bolded. Von Miller just issued a public challenge to his own D, putting the pressure on them to reverse the 4-game lose skid they are on. I think they come out raring to stuff the run and force the Cards to be one-dimensional and get some turnovers.
I went with Denver after seeing Von Miller’s quotes.  Miller played like Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont High after Spicoli trashed his Trans Am. 

:thumbup:

Guys it could be worse I had Den D and dropped them for AZ because I thought 2 OL out would make a difference for the broncos smh, onward troops

Last edited by a moderator:
Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Agree with the posters below that you'll want the Chargers, but for those without that luxury, I think you are on to something with the bolded. Von Miller just issued a public challenge to his own D, putting the pressure on them to reverse the 4-game lose skid they are on. I think they come out raring to stuff the run and force the Cards to be one-dimensional and get some turnovers.

It's a meaningful game for both teams, and while I tend to side with the home team on TNF, and the DEN D is very susceptible compared to last year, they have been much more competitive than their record shows, as opposed to the Cards, who only are now finding a way to get DJ going, and have only Kirk as a reliable downfield weapon.

Tough call, as I've been bouncing between DEN or ARI (and even BUF) for this week, but rolling with DEN because I just see more fire on that side of the ball.
Ugh...I should've listened to my gut.  Dropped DEN for LAC just before the game.  Kicking myself this morning.  ?

Well, I took the bait....  went with LAC vs Tenn (in London)....  I just could not pull the trigger on Denver....   :wall:

Denver Def put up 38 pts in our scoring system!  For reference, a Top 10 Def in our league score 10 pts. 

Birdie048 said:
Well, I took the bait....  went with LAC vs Tenn (in London)....  I just could not pull the trigger on Denver....   :wall:

Denver Def put up 38 pts in our scoring system!  For reference, a Top 10 Def in our league score 10 pts. 
I thought the implosion we saw would happen last week. The Cards looked pretty good vs SF. The Rosen bomb to Kirk was beautiful and the D jumped on Beathard on the road. So heading home seemed like they would be competitive. I don’t think it was such an easy pick.

Picked up Miami this week and just picked up Buffalo. Appears to be a pretty good combo to alternate in the coming weeks. 

Crazy to roll the dice with CHI vs NE this week?  Dont really want to drop them but don’t really have anyone else to drop.
Similar to my situation as I have Baltimore defense. I decided to keep them playing against New Orleans and simply be happy with 6-9 points rather than play the "waiver game" for 2 weeks.

KC D next few weeks?

? DEN @ KC

9) KC @ CLE

10) ARI @ KC 
I was eyeing them for this stretch but to be hoenst, I don't think DEN or CLE presents the way this D has been playing as a favorable matchup, even FF-wise. Would wait to see Houston back in this lineup to see what happens before jumping, if at all.

Probably safer, less variable options elsewhere -- NE is definitely one I am targeting, but I think the Jets might be a sneaky play over the next few weeks -- @CHI, @MIA, @BUF. If they play stoutly against MIN this week, will definitely be taking a closer look there.

ETA: I loved the way DEN stepped up for me, but I don't trust that they are all the sudden back after multiple cruddy FF outings this year, and definitely don't trust them next week against a divisional opponent and an explosive offense like KC. I'm likely, as crazy as it sounds, dropping them back to the wire after this performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was eyeing them for this stretch but to be hoenst, I don't think DEN or CLE presents the way this D has been playing as a favorable matchup, even FF-wise. Would wait to see Houston back in this lineup to see what happens before jumping, if at all.

Probably safer, less variable options elsewhere -- NE is definitely one I am targeting, but I think the Jets might be a sneaky play over the next few weeks -- @CHI, @MIA, @BUF. If they play stoutly against MIN this week, will definitely be taking a closer look there.

ETA: I loved the way DEN stepped up for me, but I don't trust that they are all the sudden back after multiple cruddy FF outings this year, and definitely don't trust them next week against a divisional opponent and an explosive offense like KC. I'm likely, as crazy as it sounds, dropping them back to the wire after this performance.
Thanks for reminding me about the JETS. I plugged them in once and they did well. No reason not to like them and the upcoming schedule for weeks 8, 9, and 10. Plus they're highly rated ROS around #7 overall. Stream for three weeks perhaps.

What WW defenses are you guys looking at for next week?
I haven't been able to watch games this weekend, and will catch up over the early week -- I like to actually watch games to see the details of how Ds approach a game, what parts of the D (secondary, LB, up front) are doing well, have momentum, etc. to gauge matchups.

That said, here are teams I'll be looking at:

NE -- see my post above. They play @ BUF and @ TEN over next three weeks before their bye. This is one I want to watch to see if I can trust them as the Bears hung 30+ on them. Want to identify if their weakness in this game will match up well against BUF and TEN's offense.

WAS or NYG -- WAS plays the Giants, who can put up points, but play a bend/don't break style and are doing well this week against a more inferior team in DAL. Not sure how the Giants will look against the Falcons, or in general, but not like WAS is a high powered offense.

ARI/SF -- really risky, as both teams look really shaky, but ARI looks like they are reeling offensively right now; on the other side of the ball, so does SF, but hard to call which side will look better. I might stay away all together as I think this turns into a shoot out with zero D, but that could cause a lot of turnover opportunities for both teams.

Some other options that might be there for others:

IND -- highly doubt they are on people's wire coming into this week, but if they are, playing @OAK looks tasty

HOU -- not on my wire but they've been dropped this year before because of the tarnish on their name brand, and have a good match up at home vs a hapless MIA.

If PIT drops, I might look at them at home vs CLE.

Are the Rams really even a streaming option for most?

I know they were a little shaky from weeks 3-5, and they have some tough games coming up against scoring offenses like GB and the Saints next, then face off against the Hawks again who scored 31 on them in their 5th game of the season. Then the Chiefs.

I like their schedule better after their bye -- Lions, Bears, Eagles and Cards -- sound for the FF playoffs, but even then two of these teams seem they can score points, and I guess it depends on how the Bears and Cards look at that point in the season.

They are 10th overall in my league in FP for DT -- even if they are on the wire (and I doubt they are), are people confident holding and/or using them through ROS given schedule? 

What WW defenses are you guys looking at for next week?
I picked up Indy for this week, which worked out great. I may stick with them for Oakland. Every D except for Denver and Cleveland has gotten at least 8 points against them.

Other options I'm considering are Cinci (vs TB), Carolina (vs Bal) and Arizona (vs SF). Of those, I kind of like Cinci. Jameis is always good for a few turnovers.

I picked up Indy for this week, which worked out great. I may stick with them for Oakland. Every D except for Denver and Cleveland has gotten at least 8 points against them.

Other options I'm considering are Cinci (vs TB), Carolina (vs Bal) and Arizona (vs SF). Of those, I kind of like Cinci. Jameis is always good for a few turnovers.
And oh yeah, KC at home vs Denver.

zftcg said:
And oh yeah, KC at home vs Denver.
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning this way. A couple thoughts:

• They started off the season looking terrible, but they seem to be rounding into form. In two of the last three weeks (the NE game being a pretty big exception), they've performed well
  • Every year there's a team whose offense is so good, the D eventually comes along for the ride and becomes useful for fantasy; when you're up 45-10, there are lots of opportunities for sacks and INTs. Pats have done it multiple times in recent years. Other example I remember is Atlanta D two years ago.
  • They're home vs. Denver. I'm not buying that the Arizona game was any kind of meaningful turnaround. This is still a team with a lot of problems, and there's always the possibility that Keenum could get benched for Chad Kelly.

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning this way. A couple thoughts:

• They started off the season looking terrible, but they seem to be rounding into form. In two of the last three weeks (the NE game being a pretty big exception), they've performed well
  • Every year there's a team whose offense is so good, the D eventually comes along for the ride and becomes useful for fantasy; when you're up 45-10, there are lots of opportunities for sacks and INTs. Pats have done it multiple times in recent years. Other example I remember is Atlanta D two years ago.
  • They're home vs. Denver. I'm not buying that the Arizona game was any kind of meaningful turnaround. This is still a team with a lot of problems, and there's always the possibility that Keenum could get benched for Chad Kelly.
KCs next 3 games are Denver, Cle, and Arizona

Exactly. Good match-up this week, and if they do round into form could be a D you ride ROS (other than the LAR game, of course).
I so want to buy in on this as KC's woeful start to the season makes them more or less guaranteed to be on the wire and not a competitive waiver claim.

But I have a hard time shaking my mistrust -- which is why they are on the wire to begin with.

Problem is by the time they might "prove" some level of consistency against DEN, they might be gone or waiver competition is likely to heat up. 

I'm going NE -- also some good games on the horizon over next three weeks, and get to play MIA and BUF through the playoffs. Arguably not any more trustworthy, and still have a bye to contend with, but a whole half of their remaining games look like great match ups for them.

I so want to buy in on this as KC's woeful start to the season makes them more or less guaranteed to be on the wire and not a competitive waiver claim.

But I have a hard time shaking my mistrust -- which is why they are on the wire to begin with.

Problem is by the time they might "prove" some level of consistency against DEN, they might be gone or waiver competition is likely to heat up. 

I'm going NE -- also some good games on the horizon over next three weeks, and get to play MIA and BUF through the playoffs. Arguably not any more trustworthy, and still have a bye to contend with, but a whole half of their remaining games look like great match ups for them.
No argument here. If NE were available in my league I would snatch them up in a second.

Exactly. Good match-up this week, and if they do round into form could be a D you ride ROS (other than the LAR game, of course).
Looking at their ROS schedule, I'd like to amend that. They could be a good option for the next three weeks, but then you likely have to drop them (or carry two Ds) for weeks 11-12 (LAR/bye). After the bye, their schedule is OK, not great (@Oak, Bal, LAC, @Sea). Unless they really take it to the next level and I don't need the roster spot, I'll probably just drop them after Week 10.

I will be trading for DEN in any league where I can give up a bench player.  They're not going to be startable for 4 of the next 5 games (maybe all five ... Chiefs, Texans, Steelers,  Chargers, Bengals) ... but then have 49ers, Browns, Raiders during the playoffs. Yahtzee!

Found PHI sitting in the FA Pool this morning.  Nabbed them for the upcoming JAX game.  Should be a good one!

knowledge dropper said:
I grabbed Patriots before Sunday’s games for this tasty Bills matchup. 
I am coveting them on the wire, but given my priority, and the general FF awareness driven to even the most oblivious GM by SM, sites, etc., not holding my breath.

Not tons of other options past that -- teams like WAS and IND are rostered, and if they get dropped, WAS would be my next target given a more favorable match-up against the Giants (though I can see the Giants stepping up) and their tasty playoff schedule.

Am I crazy for considering SF? Great match ups in ARI, OAK, and NYG coming up, compared to the Ds I have (BAL facing CAR, PIT, bye and DEN facing KC, HOU, bye).

Also thinking of riding BAL vs CAR this week, and holding on to DEN for the long haul, but again, not sold on DEN and they both have the same bye and if I'm going to keep one D, that will be BAL until they start to consistently fade from the dominant performances they've been throwing up all year.

I am coveting them on the wire, but given my priority, and the general FF awareness driven to even the most oblivious GM by SM, sites, etc., not holding my breath.

Not tons of other options past that -- teams like WAS and IND are rostered, and if they get dropped, WAS would be my next target given a more favorable match-up against the Giants (though I can see the Giants stepping up) and their tasty playoff schedule.

Am I crazy for considering SF? Great match ups in ARI, OAK, and NYG coming up, compared to the Ds I have (BAL facing CAR, PIT, bye and DEN facing KC, HOU, bye).

Also thinking of riding BAL vs CAR this week, and holding on to DEN for the long haul, but again, not sold on DEN and they both have the same bye and if I'm going to keep one D, that will be BAL until they start to consistently fade from the dominant performances they've been throwing up all year.
I just grabed them also to cover for PHI bye (week9).

I am throwing Denver back with KC, Houston, and bye upcoming.   Arizona offense is terrible but so is the SF D.  I don’t trust SF.  I’d probably go Washington over SF.  

I am throwing Denver back with KC, Houston, and bye upcoming.   Arizona offense is terrible but so is the SF D.  I don’t trust SF.  I’d probably go Washington over SF.  
Sounds reasonable -- I actually think the SF and ARI Ds are comparable this week, but better to take ARI as the home team and as a team that's netted>50 FPS in my league, compared to the one that netted <15.

Will be keeping my eye on SF though, in case of a turnaround. They look to have a very easy SOS ROS.

How have Ds fared against TB? Thinking of CIN for this week, but with CAR also on the wire having to play them twice, wanted to get a better understanding of how TB matches up for a D fantasy-wise.

We may not have enough given that Winston is just coming back, but inquiring minds want to know.

Sounds reasonable -- I actually think the SF and ARI Ds are comparable this week, but better to take ARI as the home team and as a team that's netted>50 FPS in my league, compared to the one that netted <15.

Will be keeping my eye on SF though, in case of a turnaround. They look to have a very easy SOS ROS.
My rule of thumb is when in doubt take the team with the lowest Vegas O/U

Better options in a short bench league so I'm unloading drafted MN for:

1. PHI

2. WAS

3 KC

anyone else like KC?  yea this week isn't great, but it's at arrowhead (Keenum may implode) and then, @ CLE and Zona @ home b4 the rams.

Better options in a short bench league so I'm unloading drafted MN for:

1. PHI

2. WAS

3 KC

anyone else like KC?  yea this week isn't great, but it's at arrowhead (Keenum may implode) and then, @ CLE and Zona @ home b4 the rams.
Love KC.

That D started turning the corner against NE and the secondary has kept on improving. May get Houston back as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread