What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (9 Viewers)

I have Pittsburgh for the rest of the year. Their sched? @Cle, @Cin, Cle, @Ari, Buf, NYJ.

Looks juicy, right?

But somehow I'm leaving the Jets on the wire this week, and Haskins and the Redskins look so bad, I'm thinking of dropping Pittsburgh. 
I have both and am leaning Jets.  Browns have more potential for scoring than the Redskins.

I have both and am leaning Jets.  Browns have more potential for scoring than the Redskins.
I dropped Mostert who I'd claimed from dropping Hoyer and added the Jets. I'm going with the Jets, because I was impressed with Kareem Hunt's return and what it meant for the Cleveland offense against a tough Buffalo D. Pitt is tough, but I wanna see it suss out before I roll them away on short rest against a division rival with Mason at QB.

Trying to decide between Buffalo and San Francisco. The 49ers have looked great at times, but injuries are piling up. And the Bills play at Miami, but I feel like Miami isn't quite as bad as they were a month ago...and Buffalo isn't quite as good, either. 

Trying to decide between Buffalo and San Francisco. The 49ers have looked great at times, but injuries are piling up. And the Bills play at Miami, but I feel like Miami isn't quite as bad as they were a month ago...and Buffalo isn't quite as good, either. 
This all sounds correct. The 49ers are banged up with a top linebacker and defensive end out. Miami isn't as bad as they were, and last time Buffalo played them they scored 11 points for D/ST and that was with a touchdown.

The only thing that gives me pause is that Kyler Murray is really playing well and Fitzpatrick can be al over the place.

Not sure if there is another thread for this.......but what defenses are you looking at for the playoffs, weeks 14, 15 & 16?

Down Under said:
I'm considering going with the Jets (@Was) over NE (@Phi) 😲 😬- NE carried my team through Week 8 but I don't like their schedule going forward (not that I'm dropping them).  I played the Jets last week, but NE wasn't available....hummmm
I am right there with you, buddy, deciding between the Jets and NE. 

Picked up the Jets for their great scheduling pairing, but dropped them after barely cracking 6 points against MIA a few weeks ago in Week 9. Then picked them back up as even discounting the TD, they were getting pressure, sacks, and INT opportunities last week.

In that same week 9, NE was up against BAL, and barely cracked 2 points.

I think there is a great shot NE plays stout against an up-and-down PHI team, but in the world of variability, I think the Jets have a better shot at outpacing NE in points against a WAS team who hasn't cracked 17 points since week 2, and have averaged 8.6 points per game (and only 18 ppg including WKs 1 & 2 where they scored >20).

I think the Skins can score 20 or more in this weekend's game, and actually win.

I also think PHI can score more than 25 and also potentially win this one.

So leaning towards the Jets, as weak in the knees as that makes me.

Raiders might be another option I'd look at for this week v CIN, and if they do well, hold for the following week against the Jets. They are just as super thin, esp. in the secondary, but at least look like they are playing with real inspiration.

I am right there with you, buddy, deciding between the Jets and NE. 

Picked up the Jets for their great scheduling pairing, but dropped them after barely cracking 6 points against MIA a few weeks ago in Week 9. Then picked them back up as even discounting the TD, they were getting pressure, sacks, and INT opportunities last week.

In that same week 9, NE was up against BAL, and barely cracked 2 points.

I think there is a great shot NE plays stout against an up-and-down PHI team, but in the world of variability, I think the Jets have a better shot at outpacing NE in points against a WAS team who hasn't cracked 17 points since week 2, and have averaged 8.6 points per game (and only 18 ppg including WKs 1 & 2 where they scored >20).

I think the Skins can score 20 or more in this weekend's game, and actually win.

I also think PHI can score more than 25 and also potentially win this one.

So leaning towards the Jets, as weak in the knees as that makes me.

Raiders might be another option I'd look at for this week v CIN, and if they do well, hold for the following week against the Jets. They are just as super thin, esp. in the secondary, but at least look like they are playing with real inspiration.
The Raiders D is my first choice on waivers tonight and Jets second.   I'm going Raiders because the Bengals are the worst team and I should be able to use the Raiders again since their schedule looks pretty easy.   I have Jax in now against Indy but Indy normally plays solid, well-coached ball.     

The Raiders D is my first choice on waivers tonight and Jets second.   I'm going Raiders because the Bengals are the worst team and I should be able to use the Raiders again since their schedule looks pretty easy.   I have Jax in now against Indy but Indy normally plays solid, well-coached ball.     
I am really trying to figure out who has the easier schedule.

Here's how I see it:

Raiders: Cin  @NYJ  @KC  Ten  Jac  @LAC

Jets: @Was  Oak  @Cin  Mia  @Bal  Pit

LOL, true enough. 

Here's another word for you: Finley.

Which opposing D would you rather start against these words?
Jets and Oakland both got pressure last game and each had a defensive TD.

I had the choice. I thought Haskins looked so bad this year I picked the Jets. We will see. Regardless, I'm glad I picked them up and benched Pittsburgh's D tonight. I didn't like the road, the short week, nor the match-up.

Jets and Oakland both got pressure last game and each had a defensive TD.

I had the choice. I thought Haskins looked so bad this year I picked the Jets. We will see. Regardless, I'm glad I picked them up and benched Pittsburgh's D tonight. I didn't like the road, the short week, nor the match-up.
PITT has 7.75 in my league's scoring -- poorish but not disastrous, so looks like you made a great call -- nicely done!

If your instinct is right in benching PIT and starting NYJ, I may just follow you into the Gang Green fray.

PITT has 7.75 in my league's scoring -- poorish but not disastrous, so looks like you made a great call -- nicely done!

If your instinct is right in benching PIT and starting NYJ, I may just follow you into the Gang Green fray.
Pittsburgh has 2 in mine. Let's hope the Jets don't wind up with -4 or something like that. I can just see it...

Pittsburgh has 2 in mine. Let's hope the Jets don't wind up with -4 or something like that. I can just see it...

I had a discussion with a good buddy a few nights ago, and we discuss a bunch of FF players and value.

He was "stoked" to have the PITT defense in several leagues, and I had dropped them in either 2 of the 3, or in all three leagues after week 6. (They had a week 7 bye) I'm not particularly fond of holding "less than true elite"  defenses on bye weeks.  I figured they would have a strong showing vs the Dolphins in week 8, but look at their numbers overall.

Going in to this week, they were being talked about as a top 2-3 defense.

They had a 19 point week in week 4, which was CINCY.  (We could foresee that as being a good week)

Then they got 14 points in week 6 vs. the CHARGERS.  God knows which Philip Rivers shows up on any day. It could be great or crushing to the opposing defense.

In week 9 they picked up 19 again vs. the BRIAN HOYER led COLTS.

Week 10 they nailed the RAMS for 25 points.    GOFF has been brutal this year....again no shocker

Anyway, the point of this story, is I told my buddy early this week that "the defense is a bit of a mirage, they are not as good as you think".  Sure they have played a bit above their head at times, but when you look back at 4 of their better weeks, then you see the "excuse" for them to have some of those big games when they did.

I know they have Cincy again next week, but I don't think they are the "must start" from here on like others have said.  Other than Cincy next week, I'd be looking elsewhere honestly.... with a possible spot start week 15 vs. BUFFALO.

EDIT- To add that our league is either standard defensive scoring, or close to it, I can't remember offhand.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobbler1 said:
Sweet stashed the Browns in every league for week 12 against Miami and now that idiot Garrett is gonna get suspended 
LMAO I did the same thing. Stashed them, happy to see 16 points on my bench, now thinking about dropping them. They had Miami & Cincy coming up on the schedule in the next 3 weeks. Still might use them.

I have Rams Def for tonight, but starting to consider Oak Def instead. Cin has no WRs, a porous OL and a rookie QB in his 2nd start.  Trubisky started looking decent last week,and if Montgomery is out tonight, Trub will be airing it out more.

I see positives and negatives with each one.  I just think Cin has fewer playmakers on offense which should allow Oak Def to shine again this week.

San Fran with late game heroics to save the fantasy day.
And now the tough part of their schedule comes. Unfortunately i may need to stick with them as nothing worthy at all is available on the ww. Do I really wanna start Cleveland def vs Miami or Detroit defense vs Washington over them? I don't think I can. 

And now the tough part of their schedule comes. Unfortunately i may need to stick with them as nothing worthy at all is available on the ww. Do I really wanna start Cleveland def vs Miami or Detroit defense vs Washington over them? I don't think I can. 
I’m probably riding them next week. They’ve played some tough teams well. Until they put up a true stinker, I’m in.

They bring pressure and force turnovers. 

Walking Boot said:
Oakland did OK against Cincy, but, is Darnold warming up enough to make an impact against them next week? 
Oak doesn't have a lot of talent on D but they play pretty well as a unit.   I probably have to roll with the Raiders D this week but I'm not expecting much.   The Jets will likely score over 25 points but hopefully Darned throws a pick and takes a few sacks.   

Every week I say it’s time to dump San Fran defense and every week I don’t and get good results.

Is it time to dump San Fran defense?

Especially if you are clawing and scratching for a playoff spot and every win and point counts?

Every week I say it’s time to dump San Fran defense and every week I don’t and get good results.

Is it time to dump San Fran defense?

Especially if you are clawing and scratching for a playoff spot and every win and point counts?
Yeah I have no idea what to do.

Perhaps, but they just lost Dee Ford for a few weeks and you couldn't hand pick a worse schedule for them going forward.
Yeah. If you don’t start them this week, you definitely aren’t starting them next week.

I likely plan on dropping them as well. Though Rodgers has had some bad games. Sunday night with my playoffs on the line is not a time I want to test those waters.

I understand liking whoever plays the Dolphins this week, but Cleveland just lost 2 starters (Morgan Burnett and Myles Garrett) for the season, plus Larry Ogunjobi for a game.  Plus all the distraction of the past few days.  Doesn't that give you pause?

I understand liking whoever plays the Dolphins this week, but Cleveland just lost 2 starters (Morgan Burnett and Myles Garrett) for the season, plus Larry Ogunjobi for a game.  Plus all the distraction of the past few days.  Doesn't that give you pause?
It’s a definite factor. Even with a juicy matchup it worries me. I’m still probably trying to pick them up as I don’t trust Detroit, and the rest of the wire is pretty bare.

Yes it does, for me. I totally get why they are highly ranked this week, and they still have the ability to earn that high rank - both from the players not injured/suspended and given who they play against.

But D's tend to have some momentum and it's going the wrong way for CLE right now. A lot of variability in terms of how they will respond.

If this game was a road game, it have that much more of a trap game smell all over it.

Any consideration for the Falcons?  Two straight big weeks, plus now they get the turnover machine Winston.  Considering how awful they were to star the year, could be scary, but why can't they keep up what they did the last 2 weeks?

Yeah I have no idea what to do.
I mean no disrespect so don't take it that way. What you just said is what this board is all about.

None of us know. We all spend varying amounts of time studying this or that; some of us post our thoughts and some don't. But what you said? THAT WHY WERE HERE

I mean no disrespect so don't take it that way. What you just said is what this board is all about.

None of us know. We all spend varying amounts of time studying this or that; some of us post our thoughts and some don't. But what you said? THAT WHY WERE HERE
Huh?

I play everyone against Dolphins D more than I play the D playing against the Dolphins offense.

Would you guys bench Baltimore for DET/CLE if I could get one off waivers?

Speaking as a Rams fan...play the Ravens.
I just noticed I am all in on BALTIMORE D/ST on all 3 leagues I play in. I may find a spot play with a second defense perhaps, most likely stand pat.

I sense the momentum building in BAL on offense and defense. This team is riding high. Can Harbaugh keep them up. Can the team keep playing inspired football?

I'm riding the wave...

And Goff seems to be in a little funk. He could break out, don't like it that the WR's haven't been consistent. Kinda throws things off for the Rams leaning on Gurley. If BAL gets off to a decent lead, then hello defense again.

I just noticed I am all in on BALTIMORE D/ST on all 3 leagues I play in. I may find a spot play with a second defense perhaps, most likely stand pat.

I sense the momentum building in BAL on offense and defense. This team is riding high. Can Harbaugh keep them up. Can the team keep playing inspired football?

I'm riding the wave...

And Goff seems to be in a little funk. He could break out, don't like it that the WR's haven't been consistent. Kinda throws things off for the Rams leaning on Gurley. If BAL gets off to a decent lead, then hello defense again.
Dont underestimate the knowledge Peters brings to the defensive room about the Rams offense. 

Ravens did great on the road in Seattle, I hope they can do the same n the road against the Rams. 

I find myself needing a must win as Im 6-5 and the points leader by 50. SMF fantasy football is crazy. 

Users who are viewing this thread