Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

I need a win this week to secure #1 regular season money and a week 14 bye. Have been riding mostly the Bills this year but am obviously concerned about them this week. I forgot to pay attention to DST on the WW this week (missed on my claim for the Jets), so now I'm picking from scraps. Which of these would you pair with the Bills for 13, 15, 16?

Vikings, Titans, Colts, Browns, Cowboys, Texans, Saints

Or other lower-hanging fruit, as well.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

I've started looking at Week 16's defenses.  I had originally thought that I'd start the Patriots defense against the Bills in Week 16 (assuming I get there).  But the Bills no longer look like a good matchup.  In the first 4 weeks of the season, the Bills gave up the second highest average fantasy points to opposing defenses.  But in Weeks 5-12, the Bills tied for fewest average fantasy points given up to opposing defenses.  

Below are Week 16's matchups.  With the Giants playing the Redskins and the Bengals playing the Dolphins, there are far fewer juicy matchups than normal.  In fact, there might not be any truly juicy matchups.  I'm leaning toward picking up the Chiefs (@Bears).  Any one see a defense that they think has a good situation?

Lions at Broncos

Bills at Patriots

Raiders at Chargers

Rams at 49ers

Texans at Buccaneers

Saints at Titans

Giants at Redskins

Panthers at Colts

Jaguars at Falcons

Steelers at Jets 

Ravens at Browns

Bengals at Dolphins

Cowboys at Eagles

Cardinals at Seahawks

Chiefs at Bears

Packers at Vikings

Edited by Don Hutson
6 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Chiefs at Bears

My PHI D runs out of gas in week 16 and right now, KC is sitting in FA. 

Feel like the KC D has been getting better plus they should get up big at home. Trubisky could be good for a couple turnovers.

6 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I've started looking at Week 16's defenses.  I had originally thought that I'd start the Patriots defense against the Bills in Week 16 (assuming I get there).  But the Bills no longer look like a good matchup.  In the first 4 weeks of the season, the Bills gave up the second highest average fantasy points to opposing defenses.  But in Weeks 5-12, the Bills tied for fewest average fantasy points given up to opposing defenses.  

Below are Week 16's matchups.  With the Giants playing the Redskins and the Bengals playing the Dolphins, there are far fewer juicy matchups than normal.  In fact, there might not be any truly juicy matchups.  I'm leaning toward picking up the Chiefs (@Bears).  Any one see a defense that they think has a good situation?

Lions at Broncos

Bills at Patriots

Raiders at Chargers

Rams at 49ers

Texans at Buccaneers

Saints at Titans

Giants at Redskins

Panthers at Colts

Jaguars at Falcons

Steelers at Jets 

Ravens at Browns

Bengals at Dolphins

Cowboys at Eagles

Cardinals at Seahawks

Chiefs at Bears

Packers at Vikings

Have to seriously consider picking any D going vs the Falcons. As another poster recently said, their OL is "OMG bad". Sack and TO heaven.

What are people's thoughts on the Chargers this week?  Probably Drew Lock start (assuming he is activated).  Also possible return of Derwin James.  We should know tomorrow if either is happening.  What if Drew Lock and Derwin James are both activated?  Does that bump up the Chargers DST?

I currently have the Ravens, so looking for anybody with more upside - 49ers offense is not likely to roll over like some of the Ravens recent opponents.  Certainly don't expect lots of takeaways by the Ravens.

Packers would be the other choice - they have to be steaming mad after last week, but their D isn't that great.  Just noticed Evan Engram, Golden Tate and Rhett Ellison are all out this week, which obviously limits the Giants offense.

I can't make a move until tomorrow because Jonathan Williams is the player I would probably drop to make room for the Packers or Chargers, and I don't want anybody to pick him up for this week.  With his playoff schedule and possible return of Marlon Mack at some point he's the most expendable guy on my roster.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, VikingFrog said:

Jets and Green Bay are enticing.

Green Bay game will have poor weather in New York and engram and Tate are OUT.  Which may be the factor that decides between the two.

I'm going with Green Bay.  The forecast in East Rutherford isn't looking good.  It's going to be a rain/snow mix to begin the game.  It could be a slippery ball and field.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

GB it is. 

Yeah, I didn't get that logic either.

You don't want the Giants/GB if scoring is your thing; not if ball security is up for grabs. Bad weather helps defensive points most times one would surmise. 

Anyone switching to the Chargers now that Drew Lock is starting for the Broncos?  Unfortunately, it's nice weather and the Chargers defense is the 27th highest scoring defense.  But Drew Lock came into the league with decision making as his main criticism.  He isn't afraid to throw into coverage.  There could be some growing pains as he learns that he can't get away in the NFL what he got away with in college.  I'm not going to put in the Chargers defense over the Packers defense but I'm strongly considering replacing the Panthers defense.

On 11/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, themeistersinger said:

What are people's thoughts on the Chargers this week?  Probably Drew Lock start (assuming he is activated).  Also possible return of Derwin James.  We should know tomorrow if either is happening.  What if Drew Lock and Derwin James are both activated?  Does that bump up the Chargers DST?

I currently have the Ravens, so looking for anybody with more upside - 49ers offense is not likely to roll over like some of the Ravens recent opponents.  Certainly don't expect lots of takeaways by the Ravens.

Packers would be the other choice - they have to be steaming mad after last week, but their D isn't that great.  Just noticed Evan Engram, Golden Tate and Rhett Ellison are all out this week, which obviously limits the Giants offense.

I can't make a move until tomorrow because Jonathan Williams is the player I would probably drop to make room for the Packers or Chargers, and I don't want anybody to pick him up for this week.  With his playoff schedule and possible return of Marlon Mack at some point he's the most expendable guy on my roster.

I am in the exact same boat. I own the Baltimore Ravens D/ST and currently have them starting in all 3 leagues. 

Now, the big money league I am considering GB, and now LAC as well. I picked up GB specifically for weeks 13 & 14 last week early only to drop them after a -1 performance last week. Everyone is gun shy on GB now, including me lol. I somehow think they have a bad taste in their mouth and they come out swinging to make amends. D Jones is also a turnover machine and they can't just rely on Barkley. To keep pace they're gonna have to throw the ball.

Enter Drew Lock and the Los Angeles Chargers coming to town. Is it official he starts?

Three choices for my team and not who do I start: stick with BAL (they are hot no matter who they play), GB (mad as hell lol), or LAC (green QB)?

In order to pick up either GB or LAC Breida would have to be declared OUT (conflicting reports on him) to make room to carry a second D/ST.

29 minutes ago, Team Smokin' said:

I am in the exact same boat. I own the Baltimore Ravens D/ST and currently have them starting in all 3 leagues. 

Now, the big money league I am considering GB, and now LAC as well. I picked up GB specifically for weeks 13 & 14 last week early only to drop them after a -1 performance last week. Everyone is gun shy on GB now, including me lol. I somehow think they have a bad taste in their mouth and they come out swinging to make amends. D Jones is also a turnover machine and they can't just rely on Barkley. To keep pace they're gonna have to throw the ball.

Enter Drew Lock and the Los Angeles Chargers coming to town. Is it official he starts?

Three choices for my team and not who do I start: stick with BAL (they are hot no matter who they play), GB (mad as hell lol), or LAC (green QB)?

In order to pick up either GB or LAC Breida would have to be declared OUT (conflicting reports on him) to make room to carry a second D/ST.

Saw a report that Breida is out. But fantasy leagues might not mark him that way until 11:30. Also was announced lock would start but things could change I guess

• Like 1
On 11/29/2019 at 4:08 AM, Don Hutson said:

Cardinals at Seahawks

not sure of ownership %, but Seahawks are available in my league and I am going to grab them tomorrow.  I have NEP, so maybe will just play them, but SEA at home again an up and down offense seems like the best to me.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:12 AM, Don Hutson said:

That list is for Week 14.  I probably won't do it for Week 15 because I own the Patriots defense and they are facing the Bengals.  But maybe I will if I'm bored.

Week 15 and 16 would be fantastic - I own the Pats and the Jets, so likely dropping the Jets for some lotto/cuff candidates as I think I can trust the Pats against CIN in WK 15, but not as sure how great the Pats D will be against the Bills in WK 16. Jets have PIT that week, and may actually perform well against PIT whose bright side is really their D, not their O.

Who do we think are the best Ds for weeks 15 & 16?

MIA has the best match ups but threw up in my mouth a little just typing that. How about the Giants?

39 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

not sure of ownership %, but Seahawks are available in my league and I am going to grab them tomorrow.  I have NEP, so maybe will just play them, but SEA at home again an up and down offense seems like the best to me.

They are available to me as well.  Didn't watch the game but isn't Clowney back?  And no sacks last night?

And SEA is at LA this week.

Edited by C-Bound
43 minutes ago, 4th&inches said:

Does anyone still have faith in CAR defense?

had a prime matchup last week & did nothing. Next on the schedule is:

• ATL
  • SEA
  • IND

Seattle’s gonna drop 300 yards rushing on them

Trying to decide between Seattle, Minny and GB right now-all on WW.  Have Cleveland against Cincy right now, but no confidence.  

ETA. As mentioned above, Clowney being back is making me lean toward Seattle.

Edited by unckeyherb

Bitter SF D @ Baltimore owner who picked up Philly last week who promptly got curb stomped by Miami with 37 WTF pts against. 

Now SF is @ NO again not ideal but...

Philly is home on MNF vs NYG.

Anyone else debating this or a comparable SF sub? Brees hasn't been stellar.

Edited by Futz
21 minutes ago, Futz said:

Bitter SF D @ Baltimore owner who picked up Philly last week who promptly got curb stomped by Miami with 37 WTF pts against. 

Have them in now.

But have to admit, my first gut instinct when I heard Eli was starting is ugh for my defense. 

This is the typical Eli comes in and wins some games on his way out of NY. Eli is way better at reading defenses and know to rely on Barkley which can only help Eli.

Not good vibes with this news. Dimes was a turnover machine and just didnt want to take the smart check down. That concerns me more that Barkley will make waves if thats the case.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Have them in now.

But have to admit, my first gut instinct when I heard Eli was starting is ugh for my defense. 

This is the typical Eli comes in and wins some games on his way out of NY. Eli is way better at reading defenses and know to rely on Barkley which can only help Eli.

Not good vibes with this news. Dimes was a turnover machine and just didnt want to take the smart check down. That concerns me more that Barkley will make waves if thats the case.

Wow I didn't see that and yes I completely agree with your take. Last hurrah time for Eli and they will play for him.

Not touching that.

SF come hell or high water.

48 minutes ago, Futz said:

Made a similar mistake; dropped NO, benched BAL, and picked up/ started Philly...:wall:

Now with Eli "Game Manager" Manning going back in to start this week + how Philly looked this past week, there's no way I can trust them in my playoff matchup.

Debating starting BAL @ BUF or picking up 1 of:

• CLE v. CIN
  • HOU v. DEN

Leave it to FF playoff time to over-analyze everything! 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Eli, Engram, and Tate all back. No way Id start Philly defense. Eli is a game manager who doesn't turn the ball over much in recent years.

24 minutes ago, Futz said:

Wow I didn't see that and yes I completely agree with your take. Last hurrah time for Eli and they will play for him.

Not touching that.

SF come hell or high water.

I have Baltimore and Cleveland was just cut. Ugh, dang it. I hate this game sometimes.

Any thoughts on Tampa Bay's Defense this week? Back to back great fantasy performances.  Colts are likely without TY Hilton and Marlon Mack.  

These are my only options:  

LAR v SEA (on the roster)

BUF v BAL (on the roster)

ATL v CAR (FA)

NYJ v MIA (FA)  ..Jamal Adams out?

TB v IND (FA)  ..No Mack or T.Y. Hilton?

All home teams,  tricky matchups.   Who would you start?

Edited by Teef
3 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

Someone in a league Im in cut Cleveland and made an actual bid on the KC Chiefs to play them this week.

Am I missing something? Playoff over coaching and nerves? It confuses me.

i  wouldn't do it, but the way the NE offense looks now, maybe there is something to it.

• Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread