What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (4 Viewers)

I thought I had it all figured out with Philly, but they were so abysmal this week that I'm having second thoughts. I also have Buffalo, and I grabbed KC off the WW.

I feel like KC is finally gaining some momentum. And Drew Lock is going to regress now that other teams have game film of him.
Same boat.  Have Phi and KC leaning Phi cause Haskins is terrible.
Philly was hot garbage yesterday. I am giving serious consideration to starting Buffalo against the Patriots next week.

Those with an open spot may want to grab the Colts for next week, in case Carolina benches Allen for Grier.
I did as well without even thinking Grier could start.

Any insight on Grier? Read a blurb today that he wasn't so hot in preseason. Maybe he isn't a dump off machine and he throws (some picks) downfield vs. Allen throwing to CMC twenty times a game.

There's a lot of lower end Ds with good matchups this week. Ton to choose from:

* ATL vs JAX -- ATL D has come on last few weeks. Good showing against SF. Now faces Jax although they may get Chark back.

* WASH vs NYG -- D. Jones could be back and the Wash D has quietly been pretty decent.

* LAC vs OAK -- Gotta think OAK mails it in after that demoralizing defeat in the black hole against JAX.

I've already got KC (@CHI), Indy (vs CAR), and SEA (vs AZ) rostered. Thought they would be head and shoulders above the options listed above. Now not so sure.

I happen to get rosters frozen in the playoffs and got Indianapolis going into it.  :banned:

I'm also in the consolation bracket "finals" in that one.  :(

Seriously, though, Indy plays a lot of zone, but they've gotta be worth at least a look even after last night.  

[scooter] said:
Philly was hot garbage yesterday. I am giving serious consideration to starting Buffalo against the Patriots next week.
Philly was hot garbage the week running up to the playoffs, too. Miami's better than they were at the beginning of the year, but not 38 points scored solely on offense better. 

The bolded is a tall order, though. Never wanna fade the Pats when they're fighting for the division and potential bye at home. It's all based on the front of the jersey, though; they've got nobody on offense that scares me in the least right now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I happen to get rosters frozen in the playoffs and got Indianapolis going into it.  :banned:

I'm also in the consolation bracket "finals" in that one.  :(

Seriously, though, Indy plays a lot of zone, but they've gotta be worth at least a look even after last night.  
Trying to dismiss last night but difficult.

Brees picked that zone apart. 

Grier is not Brees though and that zone could confuse him quite a bit.

Just not sure how motivated Indy is now. They are officially eliminated.

Trying to dismiss last night but difficult.

Brees picked that zone apart. 

Grier is not Brees though and that zone could confuse him quite a bit.

Just not sure how motivated Indy is now. They are officially eliminated.
Good points, all. Not someone you want to be rolling out there if there are any other viable options. 

kyoun1e said:
I did as well without even thinking Grier could start.

Any insight on Grier? Read a blurb today that he wasn't so hot in preseason. Maybe he isn't a dump off machine and he throws (some picks) downfield vs. Allen throwing to CMC twenty times a game.
allen threw picks everywhere

ATL vs JAX -- ATL D has come on last few weeks. Good showing against SF. Now faces Jax although they may get Chark back.
Rolling with the Falcons in their last game at home.

They are showing some real fight, and the Jags just don't scare me. Not to mention, Fornette is seemingly done....like he's running in wet cement.

[scooter] said:
Same here.  Also considering the Jets after what said Bills did against them Monday.

did the same last week
Me too.  Also have Niners vs Rams at home.  It all comes down to the QB.  Here's what I read today...

With starter Matthew Stafford expected to be fully healthy for the start of next season, this might be the Lions' best chance to get Sloter some reps, whether it's a couple series, a quarter or a full half, as they assess the team's backup competition heading into 2020. 

An undrafted free agent out of Northern Colorado, Sloter has spent much of his early career with the Minnesota Vikings. A preseason standout the past three years, he completed better than 72 percent of his passes each of the exhibition slates, including 76.5 percent for the Vikings this year. 

Additionally, in those 12 preseason games, he's thrown 11 touchdowns to one interception. 

"He's got the ability to make all the throws, all that stuff," Lions quarterback coach Sean Ryan said earlier this month. "I thought he was an athletic guy. He's got good size for the position. ... He's an accurate guy and it seems to me, without knowing the ins and outs (of the Vikings system), but understanding small amounts of his responsibility, I thought he made good decisions, got the ball out quickly and got the ball out accurately."

I used these articles to help me decide on Tampa Bay last week, worked out great. This week looking at the articles I decided to go with the Colts, hope they show signs of life after the Monday night disaster.
I need some serious football analysis to go with Indy this week. They looked horrible against NO.

Zone scheme. Not sure if that's good or bad for rookie Grier.

No brainer
Is it? I look going against QBs in their first game.  Every account I've read is the team has hesitated to play him a down so far.  Not a lot of confidence.  See what they have.  Mack will run down their throat and own the clock.  Expect Indy to be up.  So what happens when this kid plays from behind? I could see sacks/picks/TDs

Is it? I look going against QBs in their first game.  Every account I've read is the team has hesitated to play him a down so far.  Not a lot of confidence.  See what they have.  Mack will run down their throat and own the clock.  Expect Indy to be up.  So what happens when this kid plays from behind? I could see sacks/picks/TDs
Panthers still have CMC, DJ Moore, Samuel. Lions have NOBODY except Goloday who will be locked down Harris.

Way too early takes of mine:

Ravens and LAC are looking downright dominant again, and I think those two will likely show up again as a Top 5 this year. 

49ers, Bills, and Patriots could continue to be strong, though I expect the Patriots D to suffer from being on the field longer than they are used to, so those buying into last year's performance may be disappointed. 

Steelers were strong last year and may be my sneaky pick to top the charts this year. Saints might actually make even more noise here too this year.

Dolphins might go from hard avoid last year to credible streamers this year, maybe even standalones iwth the additions of Van Noy and Jones joining the team, as well as  some more FAs up front on the D line.

Winners and losers from Round 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

DON MARTINDALE

We need to have a talk about what happened at off-ball linebacker in the back half of this draft. The Los Angeles Chargers (who we’ll get to in a bit) traded back into the first round to select Kenneth Murray at 23rd overall. Then the Seattle Seahawks selected Jordyn Brooks one pick before the Baltimore Ravens at 27, leaving PFF’s top off-ball linebacker in the class (depending on how you choose to classify Isaiah Simmons) to slide to the Ravens at 28. I imagine Don “Wink” Martindale couldn’t be happier as Baltimore’s defensive coordinator. 

Murray and Brooks both came in below the 60 mark on PFF’s Big Board, simply because it’s hard to project them as quality coverage linebackers in the NFL. Attacking downfield… check… stopping the run… check… running up the seam with a tight end or having a feel for where to be in zone coverage… not so much. Queen is not only a dynamic athlete, but he has shown the ability to be an above-average coverage linebacker. He graded at 81.8 in that area with LSU this past season. Queen slots in nicely on a Martindale defense that had success in 2019 by moving players around and using them in a multifaceted approach. Filling one of Baltimore's biggest needs is the cherry on top. 

NFL records and stats, 2020 Draft: Panthers go all-in on defense

Excerpt:

» The Carolina Panthers are the first team in the common-draft era (since 1967) to use all their picks in a single draft on defensive players. The Panthers selected seven defensive players in the 2020 NFL Draft after allowing 29.4 points per game in 2019 (31st in the NFL). Carolina is the second team to make at least seven picks and use all of them on one side of the ball, joining the 1985 Browns who selected seven offensive players. This is the eighth time a team has used all their picks on one side of the ball in a draft, with all other instances being offensive players.

According to my manipulation of 2019 stats, the best DEFs vs the pass were NE, BAL, BUF, PIT & KC.  The worst were NYG, MIA, WAS, OAK, and ARI on the bottom.

The best against the run were NYJ & TB, with a gap to  PIT.  Worst were CLE, JAX, and CAR.

How did the off season affect defenses?  Who will make the biggest jump (forward or back)?  How big a difference will new coaches make?  

Net change in significant Free Agents.  I arbitrarily set the threshold at players garnering contracts of $5M per year. 

FA net Off net Def
ARI 0 +2
ATL -1 -2
BAL 0 0
BUF 0 +4
CAR +1 -3
CHI +1 -2
CIN -1 +3
CLE +3 -3
DAL +1 -2
DEN +1 -2
DET -1 +1
GB -1 -1
HOU +1 0
IND 0 0
JAC +2 +1
KC 0 -2
LAC -1 +2
LAR -1 0
LVR +1 +4
MIA +2 +4
MIN 0 -2
NE -1 -2
NO 0 -1
NYG 0 +3
NYJ +1 0
PHI -2 0
PIT +1 -2
SEA +1 -1
SF +1 0
TB 0 -1
TEN -2 +1
WAS -1 0

The first column is offensive FAs.  The second is defensive FAs.

Number of players drafted in rounds 1-4.

Code:
Draft	Off	def
ARI	1	3
ATL	1	4
BAL	4	3
BUF	2	1
CAR	0	4
CHI	1	1
CIN	2	2
CLE	2	3
DAL	2	3
DEN	4	2
DET	3	2
GB	3	0
HOU	1	3
IND	3	1
JAC	2	5
KC	2	2
LAC	2	1
LAR	3	2
LVR	4	3
MIA	4	3
MIN	2	5
NE	2	3
NO	2	1
NYG	2	2
NYJ	5	2
PHI	3	2
PIT	3	1
SEA	3	2
SF	2	1
TB	2	1
TEN	2	1
WAS	3	1

What players were lost to injury or suspension who will make an impact in their return in 2020?  What about trades?

Faust said:
Look out for one of the Patriots' biggest weaknesses on defense last year to become one of their strong suits in 2020. Belichick knew after losing his star quarterback that he would have to bulk up a defense that was already pretty strong. He is prepping New England's defense to dominate some of the AFC's strongest offenses as the six-time Super Bowl champions try to maintain their high level of success into a third decade. 
Never underestimate Belichick's genius and preparation.

Users who are viewing this thread