Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

On 12/17/2019 at 6:54 AM, shadyridr said:

No brainer

Is it? I look going against QBs in their first game.  Every account I've read is the team has hesitated to play him a down so far.  Not a lot of confidence.  See what they have.  Mack will run down their throat and own the clock.  Expect Indy to be up.  So what happens when this kid plays from behind? I could see sacks/picks/TDs

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

44 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Is it? I look going against QBs in their first game.  Every account I've read is the team has hesitated to play him a down so far.  Not a lot of confidence.  See what they have.  Mack will run down their throat and own the clock.  Expect Indy to be up.  So what happens when this kid plays from behind? I could see sacks/picks/TDs

Panthers still have CMC, DJ Moore, Samuel. Lions have NOBODY except Goloday who will be locked down Harris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Way too early takes of mine:

Ravens and LAC are looking downright dominant again, and I think those two will likely show up again as a Top 5 this year. 

49ers, Bills, and Patriots could continue to be strong, though I expect the Patriots D to suffer from being on the field longer than they are used to, so those buying into last year's performance may be disappointed. 

Steelers were strong last year and may be my sneaky pick to top the charts this year. Saints might actually make even more noise here too this year.

Dolphins might go from hard avoid last year to credible streamers this year, maybe even standalones iwth the additions of Van Noy and Jones joining the team, as well as  some more FAs up front on the D line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Winners and losers from Round 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

DON MARTINDALE

We need to have a talk about what happened at off-ball linebacker in the back half of this draft. The Los Angeles Chargers (who we’ll get to in a bit) traded back into the first round to select Kenneth Murray at 23rd overall. Then the Seattle Seahawks selected Jordyn Brooks one pick before the Baltimore Ravens at 27, leaving PFF’s top off-ball linebacker in the class (depending on how you choose to classify Isaiah Simmons) to slide to the Ravens at 28. I imagine Don “Wink” Martindale couldn’t be happier as Baltimore’s defensive coordinator. 

Murray and Brooks both came in below the 60 mark on PFF’s Big Board, simply because it’s hard to project them as quality coverage linebackers in the NFL. Attacking downfield… check… stopping the run… check… running up the seam with a tight end or having a feel for where to be in zone coverage… not so much. Queen is not only a dynamic athlete, but he has shown the ability to be an above-average coverage linebacker. He graded at 81.8 in that area with LSU this past season. Queen slots in nicely on a Martindale defense that had success in 2019 by moving players around and using them in a multifaceted approach. Filling one of Baltimore's biggest needs is the cherry on top. 

NFL records and stats, 2020 Draft: Panthers go all-in on defense

Excerpt:

» The Carolina Panthers are the first team in the common-draft era (since 1967) to use all their picks in a single draft on defensive players. The Panthers selected seven defensive players in the 2020 NFL Draft after allowing 29.4 points per game in 2019 (31st in the NFL). Carolina is the second team to make at least seven picks and use all of them on one side of the ball, joining the 1985 Browns who selected seven offensive players. This is the eighth time a team has used all their picks on one side of the ball in a draft, with all other instances being offensive players.

According to my manipulation of 2019 stats, the best DEFs vs the pass were NE, BAL, BUF, PIT & KC.  The worst were NYG, MIA, WAS, OAK, and ARI on the bottom.

The best against the run were NYJ & TB, with a gap to  PIT.  Worst were CLE, JAX, and CAR.

How did the off season affect defenses?  Who will make the biggest jump (forward or back)?  How big a difference will new coaches make?  

• Like 1

Net change in significant Free Agents.  I arbitrarily set the threshold at players garnering contracts of $5M per year. 

FA	net Off	net Def
ARI	0	+2
ATL	-1	-2
BAL	0	0
BUF	0	+4
CAR	+1	-3
CHI	+1	-2
CIN	-1	+3
CLE	+3	-3
DAL	+1	-2
DEN	+1	-2
DET	-1	+1
GB	-1	-1
HOU	+1	0
IND	0	0
JAC	+2	+1
KC	0	-2
LAC	-1	+2
LAR	-1	0
LVR	+1	+4
MIA	+2	+4
MIN	0	-2
NE	-1	-2
NO	0	-1
NYG	0	+3
NYJ	+1	0
PHI	-2	0
PIT	+1	-2
SEA	+1	-1
SF	+1	0
TB	0	-1
TEN	-2	+1
WAS	-1	0

The first column is offensive FAs.  The second is defensive FAs.

• Thanks 1

Number of players drafted in rounds 1-4.

Draft	Off	def
ARI	1	3
ATL	1	4
BAL	4	3
BUF	2	1
CAR	0	4
CHI	1	1
CIN	2	2
CLE	2	3
DAL	2	3
DEN	4	2
DET	3	2
GB	3	0
HOU	1	3
IND	3	1
JAC	2	5
KC	2	2
LAC	2	1
LAR	3	2
LVR	4	3
MIA	4	3
MIN	2	5
NE	2	3
NO	2	1
NYG	2	2
NYJ	5	2
PHI	3	2
PIT	3	1
SEA	3	2
SF	2	1
TB	2	1
TEN	2	1
WAS	3	1

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Faust said:

Look out for one of the Patriots' biggest weaknesses on defense last year to become one of their strong suits in 2020. Belichick knew after losing his star quarterback that he would have to bulk up a defense that was already pretty strong. He is prepping New England's defense to dominate some of the AFC's strongest offenses as the six-time Super Bowl champions try to maintain their high level of success into a third decade. 

Never underestimate Belichick's genius and preparation.

Here's some numbers to contemplate.  They are 2019 PF in the 2020 schedule.  Ex: Browns scored 335 in 2019.  Every place they occur in the 2020 schedule gets replaced by 335.  I did this for all teams and totaled the results to get a rudimentary SOS for 2020 team defense. 

TEAM	2019 PA
TEN	5914
MIA	5927
IND	5948
LAC	5961
CLE	5989
BUF	6031
PIT	6042
JAX	6063
NYJ	6074
BAL	6075
CIN	6099
LV	6102
DEN	6128
NE	6143
DET	6172
KC	6177
HOU	6213
DAL	6279
MIN	6318
NYG	6322
TB	6338
ARI	6340
WSH	6340
CHI	6341
CAR	6348
LAR	6364
GB	6374
PHI	6374
SF	6375
SEA	6403
NO	6467
ATL	6519

More refinements coming...

• Thanks 1

Here's the latest iteration, tiered and ranked...

tm	talent	sched	off season
PIT	+++		+	
LAC			+		+
TEN			++	
BUF			+		++
NYJ	+		
BAL	+				++

NE	+		
TB	++		
DEN	+		
KC	+		
CHI	++				-
MIA	- -		++		+++
IND			++	
CLE	-		+		+

SF	++		- -	
LAR	+		- -	
GB	+ 		- -		-
NO	+		- - -	
JAC	-		+		+
MIN			
DET					+
HOU					+
NYG	-				++
DAL	-				+
CIN	-				+
LV	-				+
ARI	-				++
SEA			- -		+
PHI			-	
WAS	- -		
ATL			- - -	
CAR	-		- -	

Edited by daveR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Colts are going to be the waiver pick up top 5 defense this year IMO.

Easy strength of schedule--which is a common denominator in breakout defenses (Bears two years ago, 49ers+Bills last year), and the Buckner addition is going to be huge

If they are off, I think the Redskins will be a diet version of them with how dominant their front 7 looks (most important factor for a fantasy defense), and the toughness and experience brought by proven minds like Rivera and Jack Del Rio.

If Haskins can simply not be terrible I think this is a sleeper team with an outside shot to be this year's dollar store 49ers and stumble their way into the playoffs in that awful division.

Wish they had taken Tua. I would be a lot more confident about them in that case

Edited by KChusker

Jaguars DC Todd Wash said his unit is "not a true 3-4 or two-gap team."

"It's funny: everybody says we're going to a 3-4," Wash said. "You will see some different fronts, but we want to still continue to give teams a lot of multiple looks. Most importantly, we want to put the players on our roster in a position to be successful in any scheme that they fit." There's been some speculation this unit will move from a 4-3 defensive scheme to a 3-4 this upcoming year, but Wash clearly isn't having it. The organization added rookies C.J. Henderson and DE K’Lavon Chaisson, not to mention free agents Aaron Lynch and Cassius Marsh, but will move forward with the same defensive front it's leaned on the past two seasons.

SOURCE: Jaguars.com

Jun 17, 2020, 2:47 PM ET

On 6/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, KChusker said:

Colts are going to be the waiver pick up top 5 defense this year IMO.

Easy strength of schedule--which is a common denominator in breakout defenses (Bears two years ago, 49ers+Bills last year), and the Buckner addition is going to be huge

If they are off, I think the Redskins will be a diet version of them with how dominant their front 7 looks (most important factor for a fantasy defense), and the toughness and experience brought by proven minds like Rivera and Jack Del Rio.

If Haskins can simply not be terrible I think this is a sleeper team with an outside shot to be this year's dollar store 49ers and stumble their way into the playoffs in that awful division.

Wish they had taken Tua. I would be a lot more confident about them in that case

Wha?  No, they did the right thing.  The Dolphins needed Tua more.  ;)

27 minutes ago, the spanker said:

Wha?  No, they did the right thing.  The Dolphins needed Tua more.  ;)

And now that I think about it: the Redskins D wouldn't as formidable without Chase Young. I guess they can still get their QB next year--or Haskins can improve. That's still an option I guess

Edited by KChusker
  • Like 1

The Texans' defense ranked last in the league in 2019 in the redzone, allowing a touchdown to be scored on 71.4% of opposing drives entering that area of the field.

Only 6.1% of opposing drives that ended in the redzone resulted in no points during the Texans' season. This likely was a main decision in promoting Anthony Weaver to defensive coordinator, as his defensive line unit has arguably been the team's best defensive group for multiple seasons. Above all, the personnel has to be stable - J.J. Watt missing half the season, picking up corners mid-week who immediately start on Sunday, etc. Perhaps the defensive selections of DT Ross Blacklock, CB John Reid and EDGE Jonathan Greenard in rounds 2-4 can stabilize the unit.

SOURCE: The Houston Chronicle

Jun 22, 2020, 10:13 AM ET

• Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread