What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (5 Viewers)

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF
Solid call.

I will say that BUF looks juicy but I can see Patricia and DET righting their offensive ship given the talent on that roster, and that game is in DET. Though GB has traditionally owned their series historically, they will have to travel to Motown.

SF game is in GB, but they can be dangerous.

Green Bay also lost there top cover corner 6'2 Kevin King at the end of the first half vs Minnesota and there secondary didn't respond very well in the second half or overtime without him.

Id keep tabs on his injury but if he wasn't able to come back vs Minnesota- I doubt they rush him back this week vs Washington w/ buffalo at home the following week (Can give him two full weeks to rest before going to Detroit where they will need him bad)

JIslander said:
Pats? Need to look up why, but apparantly Lions giving up most points to defenses in my league.  Over under in that game may be 50 though.
It's because of the Jets game. Stafford threw five picks and Jets took one of them back and also scored on a PR. Last week they hung 30 on SF. Not saying they're a terrible matchup but don't let Week 1 skew things too much.

BAL dropped on the wire, likely because of the meltdown against Cincy.

I get it -- BAL was touted as one of the stronger Ds coming into the season, and after a solid W1, they soiled the bed on both sides of the ball against a division rival that looks stronger this year.

But they are at home this week against a Denver D that has more bark than bite, IMHO - I simply don't think Keenum has the goods or any semblance of accuracy to keep this mirage going despite what his D can give him in terms of favorable field position. 

Am I crazy to think BAL is a solid option, both this week against Denver and as a hold-and-stream option ROY?

Streaming DAL and MIA in a bunch of leagues this week.  DAL can easily do to SEA what it did to NYG last week.  They have a surprisingly strong defense so far this year. Ground and pound, keep the score low.   MIA has also been stout and has a decent matchup.

JIslander said:
Pats? Need to look up why, but apparantly Lions giving up most points to defenses in my league.  Over under in that game may be 50 though.
Pick-6’s will do that. 

Unfortinatrly it’s likely not predictable or sustainable.  Beware the small sample size. 

Stafford will put it together at some point and cut that down.

what I look for is sacks, FF, & Ints. I tend to ignore the DTD column because it’s a bit more random. 

BAL dropped on the wire, likely because of the meltdown against Cincy.

I get it -- BAL was touted as one of the stronger Ds coming into the season, and after a solid W1, they soiled the bed on both sides of the ball against a division rival that looks stronger this year.

But they are at home this week against a Denver D that has more bark than bite, IMHO - I simply don't think Keenum has the goods or any semblance of accuracy to keep this mirage going despite what his D can give him in terms of favorable field position. 

Am I crazy to think BAL is a solid option, both this week against Denver and as a hold-and-stream option ROY?
Baltimore will get their best DB & a few other guys back from injury soon. They’ll be a solid D once the pieces are in place. I’d grab them. 

Streaming DAL and MIA in a bunch of leagues this week.  DAL can easily do to SEA what it did to NYG last week.  They have a surprisingly strong defense so far this year. Ground and pound, keep the score low.   MIA has also been stout and has a decent matchup.
Feels like a trap. Seattle should play better at home, and Dallas isn’t anywhere near as ferocious as Chicago’s defense. 

I don’t think they’re a terrible start, should get some sacks. Maybe a pick. But I expect Seattle to get some yards & points in that game. So it all depends on your scoring system. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Pick-6’s will do that. 

Unfortinatrly it’s likely not predictable or sustainable.  Beware the small sample size. 

Stafford will put it together at some point and cut that down.

what I look for is sacks, FF, & Ints. I tend to ignore the DTD column because it’s a bit more random. 
Yeah, I figured that out 5 min after that post. I use the O/U as a guide and tend to stay away from predicted high scoring affairs, which that game is likely to be.

Went with someone's suggestion for Greenbay. Not a great matchup this week, but next 3 are decent.  And I hate streaming def every week.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Feels like a trap. Seattle should play better at home, and Dallas isn’t anywhere near as ferocious as Chicago’s defense. 

I don’t think they’re a terrible start, should get some sacks. Maybe a pick. But I expect Seattle to get some yards & points in that game. So it all depends on your scoring system. 
If Dallas can hold NYG to 3 points going into the 4th quarter they can do it to Seattle.  Seattle has dramatically worse weapons and a similar shoddy offensive line.  That was my point, not comparing the SEA performance to CHI.

If Dallas can hold NYG to 3 points going into the 4th quarter they can do it to Seattle.  Seattle has dramatically worse weapons and a similar shoddy offensive line.  That was my point, not comparing the SEA performance to CHI.
Oh I got it. And I disagree - I think Seattle got embarrassed on MNF, and they’re going to play better at home. 

Dallas defense is mediocre at best, and NYG offense looks terrible. 

Call it a hunch - I think Seattle puts up 20+ points this week, so unless you see Dallas getting a bunch of sacks, I’m not feeling them as a good streaming D this week.

time will tell which of us is right.   :shrug:

I’m rolling with CAR this week. 

I have both CAR & CIN - was a coin flip - CAR hasn’t been as productive while CIN has a terrific pass rush, but it’s pretty close so I went with the home team. 

This update makes me feel better about the decision. 

Predicting 5 sacks, maybe a hasty pick. Cunci’s OL is kinda brutal right now, and Baltimore didn’t offer enough secondary coverage to help their pass rush much. Not to mention no Mixon to keep them honest - Carolina should have no trouble getting after Dalton in this game. 

Bengals C Billy Price (foot) will be sidelined at least two weeks.

Price didn't suffer a Lisfranc injury but is in a walking boot right now and will be reevaluated in two weeks. Trey Hopkins will fill in at center while Price is out. Cincinnati is still trying to sort out its offensive line issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going with Green Bay the next few weeks. Someone dropped the Saints D, too. Not really interested in carrying 2 defenses, though. 

Sticking with Denver I guess

But got some options on the wire:

HOU (crazy but they were drafted & already been dropped twice) - at home v Giants

CLE - better D this year & facing Jets on TNF

CIN - low ownership %, they should be rostered

NE - @ Det this week and then you get all those divisional games v bad offenses

GB - I always have a hard time trusting the Packers

Oh I got it. And I disagree - I think Seattle got embarrassed on MNF, and they’re going to play better at home. 

Dallas defense is mediocre at best, and NYG offense looks terrible. 

Call it a hunch - I think Seattle puts up 20+ points this week, so unless you see Dallas getting a bunch of sacks, I’m not feeling them as a good streaming D this week.

time will tell which of us is right.   :shrug:
It's a talented unit that could be scary when Irving and Gregory get back. 

It's a talented unit that could be scary when Irving and Gregory get back. 
They’re kinda old & kinda thin on talent but I agree their starting unit, of all are on the field and healthy, can be good.

i still wouldn’t trust them on the road against a Seattle offense that just got embarrassed on national television. 

I decided to go Packers over the trendy streaming options of Browns, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins because GB plays the Bills week 4 (and Detroit week 5). A couple of other teams in my league stream this season, so I figured I had to act now since I probably won't get GB next week with my 12th WW priority. They're going to DRILL the Bills when they play them, so it'll be worth it.

I also doubt if GB plays much worse than those other four teams in week 3. GB has every chance of doing as well as any of those teams in this weekly streaming crapshoot.

The Browns best chance for a win (as if the first 2 weeks of the year weren’t surprisingly prime enough) comes Thursday at home against a rookie on his first short week prep.  As much as I generally hate having positions go on TNF, they’ve got a solid D and reason to play hard...I still don’t like this choice, but it’s one of the better streaming matchups

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Browns are trending in the wrong direction.

Heart wrenching tie.

Heart wrenching loss.

So I expect a heart wrenching blowout loss of epic proportion. 

Take that to the bank brohans.

Both Browns and Jets have a good chance to score a defensive touchdown this week.

Over / Under in the game is 40 points, so it's scheduled to be one of the lower scoring affairs this week. 

Grab whichever one you can and hope for the best.

I like Cleveland's D this week at home against the Jets.  Two good outings this year against two top offences.  Now they get a rookie QB at home.
I really want to do this and drop SD, but I am having a hard time bringing myself to actually use the Browns. I realize that the defense is vastly improved and this is pretty irrational.

I really want to do this and drop SD, but I am having a hard time bringing myself to actually use the Browns. I realize that the defense is vastly improved and this is pretty irrational.
I'm all in on them this week.  Roll with it!

The Browns best chance for a win (as if the first 2 weeks of the year weren’t surprisingly prime enough) comes Thursday at home against a rookie on his first short week prep.  As much as I generally hate having positions go on TNF, they’ve got a solid D and reason to play hard...I still don’t like this choice, but it’s one of the better streaming matchups
Those points seem to conflict each other.  If you hate having people go on Thursday nights, I'm assuming you mean because they're usually sloppy, low scoring games where fantasy players disappoint.  If that's what you believe, then a defense would be good on Thursdays.

I hear you. Some times streaming defenses has you starting some questionable teams.

I think CLE has shown enough through the first two games to get some trust. And the match up is good. I’m taking the gamble in one league. The plus side is if they do good this week they have a decent match up next week as well. 

They’re kinda old & kinda thin on talent but I agree their starting unit, of all are on the field and healthy, can be good.

i still wouldn’t trust them on the road against a Seattle offense that just got embarrassed on national television. 
I’m torn. Part of me wants to buy into the idea of Seattle and Russell Wilson being able to bounce back. But my eyes tell me they’re just a really bad offense.

Dallas has an elite DE, their LBs have been all over the field, and their corners have been really sticky. (Byron Jones  :wub: )  I think their FS spot can be exploited, but I’m not sure Wilson will have enough time to do it often enough to put up 20+ points.

Seattle is a tough place to play and the crowd will be in the game as long as it’s close. We’ll see. 

Those points seem to conflict each other.  If you hate having people go on Thursday nights, I'm assuming you mean because they're usually sloppy, low scoring games where fantasy players disappoint.  If that's what you believe, then a defense would be good on Thursdays.
Yeah, I probably could’ve been a little more detailed:  I generally hate having skill positions on a TNF game as they, IMO since I have no data to back this up, don’t perform as well as they do on full week’s rest.  DEF isn’t necessarily a skill position, so I’m a little more willing to gamble on them with a TNF game.  This specific instance gets a little easier because the opponent is a rookie on his first short week game

I'm contemplating getting cute and playing the Browns over the Rams. Figure the Chargers are gonna be a much better test offensively than the raiders and the cardinals ans because I'm such a degenerate I want some action tonight....

I'm thinking about rolling with Balt again.  Pretty good match up at home

Weirdly the number 1 dst in our league so far is the jets and they are available.

Sticking with Denver I guess

But got some options on the wire:

HOU (crazy but they were drafted & already been dropped twice) - at home v Giants
Surprised HOU got dropped too. Then again my opponent this week is benching them, so maybe they know something we don’t?   :shrug:

CLE - better D this year & facing Jets on TNF
I like this matchup for the CLE D. Expecting a low scoring game. The only drag is that the CLE D never gets to face the CLE O. ;)  

CIN - low ownership %, they should be rostered
I grabbed them early & have been very pleased. They get after the QB. Sure, they give up some yards/points, but IMO sacks are the most dependable thing for a D/ST - and from sacks good things happen, like FF/DFR/DTD, or QB hurries/bad throws/Ints. Cinci’s defense really doesn’t have any holes - solid pass rush, good secondary. They aren’t awesome against he run, but they’re not terrible either. 

NE - @ Det this week and then you get all those divisional games v bad offenses

GB - I always have a hard time trusting the Packers
I’ve never had great luck with either of these defenses for FFB purposes. GB always seems to get exposed at the worst time - they get into a lot of shootouts, so when they get a pick-6, they’re great. It’s just inconsistent & they’ll allow a lot of yards & points in the process. And they don’t seem to get to the QB much.

Pats same but different. They’re a D that doesn’t give up a ton of yards / points, but also doesn’t get a lot of sacks or Ints. Pats historically tend to “take away their oppoment’s best weapon” - but they don’t do much else fantasy-wise, so they’re boring to own without much upside. 

At least in my experience with these defensive units. Things could be better this year - it’s only been 2 games. But they look same as it every was. This is not my beautiful house. 

zftcg said:
You should definitely drop San Diego.
I would if you can't carry two Ds, but even with injuries, I think SD grades out as a second tier D (after Rams, JAX, and MIN) over the course of the year, and have some favorable matchups down the stretch.

I am looking to hold and pair with another D this week with some longevity/iongoing streaming worth, like BAL (who also have taken a hit given last week, but like SD I think get back to form as they get players back from injury and are also among the 2nd tier Ds).

I would if you can't carry two Ds, but even with injuries, I think SD grades out as a second tier D (after Rams, JAX, and MIN) over the course of the year, and have some favorable matchups down the stretch.

I am looking to hold and pair with another D this week with some longevity/iongoing streaming worth, like BAL (who also have taken a hit given last week, but like SD I think get back to form as they get players back from injury and are also among the 2nd tier Ds).
Sorry, but you are 100 percent wrong. Dating back to the beginning of last season, San Diego is tied with St. Louis as the lowest scoring fantasy D.

Was able to pickup bears and dropped saints before last week's game.  Rolling with Chicago for as long as I can

Jets tonight at Clevland or

KC at home vs SF?
Not thrilled about it exactly but I'm playing the Jets in one league tonight.

KC's defense is terrible, and San Fran has a decent offense so I'd stay away from that one personally.

Sorry, but you are 100 percent wrong. Dating back to the beginning of last season, San Diego is tied with St. Louis as the lowest scoring fantasy D.
I am struggling to understand your point, as St. Louis didn't have a team back at the beginning of last season.

Perhaps you meant the Rams?

If so, per PFF, using your time frame, both the Rams AND the Chargers were Top Third DSTs last year by fantasy points (and some other stats) -- LAR @ #4, LAC @ #7.

http://fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2017&GameWeek=&PosID=99

Quick question. And I had a long work week so maybe I’m going crazy.

I swear I went to bed at halftime and the Jets had a punt block showing across all my league scoring. My guess is that it got re-assessed, but wondering if anyone who watched the game could chime in. Went to bed with 14 points from my defense and woke up with 4.

Quick question. And I had a long work week so maybe I’m going crazy.

I swear I went to bed at halftime and the Jets had a punt block showing across all my league scoring. My guess is that it got re-assessed, but wondering if anyone who watched the game could chime in. Went to bed with 14 points from my defense and woke up with 4.
I think there was a partial block.

My understanding is that a partially blocked FG counts as a block no matter what (unless it's good, I suppose) but a partially blocked punt only counts if it doesn't cross the line of scrimmage. If it does it's just a short punt.

I know it's not really a good committee question, but I have Baltimore.  Chicago was still sitting out there this morning inexplicably, so I decided to grab them as well.  

Chicago @ ARI seems clearly better than Baltimore vs. DEN today, but Baltimore seems to be projected around the same.  Who is the better play?

I know it's not really a good committee question, but I have Baltimore.  Chicago was still sitting out there this morning inexplicably, so I decided to grab them as well.  

Chicago @ ARI seems clearly better than Baltimore vs. DEN today, but Baltimore seems to be projected around the same.  Who is the better play?
I dropped BALT D in favor of CHI myself. Also think CHI is a better long term play.

Users who are viewing this thread