What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

Start your QB/RB/WR/TE/PK fantasy players anytime they are playing against the Jets defense or the Jaguars defense.

So as the season approaches, who are we looking at for week 1 streams. 

I’m considering Tennessee at Denver (not ideal but could be worse), knowing they get Jacksonville at home week 2. 

Other options might be Detroit hosting Chicago or KC hosting Houston. 

I'm looking to take NE again this season.  I did last season based on the rest of that division.....jets and phins 4 games....plus buffalo isn't an offensive juggernaut by any means

Does the road matter this year? I guess maybe cross country but it's not like noise is going to be a factor.
Would still matter if you're traveling (even a short distance), in hotels, not playing in your usual stadium, etc.  I agree it's a lot less of a factor but it's still a small factor.

I'm looking to take NE again this season.  I did last season based on the rest of that division.....jets and phins 4 games....plus buffalo isn't an offensive juggernaut by any means
I’m right there with you.

New England seemed to fall in my draft, and just ended up in my lap in the second to last round.

Will they repeat last years early season performance?  Probably not, but willing to take a a chance on a matchup with the Phins in week 1.

I'm all for getting all info and perspectives, and no knock on Faust whose contributions to this entire board needs to be lauded more.

But any article that lists the Colts as a streamer and a "sneaky good D", when even beyond FBG, they are seen as a D that needs to be rostered, seems really hard to trust.

Something else that stood out was the Bears as dependable starters. I am one who thinks they continue to be a Top 5 D (and drafted them with that hope) but I don't think my outlook is shared in terms of their season-long forecasted outlook, or starting against a division rival in Week One with a short camp.

Does the road matter this year? I guess maybe cross country but it's not like noise is going to be a factor.
It is a factor I consider but I totally punted on defense in my draft and just went with the best matchup possible. 

Redskins have a low implied total, Haskins gets sacked a lot and is as good a bet as anyone to throw a few picks. Worth a shot Week 1. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m right there with you.

New England seemed to fall in my draft, and just ended up in my lap in the second to last round.

Will they repeat last years early season performance?  Probably not, but willing to take a a chance on a matchup with the Phins in week 1.
I drafted NE as well.   They are not going to repeat last years performance but I like the matchups in that division.    

i had that thought, but they don't get the jets or MIA the 2nd time until Nov 9.

In the meantime, they've got

SEA

LV

KC

DEN

BYE

SF

BUF

then after NYJ once

BAL

HOU

Not exactly a favorable schedule IMO.  Last year, their first 7 or 8 games were against terrible terrible offenses and then they cooled off.  They might be ok, but I don't see it as a particularly  positive setup.

i had that thought, but they don't get the jets or MIA the 2nd time until Nov 9.

In the meantime, they've got

SEA

LV

KC

DEN

BYE

SF

BUF

then after NYJ once

BAL

HOU

Not exactly a favorable schedule IMO.  Last year, their first 7 or 8 games were against terrible terrible offenses and then they cooled off.  They might be ok, but I don't see it as a particularly  positive setup.
Yea, last year the planets aligned for sure.....and they had some key guys opt out.....they should be a tick better on offense, as I think Cam is an upgrade at QB...I think Harry will step up as well....no disrespect to Brady....he's the GOAT, but father time catches us all.

So maybe a lil better offense helps their D a bit...

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted the Bears in the 2nd to last round of my draft and just dropped them for the Eagles due to their respective early schedules in addition to the match up in week 1.

PHI - WAS, LAR, CIN

CHI - DET, NYG, ATL

Obviously IND, NE, Buffalo, Eagles this week but I don't mind the Jets as crazy as that sounds. The Jets defense last season forced seven turnovers and allowed a combined 23 points in two contests. This game also features the lowest over/under on the slate.

Something else that stood out was the Bears as dependable starters. I am one who thinks they continue to be a Top 5 D (and drafted them with that hope) but I don't think my outlook is shared in terms of their season-long forecasted outlook, or starting against a division rival in Week One with a short camp.
Golladay (hamstring) was out all week and very limited per the HC at practice today; doubtful for Sunday. Amendola has been limited all week. Beyond MJJ & Hock, you're looking at Jamal Agnew (former DB), Quintez Cephus, Marvin Hall. 

I'm rolling with the Bears. 

I'm all for getting all info and perspectives, and no knock on Faust whose contributions to this entire board needs to be lauded more.

But any article that lists the Colts as a streamer and a "sneaky good D", when even beyond FBG, they are seen as a D that needs to be rostered, seems really hard to trust.

I feel you on the Bears. I really do not expect much out of the Lions this year (Patricia is probably the first coach fired) and think the Bears may just shut them down on Sunday.

Not sure this Chargers team is that much better than the Clemson team Joe lit up in the finals last year.
No, no. This is their year I swear.

Especially after their offseason AFC West Championship streak was just broken this summer. It just means things are changing (as in going from under achievers to cellar dwellers)

Seriously though I like the Eagles this week. Colts too but that's obvious. Avoid NE: Miami can play

Under the radar: Titans if Sutton sits maybe. You could do worse

Originally drafted the Saints as I didn't notice their week 1 opponent in a game that could lead to lots of points, etc. I didn't want a negative number on my D/ST to start out. So, I dropped em for Indianapolis. Colts drew a nice week 1 opponent on paper. It's all I can ask for. Then noticed the Colts favorable schedule and perhaps a hold for awhile? I really don't know much about this defense. Any Colt homers wish to chime in?

I’m probably rolling with the Titans over other mediocre options ... keep hope alive for my matchups till the last possible game. 

Atlanta vs Seattle is an option. I remember Atlanta being solid after changing up their secondary coaching and getting healthy, but I don’t love betting against Russell Wilson. They lost Trufant but replaced with first rounder AJ Terrell. They lost Beasley and Claiborne but replaced with Dante Fowler and second round pick Marlon Davidson. Could be OK, but I don’t love the matchup. 

Washington hosting Philly is tempting. It’s the age old defensive question of pass rush vs secondary, but Washington should have pass rush in spades. Can Chase Young have a Bosa-like impact?  He’s got quite the supporting cast with former first rounders Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, and Ryan Kerrigan. Matt Ioannidis is no slouch either. Rivera’s Carolina defenses always seemed to piece it together in the secondary and mask deficiencies with zone concepts. He’ll need to do the same again with Ronald Darby and Kendall Fuller as the starting corners and Troy Apke as FS. Landon Collins is a good SS and will be needed to help an unproven LB corps too. It all boils down to those five first round picks on the DL wreaking havoc, and this week they get an Eagles OL missing two starters in Brooks and Dillard. Now they shuffle Peters back to LT, which at some point Father Time gets everyone, and patchwork the G spots. Washington should get pressure ... and a lot of it. Is that enough?

I’m probably rolling with the Titans over other mediocre options ... keep hope alive for my matchups till the last possible game. 

Atlanta vs Seattle is an option. I remember Atlanta being solid after changing up their secondary coaching and getting healthy, but I don’t love betting against Russell Wilson. They lost Trufant but replaced with first rounder AJ Terrell. They lost Beasley and Claiborne but replaced with Dante Fowler and second round pick Marlon Davidson. Could be OK, but I don’t love the matchup. 

Washington hosting Philly is tempting. It’s the age old defensive question of pass rush vs secondary, but Washington should have pass rush in spades. Can Chase Young have a Bosa-like impact?  He’s got quite the supporting cast with former first rounders Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, and Ryan Kerrigan. Matt Ioannidis is no slouch either. Rivera’s Carolina defenses always seemed to piece it together in the secondary and mask deficiencies with zone concepts. He’ll need to do the same again with Ronald Darby and Kendall Fuller as the starting corners and Troy Apke as FS. Landon Collins is a good SS and will be needed to help an unproven LB corps too. It all boils down to those five first round picks on the DL wreaking havoc, and this week they get an Eagles OL missing two starters in Brooks and Dillard. Now they shuffle Peters back to LT, which at some point Father Time gets everyone, and patchwork the G spots. Washington should get pressure ... and a lot of it. Is that enough?
Washington looking a lot better with the Eagles down Sanders now. 

Ilov80s said:
Definitely the Titans
Leaning toward playing WFT over them right now. Sounds like Sutton might play after all, and Washington is at home with no Sanders for the Eagles, a banged up Lane Johnson, and a back up G against five former first rounders rushing the passer. Hoping for a lot of sacks and TOs. 

Leaning toward playing WFT over them right now. Sounds like Sutton might play after all, and Washington is at home with no Sanders for the Eagles, a banged up Lane Johnson, and a back up G against five former first rounders rushing the passer. Hoping for a lot of sacks and TOs. 
 Good upside there but Wentz has killed WFT in the last few years. I know they have a new coach and Chase Young but it’s riskier play imo. If Sutton plays, how comfortable is he? I think the Titans actually have one of the better defensive units in the league (though Adoree Jackson being out week 1 sucks). Also the Titans play Jacksonville next week.

Good upside there but Wentz has killed WFT in the last few years. I know they have a new coach and Chase Young but it’s riskier play imo. If Sutton plays, how comfortable is he? I think the Titans actually have one of the better defensive units in the league (though Adoree Jackson being out week 1 sucks). Also the Titans play Jacksonville next week.
True on all fronts. Jackson injury makes me a little skittish. Also no Vic Beasley, which he's perennially underperformed, but I trusted Vrabel to get the most out of him. There’s still Clowney and Landry for pass rush, but I heard David Chao on the fantasypros podcast say Sutton could play through this with a shot and a brace. Maybe he’s just a decoy, but without Jackson it’s something else to pay attention to. 

It also seems like the Eagles are always out of sorts week 1 and then get better as the season goes along. Their OL injuries, Lane Johnson not being 100% and maybe not making it through the game, plus Washington at home instead of on the road like the Titans, and the Eagles will be without their best RB. 

I think both defenses are good plays, but losing Sanders in both leagues has made me quite the underdog right out of the gate, and I think Washington has a better shot (for reasons listed above) to rack up a bunch of sacks and have a great week 1 while Tennessee may  just hold the Broncos to a score in the teens without a lot else. 

True on all fronts. Jackson injury makes me a little skittish. Also no Vic Beasley, which he's perennially underperformed, but I trusted Vrabel to get the most out of him. There’s still Clowney and Landry for pass rush, but I heard David Chao on the fantasypros podcast say Sutton could play through this with a shot and a brace. Maybe he’s just a decoy, but without Jackson it’s something else to pay attention to. 

It also seems like the Eagles are always out of sorts week 1 and then get better as the season goes along. Their OL injuries, Lane Johnson not being 100% and maybe not making it through the game, plus Washington at home instead of on the road like the Titans, and the Eagles will be without their best RB. 

I think both defenses are good plays, but losing Sanders in both leagues has made me quite the underdog right out of the gate, and I think Washington has a better shot (for reasons listed above) to rack up a bunch of sacks and have a great week 1 while Tennessee may  just hold the Broncos to a score in the teens without a lot else. 
Great points but I like the idea of playing against Drew Lock and the Jags the first 2 weeks.

Ilov80s said:
Definitely the Titans

SkippaDaFlippa said:
Should Titans streamers be worried at all about Vic Beasley and Adoree Jackson being ruled out for tomorrow?
I stayed away from them for this reason.

But I don't feel good about CHI or any of my WW options (TEN @ Den, DET v Chi, GB @ Min, CIN v LAC, LAR @ Dal)

I'm still Rolling with the Saints today. Possibly no Evans or a less than 100% Evans is good. Last time I watched Brady play he wasn't impressive. The Saints pass rush will bring it and pressure Brady the whole game. That Bucs O line was not impressive last season at all. 

I've got the Eagles DST against the Footballs but did the same thing last year and they did not impress.  Now kind of wondering if I should pivot to Washington.  RB Miles Sanders and OT Lane Johnson are both out, Jason Peters is back at LT because there is nobody else, and the Footballs drafted Chase Young to go along with all their other high draftees.  Eagles DST is probably safer but Washington DST could surprise (this week only due to injuries on opposing offense).

Users who are viewing this thread