Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

Probably gonna add the Cardinals later this week once Thomas is declared officially out and I can move him to an IR spot. Dropped the Bears - despite the favorable NYG matchup - to pickup Edmonds for free after Waivers ran.

Tampa Bay and Green Bay are also out there. I like the Bucs D this year, they kept the Saints in check, and everyone should be starting as many Packers as you can this weekend. Lions are gonna get blown off the field.

Looks like I'm playing the streaming D game again. Thought NO, then TB and Brady scared me away. Went to IND before week 1 thinking they had a decent schedule. Now grabbed TEN, which looks to have a great match up this week. STREAMING D/ST - a thread I have been following for a long time LOL. 

EDIT: PIT in the other league seems like a hold

Edited by Team Smokin'
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, JFS171 said:

I think the Jags are more dangerous on offense than anyone is giving them credit for. I’d be looking at the Cardinals or a Bucs this week, I think. 

I agree.  It's their defense that is likely to be their undoing this year.  So I'd target offensive players going against the Jags, but not defenses.

4 hours ago, rockaction said:

Raising Arizona and Tampa Bay in differing leagues over here.

Starting to wonder how legit Tampa is. Got sniped on them in a few leagues, so went with Arizona. 

I’ll be watching Washington closely this week too. Kyler Murray is very hard to get sacked, but that front seven for WFT looks nasty. We’ll see if they’re legit or if the Eagles are really that bad. 

19 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Starting to wonder how legit Tampa is. Got sniped on them in a few leagues, so went with Arizona. 

I’ll be watching Washington closely this week too. Kyler Murray is very hard to get sacked, but that front seven for WFT looks nasty. We’ll see if they’re legit or if the Eagles are really that bad. 

Tampa was legit at the end of last year. How much of their trouble was facing NO and how much of it was a slow start to the year will be determined. Can't sleep too long with them, though. I will say this: Carolina with Bridgewater doesn't look to take shots and turn the ball over that often. Their problem is on defense.

Anyway, I think you're right, generally speaking. You've also pointed out something I've noticed that's been readily apparent. I am keeping an eye on Washington. The front seven looks legit with Young, Sweat, and Kerrigan sliding up to DE in the 4-3. Those are some feisty ends.

22 hours ago, VikingFrog said:

Anyone got the cajones to start the Browns.

Burrow is a rookie. Short week. Thursday games after opening week occasionally tend to be ugly and low scoring. 

Might be a sneaky start if some of these other streaming defenses get taken.

Browns got tore up by the Ravens, but who wouldn’t?

I get the thought process, but the back 7 is a mess.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Tampa was legit at the end of last year. How much of their trouble was facing NO and how much of it was a slow start to the year will be determined. Can't sleep too long with them, though. I will say this: Carolina with Bridgewater doesn't look to take shots and turn the ball over that often. Their problem is on defense.

Anyway, I think you're right, generally speaking. You've also pointed out something I've noticed that's been readily apparent. I am keeping an eye on Washington. The front seven looks legit with Young, Sweat, and Kerrigan sliding up to DE in the 4-3. Those are some feisty ends.

Their front is so lethal Kerrigan is just a short side of the rotation player. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JFS171 said:

How are their LBs and 2ndary? I haven't focused on the Deadskins in years, other than a brief romance with Scary Terry last year.

Of Washington/Saints/Bucs, which is most likely to have a 2017 Jaguars,  2018 Bears or 2019 49ers/Steelers type breakout and dominance--not just a streamer

Wondering if in dynasty better to grab one of those as a possible trade chip or take a deep shot on a RB/WR instead

9 hours ago, LawFitz said:

How are their LBs and 2ndary? I haven't focused on the Deadskins in years, other than a brief romance with Scary Terry last year.

There are holes in the secondary but there is also Landon Collins and Kendall Fuller. Nothing head turning about the LB's, but there aren't any land mines either - they're functional. With such a top notch front a good DC can scheme around those deficiencies. Just have to be playing from ahead, which is why I think the offense will be the weekly question and not the back 7.

11 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I get the thought process, but the back 7 is a mess.

I'm considering it as the DLine is good enough to make Burrow panic and run a little.  CIN OL is a mess.  Plus injuries on the CIN Dline should bode well for Chubb to run all over.  So maybe CLE can get into a nice lead forcing Joe to stand in the pocket to throw.  

I'm not expecting a lot, but I think they'll be a decent start.  Better than most other teams on the WW.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Peak said:

I'm considering it as the DLine is good enough to make Burrow panic and run a little.  CIN OL is a mess.  Plus injuries on the CIN Dline should bode well for Chubb to run all over.  So maybe CLE can get into a nice lead forcing Joe to stand in the pocket to throw.  

I'm not expecting a lot, but I think they'll be a decent start.  Better than most other teams on the WW.

Set the Benny Hill music to Bobby Hart v Myles Garrett.

• Laughing 2
11 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Their front is so lethal Kerrigan is just a short side of the rotation player. 

11 hours ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, he only got like 22 snaps or something like that.

Yeah it’s kinda nuts, but this is exactly what Rivera did in Carolina. They stumbled upon Norman and Bradberry to some extent, though the latter was a small school second rounder. Rivera’s system has always focused on pressure with zone schemes to mask secondary deficiencies. 

10 hours ago, LawFitz said:

Not as good as the front line, but that’s where the zone concepts try to confuse the other team. 

9 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Really intrigued by the Washington Team of Football DST. I believe in Rivera to build a good defense.

This. 

44 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

There are holes in the secondary but there is also Landon Collins and Kendall Fuller. Nothing head turning about the LB's, but there aren't any land mines either - they're functional. With such a top notch front a good DC can scheme around those deficiencies. Just have to be playing from ahead, which is why I think the offense will be the weekly question and not the back 7.

Fuller didn’t play Sunday, so presumably one of their starting corners will be returning soon, hopefully for Sunday. 

9 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Really intrigued by the Washington Team of Football DST. I believe in Rivera to build a good defense.

Their front is great. But don't forget they just played a 40 year old LT and a rg and rt that had never played a snap of nfl football.  This was actually the first nfl game driscoll had ever seen in person.  And he got hurt and had to leave and another rt came in who also has zero nfl experience. 

Edited by need2know
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, need2know said:

Their front is great. But don't forget they just played a 40 year old LT and a rg and rt that had never played a snap of nfl football.  This was actually the first nfl game driscoll had ever seen in person.  And he got hurt and had to leave and another rt came in who also has zero nfl experience. 

What does the Philly oline look like this week?  Rams seem like a good play to me.

31 minutes ago, Steeler said:

What does the Philly oline look like this week?  Rams seem like a good play to me.

Cheese.  Of the Swiss denomination.  

ETA: Although Lane Johnson is supposed to be coming back this week, as is Miles Sanders.  That should be a big upgrade to what they vomited out last week.

Edited by unckeyherb
  • Like 2

I drafted the Bears thinking they would be a solid if not spectacular start, and get some points when matchups were tough with Top 5 scoring when matchups were favorable.

I didn't think this unit was an unstoppable force this year, but I am thinking that they might just be droppable if I can look to snag and hold a duo of TB/WFT/LAC, maybe even ARI.

22 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Adoree was put on IR and expected to be three weeks.(two more)

Evans wasn't suspended so he's back.

Beasley isn't a starter but they've been saying "hopeful" for like two months now so ....

They're really in a spot with Fulton potentially busting and having to play a 7th round CB. They signed two DBs this week

The Titans have a three safety set that they love and I expected that to be played more often. They can be fine with one weak corner. 

Minshew got them pretty good last year but I don't think it's wise to bet against Byard. If he's got the stones to throw deep, it could be nice for the Titans.

I don't think the Jags can handle Clowney or Simmons

It's a real good matchup for the Titans but can the Jags take advantage of that one CB spot

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, icehouse said:

Bears, Saints and Bucs all dropped in my league.  Am I missing something on these three?

For this week, I actually think the Bears are the best play of the three, and fairly good play overall.

Longer term, Saints are holding value as a run-stuff D and Bucs look ascending while the Bears are moving the other way.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Week 3 Streamers?  I would have been all in on Washington against Cleveland after week 1, but the Browns offense did show a pulse Thursday.  Tampa Bay at Denver looks like the only good streaming option among the usual suspects.

Dolphins at Jaguars
Texans at Steelers
Bengals at Eagles
49ers at Giants
Raiders at Patriots
Titans @ Vikings
Football Team @ Browns
Rams at Bills
Bears at Falcons
Panthers at Chargers
Jets at Colts
Cowboys at Seahawks
Buccaneers at Broncos
Lions at Cardinals
Packers at Saints
Chiefs at Ravens

3 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

Thoughts on Week 3 Streamers?  I would have been all in on Washington against Cleveland after week 1, but the Browns offense did show a pulse Thursday.  Tampa Bay at Denver looks like the only good streaming option among the usual suspects.

Dolphins at Jaguars
Texans at Steelers
Bengals at Eagles
49ers at Giants
Raiders at Patriots
Titans @ Vikings
Football Team @ Browns
Rams at Bills
Bears at Falcons
Panthers at Chargers
Jets at Colts
Cowboys at Seahawks
Buccaneers at Broncos
Lions at Cardinals
Packers at Saints
Chiefs at Ravens

Plenty of people picked up Arizona this week to stream. I’d include them in this list as a nice start against Detroit if you are continuing to stream.

6 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

Dolphins at Jaguars
Texans at Steelers
Bengals at Eagles
49ers at Giants
Raiders at Patriots
Titans @ Vikings
Football Team @ Browns
Rams at Bills
Bears at Falcons
Panthers at Chargers
Jets at Colts
Cowboys at Seahawks
Buccaneers at Broncos
Lions at Cardinals
Packers at Saints
Chiefs at Ravens

Whoever plays the Jets, so Colts.

46 minutes ago, Garrett said:

These are spot starts right now, for sure...

Tell me more -- do you think these two clubs pan out to be forces this year?

A lot was said about the caliber of players at all levels on the TB D, and while they have built a blue-chipper squad they let the Saints hang 34 on them in Week 1. Do you think that this was just Week 1 and a solid offensive team? 

Washington D shut down the Eagles, but the Eagles line was decimated and they were missing their workhorse back. Are WFT only utile against weak offensive teams or do you see them being a consistent potential streamer?

8 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Tell me more -- do you think these two clubs pan out to be forces this year?

A lot was said about the caliber of players at all levels on the TB D, and while they have built a blue-chipper squad they let the Saints hang 34 on them in Week 1. Do you think that this was just Week 1 and a solid offensive team? 

Washington D shut down the Eagles, but the Eagles line was decimated and they were missing their workhorse back. Are WFT only utile against weak offensive teams or do you see them being a consistent potential streamer?

Points in favor of Tampa Bay Defense.  I wouldn't consider them top tier for ROS, but still a very useful streamer next 3 weeks
Brady threw a pick 6, so Saints offense only put up 27 points
Buccs had 3 giveaways (2 INT, 1 Fumble), and zero takeaways - put the D in short fields (although lack of takeaways is an argument against starting them as a DST)
Saints were held to 271 yards of total offense
Michael Thomas wasn't hurt until the end of the game, and only caught 3 passes for 17 yards, so somebody was doing something right against one of the very best WR's in the league
They are expected to have a good offense helping them out
Near term schedule looks good:
Week 3 at Broncos - good matchup
Week 4 home vs Chargers - good matchup
Week 5 at Bears - OK matchup (depending on which Trubisky you are facing)
Week 6 home vs Packers - good week to drop them if Rodgers really is back

I don't really like the Buccs this week against Carolina - the Panthers defense is terrible, but their offense should be good

Points about the Footballs
Their defensive line should be elite
Their secondary is shakey
Their own offense is bad, so could put them in bad situations
That makes them look more like a situational play

1 hour ago, Polish Hammer said:

Seahawks, Packers, Saints, or Colts...who has the best chance to have a splash game this week on defense?

Colts

I’m expecting the Pack to score 5 TDs by halftime, probably will give up a few once the games out of reach

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Cowboys O-Line in serious trouble today

https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1307702029649936384?s=21

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher

OUT today for the #Cowboys:

Tyron Smith
La'el Collins
Cameron Erving
Blake Jarwin
Leighton Vander Esch
Sean Lee
Anthony Brown

https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/1307701433496752129?s=21

It is unlikely that anyone is starting the Falcons Defense today; however, if you are then this news is a boost to their prospects.

Edited by Faust
  • Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread