What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (4 Viewers)

Adoree was put on IR and expected to be three weeks.(two more)

Evans wasn't suspended so he's back.

Beasley isn't a starter but they've been saying "hopeful" for like two months now so ....

They're really in a spot with Fulton potentially busting and having to play a 7th round CB. They signed two DBs this week

The Titans have a three safety set that they love and I expected that to be played more often. They can be fine with one weak corner. 

Minshew got them pretty good last year but I don't think it's wise to bet against Byard. If he's got the stones to throw deep, it could be nice for the Titans.

I don't think the Jags can handle Clowney or Simmons

It's a real good matchup for the Titans but can the Jags take advantage of that one CB spot

icehouse said:
Bears, Saints and Bucs all dropped in my league.  Am I missing something on these three?
For this week, I actually think the Bears are the best play of the three, and fairly good play overall.

Longer term, Saints are holding value as a run-stuff D and Bucs look ascending while the Bears are moving the other way.

Thoughts on Week 3 Streamers?  I would have been all in on Washington against Cleveland after week 1, but the Browns offense did show a pulse Thursday.  Tampa Bay at Denver looks like the only good streaming option among the usual suspects.

Dolphins at Jaguars
Texans at Steelers
Bengals at Eagles
49ers at Giants
Raiders at Patriots
Titans @ Vikings
Football Team @ Browns
Rams at Bills
Bears at Falcons
Panthers at Chargers
Jets at Colts
Cowboys at Seahawks
Buccaneers at Broncos
Lions at Cardinals
Packers at Saints
Chiefs at Ravens

Thoughts on Week 3 Streamers?  I would have been all in on Washington against Cleveland after week 1, but the Browns offense did show a pulse Thursday.  Tampa Bay at Denver looks like the only good streaming option among the usual suspects.

Dolphins at Jaguars
Texans at Steelers
Bengals at Eagles
49ers at Giants
Raiders at Patriots
Titans @ Vikings
Football Team @ Browns
Rams at Bills
Bears at Falcons
Panthers at Chargers
Jets at Colts
Cowboys at Seahawks
Buccaneers at Broncos
Lions at Cardinals
Packers at Saints
Chiefs at Ravens

Plenty of people picked up Arizona this week to stream. I’d include them in this list as a nice start against Detroit if you are continuing to stream.

Dolphins at Jaguars
Texans at Steelers
Bengals at Eagles
49ers at Giants
Raiders at Patriots
Titans @ Vikings
Football Team @ Browns
Rams at Bills
Bears at Falcons
Panthers at Chargers
Jets at Colts
Cowboys at Seahawks
Buccaneers at Broncos
Lions at Cardinals
Packers at Saints
Chiefs at Ravens

Whoever plays the Jets, so Colts.

These are spot starts right now, for sure...
Tell me more -- do you think these two clubs pan out to be forces this year?

A lot was said about the caliber of players at all levels on the TB D, and while they have built a blue-chipper squad they let the Saints hang 34 on them in Week 1. Do you think that this was just Week 1 and a solid offensive team? 

Washington D shut down the Eagles, but the Eagles line was decimated and they were missing their workhorse back. Are WFT only utile against weak offensive teams or do you see them being a consistent potential streamer?

Talk me out of the Washington Football Team.

And if you can do that, then talk me out of Arizona.

And you can do that, then talk me out of Tampa Bay.

Tell me more -- do you think these two clubs pan out to be forces this year?

A lot was said about the caliber of players at all levels on the TB D, and while they have built a blue-chipper squad they let the Saints hang 34 on them in Week 1. Do you think that this was just Week 1 and a solid offensive team? 

Washington D shut down the Eagles, but the Eagles line was decimated and they were missing their workhorse back. Are WFT only utile against weak offensive teams or do you see them being a consistent potential streamer?
Points in favor of Tampa Bay Defense.  I wouldn't consider them top tier for ROS, but still a very useful streamer next 3 weeks
Brady threw a pick 6, so Saints offense only put up 27 points
Buccs had 3 giveaways (2 INT, 1 Fumble), and zero takeaways - put the D in short fields (although lack of takeaways is an argument against starting them as a DST)
Saints were held to 271 yards of total offense
Michael Thomas wasn't hurt until the end of the game, and only caught 3 passes for 17 yards, so somebody was doing something right against one of the very best WR's in the league
They are expected to have a good offense helping them out
Near term schedule looks good:
Week 3 at Broncos - good matchup
Week 4 home vs Chargers - good matchup
Week 5 at Bears - OK matchup (depending on which Trubisky you are facing)
Week 6 home vs Packers - good week to drop them if Rodgers really is back

I don't really like the Buccs this week against Carolina - the Panthers defense is terrible, but their offense should be good

Points about the Footballs
Their defensive line should be elite
Their secondary is shakey
Their own offense is bad, so could put them in bad situations
That makes them look more like a situational play

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

Cowboys O-Line in serious trouble today
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1307702029649936384?s=21

Marcus Mosher @Marcus_Mosher

OUT today for the #Cowboys:

Tyron Smith
La'el Collins
Cameron Erving
Blake Jarwin
Leighton Vander Esch
Sean Lee
Anthony Brown
https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/1307701433496752129?s=21

It is unlikely that anyone is starting the Falcons Defense today; however, if you are then this news is a boost to their prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears may have some life down the road, but picked up the Chargers for this week. 

Between the two on my squad, hoping to platoon matchups and turn this season around in this spot. 

Indy seems like the best choice for the week, but given the Jets ultraconservative play calling, is anybody concerned they won't produce any sacjs or turnovers.

How to fix Eagles' Carson Wentz; no rebound for Drew Brees?

Excerpt:

1) The return of Blitzburgh. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a storied tradition of playing great defense since the days of the "Steel Curtain," but the current edition reminds me of the Blitzburgh units directed by former defensive coordinator **** LeBeau. The Steelers are pummeling opponents with a blitz-heavy approach that leaves opposing quarterbacks battered and bruised after 60 minutes of constant pressure.

According to Next Gen Stats, the Steelers lead the NFL in blitz rate (57.8%) and pressure rate (45.6%) this season. In addition, the unit's 51.9 percent QB pressure rate on blitzes is the second-highest mark in the NFL. Those numbers are the continuation of a trend that's helped the Steelers lead the NFL in sacks (172) and QB hits (364) since 2017.

With opponents scared to death by their pressure package, the Steelers have also utilized a variety of simulated pressures (four-man rushes with pre-snap blitz disguises) to harass quarterbacks in the pocket. Pittsburgh's 36.8 percent QB pressure rate when rushing four or fewer rushers is the highest in the NFL.

Considering the Steelers lead the NFL in sacks and takeaways since 2019 while also ranking as a top-five unit in points per game allowed (18.9, fifth), total yards per game allowed (304.2, fifth) and opponent passer rating (79.6, third), the resurgence of the defense utilizing a pressure-heavy approach has certainly caught the eyes of defensive minds around the league.

"(Mike) Tomlin is back to doing the stuff that worked for him in Minnesota (as defensive coordinator)," said a long-time former NFL defensive coordinator. "He is bringing pressure from all over the field with a mix of man and zone coverage behind it. ... He can dial up the pressure because he has the perfect personnel to go after quarterbacks with explosive pass rushers like (T.J.) Watt and (Bud) Dupree on the edges and (Devin) Bush in the middle. Plus, No. 28 (Mike Hilton) is pretty good as a blitzer from the slot.

"He has to be careful exposing the secondary at times, but he is willing to live and die by the blitz. ... Right now, it's working."

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film, the Steelers' defensive plan features the perfect marriage between scheme and personnel. The unit is arguably the fastest in the league with a collection of energetic athletes occupying the marquee spots in a 3-4 (or 2-4-5) front. Watt and Dupree are a dynamic tandem off the edge with disruptive games built on speed, power and explosiveness. Hilton is the wild card of the group as a blitz-happy slot defender with a knack for getting to the quarterback. The fifth-year pro is a fearless rusher with energy and wiggle. He's elusive at the point of attack and his relentless playing style creates disruption in the backfield.

From a schematic standpoint, the Steelers are utilizing a straightforward approach that is effective due to the energy and intensity of the defenders. The pressure tactics are combined with man-free coverage to eliminate the layups and force quarterbacks to complete contested passes down the field.

The utilization of man coverage runs counter the zone blitz tactics featured by Blitzburgh in the past, but it eliminates the voids in zone coverage and challenges quarterbacks to make accurate tight-window throws under duress. With the pressure and coverage working in unison, the 2020 version of Blitzburgh could vault the Steelers back into title contention.

Someone dropped NE. I grabbed them to pair with IND.  Haven't looked at schedules, but have to think this should be a good pairing.  

Chargers placed DE Melvin Ingram on injured reserve with a knee injury. 

Ingram will now miss at least the next three games after getting injured in practice this week. It's a big blow for a Chargers defense that has looked dominant through two games, and a return to the early days of Ingram's career, where he had trouble staying in the field. Ingram missed three games with a 2019 hamstring issue but had previously not missed a contest since 2014. Hopefully Ingram is ready to return when first eligible in Week 6 vs. the lowly Jets. 

Sep 26, 2020, 4:14 PM ET

Chargers placed DT Justin Jones on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

Jones will now be sidelined until at least Week 6 against the Jets. Jones started Weeks 1 and 2 but was forced to depart after 20 snaps vs. the Chiefs. His injury comes at the same time Melvin Ingram (knee) was placed on the shelf. It's a blow for the Chargers' run defense. 

Sep 26, 2020, 4:21 PM ET

Oof. That's what 3 defensive keystone lost on the LAC D this year?

How do you think this changes their outlook this weekend and ROS as a streaming candidate?
It's got to hurt.  That D-line looked awesome against the Chiefs too.  Thanks Faust for posting this - I would not have been aware of it except for this post.  (And props to the FBG Community Forum)!
So now do I keep the Chargers DST or pivot?  My choices are
Chargers home vs. Carolina (minus McCaffery)
Cardinals home vs. Detroit (Golladay likely back) - definite potential for high scoring game
Browns home vs. Washington (Guard Scherff is out for Wash. but The Bengals hung 30 points on them last week). (Denzel Ward is Q with a Groin and Greedy Williams is Out with a shoulder).

It's got to hurt.  That D-line looked awesome against the Chiefs too.  Thanks Faust for posting this - I would not have been aware of it except for this post.  (And props to the FBG Community Forum)!
So now do I keep the Chargers DST or pivot?  My choices are
Chargers home vs. Carolina (minus McCaffery)
Cardinals home vs. Detroit (Golladay likely back) - definite potential for high scoring game
Browns home vs. Washington (Guard Scherff is out for Wash. but The Bengals hung 30 points on them last week). (Denzel Ward is Q with a Groin and Greedy Williams is Out with a shoulder).
Our of those options I like the Browns match up the best.

For me, it's looking like either sticking with the Chargers, which I am really nervous about, or pivoting to the Bears, or potentially the Falcons or Titans.

None of those options scream out over the others to me.

Our of those options I like the Browns match up the best.

For me, it's looking like either sticking with the Chargers, which I am really nervous about, or pivoting to the Bears, or potentially the Falcons or Titans.

None of those options scream out over the others to me.
I guess the Giants might also be possible - Kittle, Garoppalo, Mostert, Coleman, Deebo Samuel all out and the Niners Defense should be much less scary with all their inuries.

Even with Golladay back, Im rolling with AZ today.  My week is about toast anyway after the combo of Minshew and Parker did little on Thursday.

Rolling with Cleveland in one league and Tampa Bay in the other. Looking like two bad/backup quarterbacks and hope for a crucial mistake for a pick six. 

I like both defenses in the Browns game. 
I'm not high on Washington because I expect Cleveland to throw as little as possible, which obviously cuts down the opportunities for sacks.  That D-line is still stout so might be able to shut them down anyway (Cleveland ran well against Bengals but didn't crush them - and they are the Bengals).  So at some point Baker may HAVE TO throw, but I don't expect much out of the Footballs offense either so that shouldn't occur until late.

Own Arizona who’s been meh, but has Jets next week.

I rarely carry two defenses, but have the change to drop Gage who was a one week flyer and pickup Denver for this week in a must win situation.

That Thursday night game almost feels like a trap to me with Denver starting their QB3 who could put the jets in some decent field position. 

But Denver is favored away and a low 40 point spread.

Own Arizona who’s been meh, but has Jets next week.

I rarely carry two defenses, but have the change to drop Gage who was a one week flyer and pickup Denver for this week in a must win situation.

That Thursday night game almost feels like a trap to me with Denver starting their QB3 who could put the jets in some decent field position. 

But Denver is favored away and a low 40 point spread.
Also have arz.   Gonna try to drop them for the colts who are somehow out there. If not them gonna try for the rams

Users who are viewing this thread