Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

On 11/20/2020 at 11:56 PM, VikingFrog said:

I am carrying two currently. Saints and Rams. They matchup pretty well together over the next few weeks and into the playoffs.

Thinking of doing this myself. I currently have the bears and Saints and hate to drop the bears, but looking at the schedule I’ve been really leaning towards dropping them and scooping up the Rams  to pair with the Saints 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

I have the touch of death this year. Started Miami finally against the 2nd worst offense in the league. They proc ed to have their worst fantasy day of the season. 

At least I'm done now. No chance at the playoffs. 

I have the Giants and the Dolphins D.  Next 2 weeks are must win for me.  I get to go against the Bengals with each.  The stats I just heard on Ryan Finley have me salivating.  No Mixon either.  Should at least improve my odds. Not sure beyond that but have to get to the dance first.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:13 PM, Insein said:

I have the touch of death this year. Started Miami finally against the 2nd worst offense in the league. They proc ed to have their worst fantasy day of the season. 

At least I'm done now. No chance at the playoffs. 

Same. Only 2 teams in my league stream and he is leading league in points from a defense and I am last, a few more do it but tend to have 1 defense they keep and lean on.

Starting this week I am stashing defenses. I have 4 right now. Sticking with good matchups but trying to make sure they are home games as well.

Some news for those who are contemplating starting the Giants Defense:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Brandon Allen will start Week 12 against the Giants.

He gets the start over Ryan Finley. Allen was just called up from the practice squad this week, but the Bengals feel comfortable enough to start him down the stretch with Joe Burrow (knee) out for the season. Allen struggled in three spot starts for the Broncos last year, completing 46% of his passes with a 3:2 TD/INT ratio. Even in a favorable matchup with the Giants' secondary, the entire Bengals offense should be downgraded with Allen starting.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 25, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Faust said:

News for those who are contemplating starting the Browns Defense:

Jaguars QB Mike Glennon to start Sunday against Browns

In related news, Browns will be without their top CB (Denzel Ward) who will miss a few weeks due to a calf injury.  They will also be without DE Myles Garrett for the game vs Jax.  As a Browns fan, that defense can live without one of those, but losing both is a big hit.  The secondary was already a weakness.  Losing Ward makes it worse.

6 minutes ago, Peak said:

In related news, Browns will be without their top CB (Denzel Ward) who will miss a few weeks due to a calf injury.  They will also be without DE Myles Garrett for the game vs Jax.  As a Browns fan, that defense can live without one of those, but losing both is a big hit.  The secondary was already a weakness.  Losing Ward makes it worse.

The Browns will be fine.    They will chew up clock with their ground game and the defense is not going to threatened by the current Jags offense.  

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

The Browns will be fine.    They will chew up clock with their ground game and the defense is not going to threatened by the current Jags offense.  

Oh...I'm not worried about them beating the Jags.  I think that's a very good possibility.  (It's the browns, they could lose...but I'm jaded a bit after having too much optimism in the past).

I was more or less stating from a Defensive scoring potential.  These two missing the game could result in fewer sacks, fumbles, and/or interceptions.  The defensive line stepped up big last week.  I'd like to see them do that again this week.  But the secondary is really bad.  Ward was the lone spotlight. Ronnie Harrison (safety) was another good player, but he got nicked up last week as well.  Not sure if he'll be out there this week.   I'm curious to see just how aggressive Woods will be with the patchwork secondary he'll be working with this week.

Just in time for Thanksgiving, Turkey neck Glennon makes his 2020 debut. His high altitude POV really helps him survey the defense.

Jokes aside, this has to be an upgrade over Luton and his 4 pack of picks. I could see Chark making some noise. Garrett out so Robinson might be able to extend some drives. Browns will win of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Jax puts up more points than expected. Browns secondary is a disaster. And they aren’t playing in the friendly, wind assisted confines of their home stadium this week. 

Edited by Johnny Utah #9

Looking at defenses the rest of the way and liking Seattle’s matchups in weeks 14 and 15 (Jets and Wash) but targeting Az as well who has 3 great playoff matchups (Giants, Eagles, 49ers). 
In that same league, I own Indy but just can’t get myself to start them against better offenses but they keep putting up good points. Am I overthinking this and just start Indy the rest of the way or should I look at these lesser Ds with better matchups in the playoffs?

It's too bad Dallas is such a pos D this year. Cupcake city here on through the playoffs.

They have WAS, @BAL @CIN, SF, and PHI.

Solid stretch of home games and erratic or struggling offenses.

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
typo
3 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

It's too bad Dallas is such a pos D this year. Cupcake city here on through the playoffs.

They have WAS, @BAL @CIN, SF, and PHI.

Solid stretch of home games and erratic or struggling offenses.

I was thinking the same thing as well. Might start them today because I want to avoid the banged up Ravens D vs the Steelers. 

How does everyone else feel about the Chiefs D this week? 

29 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

Grabbed the Raiders for the NYJ matchup next week. Have a few shares of NYG, Sea, LAR, Cle already. 

Tempted to do the same. Already have NO (@ATL) and SEA (vs NYG).

I have no read on the LV D. Are they really any good? 

The NYJ have been miserable but they are showing signs of life on offense. Mims/Crowder/Perriman not too shabby.

I've been thinking about the Bears for next week versus Lions.  Stafford with thumb injury that is likely to be an issue for a while.  Golladay, Amendola and Swift out this week, but wouldn't be surprised to see them back next week.  Might see Patricia fired this week if Lions are blown out by Texans.  Could either be a ferocious last-chance bounce-back next week by the Lions or a run for the bus.

4 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I was thinking the same thing as well. Might start them today because I want to avoid the banged up Ravens D vs the Steelers. 

Doing the same...Dallas D over Baltimore this week.  Don't love it but who even knows if they play Sunday and cannot afford a total goose egg

5 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

I've been thinking about the Bears for next week versus Lions.  Stafford with thumb injury that is likely to be an issue for a while.  Golladay, Amendola and Swift out this week, but wouldn't be surprised to see them back next week.  Might see Patricia fired this week if Lions are blown out by Texans.  Could either be a ferocious last-chance bounce-back next week by the Lions or a run for the bus.

If all of those are still out for the Lions I would start the Bears D. 

16 hours ago, joey said:

Looking at defenses the rest of the way and liking Seattle’s matchups in weeks 14 and 15 (Jets and Wash) but targeting Az as well who has 3 great playoff matchups (Giants, Eagles, 49ers). 
In that same league, I own Indy but just can’t get myself to start them against better offenses but they keep putting up good points. Am I overthinking this and just start Indy the rest of the way or should I look at these lesser Ds with better matchups in the playoffs?

I just cut the Colts for the Cards. The upcoming schedule for the Colts D is not good at all and they've slowed down since their very hot start.

• Thanks 1
On 11/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, VikingFrog said:

I am carrying two currently. Saints and Rams. They matchup pretty well together over the next few weeks and into the playoffs.

I have this combo. Last Sunday morning I added the Chiefs to cover WK 13.

No wrong answer but having a hard time deciding between the Rams and the Saints for this week. The trend is your friend, so leaning New Orleans. IMO LA has a marginally better matchup.

16 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Not feeling it. O/U is 54 and Goff (who came in playing horrible) just torched them. While TB might throw one to the wrong team - a pick six is always on the table this year when facing the Bucs - could easily be a 34-31 kind of game that wrecks the fantasy outlook for either D.

1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

Have the Rams and thinking of adding the Texans...would yield these matchups

week 13 Rams vs SF

week 14 Texans vs Chi

week 15 Rams vs Jets

week 16 Texans vs Bengals

Rams have SF this week, Zona week 13, which is not good. Texans have Colts next week, which also isn’t great. 
But I see your point, and it’s an interesting play. I’m a Rams owner as well looking for a 2nd option for the playoffs. I’m not afraid of the Rams week 14 matchup vs the Pats, but week 16 at Seattle is a problem (despite how they did in the first matchup). Texans catching Cincy there is a great matchup. If Mixon is back by then they would get a downgrade though. Problem is I have my doubts whether Texans can take advantage of a slam dunk matchup. They really are a bad defense, but they did handle a bad Lions team yesterday so who knows. It’s not a bad play.

30 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

FBG pretty high on Packers v. Bears this week. With Steelers looking like they may not play, maybe pack worth a one week pickup?

Have Baltimore, but in case they don't play have the option of CLE or GB this week.  With Chark out now I think I like CLE more.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:56 PM, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

FBG pretty high on Packers v. Bears this week. With Steelers looking like they may not play, maybe pack worth a one week pickup?

I’m never a big fan of “they’ve played like crap all year but have a great matchup” plug n plays. In the six games since their bye week, they have 9 sacks and 6 turnovers.

Among lightly held teams, I like Seattle (55%) - 16 sacks their last four - or Arizona (20%), who has 4 multiple turnover games and facing a depleted Pats team.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Anyone else crazy enough to use Philly? 

Wilson has been sacked 33 times this season and has thrown 10 INTs. Seattle will score their points but this could be a solid matchup. 

No chance. Used that fraudulent D in a supposedly great matchup vs Gmen  few weeks ago and it cost me a win. Whatever you think of Russ’s turnover trends lately, don’t forget that Wentz is going to have the Eagles D defending short fields due to his horrible play. I wouldn’t even consider that play.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Long Ball Larry said:

Well it’s saints now since Mia locked, but the concern is that Denver is going to be so conservative that there is really limited upside

Understandable,  it aim expecting an epic breakdown, chaos, confusion, and disarray.

I’m also confident Vic Fangio is as dumb as we suspect. He will end this year wishing he had stayed a well respected DC. Dude is so far outside of his element.

Used the Rams Weeks 4-8 and the Saints 9-12.

Took out a one week rental on the Chiefs this week due to matchups.    

LAR @ ARI 

NOS @ ATL

KCC VS DEN

KC doesn’t get to the QB very often (14 sacks) but 8 games with multiple turnovers. Presumably the Broncos won’t go 1/9 13 0-2 at QB but still a juicy setup.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:29 AM, kyoun1e said:

Tempted to do the same. Already have NO (@ATL) and SEA (vs NYG).

I have no read on the LV D. Are they really any good? 

The NYJ have been miserable but they are showing signs of life on offense. Mims/Crowder/Perriman not too shabby.

I am a Raider fan, and wouldn't trust the D even against the Jets. Outside of Crosby they lack pass rush and have a bottom tier blitz %, and are very variable (and mostly poor) at generating turnovers and INTs. 

I think the Raiders come angry to this game after getting absolutely embarrassed by the Falcons, and will be seeking revenge for both that game and the game they lost in an equally spectacularly embarrassing fashion to the Jets around this time last year. It's a true must-win if they want to keep playoff hopes alive.

So I think the potential is there, I'm just not sure if I'd trust them over potential other options.

I have MIAMI in 4/4 leagues, and in one I have THE SAINTS as well. (I need to win weeks 13 AND 14 to try and back in to the playoffs in that league)

Anyhow, I have noticed that SAN FRAN is on the wire in 3/4 of the leagues I'm in, I picked them up in 1 already.

Their early playoff schedule looks like this.

WEEK 14 @home vs WAS

Week 15 @ DALLAS

Do any of you love these matchups?  I'm debating on snagging them and benching MIAMI ( AFTER this week vs. Cincy)  then rolling out SF everywhere.

You can always figure out week 16 when and if the time comes.

MIAMI has been great on and off all season, but 14-15-16 looks like this.......... KC - NE- LV and thats not exactly appealing. I think I'd much prefer rolling out SF in 14-15.

Thoughts????

TZM

Edited by TZMarkie
3 hours ago, TZMarkie said:

I have MIAMI in 4/4 leagues, and in one I have THE SAINTS as well. (I need to win weeks 13 AND 14 to try and back in to the playoffs in that league)

Anyhow, I have noticed that SAN FRAN is on the wire in 3/4 of the leagues I'm in, I picked them up in 1 already.

Their early playoff schedule looks like this.

WEEK 14 @home vs WAS

Week 15 @ DALLAS

Do any of you love these matchups?  I'm debating on snagging them and benching MIAMI ( AFTER this week vs. Cincy)  then rolling out SF everywhere.

You can always figure out week 16 when and if the time comes.

MIAMI has been great on and off all season, but 14-15-16 looks like this.......... KC - NE- LV and thats not exactly appealing. I think I'd much prefer rolling out SF in 14-15.

Thoughts????

TZM

I have NO and I'm trying to get SEA tonight in waivers.

My plan B for sure is SF. Ideally, I'd secure both SEA and SF, but I doubt I'll be so lucky. SF should clear waivers since the BUF matchup this week has them projected as a low scoring D. Most in my league aren't going to be thinking too far ahead since they're scrapping for a win this week to get into the playoffs.

On 12/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I am a Raider fan, and wouldn't trust the D even against the Jets. Outside of Crosby they lack pass rush and have a bottom tier blitz %, and are very variable (and mostly poor) at generating turnovers and INTs. 

I think the Raiders come angry to this game after getting absolutely embarrassed by the Falcons, and will be seeking revenge for both that game and the game they lost in an equally spectacularly embarrassing fashion to the Jets around this time last year. It's a true must-win if they want to keep playoff hopes alive.

So I think the potential is there, I'm just not sure if I'd trust them over potential other options.

LV D is the 2nd ranked available D on my wire (after SEA). 

Would think LV comes out with their heads on straight here after an embarrassing loss. That said, they are flying to the east coast and the NYJ have actually shown some spunk lately. Gore keeps pounding away and Mims/Perriman/Crowder haven't been too shabby. However, Darnold seems like a lock to give the ball to LV at least a couple times.

See something like a 28-23 win by LV where they don't get a ton of points for pts or yards, but probably get a couple turnovers. Maybe a D TD.

Also interested in LV D because I'm eyeballing Mims to replace my Will Fuller with Evans on bye. 

Blitzburgh is a plug n' play. Not used to not streaming. I did pick up SEA off of FA waiver wire just in case that PIT - BAL game got cancelled. 

SEA has a decent schedule and probably a top 10 play these next couple weeks.

Week 13 NYG at SEA (solid play with Jones likely out)

Week 14 NYJ at SEA (Turnover machine)

There's no way to hold a second D unless there's nobody I hit with a waiver wire pick up from the likes of Gore, Booker, Landry, or D Parker - yep, someone dropped Parker last week. In other words I am not in a big hurry to drop SEA unless I get an upgrade. 

• Like 1
  • Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread