Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

They got one sack in the final minute of the game. The Giants 6 drives ended at the 8, 19, 6, 44, 40, and 21. Their score was acceptable because a bad Giants offense bypassed two first half field goal attempts, but even then it was not a needle mover in our game.

This is a bad defense. They've put up three quality performances all season - 2 were fueled by pick 6's and the other was against Dwayne Haskins in week 3. The Jets, like the Giants, are a bad offense. How confident are you in a pick 6? Cause aside from that there isn't any established upside in this group. If the front doesn't get home then they get picked apart all game log. I'd love to be wrong about this unit for once, but I'm chasing upside somewhere else. 

Yeah...that is where I was going...can't trust it.

Not sure I want to trust the Bears as Trubisky ends up putting the D in a bad position...but the Jags suck and now have that inside track to the #1 pick.  Thinking that may be my best option.

Actually...just now seeing AZ is available against SF.  Will watch but with Mostert dinged again, Wilson took a ding...they have Aiyuk and maybe Kittle.  AZ seems to be coming on picking up sacks lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

13 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Yeah...that is where I was going...can't trust it.

Not sure I want to trust the Bears as Trubisky ends up putting the D in a bad position...but the Jags suck and now have that inside track to the #1 pick.  Thinking that may be my best option.

Actually...just now seeing AZ is available against SF.  Will watch but with Mostert dinged again, Wilson took a ding...they have Aiyuk and maybe Kittle.  AZ seems to be coming on picking up sacks lately.

Jags also don't have James Robinson. CHI is top 10 in fantasy points against every position but TE and the Jags don't have difference making weapons at that position. Throw out the Packers game (no Hicks) and despite the up-and-down offense and they've performed reasonably well most of the season. And this Jags offense even with James Robinson hasn't been any good in weeks. A CLE defense without Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward is the only time they've scored > 20 since week 9 cause they needed D/ST scores v GB and MIN.

AZ also has my attention, but I'm not applying any thought to them until Friday. The SF injury report will drive that decision. With Sunday's loss they have all the incentive to white flag this season and rest everyone battling various ailments, but they've been consistently aggressive with injuries all season so I'll believe it when I see it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Cleveland traveling? Or are they staying in NYC all week? I assume they're doing an extended road trip and staying in town for both games, right?

Minor, minor factor but at this point I'm looking for anything. Don't like any of my options. Looks like the highest-rated team available is Houston vs Cincy but not sure if I trust that. Or maybe pivot to NO vs. Minny?

Don't think I trust anyone right now lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, steelwind said:

For championship week I'm looking at:

Buff @ NE

TB @ Det

KC vs Atl

Chi @ Jax

I'm going BUF @NE.

Especially if Stidham starts. Feel like every time he threw the ball in preseason it was a pick 6.

BUF going up, NE going down.

As I NE fan I have to think that after years of getting their heads bashed in they want to come in here and do the same to the Pats. Considering NE can hardly move the ball, has no TE to speak of, hardly any WRs to speak of, and possibly with D. Harris out again, i'd say this is a pretty decent play.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Jags also don't have James Robinson. CHI is top 10 in fantasy points against every position but TE and the Jags don't have difference making weapons at that position. Throw out the Packers game (no Hicks) and despite the up-and-down offense and they've performed reasonably well most of the season. And this Jags offense even with James Robinson hasn't been any good in weeks. A CLE defense without Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward is the only time they've scored > 20 since week 9 cause they needed D/ST scores v GB and MIN.

AZ also has my attention, but I'm not applying any thought to them until Friday. The SF injury report will drive that decision. With Sunday's loss they have all the incentive to white flag this season and rest everyone battling various ailments, but they've been consistently aggressive with injuries all season so I'll believe it when I see it.

Mostert to IR...Mullens needs elbow surgery.  Looking more like Beathard of Jimmy G cant get out there.  Yeah between AZ and Chicago will likely grab both and make a decision later this week or grab one and try and secure Ahmed and figure out between him, Gaskin, Pollard, Wilson who I may flex (oh and thats if RoJo cant come back from Covid list)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shades said:

Is Cleveland traveling? Or are they staying in NYC all week?

No way are they staying, IMO. It's like a two and a half hour flight or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shades said:

Is Cleveland traveling? Or are they staying in NYC all week? I assume they're doing an extended road trip and staying in town for both games, right?

Minor, minor factor but at this point I'm looking for anything. Don't like any of my options. Looks like the highest-rated team available is Houston vs Cincy but not sure if I trust that. Or maybe pivot to NO vs. Minny?

Don't think I trust anyone right now lol

I dropped IND v the lifeless Steelers for the Saints against island game Kirk Cousins when they were surprisingly dropped last week. I'll need a compelling argument to pivot off them.

I'm more conflicted in my other, but I don't need to decide until the last minute. It's a 4 division ship and everyone else in mine was locked from making moves once they were eliminated. I've ridden the Rams to this point knowing I'd likely need to move on - looks like I'm deciding between CHI, AZ, MIA, KC, and IND.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shades said:

Beathard over Mullens isn't that much of a difference, right?

Very big difference. Mullens had teams seeking to acquire him in the offseason. Beathard did not. Beathard wasn't starting for a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Browns (@ Jets), Cardinals (vs. 49ers), and Rams (@ Seahawks).

I picked up the Browns in week 8 and the Cardinals in week 9 for this very moment when it became clear that I was likely to get a week 14 bye. However, now the moment has arrived I find myself completely unsure on who to start.

The Dolphins are also sitting on the waiver wire (@ Raiders) but my opponent has more blind bid dollars left then me so even if I wanted them I may not get them.

Sacks are worth 2 points in my league so those are king here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

They got one sack in the final minute of the game. The Giants 6 drives ended at the 8, 19, 6, 44, 40, and 21. Their score was acceptable because a bad Giants offense bypassed two first half field goal attempts, but even then it was not a needle mover in our game.

This is a bad defense. They've put up three quality performances all season - 2 were fueled by pick 6's and the other was against Dwayne Haskins in week 3. The Jets, like the Giants, are a bad offense. How confident are you in a pick 6? Cause aside from that there isn't any established upside in this group. If the front doesn't get home then they get picked apart all game log. I'd love to be wrong about this unit for once, but I'm chasing upside somewhere else. 

You like Mia better?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matchup says I should drop Indy vs. Pitt, but my heart says I've ridden them to double digits so many weeks now, surely I'm screwing myself by starting HOUSTON?!?!?!  Feels like one of those "don't trust a bad defense even in a good matchup" games

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

Matchup says I should drop Indy vs. Pitt, but my heart says I've ridden them to double digits so many weeks now, surely I'm screwing myself by starting HOUSTON?!?!?!  Feels like one of those "don't trust a bad defense even in a good matchup" games

I’d stick with Indy. Don’t overthink it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston rated super high everywhere but that D hasn't scored points all season. They average 2 a week in my league. They have as many weeks with negative scores as positive ones due to my score/yardage plateaus. Sure, sure, it's Cincy, but... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to grab TB at D this week (especially if Covid is making its way thru Detroit staff). If I don’t get them I’ll stick with the Rams and hope they get up for the big divisional game. Houston on wire and not putting in waiver bid at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shades said:

Houston rated super high everywhere but that D hasn't scored points all season. They average 2 a week in my league. They have as many weeks with negative scores as positive ones due to my score/yardage plateaus. Sure, sure, it's Cincy, but... 

My opponent just swapped out the WASH D for HOU D...and I think I'm happy about that.

Cinci could prove competent. They have to feel good about the PIT win where they ran the ball well. Should have success on the ground.

I feel like  when you get cute and go "crappy D vs good matchup" over "Excellent D with mediocre matchup" you always lose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Browns but I’m really leaning KC.  We get 5 points if you hold a team to under 100 rushing yards and 5 points under 14 points so it’s primarily a sack, INT and yardage on INT or FR’s. 
 

crazy to think Chiefs are a viable option?  Matt Ryan outside in December vs a team that can clinch the 1 seed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decisions between Buff, who I discredited last week, vs NE or Mia vs LV.  Really depends who has the better offense. I think LV can put some points up so may lean on Buffalo. One website I saw had them both kind of in the same tier and one had Mia as "hope you have better options " category.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bolldpt said:

Decisions between Buff, who I discredited last week, vs NE or Mia vs LV.  Really depends who has the better offense. I think LV can put some points up so may lean on Buffalo. One website I saw had them both kind of in the same tier and one had Mia as "hope you have better options " category.

BUF on the rise, NE on the decline. It's a statement game on MNF in NE. The changing of the guard means, I believe both the BUF offense and defense will be inspired. I'm looking at dropping PIT D in two leagues (can't believe it, but it's true). First league HOU, CHI or BUF and going BUF. Second league stick with PIT or go HOU. I can't stand HOU D. I'm not liking PIT D right now either, but may stick with them in the championship game. PIT falling apart and Big Ben is looking Wentz-like. 

Edited by Team Smokin'
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both the WFT and CAR defenses in one league. Back and forth between them. If Haskins starts the CAR is tempting since he’s a little more likely to throw picks. But I think WFT is going to play hard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised to see Washington hasn't come up much here. I've currently managed to put WFT, Cleveland, and Chicago on my roster with Tampa sitting on the wire. I'm currently starting Washington but that will likely change many times between now and Friday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bolldpt said:

Decisions between Buff, who I discredited last week, vs NE or Mia vs LV.  Really depends who has the better offense. I think LV can put some points up so may lean on Buffalo. One website I saw had them both kind of in the same tier and one had Mia as "hope you have better options " category.

Yeah I have both BUF and MIA Ds and I don't like Miami anymore. On the road travelling west...after a big win against NE...and it looks like D. Carr will play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

BUF on the rise, NE on the decline. It's a statement game on MNF in NE. The changing of the guard means, I believe both the BUF offense and defense will be inspired. 

Agree with this. I feel like Buffalo has the potential to crush NE.

As a NE fan I'm dreading it. On Monday night football, could see a blowout and all kinds of talk about "this is the end of the dynasty" blah blah blah.

As a fantasy football fan, I'm thinking I could see a lot of Buffalo celebrations after turnovers/TDs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Agree with this. I feel like Buffalo has the potential to crush NE.

As a NE fan I'm dreading it. On Monday night football, could see a blowout and all kinds of talk about "this is the end of the dynasty" blah blah blah.

As a fantasy football fan, I'm thinking I could see a lot of Buffalo celebrations after turnovers/TDs.

Josh Allen also starts for two teams along with Beasley as of late and Bass. Shifting from PIT D and its players to BUF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TDCommish said:

Anyone have the stones to start Houston this week? A bottom 5 defense ranked #2 by FBG and highly ranked by other sites as well.

There's a reason this #2 ranked D sits out there in both of my leagues. Nobody wants to jump and they haven't done anything ...yet. 

I can't do it. Hope it works out for those with the stones to start them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TDCommish said:

Anyone have the stones to start Houston this week? A bottom 5 defense ranked #2 by FBG and highly ranked by other sites as well.

I have the same issue and trying to decide between them and the LA Chargers (see above)! What did you decide?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robb said:

I have the same issue and trying to decide between them and the LA Chargers (see above)! What did you decide?

I haven't decided yet. Trying to figure out why they are so highly ranked when they just gave up 410 yards and 37 points to the Bears two weeks ago. I know they play the Bengals but a much better defense, Steelers, did nothing against them Monday night other than a few sacks. I can see top 7 or 8 but #2? I'm hesitant because they've been bad (real bad) most weeks outside of their game with Detroit when they (Watt) scored a TD.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to go with TB against Detroit: a good (not great) D, Stafford (if he plays, probably will) gets sacked a lot, and most of the Lions' defensive coaches are out with COVID.

My alternatives are LAC vs Denver, Philly vs Dallas, and Seattle vs LAR.

I think TB gives me the best chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridden the Dolphins and Rams all season. Don't really like Miami heading west this week, after a big division win. Rams are interesting despite being on the road. Seahawks offense isn't really clicking, and the Rams did a good job on them first meeting. They're also coming off an embarrassing loss. 

Also picked up the Chiefs this week. Seems like a good game script for a fantasy defense. They're also at home and it feels like a game they can rush the passer. Matt Ryan playing better last week gives me some pause, however. 

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by Houston turmOiler
left it too vague
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking for alternatives to the PIT defense for the first time all season. I think PIT will play better against a less mobile QB in Rivers, but I just don’t trust the PIT offense protecting the ball.

Right now I am leaning towards CAR defense which put a lot of pressure on Rodgers last week and had an extra day to prepare for WFT. I don’t see a lot of people talking about CAR, but I like their chances over HOU and LAC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, davidwb said:

I'm going to go with TB against Detroit: a good (not great) D, Stafford (if he plays, probably will) gets sacked a lot, and most of the Lions' defensive coaches are out with COVID.

I was strongly thinking about TB for many of the same reasons but I also have Buffalo @ NE and just picked up Arizona against a depleted 49ers team. Too many good choices but I am starting to lean towards Buffalo since the Pats have been so inept on offense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had decided to roll with CLE over TB, now reading that the CLE facility is shut down while they do contact tracing and the plane to NJ is delayed.

Scrambling now for options just in case -- looking at CAR (vs WAS) and LAC (vs DEN).

IND is there but don't like the match up, as is LAR against a SEA team that's hard to tell how the points might come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Had decided to roll with CLE over TB, now reading that the CLE facility is shut down while they do contact tracing and the plane to NJ is delayed.

Scrambling now for options just in case -- looking at CAR (vs WAS) and LAC (vs DEN).

IND is there but don't like the match up, as is LAR against a SEA team that's hard to tell how the points might come.

 

Had CLE locked and loaded. Dropped Arizona just this morning for maximum roster flexibility on Sunday (no point in waking up tomorrow morning with already-played players on my bench).

30 minutes later word broke out that CLE defense looks to be hit by covid.

I have them in there for now. PHI (vs DAL) already on the bench. Not sure if they're a better play than CAR (vs WFT)... no room to pick them up just yet but seriously considering the move for insurance...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...