What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (2 Viewers)

Denver owners - are you rolling with them after week 3 or streaming? They get a pretty rough stretch of Baltimore, Pitt, Vegas, and Cleveland week 4 - 7. 

Denver owners - are you rolling with them after week 3 or streaming? They get a pretty rough stretch of Baltimore, Pitt, Vegas, and Cleveland week 4 - 7. 

Definitely looking for a plan B next week, but want to hold them in the hope they are one of those "core" Ds that are solid all year.

I'm trying to get TN on waivers this week. They have jets and jags for 4-5. I'll have to figure something else out after those 2 games, but it buys me some time. 

What defenses so far are candidates to be true plug and plays (or at least, plug and play in all but the worst matchups)? I targeted Denver in my drafts, partly based on their matchups and partly on their talent, and have been very happy. They could be a keeper.

Carolina looks like it could be as well, along with New England (though you'll definitely want someone else for the Tampa match-up in two weeks).

Who else? Buffalo? Rams? Chargers?
New England looks solid. I enjoyed my 4 interceptions on Sunday.

If anyone can stop Brady, it’s bellicheck!!!

That game and the Cowboys game seemlike the only real threat on the near term horizon for them. And after that it’s smooth sailing except for two meetings with Buffalo later in the year.

Only defense Id drop them now for currently is Carolina, because they have the juiciest of matchups against a short week Texans this week.

Grabbed LV off waivers this morning.  AZ was there too, but I like LVs matchup.  I have NE as my normal D.  May try to stream these two for a few weeks.

Will see how this week goes but lamar threw a pick 6 vs KC, Pitts oline and Big Ben look dreadful, LV looks good so far but they don't have a good oline either.

Not great matchups but not too scary either.

Was able to get new England somehow.   Gonna roll with them through whatever
I just randomly grabbed one of these posts but this is what I am dealing with. A lot of Defenses are available on waivers in several of these smaller roster leagues where we can only carry about 1 defense or certainly no more than say 3 slots for the Kicker/Def positions and you try to go 2 if possible. 

I have a few more than NE I am looking at like Bills, Cards, Panthers, Bears, most teams gobbled up the Bucs, Ravens, Rams type teams but plenty out there to choose from. Would like to settle on 1 good one. 

I don't think the Patriots have a great upcoming schedule. Saints this week, who knows and then you have Tampa Bay and Dallas in 2 of the 3 weeks after that. But I like your thought about riding with them, their schedule has a few soft serves along the way. 

Arizona sucked balls!  Not sure who to get now
Up n down, on weeks when they have leads and the defense can pin their ears back, you're going to see some cheap points come your way IMHO. But then there's weeks they are going to be in 38-37 shootouts and you end up with 2-3 points for the day and a warm feeling. They have some playmakers and they will get their chances for some defensive scores. 

2-0 in the infamous NFC West, they're a good team IMO. 

I went with LV in one league dropping Washington (I'm so done with them) and sticking with Denver in my other one, they have been solid so far. Their CB's are nothing to mess around with and will only get better as the year progresses. My hope is to stream them with the Steelers def all year. 

I don't typically roster two DSTs this early in the year, but I woke up early this morning and no one had put a claim in on Carolina, and I had a couple droppable players (Gio, Callaway). So I picked them up to pair with Buffalo. That means I get two straight weeks of solid Ds facing Davis Mills.

After that, I'll probably drop Buffalo (they get @KC/@Tenn/bye) and roll with Carolina for awhile.

Most years, we get an out-of-nowhere D that people gradually realize is an every-week monster. Think Seattle '12, Denver '15, Jax '17, Chicago '18 and SF '19. I don't know if Carolina will be this year's, but it's in play.

I don't typically roster two DSTs this early in the year, but I woke up early this morning and no one had put a claim in on Carolina, and I had a couple droppable players (Gio, Callaway). So I picked them up to pair with Buffalo. That means I get two straight weeks of solid Ds facing Davis Mills.

After that, I'll probably drop Buffalo (they get @KC/@Tenn/bye) and roll with Carolina for awhile.

Most years, we get an out-of-nowhere D that people gradually realize is an every-week monster. Think Seattle '12, Denver '15, Jax '17, Chicago '18 and SF '19. I don't know if Carolina will be this year's, but it's in play.
PS Realized they were available in another league where I also had Buffalo, but didn't have anyone I was willing to drop. In that case I just dropped Buffalo. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Bills back for the Houston match-up next week, but for now I just figured Carolina was a better match-up this week and better prospect long-term. Worst case I have to start them against Dallas next week, which isn't ideal but is also not a total stay-away.

guess I’m rolling with AZ @ Jax

took my shot to get the Panthers - bid what I considered to be a very aggressive $4

DSTs are usually free or $1, maybe $2 if its a hot add

I finished 3rd

four bids were the second highest this year (Elijah Mitchell 6)

MFers have lost their minds in my league

guess I’m rolling with AZ @ Jax

took my shot to get the Panthers - bid what I considered to be a very aggressive $4

DSTs are usually free or $1, maybe $2 if its a hot add

I finished 3rd

four bids were the second highest this year (Elijah Mitchell 6)

MFers have lost their minds in my league

Lol. Mitchell went for 6 while Panthers went for how much (more than 4 obviously)? 

I just randomly grabbed one of these posts but this is what I am dealing with. A lot of Defenses are available on waivers in several of these smaller roster leagues where we can only carry about 1 defense or certainly no more than say 3 slots for the Kicker/Def positions and you try to go 2 if possible. 

I have a few more than NE I am looking at like Bills, Cards, Panthers, Bears, most teams gobbled up the Bucs, Ravens, Rams type teams but plenty out there to choose from. Would like to settle on 1 good one. 

I don't think the Patriots have a great upcoming schedule. Saints this week, who knows and then you have Tampa Bay and Dallas in 2 of the 3 weeks after that. But I like your thought about riding with them, their schedule has a few soft serves along the way. 
Their schedule opens up after that. So they are a good hold. But I agree. Tampa and Dallas will be tough matchups.

I just dropped them for Carolina and hopeful that no one will want to play them against the Tampa Bay Tom Brady’s due to a tough matchup and I may be able to sneak them on the roster again in free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timmay said:
Lol. Mitchell went for 6 while Panthers went for how much (more than 4 obviously)? 

sorry that was unclear

Elijah went for $38 (6 teams bid)

CAR went for $11 which might be the highest anyone has ever bid for a DST

LV went for $6

somebody even paid a buck for TEN

crazy but I think it’s bc the wire is stripped clean of every conceivable RB, we got guys stashing 6-8 RBs (18 x 12 with no limit’s)

Bears a semi sneaky play this weekend? OBJ on a playcount if he plays, no Landry; They force Baker to throw by taking Chubb/hunt out of the game with their front 7. Not expecting 2 td's again, but can they force the TO's? Or am I falling into a trap?

Tua out with fractured ribs, making Raiders an even sexier play. 

I have Saints @NE but  considering picking up Raiders(MIA) or Cowboys (PHI).    Leaning towards Raiders but I'm wondering if Brissett might actually bean upgrade for the Miami offense.

jobarules said:
hamsterdam said:
Will see how this week goes but lamar threw a pick 6 vs KC, Pitts oline and Big Ben look dreadful, LV looks good so far but they don't have a good oline either.

Not great matchups but not too scary either.

Lamar is averaging two turnovers/game and their OL is an issue (not that he's easy to sack).  About the only teams I would avoid playing Denver against are Tampa and KC, and even KC doesn't scare me like they used to.  I think Denver might just be a keeper for the year for me.

I'm on your side.  Came into the game with no prep.  He'll be better this week.

I agree Brissett will be better prepared and the Dolphins did make some stupid mistakes in their game against Buffalo. Would have to think they play better overall. But Raiders defense has played solid this year against 2 decent offenses. I don't think Miami's offense is better than the Ravens for sure and Steelers could have an argument there. 

Maxx Crosby has been a man among boys in the first 2 games, guys motor doesn't stop, Wright and Perryman have been everywhere too. The defense just looks swarming to me in their games. 

I agree Brissett will be better prepared and the Dolphins did make some stupid mistakes in their game against Buffalo. Would have to think they play better overall. But Raiders defense has played solid this year against 2 decent offenses. I don't think Miami's offense is better than the Ravens for sure and Steelers could have an argument there. 

Maxx Crosby has been a man among boys in the first 2 games, guys motor doesn't stop, Wright and Perryman have been everywhere too. The defense just looks swarming to me in their games. 

I also agree with you.  :D   My point was more that Brissett won't be helpless like some other qb's this week may be (Wilson, the Texans kid).

Stepping away from Week 3 matchups who might join Carolina as solid plu n plays (IF that is what the Panthers are):

• Minnesota (17% owned) - 28th in yards allowed & 27th in points allowed, but hear me out. 8 sacks is 2nd in the league, 2nd in 3 n out series (6), 5th in tackles for loss (12.) Have a couple interceptions and a TD. Zimmer always has a good D, last year was the exception.
  • Dallas (4% owned) - new year, who dis. 2nd in interceptions (4) and fumble recoveries (2.) They have speed and create a lot of havoc. Favorable schedule. Keep an eye on them, as soon as they have gg they’ll get snapped up bc howboutdemboys right.
  • Philadelphia (5% owned) - 4th in YA & 2nd in PA. Only 3 sacks and no turnovers so nobody has really noticed but could be OK.
  • Cincinnati (2% owned) - mostly piques my interest bc they have 6 sacks and have very tasty matchups in Weeks 4, 6, 8 - good D to hold as a combo with another.
Any others who are lightly owned ATM? Chargers come to mind but given their schedule near term, maybe wait a month before that move.

A good strategy some years is to identify the turnover QBs or offensively challenged teams. This works great some years, but other years, not so much.

Teams I love to see playing my streaming DST:

1. MIA
  2. NYJ
  3. JAX
  4. NYG (unless it’s WFT lol)
Teams I’m not skeered of:

1. ATL
  2. CIN
  3. DET
  4. IND
  5. NO
  6. NE
Any other turnover machine QBs or weak Offenses?

Stepping away from Week 3 matchups who might join Carolina as solid plu n plays (IF that is what the Panthers are):

• Minnesota (17% owned) - 28th in yards allowed & 27th in points allowed, but hear me out. 8 sacks is 2nd in the league, 2nd in 3 n out series (6), 5th in tackles for loss (12.) Have a couple interceptions and a TD. Zimmer always has a good D, last year was the exception.
  • Dallas (4% owned) - new year, who dis. 2nd in interceptions (4) and fumble recoveries (2.) They have speed and create a lot of havoc. Favorable schedule. Keep an eye on them, as soon as they have gg they’ll get snapped up bc howboutdemboys right.
  • Philadelphia (5% owned) - 4th in YA & 2nd in PA. Only 3 sacks and no turnovers so nobody has really noticed but could be OK.
  • Cincinnati (2% owned) - mostly piques my interest bc they have 6 sacks and have very tasty matchups in Weeks 4, 6, 8 - good D to hold as a combo with another.
Any others who are lightly owned ATM? Chargers come to mind but given their schedule near term, maybe wait a month before that move.

A good strategy some years is to identify the turnover QBs or offensively challenged teams. This works great some years, but other years, not so much.

1. MIA
  2. NYJ
  3. JAX

1. ATL
  2. CIN
  3. DET
  4. IND
  5. NO
  6. NE
I would put the Bears on the list.  Dalton is a turnover machine and Fields will have some growing pains.  

hamsterdam said:
That's a tough one, as Denver has looked good, but honestly underwhelmed a bit in my opinion given the juicy matchups. Now Chubb is out for a while. Ravens are rough next week, but Big Ben looks terrible so not too concerned with that one. Vegas a division game, so could be a tight one. If I have room, I may look for a streamer for those weeks and hold Denver to see how they fare against some real competition. 

1. MIA
  2. NYJ
  3. JAX

1. ATL
  2. CIN
  3. DET
  4. IND
  5. NO
  6. NE
Pittsburgh

Picked up Carolina. Hopefully can ride them and the Ravens the rest of the way. Gets costly with FAAB to be chasing defenses each week

Picked up Carolina. Hopefully can ride them and the Ravens the rest of the way. Gets costly with FAAB to be chasing defenses each week
I agree and strangely it is across different league types. I tried to grab Panthers with $7 bid (in twelve team league with 18 roster spots and only $100 budget)  and wasn't close they went for $26 !

I ended up dropping the Saints in order to pick up the Raiders this week.  I simply could not pass it up. 

I'm totally prepared to watch Miami put up 30 on Raiders now that I am starting them though...

Me and my cousin both put 13 (out of 200) on the Panthers and I won by virtue of tie-breakers... I saw that someone dropped the Patriots, though,  and immediately picked them up. I traded the Panthers to my cousin for $12 and every feels good now.

Denver Broncos or Carolina Panthers this week?

Denver has 10 points YTD in our scoring system while Carolina leads our league with 19 points YTD.

Both are in great positions to score well this week, and normally I would lean towards Denver as they are playing at home, but something about the Texans starting Davis Mills on a short week screams smash play to me.

Denver has 10 points YTD in our scoring system while Carolina leads our league with 19 points YTD.

Both are in great positions to score well this week, and normally I would lean towards Denver as they are playing at home, but something about the Texans starting Davis Mills on a short week screams smash play to me.
I’m a simple man… when I see Faust not posting a link asking for help… I answer. 

Because your links help me every day.

Carolina is a GOOD, maybe great defense, playing against a garbage football team with a fresh in-experienced QB thrown into the fire on short week. I truly believe they are an auto start tonight over anyone. I believe it so much I dropped New England for them after their 4 pick performance.

Carolina favored by 8 and the over under is 43, making the score something like 26-16 if vegas knows.

Denver will get there’s as well, but I think the jets will try to reign it in a little after last week’s results and play safer. Not that it’s that easy.

Denver favored by 10.5 and the over under is 41.5, so vegas seems to like the Broncos defense to hold them more. 

You can’t go wrong with either though. So it’s a coin flip, but I give the edge to the Panthers due to Thursday night and fresh meat under center.

Curious about NEXT week with DEN facing Baltimore.

TN @NYJ or Wash @ATL?

Want to get ahead of the game and solve this problem now vs. battling with others early next week.

Aside: TN actually has a nice little run of opponents. Indy minus Wentz this week, @NYJ, and then @JAX. Not a great D by any means, but this offense could just kill the clock with Henry against NYJ, JAX and limit offensive opportunities as well.

Curious about NEXT week with DEN facing Baltimore.

TN @NYJ or Wash @ATL?

Want to get ahead of the game and solve this problem now vs. battling with others early next week.

Aside: TN actually has a nice little run of opponents. Indy minus Wentz this week, @NYJ, and then @JAX. Not a great D by any means, but this offense could just kill the clock with Henry against NYJ, JAX and limit offensive opportunities as well.

Anyone versus NYJ is the easy answer.

I dropped Broncos for Panthers. They hadn't really got the pass rush I hoped for and now Chubb is on IR. Panthers seem to be flying around everywhere. Chubb being gone was the deciding factor for me.

I agree and strangely it is across different league types. I tried to grab Panthers with $7 bid (in twelve team league with 18 roster spots and only $100 budget)  and wasn't close they went for $26 !

I stream DST religiously when possible so I like dedicate 2 roster spots to doing so. I am always picking up a DST one week ahead for $1 FAAB in my 12 team 16 roster keeper league.

Pickings are slimmer in my 14 team 25 roster SF league but I had CAR for week 1 & 3 (should've played them in week 2 but picked up SEA, bleh) and had a choice between CIN or TEN for week 4. Went with CIN. Could always change my mind but I think TEN is B-A-D.

Users who are viewing this thread