What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LFG Magic.

I am headed down to Orlando for the parade.
Tomorrow night's game against the Heat could easily be for the 8 seed.  Would be great experience for Orlando.

BTW - Zaire Smith getting some minutes late for Philly.  Nice to see him back.

Tomorrow night's game against the Heat could easily be for the 8 seed.  Would be great experience for Orlando.

BTW - Zaire Smith getting some minutes late for Philly.  Nice to see him back.
Correct. But anyone that knows, knows Florida is Magic country

Another garbage game from the Thunder tonight. In terms of teams that are still trying they are one of the worst in the league. 

Major injury for the Blazers in double OT.  Nurkic just suffered one of those look away leg injuries.  He's out for the year (and probably beginning of next season).  Bottom of foot/ankle/leg went wrong way. 😟
The ref kicked him in the foot while he was lying on his back.  WTF!?

Another 1st round exit now secured for Portland. So it goes....
The Nurk injury just sucks.  I was a huge Nurk fan from the moment the Nuggets drafted him.  When he got traded to Portland--I thought he would have a huge impact on the Blazers and posted several comments about it in the NBA thread from years ago.   With Nurk--I felt like this years Blazers had the potential to hit the WCF and possibly more.   Now--I'm not quite sure.  I still think they could go pretty far--but a lot of it is based on the matchups they get.  Damn shame for the Blazers and Nurk. Dude was playing the best basketball of his life. 

The Nurk injury just sucks.  I was a huge Nurk fan from the moment the Nuggets drafted him.  When he got traded to Portland--I thought he would have a huge impact on the Blazers and posted several comments about it in the NBA thread from years ago.   With Nurk--I felt like this years Blazers had the potential to hit the WCF and possibly more.   Now--I'm not quite sure.  I still think they could go pretty far--but a lot of it is based on the matchups they get.  Damn shame for the Blazers and Nurk. Dude was playing the best basketball of his life. 
City is cursed.  Between Sam Bowie, Greg Oden, the demise of Brandon Roy, the ruptured achilles of Wes Matthews that doomed one of the better Blazer teams I've seen since I moved here in '96 - not to mention the 14 point 4th quarter collapse in Game 7 vs the Lakers - and now Nurk....man.  Sucks.  All teams/cities have their injuries and bad luck, but for a little town with only one major sports franchise (sorry Timbers' fans, but MLS is minor league soccer) it sure seems like the Rose City takes it on the chin hard.  

Just hope Nurk is okay.  By all accounts, seems like a great guy who was thrilled to get a chance here when Denver traded him.  And, this city LOVES him.

Perfect description of Harden's defense :lmao:
Harden's defense is nothing special, but do you acknowledge that it has greatly improved over the last couple seasons?  Based on what I've seen, it appears that he's gone from "shameful" to "not great, but not all that bad either."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a lot like Iverson. Wasn't great at defense but he's quick and can get steals to make up for the rest.

Harden's defense is nothing special, but do you acknowledge that it has greatly improved over the last couple seasons?  Based on what I've seen, it appears that he's gone from "shameful" to "not great, but not all that bad either."
He's about to win his second MVP award and it isn't because of his defensive skills or lack thereof.  I'm reminded of the reporter who pointed out to Bum Phillips that Earl Campbell didn't finish his one mile run in training camp and Bum shot back "Well, when it's first and a mile, we won't hand it to him".  Harden isn't being counted on for defense.  That not why he here.  

Damian Lillard sucks at defense too and I don't see the haters trashing him like they do Harden. 

gm i am sorry about your brohans leg that was horrible and i wish him well in his recovery take that to the bank bromigo

if anteaternintendo does not win the mvp that is ok because everyone knows he is and knows that harden is a fraud who is helped by touchy feely foul rules and flopmaster general tactics that mean he will not be remembered as a great player but only as a great thespian cripes he is the nick cage of the nba how is he not in the movie look all i know is giannis the real deal and that is the stone cold truth take that to the bank bromigos 

I haven't been paying as much attention as usual to the NBA, so apologies ... but is Giannis really not going to win the MVP? How is that possible? He is almost as good a passer this year (Harden's assist numbers way down this year and their turnover ratios are identical), has a better TS% and better PER, and is the clear leader and best player on a better team. There's a reasonable argument that it's a close race that only slightly favors Harden before you get to the massive rebounding disparity and the even more massive disparity on the defensive end. I get that Harden is way better at defense now and unfairly maligned, but Zach Lowe says Giannis is the defensive player of the year for chrissakes. From his last "Ten Things" column:

A few speedy, giant centers -- including Joel Embiid and Rudy Gobert -- cover this much space. Draymond Green is a genius who moves almost ahead of the ball, but he can't match Antetokounmpo's speed, leaping ability or length. Ditto for Paul George. Antetokounmpo is the only one among them who can credibly guard every player in the NBA.

He is (again) averaging almost 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks per game -- rare territory. Opponents are shooting 53 percent at the rim with Antetokounmpo nearby, one of the lowest marks in the league, per NBA.com. They have scored a laughable 0.68 points per possession when they isolate against him -- the eighth-stingiest figure among 177 guys who have faced at least 100 one-on-one attacks, per Second Spectrum. No one bothers trying to post him up; he defends one such play per 100 possessions, via Second Spectrum. He smothers both sides of a pick-and-roll.

Antetokounmpo may end the season as favorite for both MVP and Defensive Player of the Year. Yikes.
I admit I haven't looked, but I'm fairly certain Harden doesn't have opponent shooting % numbers like that.

How is this close?  

I haven't been paying as much attention as usual to the NBA, so apologies ... but is Giannis really not going to win the MVP? How is that possible? He is almost as good a passer this year (Harden's assist numbers way down this year and their turnover ratios are identical), has a better TS% and better PER, and is the clear leader and best player on a better team. There's a reasonable argument that it's a close race that only slightly favors Harden before you get to the massive rebounding disparity and the even more massive disparity on the defensive end. I get that Harden is way better at defense now and unfairly maligned, but Zach Lowe says Giannis is the defensive player of the year for chrissakes. From his last "Ten Things" column:

I admit I haven't looked, but I'm fairly certain Harden doesn't have opponent shooting % numbers like that.

How is this close?  
I am the least qualified poster to answer this, but current Vegas odds have Giannis and Harden pretty damn close.  I mean, the guy put his team on his back when Paul and Capella were hurt and is breaking scoring records in the process.  

But Giannis is also the best player on the best team (record wise) so that's a feather in his cap.  

gm i am sorry about your brohans leg that was horrible and i wish him well in his recovery take that to the bank bromigo
Thanks GB.  Sad day in our small city.  Everybody I encounter has a case of teh sads.  

For perspective on the kind of guy Nurk is, this from Dame:

For Lillard, who has grown close with Nurkic over the years, the moment was “beyond bittersweet.” Lillard said the two talk, text and Facetime daily. Nurkic attended the first birthday party of Lillard’s 1 year-old son, Damian Jr., and had grown so tight with Lillard and his family he was known to randomly stop by Lillard’s house for an impromptu visit.

“This is all fragile,” Lillard said. “Everything about it is, other than the friendships that you have. Every little thing about the game and about the NBA season and the NBA career is fragile. (You’re) on the team one day, gone the next. You can be healthy one day, injured the next. You have a job one day, fired the next.

"That’s my little big brother. The other day after practice, Nurk just came to my house to see my son. No reason at all … he wanted to come by and see the baby. I think that says what our relationship is. It’s unfortunate.”
:(

I am the least qualified poster to answer this, but current Vegas odds have Giannis and Harden pretty damn close.  I mean, the guy put his team on his back when Paul and Capella were hurt and is breaking scoring records in the process.  

But Giannis is also the best player on the best team (record wise) so that's a feather in his cap.  

The Zach Lowe thing about his defense is what makes me think this shouldn't be close. I recognize that Harden doesn't suck on D and may even be above average, but Giannis is apparently otherworldly. Seems like if it's even close after looking at scoring and rebounding and whatnot- and it appears to be- that being a DPOY caliber defender should easily put him over the top

Let's see what he does in this year's postseason.  Regular season accomplishments don't impress me (including the Warriors 73 win season because I know someone will bring it up).

Let's see what he does in this year's postseason.  Regular season accomplishments don't impress me (including the Warriors 73 win season because I know someone will bring it up).
Oh, no doubt that he's quit in some key playoff games.  Very frustrating.

He's about to win his second MVP award and it isn't because of his defensive skills or lack thereof.  I'm reminded of the reporter who pointed out to Bum Phillips that Earl Campbell didn't finish his one mile run in training camp and Bum shot back "Well, when it's first and a mile, we won't hand it to him".  Harden isn't being counted on for defense.  That not why he here.  

Damian Lillard sucks at defense too and I don't see the haters trashing him like they do Harden. 
I'm a Rockets fan but fairly certain Giannis will take the MVP.  I don't think Harden winning it last year helps his cause.  

edit:  if you're fairly certain on Harden winning, you should put some bets down in Vegas.  Giannis is currently listed as a -300 favorite at Caesars with Harden coming in at +225.

Thanks GB.  Sad day in our small city.  Everybody I encounter has a case of teh sads.  
there is always room for my good buddy gm on the bucks train bromigo we welcome you with full honors but we do not welcome any of the johnny come lately warriors fans who just discovered basketball about four years ago i just assume they are all milenials who will move on to a video game or possibly a avacado store next when the warriors are bad again they just have no staying power take that to the bank bromigos 

I'm a Rockets fan but fairly certain Giannis will take the MVP.  I don't think Harden winning it last year helps his cause. 
And he's 8 wins ahead of Harden. That will likely factor in even if it shouldn't. And remember, it's the writers that vote. Giannis is pretty likeable and a better story.

Nurk has grown up a lot since he left Denver. His career was on the precipice and I'm glad he started putting it on his own shoulder and earning it through the hard work. Sad that he's out. Chance the Nuggets could have faced them in playoffs and that would have been a Balkan Dance Party - would easily have been the most watched series in that region in the history of the NBA. Nuggets and Trail Blazers are always good battles.

And he's 8 wins ahead of Harden. That will likely factor in even if it shouldn't. And remember, it's the writers that vote. Giannis is pretty likeable and a better story.
I hope you are right.  Not to take anything away from Harden--as he's having a great season--but Giannis has been insane on both ends of the court.   I'd like to see Giannis win it.  My fear is that if I remember correctly--both CP3 and Capella missed a decent amount of time. That fact might lead some writers to lean towards Harden.   

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Watching Houston play is rough.

Almost every offensive possession ends with a Rockets player complaining about not getting a foul call.  It's painful, even by NBA standards in this regard.

SWC said:
there is always room for my good buddy gm on the bucks train bromigo we welcome you with full honors but we do not welcome any of the johnny come lately warriors fans who just discovered basketball about four years ago i just assume they are all milenials who will move on to a video game or possibly a avacado store next when the warriors are bad again they just have no staying power take that to the bank bromigos 
CHOO-CHOO

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
trader jake said:
Watching Houston play is rough.

Almost every offensive possession ends with a Rockets player complaining about not getting a foul call.  It's painful, even by NBA standards in this regard.
Frustrating game to watch for a Rockets fan.  Bucks really took them out of their flow in the 3rd.  Harden and Paul do whine a lot but I've gotten so used to it I barely notice.  

Funny to see Harden score 61 points and not even a mention of it here.  Business as usual I suppose.  Putting up those type of numbers in 38 minutes is pretty impressive.  
Funny to see Harden go 9/26 from the field and lose by 14 to the East's best team.  Business as usual I suppose when he disappears against the elite teams.  Putting up those type of numbers in 38 minutes is pretty sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread