What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize it's churlish to complain about the refs, but there were so many bad calls at the end of the GS-Min game that everyone was laughing  :lmao:
No, the Warriors were laughing because they are a bunch of crybabies who think "We are the greatest, calls should never go against us."  The foul by Minnesota on Durant was before the shooting motion (Durant was still on his way down catching the ball when he was fouled), and Durant blatantly grabbed the player on the call with .5 left. Easy call.  Curry is lucky he didn't get a T for pointing repeatedly at the official the way he did after making the 3. 

What do you mean by this? Serious question.What do you mean by this? Serious question.
For me, iso basketball is pretty boring in general, so watching the Rockets set a high pick that hopefully forces a switch to get either Paul or Harden in a 1-on-1 situation all game isn't any fun to begin with. They run more than twice as much iso as any other team in the league. From there, watching Harden (5th year running with the most FTA in the league and 6 out of the last 7) and Paul use all their tricks to get bull#### foul calls and then complain to the refs when they don't get a ticky-tack call is horrible entertainment. Both Harden and Paul are great players and deserving of their accolades, but it is a terrible brand of basketball for fans. 

If you an NBA GM starting a team from scratch and every player is available to you and wants to play for you, who are you picking ahead of Zion?

For me it's Giannis and that's it.  AD would be close.

I realize it's churlish to complain about the refs, but there were so many bad calls at the end of the GS-Min game that everyone was laughing  :lmao:
I’m a Wolves fan and that may have been two of the worst calls of the season, both against the Warriors in the last five seconds of OT.  And both cost the Warriors the game.  Pretty terrible.

For me, iso basketball is pretty boring in general, so watching the Rockets set a high pick that hopefully forces a switch to get either Paul or Harden in a 1-on-1 situation all game isn't any fun to begin with. They run more than twice as much iso as any other team in the league. From there, watching Harden (5th year running with the most FTA in the league and 6 out of the last 7) and Paul use all their tricks to get bull#### foul calls and then complain to the refs when they don't get a ticky-tack call is horrible entertainment. Both Harden and Paul are great players and deserving of their accolades, but it is a terrible brand of basketball for fans. 
As a Rockets fan, I think this is a fair take. Only quibble I would have is to say that they use their “tricks” to get actual foul calls, as opposed to bull#### foul calls. I understand the complaints that Rockets basketball, and James Harden’s style specifically, is a boring brand of basketball. What I don’t get is people suggesting that the league shouldn’t allow that style of play.

As a Rockets fan, I think this is a fair take. Only quibble I would have is to say that they use their “tricks” to get actual foul calls, as opposed to bull#### foul calls. I understand the complaints that Rockets basketball, and James Harden’s style specifically, is a boring brand of basketball. What I don’t get is people suggesting that the league shouldn’t allow that style of play.
Dubs fan here and agree.  Not his fault guys make crappy contests.  His step back move, more often than not is legit.  Phenomenal footwork.  I can see why a lot of guys here don't get the travel rules in the NBA as most of them played, if anything at all, by NFHS/NCAA rules, but the ignorance regarding what a defender is entitled/restricted to is a head scratcher.

No, the Warriors were laughing because they are a bunch of crybabies who think "We are the greatest, calls should never go against us."  The foul by Minnesota on Durant was before the shooting motion (Durant was still on his way down catching the ball when he was fouled), and Durant blatantly grabbed the player on the call with .5 left. Easy call.  Curry is lucky he didn't get a T for pointing repeatedly at the official the way he did after making the 3. 
My apologies for picking on the visually impaired, but: evidence
I think that supports his case.

Curry is clutch though.

I mean, you could have that argument. :shrug:

What do you think the sixerscould get for Simmons?  I keep going back and forth on him. I love his vision and when he gets in the post, but he is a liabilty in the 4th. Would they be better off with a more traditional PG who can hit a jumper and 3 while paying Harris and Butler whatever it takes to stay?

Last edited by a moderator:
A foul is a foul.  I get that 8,333 fouls go uncalled a night in the NBA, but Durant grabbed the guy. It was plain as day.  
We’ll have to agree to disagree.  That should’ve without question been the 8,334th foul that went uncalled in that game. There was a zero percent chance for Towns to catch that pass, let alone score, regardless of the hold.  That’s a brutal call.  

What do you think the sixerscould get for Simmons?  I keep going back and forth on him. I love his vision and when he gets in the post, but he is a liabilty in the 4th. Would they be better off with a more traditional PG who can hit a jumper and 3 while paying Harris and Butler whatever it takes to stay?
I was still a huge believer in Simmons at the start of this year, but I don’t feel like he has really improved much this year.  I guess the foul shooting has taken a slight tick up, but otherwise, I’m just not sure.  

I dont know if there are a lot of trade constructions that’s make sense, because it would have to be a pretty specific type of team already set up and most teams are pretty good at pg right now.  

How about to New Orleans for Jrue?  Matching the salaries would be tough as of now though.  SInce they can’t trade for a few months and there are so many free agents, it is tough to figure out at the moment.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.  That should’ve without question been the 8,334th foul that went uncalled in that game. There was a zero percent chance for Towns to catch that pass, let alone score, regardless of the hold.  That’s a brutal call.  
Tough call, I agree, but it was the right one. And given how difficult it is for a player to score on a tip-in in that situation, Durant grabbing the guy the way he did was really stupid.  And it cost them the game.  Knowing what a sensitive guy Durant is, I am sure he cried himself to sleep last night, but he will be fine in a few months once he wins another title on the 73-win team whose bandwagon he jumped on. :yes:  

Just catching up on the Warriors / Timberwolves deal.

Kevin Durant foul was pretty close because he basically started shooting as soon as he caught it, but the contact was immediate. It was close and could have gone either way. However, that call on Durant was absolutely the correct call. When the hold starts the ball isn't even out of the passer's hand yet. He calls the foul immediately and it was clearly a foul.

I hope the NBA suspends them for this BS calling the refs out after the game and talking trash to them during the game. If I've ever hated a team as much as this I don't remember it 

I was still a huge believer in Simmons at the start of this year, but I don’t feel like he has really improved much this year.  I guess the foul shooting has taken a slight tick up, but otherwise, I’m just not sure.  

I dont know if there are a lot of trade constructions that’s make sense, because it would have to be a pretty specific type of team already set up and most teams are pretty good at pg right now.  

How about to New Orleans for Jrue?  Matching the salaries would be tough as of now though.  SInce they can’t trade for a few months and there are so many free agents, it is tough to figure out at the moment.
i think you guys are pretty nutty with this talk about trying to move Simmons. Can the Sixers rely on a healthy Embiid for the next 5-6 years? Simmons is a dominant player and there is a reason talk about him as a top 15 player. Every ESPN-ite points to the jumper, but he has improved a lot of little things this year. His post play, his off-ball movement, etc. and that is just offense

i think you guys are pretty nutty with this talk about trying to move Simmons. Can the Sixers rely on a healthy Embiid for the next 5-6 years? Simmons is a dominant player and there is a reason talk about him as a top 15 player. Every ESPN-ite points to the jumper, but he has improved a lot of little things this year. His post play, his off-ball movement, etc. and that is just offense
Yeah? What reason is that? He's the third best player on his team and the team has been a minor disappointment.

Yeah? What reason is that? He's the third best player on his team and the team has been a minor disappointment.
i'd say 2nd best. have to love how he doesn't pad his stats either. could easily triple double a night, but like tonight he was at 20, 9 and 10 for most of the 4th and didn't feel the need to grab a useless Reb to ensure the triple double. plays better defense then most in that top 15 too

ETA: my bad, he is short the assist not Reb

Just catching up on the Warriors / Timberwolves deal.

Kevin Durant foul was pretty close because he basically started shooting as soon as he caught it, but the contact was immediate. It was close and could have gone either way. However, that call on Durant was absolutely the correct call. When the hold starts the ball isn't even out of the passer's hand yet. He calls the foul immediately and it was clearly a foul.

I hope the NBA suspends them for this BS calling the refs out after the game and talking trash to them during the game. If I've ever hated a team as much as this I don't remember it 
Steph Curry is such a baby.  And for all his ample talent on the court his petulance makes him insufferable.  

That's as too low as modogg's assessment is too high. It would not have surprised me if Simmons had become the third best player in the league this season - that's how much better he does what he does than anyone else in ball. But his shortcomings this year are his own fault, poorly as he has been coached. In a league where a rim protector is considered a bit of a liability of he can't pot the odd trey, it is the height of arrogance to believe a point guard can go completely without one. But Simmons picture of himself is just that stilted. That neither he nor Embiid - perhaps the two most special talents in the game - still have no concept of how to turn their gifts into win shares is only half (but a disgustingly incompetent half) because of their coach. Each their insular senses of self (fortified by counselors & hangers-on, i'm sure) have them believing that doing what they do well is all they have to do. There is no hunger to win there, only the need to be seen as special, separate. Simmons will spend an extended offseason working on hyping his strengths instead of shoring up his weaknesses because he would have to admit weakness to do that. He's the Trump of roundball - convinced he's virtuous because his STD test was negative.

makes him insufferable.  
lol that has more to do with him eliminating your team three of the last four years.

Rockets fans sure are cranky lately.  Must be running out of time to celebrate anything.

116 three point attempts in the Bucks v Hawks game today

that's a record, right?? 
This was a crazy game. Every Bucks player who played in the game made at least one 3 pt. basket.  Giannis, Middleton, Mirotic and Bledsoe DNP (and Brogdon obviously). Tim Frazier, who they just signed a week or so ago, played 53 minutes, had 20 points and 15 assists.  Bonzie Colson, who mostly plays for the Bucks G league team (the Herd) had 15 pts/16 rebounds. 

116 three point attempts in the Bucks v Hawks game today

that's a record, right?? 
not sure how to do a combined 3PA in a game search, but this is all teams with 58 in 1 game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&team_seed_cmp=eq&opp_seed_cmp=eq&year_min=1947&year_max=2019&is_range=N&game_num_type=team&c1stat=fg3a&c1comp=gt&c1val=58&order_by=pts

so i'm guessing yes, as the highest total of these games is 108 (ATL-CHI on 3/1 of this year)

Thunder, oof. Dropping off a little bit was predictable but I didn’t think it’d get this bad. They are not one of the best 16 teams in the league right now. 

Man, watching the college tournament today made me realize just how much the refs coddle NBA players. I just have to shake my head at the touch foul crud the NBA officials call.

tjnc09 said:
lol that has more to do with him eliminating your team three of the last four years.

Rockets fans sure are cranky lately.  Must be running out of time to celebrate anything.
I'm excited for the chance to play them again.  They are an exceptional team and he is a great plsyer... but preening at the refs? Come on...

Nuggets @ Warriors on Tuesday.  Nuggets only one game back of the Warriors for HCA - can they actually compete in this game?

ESPN obtained a series of text messages between the woman and Porzingis, as well as emails between her and the Knicks. The texts and emails portray a woman who wanted to pursue a romantic relationship with Porzingis in the aftermath of the alleged assault in February 2018

Porzingis' attorney, Roland G. Riopelle, said in a statement Saturday, "We are aware of the complaint that was made against Mr. Porzingis [on Thursday] and unequivocally deny the allegations."

The statement also noted that Porzingis' legal team made a formal referral on the player's behalf to federal law enforcement on Dec. 20, 2018, "based on the accuser's extortionate demands. We also alerted the National Basketball Association months ago and they are aware of the ongoing investigation of the accuser by federal law enforcement."

I can't tell what's real and what's shtick any more
Let's assume that's real - who would you take over Zion? It's not that out there when you start going through the names. I agree with him that Giannis is the only no doubter. 

I would still take Curry, Harden, Davis, and Durant over Zion but I can see the argument. Jokic is an interesting one but I'd go Zion. Embiid will break eventually, I'd pass on that. LeBron is a no as well, which would have been unfathomable 6 months ago. Who else is even worth mentioning? Luka? Ben Simmons? Give me Zion. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread