What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's assume that's real - who would you take over Zion? It's not that out there when you start going through the names. I agree with him that Giannis is the only no doubter. 

I would still take Curry, Harden, Davis, and Durant over Zion but I can see the argument. Jokic is an interesting one but I'd go Zion. Embiid will break eventually, I'd pass on that. LeBron is a no as well, which would have been unfathomable 6 months ago. Who else is even worth mentioning? Luka? Ben Simmons? Give me Zion. 
Luka definitely.  Probably still Kawhi.  Probably Townes. Sliiight lean to Ben.  

I think Zion's shot is going to be a problem and I do wonder who he will guard, though the scouting reports seem to think that he will be quick enough to hang on the perimeter.

What the question really does is to highlight how poor the last 5 drafts have ultimately been, as most of the guys who are the top players are on the older side, so you really have a lot of debate about the certainty of 3-4 star years vs. the potential of Zion's full career.  Though we always have these kinds of thought experiments and the potential tends to be more tantalizing even though plenty of things happen to derail it.

Nuggets @ Warriors on Tuesday.  Nuggets only one game back of the Warriors for HCA - can they actually compete in this game?
Why not?  Assuming the Warriors will take any regular season game seriously isn't the best bet.

Man, watching the college tournament today made me realize just how much the refs coddle NBA players. I just have to shake my head at the touch foul crud the NBA officials call.
It's the exact opposite.  College refs call all kinds of weak fouls.  In the NBA the players get to play a lot more, which helps make the product a hundred times more watchable.  The officials in college basketball are also very, very poor compared to those in the Association.

I do wish the NBA would curtail the complaining to the refs by the players though.  Some games you just want to tell both teams to shut the hell up and just play.  Thankfully that's just not a thing in college.

i just have a hard time saying i would start a franchise around a guy that has never played an nba game i mean greg oden and sam bowie mike oleywacandy kwame brown andrea bargnani and markelle fultz all kind of say to me maybe lets see if the game translates and if they can hold up for a couple o seasons before we go starting from scratch centered around a guy but hey that is just me talkin take that to the bank brohans 

i just have a hard time saying i would start a franchise around a guy that has never played an nba game i mean greg oden and sam bowie mike oleywacandy kwame brown andrea bargnani and markelle fultz all kind of say to me maybe lets see if the game translates and if they can hold up for a couple o seasons before we go starting from scratch centered around a guy but hey that is just me talkin take that to the bank brohans 
It's definitely not the safe play, but you're kidding yourself if you think he'd last long. Just a matter of where you draw that line. 

If they don't take this game seriously and come out swinging I'll readily admit that I don't know this team-that I've been following for almost four decades-nearly as well as I thought I did. 
Enjoy it while it lasted if your other thread isn't an April Fool's joke 😉

Why not?  Assuming the Warriors will take any regular season game seriously isn't the best bet.
They can basically lock up home court advantage.  I don't really consider Denver an elite team - which is partly why they lost to GS by 35 and 17 this year.  

The slight possibility of getting Portland in the second round is also really attractive.  

You sure? Currently the line is GSW -8 and I think it's the best bet on the board. Care to wager?

They're well aware that disinterest and lackadaisical play has been their undoing, and have been pretty keyed-in since that trait was on full display in their humiliating loss to Dallas. Most times it doesn't matter, but it's my theory that they want to prove (to themselves more than anyone) that they can still "flip the switch" and go into the playoffs humming. They won by 47 last night :shrug:

That and if they beat Denver tommorow they'll have a quasi three-game lead (they'll own the tiebreaker) with five to play and can essentially rest everybody. That'll be even more important than usual as 4 of those last 5 are back-to-backs.

If they don't take this game seriously and come out swinging I'll readily admit that I don't know this team-that I've been following for almost four decades-nearly as well as I thought I did. 

They may not win by nine, sure. But lose straight up? Hard for me to fathom. 
At the same time, if Denver wins they'll have a quasi 1 game lead because they'll ultimately own the conference record tie breaker if it comes into play. Big game tomorrow.

It's the exact opposite.  College refs call all kinds of weak fouls.  In the NBA the players get to play a lot more, which helps make the product a hundred times more watchable.  The officials in college basketball are also very, very poor compared to those in the Association.
I seriously think this is the most wrong thing i have ever read, and it isn't close.

i intentionally avoid reading personal misconduct stories involving public figures, but i love it when bad things happen to the James Dolan Knicks so i looked into it enough to see that the alleged victim went  to the Knicks legal counsel with her allegations last fall. could this have had an impact on the "giveaway" trade of KP and, if so, might they have to take him back and possibly be penalized for dumping him, like say loss of 1st rd pick?

Dallas says they knew about the allegations before the trade and they seem to be a crock anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if she's prosecuted.

The most bizarre thing to me is this all happened on the night he tore his ACL.
That's not exactly accurate according to reports.  Reports are that the Mavericks were informed of a "potential extortion" of Porzingis- but the word "rape" wasn't used.  If you read this article--towards the middle bottom. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/attorney-for-mavericks-kristaps-porzingis-issues-statement-on-rape-allegations-we-are-cooperating-fully-with/. With that said--the entire thing feels fishy at best.  

I dont even think I could take him over lillard. 
:goodposting:

He looks great of course, but these guys come up short of expectations far more often than NBA fans seem to think. Remember when Andrew Wiggins was Maple Jordan?  Although to be fair there were some people who thought Jabari Parker's tantalizing mix of size and athleticism was so can't-miss that he was the safer #1 pick even if his ceiling was a little lower.

He looks great of course, but these guys come up short of expectations far more often than NBA fans seem to think. Remember when Andrew Wiggins was Maple Jordan?  Although to be fair there were some people who thought Jabari Parker's tantalizing mix of size and athleticism was so can't-miss that he was the safer #1 pick even if his ceiling was a little lower.
Maple Jordan.  Love that guy.

Maple Jordan.  Love that guy.
That was the peak of the tanking era.  We were coming off the weak Bennett-Oladipo-Porter draft, and everyone wanted one of the two SI cover guys, Wiggins and Parker. Lotta Randle hype, too. Aaron Gordon was considered a possible franchise guy too. It was gonna be the draft that changed the league forever and brought the new wave of post Lebron/Durant superstar talent. Teams had started planning for it more than a year out. Five years later and the class has produced only one all-star, and it was the guy everyone had the most questions about.

Marc Stein
‏@TheSteinLine

The Wizards have decided to dismiss longtime team president Ernie Grunfeld, according to league sources
As noted in the posts above, this firing was way, way overdue.  With that said...what a horrible situation for any GM to now enter.  The Wiz have the albatross John Wall contract, sad vets like Dwight Howard still under contract, and the only real "out" for a decent overhaul is to trade away Bradley Beal for the franchise's new talent foundation.

As noted in the posts above, this firing was way, way overdue.  With that said...what a horrible situation for any GM to now enter.  The Wiz have the albatross John Wall contract, sad vets like Dwight Howard still under contract, and the only real "out" for a decent overhaul is to trade away Bradley Beal for the franchise's new talent foundation.
Seems like a pretty good job to me.  You've got an owner who has demonstrated that he gives GMs a ton of rope (Caps have only had two GMs in Leonsis' 20 years) and who is happy to spend well into the luxury tax. You've got a fan base that is so desperate for change that you can go an any direction you want with the rebuild. You've got a roster with only two salary obligations after the 2019-2020 season (Wall through 2023, Beal through 2021). You get to make a lottery pick this year and presumably next year too. And while it's not LA or NY, it's at least a city that won't count as a negative in pursuing free agents.

Yeah, the Wall deal will be an albatross for the two seasons where you might be expected to start seeing some progress (next year is already a lost cause).  But that's just two seasons after that next lost one. In DC sports time that's still the honeymoon period. We measure our droughts between contenders in decades, not seasons.

TobiasFunke said:

Yes the Canadian version of Michael was a big hit in Minnesota.

Hinkie: "Sounds like a challenge"

I wouldn't be surprised if Denver loses in the first round.  Very unremarkable compared to the rest of the West

Good call BF.  The Warriors looked dominant tonight.  I especially liked what I saw in the 2nd quarter.  They look ready for the playoffs.

I just read up on the KP rape allegations and it sounds bogus to me.  She went over to his place to try to get an autograph on the night he tore his ACL.  He had some drinks and pain killers from which things escalated and he raped her.  They then discussed him paying her brother's student loans off?  She proceeded to spend the night and then sent him nude photos via text over the next couple weeks....

Come on.

Eta: apparently he broke her nose too that night requiring 10k worth of repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are my over/unders that I feel like sharing for some reason:

Golden State Warriors - 62.5 - Under / Just think they will be managing too many minutes to get to 63 wins

Boston Celtics -59.5 - Under / There are actually a lot of ways that this over hits and I will not be surprised at all if they get to 60 wins.  Just feels like they still need to integrate all the pieces and there is a slightly better chance that they are under.

Houston Rockets -56 - Over / I think that all the pieces still work and they will get into the high 50s

Toronto Raptors - 55 - Over / This is actually pretty low, I guess because of Nurse, but there is so much talent here/

Philadelphia 76ers - 54.5 - Under / Tough one but just feels like some question marks with the rotations and whether are ready to make this leap.

Utah Jazz - 49.5 - Over / Great depth and losing Hood and Johnson should let them play at the clip that they played the last 35 games with

Milwaukee Bucks - 48.5 - Over / I think Bud is able to get more out of this talent and get them up higher.

Oklahoma City Thunder - 48.5 - Under / Roberson out for a while, plus Westbrook and George coming off of surgery says that this could be a slow start.

Indiana Pacers - 48 - Under / This is another tough one and a fair chance that they go over.  Just not totally buying into them moving up in wins.

Los Angeles Lakers - 48 - Under / Hard to bet against Lebron, but this island of misfit toys is going to take a while to get in synch.

Denver Nuggets - 47.5 - Under / Could definitely go over, but I think that the defense keeps them just shy.

New Orleans Pelicans - 45.5 - Over / Solid team that seemed to figure things out toward the end of the year and the frontcourt is going to be a nightmare for other teams.

San Antonio Spurs - 45 - Over / Just trusting in Pop and the total talent, I guess.  They did lose a lot in the offseason, though.

Washington Wizards - 45 - Under / Definitely could go over, but guessing that injuries and general malcontentery keeps them just under.

Miami Heat - 42.5 - Over / Solid squad that should go over fairly easily if healthy.

Portland Trail Blazers - 42 - Over / They played a little over the heads last year, but this number just seems too low.

Minnesota Timberwolves - 40.5 - Over / Obviously there are a lot of issues here, but being a little contrarian and guessing that Butler plays because Thibs is stubborn and between that and Towns and company, they can go over this number.

Detroit Pistons - 38 - Under / Reggie Jackson injury plus Blake's aging and injury issues make it hard for me to buy into the over, though this is right on the line.

Los Angeles Clippers - 38 - Under / Nice depth but just no high-end talent and I think they fall short.

Charlotte Hornets - 35.5 - Over / Continual underachievers with enough talent to beat this number, I am guessing that they just make it over.

Dallas Mavericks - 34.5 - Over / Jordan and Doncic plus Carlisle make me think that they can do this.

Memphis Grizzlies - 33.5 - Over / Gambling that that Conley and Gasol stay healthy and they wring out just enough wins.

Brooklyn Nets - 32 - Over / Enough talent to get over this now in a still weak Eastern conference and Atkinson will look to continue their improvement.

Orlando Magic - 31 - Under / Just kind of a garbage roster, with a few intriguing very young pieces, plus they may sell off some vets.

Chicago Bulls - 30.5 - Under / Intriguing collection, but I can't see how they will be able to put it together to get out of the 20s.

Cleveland Cavaliers - 30.5 - Over / Probably weird, but this is a very low number and I think that Lue and Gilbert and the players will want to show that they have the will to win, even though they probably end up at like 35 at best.

Phoenix Suns - 29 - Under / Just too young still, but will be interesting to see how Igor does.

New York Knicks - 28 - Under / Who knows when Kristaps comes back and otherwise nowhere near enough talent.

Sacramento Kings - 25.5 - Under / Will not achieve the Vladfather's hopes of 29 and is still way down the curve, though I suppose they could barely get over since they don't have their pick.

Atlanta Hawks - 24 - Under / This is close, but this team is still so young and a their nadir.

Projected record on these totals: 11-19
Update: got them all right!

Best calls

Sacramento Kings - 25.5 - Under / Will not achieve the Vladfather's hopes of 29 and is still way down the curve, though I suppose they could barely get over since they don't have their pick.

Cleveland Cavaliers - 30.5 - Over / Probably weird, but this is a very low number and I think that Lue and Gilbert and the players will want to show that they have the will to win, even though they probably end up at like 35 at best.

Orlando Magic - 31 - Under / Just kind of a garbage roster, with a few intriguing very young pieces, plus they may sell off some vets.

New Orleans Pelicans - 45.5 - Over / Solid team that seemed to figure things out toward the end of the year and the frontcourt is going to be a nightmare for other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread