What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tjnc09 said:
The Bucks are probably the only team that worries me against a motivated Warriors team.  The Warriors really don't like the Thunder.  I say 4-1 with the Warriors getting blown out in game 3.
A motivated Warriors team is unbeatable in a 7 game series, IMO. 

The Wiz have the albatross John Wall contract, sad vets like Dwight Howard still under contract, and the only real "out" for a decent overhaul is to trade away Bradley Beal for the franchise's new talent foundation.
:And a great loss at home tonight against the Bulls G League team I think.

Dealing Beal is a no brainer IMO.  Deal him before he asks out.

Last edited by a moderator:
:And a great loss at home tonight against the Bulls G League team I think.

The Bulls leading scorer was someone named Walt Lemon Jr. 
Can't believe you guys are crapping on one of the all-time great tank battles. This game was Lakers-Celtics in the 80s except they were playing for the Zion Williamson trophy instead of the Larry O'Brien trophy. 

After three tense, hard-fought quarters packed with sloppy turnovers and passive to nonexistent defense, the Wizards really cranked things up a notch by sitting Bradley Beal for the entire 4th quarter in a close game at home. The Bulls countered by playing with four players when the Wizards had the ball down 1 in the final seconds because one of their players forgot he was supposed to be in the game, resulting in free throws for the Wiz. Not to be outdone, the Wizards then fouled Lemon with less than two seconds left to take back a slim deficit. Finally, they locked things down by running a final play of Jordan McRae attempting an off-balance 30 footer.  It was the NBA at its absolute pinnacle.

A motivated Warriors team is unbeatable in a 7 game series, IMO. 
The betting markets have them about 67% to win the championship.  That's unprecedented for one team, but not quite unbeatable.  

I think the Bucks-Warriors would be a really good series.  It wouldn't be a layup finals like the last two finals - that's for sure.

I can only assume Beal has already asked out or it's so obvious there's no need to make it official.  When he said (to paraphrase) that he's been dealing with this for years earlier this season...that may have been the final nail in the Beal/Wizards coffin.  If it wasn't, the Wall injury and realization the team was going nowhere anytime soon should be.

Beal seems like a prime target for the Lakers and the talented young players LA can offer in return seems like a great win for everyone involved.

The betting markets have them about 67% to win the championship.  That's unprecedented for one team, but not quite unbeatable.  

I think the Bucks-Warriors would be a really good series.  It wouldn't be a layup finals like the last two finals - that's for sure.
Well, they’re unbeatable in my opinion if they’re motivated, to use your word. There’s at least some chance they could take a “we can flip the switch” attitude into a series and get surprised. 

lol.  https://sports.yahoo.com/wizards-tickets-sales-team-uses-ernie-grunfelds-firing-to-sell-tickets-191846124.html

The sales team with the Washington Wizards knew just how to boost ticket sales for the final week of the NBA season despite another year of disappointment.

In at least two instances detailed by The Washington Post’s Jacob Bogage, sales team representatives followed up with former ticket holders Tuesday after the team parted ways with president Ernie Grunfeld.

Grunfeld had been with the Wizards for 16 years, piloting an overall 568-724 record. Fans have long looked for his firing and a few cited his presence as reasons to not buy tickets. The Wizards admittedly have faced crucial injuries this season and fell short on the playoffs. They’re currently 32-46.

Alan Pyke was one of those fans, telling the Post he refused tickets from friends and declined to purchase any when a saleswoman called in February. It was shortly after John Wall reinjured his Achilles’ tendon.

Pyke immediately called the saleswoman back, according to The Post, with a directive:

“Grab a pen and take this down,” he said. “As soon as they fire Ernie Grunfeld, I’ll be at the next home game.”

Moments after the Wizards announced they were firing Grunfeld, Pyke received a phone call from the sales department.

From the Post:

It was the ticket saleswoman, holding him to his word. He purchased seats to the game against the San Antonio Spurs on Friday. It was part of a spontaneous celebration of Grunfeld’s departure after 16 years.

“This is the least [the Wizards] could do,” Pyke said.

Fellow fan Ben Kussin-Shoptaw received a similar email from a Wizards season ticket salesman. Kussin-Shoptaw, per the email printed by the Post, was in the system as having said he would only buy a ticket package if Grunfeld was gone. The salesman told him the news and asked if he was now interested.

Kussin-Shoptaw, a graduate student in Baltimore, did not accept due to distance.

@TobiasFunke what would you say is best case scenario for the wiazrds to become relevant? 
Not sure what you mean.  You mean easiest path?  Get Zion or get insanely lucky with whoever they do pick, and have Wall return at close to his peak levels. With Beal's improvement, a decent GM could find a supporting group for that threesome fairly easily and they'd be a 50+ win team in 2020-2021, maybe more.

But both of those developments seem unlikely.  If they just get Wall back and performing half-decently, they could still find their way back to relevance on a similar timeline. They'd basically be in the same position the Raptors were in when they ditched Bryan Colangelo for Masai Ujiri. Everyone thought they'd be kicking off a long rebuild, but he was able to find guys to complement Lowry and DeRozan to make them an immediate 50 win team building towards more. The top line talent seems comparable- 27 year old Lowry was certainly better than 29 year old post-injury Wall will be, but Beal is better than DeRozan was. 

Of course that requires finding another Ujiri and getting similar results, which is a tall task for any team, let alone the Wiz. I think the more likely scenario is they get another lottery pick next year, give the backcourt duo one final shot in 2020-21, then let Beal go and start a full tank/rebuild for the last two years of Wall's deal. 2024 is right around the corner!

what is up with these little guys trying to pick fights with Embiid. He has to dunk one of these fools soon

He should probably worry about stopping Giannis instead of being a ##### and throwing basketballs at "these little guys"
held him to an easy 5 of 13 last game. he is just one of the slowest players to recover from a few games off in the league

i would think any NBA fan out there would want to have an Eastern final of Mil-Phi. Pure fun basketball with 2 great up and coming teams. without a doubt, let's hope the NBA can lean toward it's shady past doings and help it to happen

Good little game here.

Too bad Embiid had to pull his ##### routine and get Bledsoe tossed when the only guy on the Sixers who could guard Bledsoe took the night off to probably yell at his maid or something.

i bet the Sixers +5.5 tonight. Last 1:30 not a ton of fun. Sixers up most of the game, and it was close, and of course this crap has to end the game so they lose by 6......

Pathetic end by the Sixers there. Up 6 and finish out by letting Bucks go on a 15-3 run. 
Too much Giannis.  He just took over the game down the stretch.  The Sixers were shooting the hell out of the ball in the 2nd half until The Freak went MVP on Philly.

Too much Giannis.  He just took over the game down the stretch.  The Sixers were shooting the hell out of the ball in the 2nd half until The Freak went MVP on Philly.
there are a few things to pull from this game. need to get Ben more involved in the offense too. 4th Q defense sank, but i think a good reason for it is this is Embiid's first game back. if he was in the swing of it, would have been a little different. guy looked tired already in the 2nd Q

Pathetic end by the Sixers there. Up 6 and finish out by letting Bucks go on a 15-3 run. 

i would think any NBA fan out there would want to have an Eastern final of Mil-Phi. Pure fun basketball with 2 great up and coming teams. without a doubt, let's hope the NBA can lean toward it's shady past doings and help it to happen

just get embiid out.  whatever.  we'll take whatever seed we can get.  please do not kill him.
give me IND+MIL instead of DET+TOR all day.

#tankforthe4seed

Should the Knicks be fined for trading KP during a rape allegation without telling the Mavs?

Interesting discussion. Knicks told Mavs of an extortion attempt that is on going. Never mentioned rape. 

Should the league step in? 

Conspiracy theory, the Knicks lose the top pick...

Good Posting Judge said:
Like how are you going to leave this to take less money and go play with a permanently disgruntled Flat Earther, for one of the worst owners in professional sports.  How is it not rad to just kick the #### out of everybody, every year.
Is it still the rumor that he will leave? Why on earth would he do that. 

Max Power said:
Should the Knicks be fined for trading KP during a rape allegation without telling the Mavs?

Interesting discussion. Knicks told Mavs of an extortion attempt that is on going. Never mentioned rape. 

Buyer beware.  Don't you just assume anyone affiliated with the Knicks has a decent chance of rape/harassment charges popping up at some point?

Frostillicus said:
Good little game here.

Too bad Embiid had to pull his ##### routine and get Bledsoe tossed when the only guy on the Sixers who could guard Bledsoe took the night off to probably yell at his maid or something.
5D chess.

and she probably deserved it

Max Power said:

If you are the Mavs, wouldn't the next question have been...for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread