What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kawhi might though. He's from Rancho Cuca, I think. And I think he'd like to be surrounded by family if I understand some of what's being said. You've convinced me to not care about him for now though.
Don't stop believing on my account - as @tommyGunZ can tell you, I'm a super pessimist when it comes to the prospects of my favorite teams. I think I'm trying to overcompensate for the pollyanna impression most people have of Laker fans.

Also, I doubt anywhere near a third of NBA players have homes in LA. Cali is very rough on taxes for traveling millionaires with homes here (property and income). My understanding is most of the players who live here part time in the offseason rent. Durant is already getting nailed with Calitax so for him it isn't an issue, but he rented before he bought, like most.

LeBron and the Cavs have been coasting to the playoffs to save energy for what they know is the real season.  They finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd and then this year 4th in the East. LeBron could be the #1 seed every time if he wants but obviously has his eyes on the prize. He knows it doesn't matter where they finish seed wise in the East. He feels he can get to the finals. 

Now if he does that out west, he may finish as a 4 or 5 seed. If GSW is the 1, they might have to play in round 2 instead of the WCF. 
Yeah, he will have to consider completely re-doing how he approaches his calendar with a move west.  A big deal should be made of his not missing any games this year and the minutes he logs, but being honest - a lot of those minutes were of the lower stress variety.  He picks and chooses his spots throughout and doesn't really start to focus and expend additional energy until April.  If he does that out west...

you and some others:

Windhorst: “I don’t see the basketball match for LeBron & Philadelphia.”

— Ry (@JustRyCole) June 29, 2018

that is insane to me. What has Lebron played with the past few years? what has constantly discussed that Lebron wants to work with (a PG who can handle taking the ball and allow Lebron to play off ball to preserve his body more). That is the thing with the Big 3 (LBJ, George, and Kawhi). Most reports from sports media suggest that all 3 are the best fit for the Sixers from a basketball sense. That is because of how the team was built and developed.
This can't be said enough - LeBron wants to play with vets.

well he had a roster full of vets this year, and I am not sure it is as simple as that. I am sure he doesn't want to play with guys who have significantly less experience (and if this is true, it certainly would seem to impact the choice with the Lakers who have a team with no playoff experience)

well he had a roster full of vets this year, and I am not sure it is as simple as that. I am sure he doesn't want to play with guys who have significantly less experience (and if this is true, it certainly would seem to impact the choice with the Lakers who have a team with no playoff experience)
I don't think others are accounting enough for this.  It's why I don't think he pulls the trigger until at least one of George, Leonard, or someone else of that ilk is traded for or signed.  If they don't then he doesn't go.  

Going to be a LOT of vets taking small/minimum offers this summer, due to the little amount of cap room available.  If LBJ and PG are Lakers, they'll have vets lining up to play for cheap with the hope they can get paid next year after a playoff run under the bright lights. 

I don't think others are accounting enough for this.  It's why I don't think he pulls the trigger until at least one of George, Leonard, or someone else of that ilk is traded for or signed.  If they don't then he doesn't go.  
If he really cares a ton about this, and one would think he would, that has to be good for the Sixers. the last playoffs were certainly a learning experience for the entire team

If he really cares a ton about this, and one would think he would, that has to be good for the Sixers. the last playoffs were certainly a learning experience for the entire team
I don't think you check the 'family' box though.

LeBron and the Cavs have been coasting to the playoffs to save energy for what they know is the real season.  They finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd and then this year 4th in the East. LeBron could be the #1 seed every time if he wants but obviously has his eyes on the prize. He knows it doesn't matter where they finish seed wise in the East. He feels he can get to the finals. 

Now if he does that out west, he may finish as a 4 or 5 seed. If GSW is the 1, they might have to play in round 2 instead of the WCF. 
This is a very interesting point, but I'm not 100% sure it's true. Obviously it depends on where George and Leonard end up and lots of other variables, but assuming Leonard isn't back with the Spurs you would think the worst case scenario for a Lakers team with LeBron + another elite FA would be battling the T-Wolves for the 3 spot behind the Warriors and Rockets, even if he's coasting. Still, a Round 2 matchup with another elite contender and a possible early exit is much more likely out West.

Anyway I know it's selfish, but for me the big thing that's not getting a lot of attention is how much the early shift of regular season early round playoff NBA action will take a hit if LeBron moves to the west coast. Part of the reason I've grown to love LeBron so much is that his teams have always been my default on League Pass when the Wiz aren't playing.  I'm sure they'll put Rockets and TWolves home games on national TV at 8 eastern as much as possible, but it's still gonna be a huge loss for the vast majority of NBA diehards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you check the 'family' box though.
they have talked about how close Cleveland is to Philly (7 hour drive, who knows how long a flight lasts), so if it is wanting to keep his connections there Philly could meet the need. Reddick talked about it a few times on his podcast, that he felt his commute to Brooklyn while playing with Philly was easier and less stressful then his commute with the Clippers. Who knows, I didn't get my invite to the "Destination Cave"  :shrug:

nice weather, and Drew Hanlan/Kardashians live there :shrug: . I would take North Philly and Kensigton any day over SoCal........................ :ph34r:
and those of us who live in SoCal wish more people in SoCal thought the way you did. please stay where you are.

they have talked about how close Cleveland is to Philly (7 hour drive, who knows how long a flight lasts), so if it is wanting to keep his connections there Philly could meet the need. Reddick talked about it a few times on his podcast, that he felt his commute to Brooklyn while playing with Philly was easier and less stressful then his commute with the Clippers. Who knows, I didn't get my invite to the "Destination Cave"  :shrug:
Redick's Manhattan Beach home was 10 minutes from the Clippers training facility. You could ride a bike in 20 if you took the coast. It's an hour in horrible traffic to Staples. Brooklyn to Philly is over 2 hours. The fact that Redick moved two hours from Philly should tell you something about the future Los Angeles. You so crazy mo.

Redick's Manhattan Beach home was 10 minutes from the Clippers training facility. You could ride a bike in 20 if you took the coast. It's an hour in horrible traffic to Staples. Brooklyn to Philly is over 2 hours. The fact that Redick moved two hours from Philly should tell you something about the future Los Angeles. You so crazy mo.
:)  and I don't know how much Reddick's opinion factors into any other NBA player, but he has been very positive about his current situation. I am sure getting $23 mil a year helps that, but who knows

hey lakers fans how do you reconcile having a soul while your team plays underneath a hanging kobme jersey every night i am just wondering take that to the bank bromigos  
We look over at the 5 hanging championship banners he helped win. If that doesn't quite get us all the way to even, we just think of A.C. Green.

Take that to the trophy case buckchacho.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Man, listening to Bill Simmons Podcast can really paint a rosey picture for those Celtics. I know I can see the "glass half-full" with the Sixers, but this guy. "Jaylen Brown projects better than George and Kawhi", "if you want to win a championship you go to Boston", "Tatum is going to make a huge leap next year"...........

maybe the lakers could change their name from lakers which does not make sense anyhow to the los angeles settlement agreements or the los angeles agreements not to prosecute or maybe the la weinsteins take that to the bank brohans 

hey lakers fans how do you reconcile having a soul while your team plays underneath a hanging kobme jersey every night i am just wondering take that to the bank bromigos  
We look over at the 5 hanging championship banners he helped win. If that doesn't quite get us all the way to even, we just think of A.C. Green.

Take that to the trophy case buckchacho.
so you agree they should have an asterick i guess that is all i can ask for take that to the bank bromigos

Okay, NOW you're reaching. 

Shooting with his knees probably would have been an improvement.
Best case scenario is he misses the next 2 full years while improving his shot. With that form he is looking at multiple serious injuries just while fixing his release.

I am kidding.

kind of

The Clippers turned their cap sheet around from horrifying to pretty clean in just a few months. And they have a bit of young talent to build around as well. Amazing work by Jerry West and company. 
Now all they need to do is get rid of Doc.

I didn't even think it was his best on the page!

Why would anyone want a top 5 player in the league, especially fans of young team!
If his work ethic is as bad as the stories and he quit on the team thats not something you want around young players. It's like when TO was playing top 5-10 WR but a terrible teammate. Why would a team with a young QB and other players want him? 

This might be my favorite post in the history of this entire board.  What???

Here's how many players last year did 16/8/8:  Russell Westbrook, Ben Simmons, Lebron James.  That's the whole list.  That's a really good second year, and it's his first year.

I have no idea what Matthew Stafford or the 80s and 90s have to do with anything.  Also, the NBA sucked back then compared to today.  Hey man, I loved it back then too.  I did.  And when the whole defense first Reilly's knicks era physical slug fest #### was going down I longed for the Magic Bird era too.  But this era of the NBA is really, really good man.  Like really good.  Like amazing.  Players are more athletic, more skilled, and dealing with complex offensive and defensive assignments that would never have been even thought of back then.  It's a golden age.  It really is.  And I grew up watching the 80s and 90s ball and this is the best basketball that has ever been played.  And Ben Simmons had an all timer of a rookie year.  He's really ####### good.  
These were stats that weren't very attainable unless you were a great player. 300 passing yards which Stafford and some others have routinely today and all. Westbooke by himself had almost as many TDs himself then what was recorded a whole season by all players. I find Westbrook's stats incredible hallow. Me first player only cares about his stats you are never winning a title with a guy like him on your team with that mindset and people want to kill KD for leaving that? These numbers people throw around in sports today many times seem more so routine today then they did back then. Yes players are more athletic sure but we've also had so many rule changes that amor the offense to keep people causal fans and fantasy players interested. 

If his work ethic is as bad as the stories and he quit on the team thats not something you want around young players. It's like when TO was playing top 5-10 WR but a terrible teammate. Why would a team with a young QB and other players want him? 
You do realize this is the age of the internet and you can't just make #### up? Google Kawhi Leonard's work ethic. It is nothing, but story after story of how hard he works and how he does nothing in the summer, but work on his game. Plus you have no idea what happened with the Spur's, none of us do, but it is hard to believe that something didn't happen to turn a perfect teammate and player into a quitter in 5ish months. Last Kawhi doesn't play football, try to keep up.

$75K/week gets you this:   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5894653/LeBron-James-living-75-000-week-luxury-beachfront-villa-Caribbean-island-Anguilla.html

i have literaly no idea what $75,000 a week should be for renting a place to stay. i would think i would expect a little more, just no idea what. Water slide maybe?
Pretty sure it comes with multiple disguised laser cannons that automatically destroy any reporters, GMs, reps, and J.R. Smiths that might try to get to his island to bother him.

You do realize this is the age of the internet and you can't just make #### up? Google Kawhi Leonard's work ethic. It is nothing, but story after story of how hard he works and how he does nothing in the summer, but work on his game. Plus you have no idea what happened with the Spur's, none of us do, but it is hard to believe that something didn't happen to turn a perfect teammate and player into a quitter in 5ish months. Last Kawhi doesn't play football, try to keep up.
it's really simple. If Kawhi goes to LA, DJackson is 100% accurate. if he comes to Philly he a perfect teammate and easy MVP candidate  :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread