What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DJackson10can you find me a single clip on YouTube to support your assertion that Ben Simmons “only passed if he was guaranteed an assist?”  Because I’m pretty sure I can find a whole lot of counter examples. 
Could I find them for you? It most likely can be found in most of his highlights tapes from College. I'd have to go back and watch those tapes and find the specific ones but watching him during games he did only seem to look for guys to pass too who would shoot and he got an assist. He also tried to get too cute with passes which led to some of his terrible turnovers seen. He wasn't always playing to what teams defense was giving him. 

FT% is like 56% too. 
I think DeAndre Jordan had a better FT % too then him. It's definitely one of the shooting elements he really needs to get down. Heck I think if he could shoot somewhere in the 70%-75% range they'll take it. If not we might be getting hack a Simmons in the NBA. 

I have some Jahlil okafor videos to show you that may make you question this. 
Show him I believe it was the Heat where he just stood there under the basket like completely baffled. One of the worst most embarrassing displays of if you could call it anything short of defense in my life time of watching basketball. 

No offense to you personally, but I'm starting to think people who watched a guy play a lot in college might actually be handicapped by that perspective when they evaluate the player.  @Sammy3469 and I both watched a ton of Jayson Tatum in college, from opposite perspectives (he's a Duke guy and I'm a UNC guy) and we both whiffed on him big time this year. And I don't know about Sammy but I watched Donovan Mitchell play a bunch of times too because he was in the conference, and he didn't even register until he emerged as a potential lottery guy during the draft process. The NBA and college basketball are basically different sports.
Never said they were the same. It's one of the reasons I think players struggle and some succeed. I thought Tatum was way better the a lot of people though as well as Mitchell. Then when the reports of Boston wanting Tatum over Fultz and others happened after the Jackson fiasco if you want to call it that I figured well if Boston wants him then maybe some of us are onto to something with Tatum 

I did a look last night, and out of all of the NBA media sources I checked (national and mostly local to Philly) like 2 people had Lebron coming here, and a zillion had him going to LA. Good chance I may break something in the next week if this whole charade is just so Philly can sit here with it's d#&k in it's hand and watch everyone else
This is in no way of be sh***Ing on the Sixers or their fans but I kept telling 76ers fans this might happen. I just got a vibe similar to the 2010 NBA Circus when Chicago was in on Wade and maybe getting Lebron (Who Chicago fans were really split on wanting) only for Wade to use Chi as a stalking horse to go back to MIA. Chicago ended up with Boozer and Rip Hamilton as their prizes in 2010 FA instead of Wade and maybe one other guy if not Lebron maybe something better then Boozer or Hamilton. Though this has been something I've been cautioning Sixers fans on especially in my friends circling ever since the tanking had started. 

I really like Ben simmons. Im just questioning how he fits in a lineup with Lebron or whether they would be better off trading him at high value for Leonard. 
The latter is what I've questioned all along. I just don't see how Lebron fits them with Simmons there already. Two very similar skillsets but Lebron is the way better shooter at this point. I've thought all along they were better off going with Leonard and getting another piece somehow. 

so i have easily watched/listened to more ESPN, FS1, youtube clips, podcasts over the last 2 weeks then i have in probably the last year, year and a half. Really have come to the conclusion how much b.s 90% of it is. I mean it is all literally regurgitating what someone else said, or simply listening to someone else then acting like it is their own idea. i always thought this, but watching this as much as i have it is unreal how much these people don't have their own thoughts or are so scared to against the majority. It is a real strange thing. Watching popular sports media say LA is a perfect fit for Lebron, when literally 2 weeks ago they were saying the exact same message that Philly was perfect fit for Lebron. Nothing at all has changed, except speculation. 

:wall:

The latter is what I've questioned all along. I just don't see how Lebron fits them with Simmons there already. Two very similar skillsets but Lebron is the way better shooter at this point. I've thought all along they were better off going with Leonard and getting another piece somehow. 
If this doesn't convince everyone that thinks LeBron and Simmons can't work together that they will work together, then nothing will and god have mercy on your souls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be a LOT of vets taking small/minimum offers this summer, due to the little amount of cap room available.  If LBJ and PG are Lakers, they'll have vets lining up to play for cheap with the hope they can get paid next year after a playoff run under the bright lights. 
I heard once Dal has their C the center market dries up fast. GS might get a very good C at a bargain price possible. 

Really have come to the conclusion how much b.s 90% of it is.
I think your estimate is on the low side.

We've got way too much sports media with way too much air time to fill and not enough worthwhile "news" to fill it, so they make up controversies, hot takes, etc. to keep their names out there. They are ruminants, re-digesting the crusts of informationless "stories" long gone stale. They're trying to sell vapid opinion as pertinent news. Ignore it. When actual news happens - someone will be along shortly to post it in this thread.

I think your estimate is on the low side.

We've got way too much sports media with way too much air time to fill and not enough worthwhile "news" to fill it, so they make up controversies, hot takes, etc. to keep their names out there. They are ruminants, re-digesting the crusts of informationless "stories" long gone stale. They're trying to sell vapid opinion as pertinent news. Ignore it. When actual news happens - someone will be along shortly to post it in this thread.
i think i always thought this but seeing it in such a condensed time frame is just baffling. And i honestly feel like half of the people in the sports media craze are less intelligent then the average citizen. I started to realize this when the whole "Process" started. you could just see an inability to think with some reporters. and God forbid they get on a podcast and have to speak for 15 minutes. I mean these guys can be on the high school level of thinking. 

i think i always thought this but seeing it in such a condensed time frame is just baffling. And i honestly feel like half of the people in the sports media craze are less intelligent then the average citizen. I started to realize this when the whole "Process" started. you could just see an inability to think with some reporters. and God forbid they get on a podcast and have to speak for 15 minutes. I mean these guys can be on the high school level of thinking. 
They don't have to think. They just need to talk. We're becoming a society dependent on constant noise and distraction, the quality/content of the noise and distraction isn't really so important, just keep saying things about things we're passionate about and we'll keep self-agitating via your clap trap.

A symptom of this is the need for some talk personalities to constantly try to shoehorn words into sentences and phrases they don't belong, as if to demonstrate that they know words, therefore their ideas have relevance, therefore they're worth your attention. It's truly laughable much of the time.

They don't have to think. They just need to talk. We're becoming a society dependent on constant noise and distraction, the quality/content of the noise and distraction isn't really so important, just keep saying things about things we're passionate about and we'll keep self-agitating via your clap trap.
i think half of the reason why i am still watching all of this train wreck is the hope that all of these sports media folks are completely wrong. All of these declarative statements now would really make it a fun 24 hours to watch if they were forced to respond to all of their statements. i won't feel like i completely wasted my already limited brain capacity

i think half of the reason why i am still watching all of this train wreck is the hope that all of these sports media folks are completely wrong. All of these declarative statements now would really make it a fun 24 hours to watch if they were forced to respond to all of their statements. i won't feel like i completely wasted my already limited brain capacity
It wouldn't be fun at all. They hardly ever (I've never heard it, but I'll assume it must have happened at some point) hold themselves accountable for all the calls they get wrong. It just turns into an incessant prevarication session, usually at high volume. Some of them have learned the trick of stating multiple sides of an argument or multiple possible outcomes for a given uncertainty at one time or another so they have a plausible claim to have made the right call.

There are a handful that are worth paying attention to, but for the most part I'd rather just hear it second hand here without all  the attached self importance.

They don't care about being wrong. Some are paid to be wrong.

What are the current odds on the LeBron free agency? It seems to be a 3 horse race between the Lakers, Cavs, and 76ers. There has to be a way to bet all 3 and win money if he signs there.

So now Woj and Lowe are reporting the rumors that the Lakers are approaching teams about taking on bad contracts to get a 1st round pick. I know the Lakers have cap space, but i can't see how they can add a crap contract, while still having Deng's, and hope to sign anybody. Makes me think George is a definite going there but Lakers really have no idea if they are signing Lebron or not. 

i mean i like the move for the Lakers, but it really seems impossible how they can take on another bad contact and hope to sign anybody more then George, right? Then even if Spurs still don't trade Kawhi with them, they at least have a valuable asset 

What are the current odds on the LeBron free agency? It seems to be a 3 horse race between the Lakers, Cavs, and 76ers. There has to be a way to bet all 3 and win money if he signs there.
LA Lakers -155

Cleveland Cavaliers +200

Philadelphia 76ers +550

Boston Celtics +900

Houston Rockets +950

San Antonio Spurs +2800

New York Knicks +3000

LA Clippers +4000

Miami Heat +4000

This is what I found as of June 28th at Bovada

LA Lakers -155

Cleveland Cavaliers +200

Philadelphia 76ers +550

Boston Celtics +900

Houston Rockets +950

San Antonio Spurs +2800

New York Knicks +3000

LA Clippers +4000

Miami Heat +4000

This is what I found as of June 28th at Bovada
that is what i have heard, right around those numbers. to be honest i am surprised not to see Lakers as more of a favorite. I am sure this isn't bet a ton, but have to think any of the betting public would have bet a ton on Lakers with all of the reporting the last 2 weeks. 

So now Woj and Lowe are reporting the rumors that the Lakers are approaching teams about taking on bad contracts to get a 1st round pick. I know the Lakers have cap space, but i can't see how they can add a crap contract, while still having Deng's, and hope to sign anybody. Makes me think George is a definite going there but Lakers really have no idea if they are signing Lebron or not. 

i mean i like the move for the Lakers, but it really seems impossible how they can take on another bad contact and hope to sign anybody more then George, right? Then even if Spurs still don't trade Kawhi with them, they at least have a valuable asset 
I feel the same. It would probably have to involve multiple teams, and at that point I don't have the time or energy to start figuring out possible scenarios that make sense. 

It wouldn't be fun at all. They hardly ever (I've never heard it, but I'll assume it must have happened at some point) hold themselves accountable for all the calls they get wrong. It just turns into an incessant prevarication session, usually at high volume. Some of them have learned the trick of stating multiple sides of an argument or multiple possible outcomes for a given uncertainty at one time or another so they have a plausible claim to have made the right call.

There are a handful that are worth paying attention to, but for the most part I'd rather just hear it second hand here without all  the attached self importance.
yeah, i enjoyed that stuff during the Eagles playoff run. Just wonder when it turned in this direction. Seems to work because it seems there ratings are better for it. i remember when FS1 started they were selling themselves as an alternative to the crap on ESPN with real reporting. I don't know if it ever happened, but they jumped the shark to mirroring the ESPN model with-in a week or 2. 

You do realize this is the age of the internet and you can't just make #### up? Google Kawhi Leonard's work ethic. It is nothing, but story after story of how hard he works and how he does nothing in the summer, but work on his game. Plus you have no idea what happened with the Spur's, none of us do, but it is hard to believe that something didn't happen to turn a perfect teammate and player into a quitter in 5ish months. Last Kawhi doesn't play football, try to keep up.
You also realize that a lot of guys aren't what you think they are either right? There's some athletes out there who will act cool with the press and all but are complete D bags in in the locker room and with other players. Just put the good image up for PR help when stuff breaks from the team what a bad teammate they are. I know two former NFL players and one played with the Patriots. I also have a co worker who is one of the assistant coaches for the Eagles. The guy who played in NE said Tom Brady he had a bigger issue with then BB. Brady puts this good ole boy act on with the media but he's a complete d bag to his teammates. My co worker's son worked with the Chiefs and came home and helps coach the Eagles now after Pederson promised if he was hired in Philly he was coming with him. He said theres a lot of two faced players and theres guys in these locker roos thats players will protect for whatever reason but will then talk behind their back. You have guys telling the media what a good work ethic said teammate has but then talking amongst themselves and laughing at the BS they just spewed. One of the things he told me was all the players who went to bat for Chip Kelly when he was here a lot didn't believe what they were saying. Behind close doors they were just as vocal as their other teammates how much they hated the guy even some of his former Oregon players. Heck there's guys out there today that I know first hand from my co workers son who said they disagree with Kaepernick possible being black listed from the NFL but they wouldn't want him on their team after guys who have left SF on their team have told these players who former teammates of Kaepernicks' voicing support for him telling people. A perfect example of not believing everything you read is the hit piece Chip Kelly had put out after DeSean Jackson was let go. I actually ran into one of the beat writers in my area and we talked as a buddy of mine with me was in sports journalism. We asked him about the whole DeSean Jackson thing because he worked with the guy at the same paper who did the piece. He basically said a lot of the article was beefed up and there was a lot of BS in it. Team was lucky Jackson got signed as fast as he did because he thought if DeSean couldn't find work he'd go with the NFLPA and sue the Eagles and the writer for lible and defamation. Both McCoy and Jackson who were cut were both fairly popular amongst their peers on the team. 

Obviously something happened where Spurs and Leonard relationship went to Shambles. However I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt to an organization with a future HoF coach who had Duncan/Parker/Manu/Robinson etc for yrs who sacrificed better pay and other things for the benefit of the team. I guess Leonard doesn't feel thats the sort of thing he wants I guess. Injuries are definitely not something you mess with but theres players out there who will manipulate how hurt they really are because they don't feel like playing for said team anymore. I've always admired the Spurs organization how they've run things though with guys sacrificing more money to help the team. They won a lot of titles with that way too. 

Per Zach Lowe

Chicago Bulls are signaling they plan to use their cap space to acquire bad contracts and extract draft picks according to sources. However if in event they do look for free agents, expect that they could target Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker.

also on the funny side of things on their official twitter account the Spurs showed some birthday love to Leonard

You also realize that a lot of guys aren't what you think they are either right? There's some athletes out there who will act cool with the press and all but are complete D bags in in the locker room and with other players. Just put the good image up for PR help when stuff breaks from the team what a bad teammate they are. I know two former NFL players and one played with the Patriots. I also have a co worker who is one of the assistant coaches for the Eagles. The guy who played in NE said Tom Brady he had a bigger issue with then BB. Brady puts this good ole boy act on with the media but he's a complete d bag to his teammates. My co worker's son worked with the Chiefs and came home and helps coach the Eagles now after Pederson promised if he was hired in Philly he was coming with him. He said theres a lot of two faced players and theres guys in these locker roos thats players will protect for whatever reason but will then talk behind their back. You have guys telling the media what a good work ethic said teammate has but then talking amongst themselves and laughing at the BS they just spewed. One of the things he told me was all the players who went to bat for Chip Kelly when he was here a lot didn't believe what they were saying. Behind close doors they were just as vocal as their other teammates how much they hated the guy even some of his former Oregon players. Heck there's guys out there today that I know first hand from my co workers son who said they disagree with Kaepernick possible being black listed from the NFL but they wouldn't want him on their team after guys who have left SF on their team have told these players who former teammates of Kaepernicks' voicing support for him telling people. A perfect example of not believing everything you read is the hit piece Chip Kelly had put out after DeSean Jackson was let go. I actually ran into one of the beat writers in my area and we talked as a buddy of mine with me was in sports journalism. We asked him about the whole DeSean Jackson thing because he worked with the guy at the same paper who did the piece. He basically said a lot of the article was beefed up and there was a lot of BS in it. Team was lucky Jackson got signed as fast as he did because he thought if DeSean couldn't find work he'd go with the NFLPA and sue the Eagles and the writer for lible and defamation. Both McCoy and Jackson who were cut were both fairly popular amongst their peers on the team. 

Obviously something happened where Spurs and Leonard relationship went to Shambles. However I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt to an organization with a future HoF coach who had Duncan/Parker/Manu/Robinson etc for yrs who sacrificed better pay and other things for the benefit of the team. I guess Leonard doesn't feel thats the sort of thing he wants I guess. Injuries are definitely not something you mess with but theres players out there who will manipulate how hurt they really are because they don't feel like playing for said team anymore. I've always admired the Spurs organization how they've run things though with guys sacrificing more money to help the team. They won a lot of titles with that way too. 
No, just no. Kawhi never talks, he hasn't changed. Read up on it. If he was a bad teammate or that guy that is quiet all the time in front of the media and a jerk in the locker room it would have leaked out by now.

As for the bolded I have never read a single piece about players acting hurt to miss basically a whole season. I have however read a ton of articles where teams have put players in injured and mislead them and it has ruined their career. See Grant Hill and Brandon Roy to name a couple.

It is fine if you think Kawhi is a bad guy and a bad teammate, but quit acting like no team should want him. For the first 6 years of his career you couldn't ask for a better player, he got better every year, he worked harder than almost everyone else, he didn't cause any problems. So basically you have 2 different sides that both probably deserve the benefit of the doubt. Something happened and I doubt it was one side that was all at fault and the other side did everything right.

The Bulls are apparently interested in Former Sixers player Jermi Grant who's brother already is on the team. The Grant Boy's Uncle is former Bull Horace Grant

No, just no. Kawhi never talks, he hasn't changed. Read up on it. If he was a bad teammate or that guy that is quiet all the time in front of the media and a jerk in the locker room it would have leaked out by now.

As for the bolded I have never read a single piece about players acting hurt to miss basically a whole season. I have however read a ton of articles where teams have put players in injured and mislead them and it has ruined their career. See Grant Hill and Brandon Roy to name a couple.

It is fine if you think Kawhi is a bad guy and a bad teammate, but quit acting like no team should want him. For the first 6 years of his career you couldn't ask for a better player, he got better every year, he worked harder than almost everyone else, he didn't cause any problems. So basically you have 2 different sides that both probably deserve the benefit of the doubt. Something happened and I doubt it was one side that was all at fault and the other side did everything right.
This happened just recently in the World Cup. Nikola Kalinic of Croatia had been upset he didn't start so he refused to Come on sighting a back issue. A teammate of his for his country and a player linked to possible joining his current club team basically called him out on it And seriously players in the NBA draft do stiff about their injuries all the time to prevent certain teams from taking them. 

This happened just recently in the World Cup. Nikola Kalinic of Croatia had been upset he didn't start so he refused to Come on sighting a back issue. A teammate of his for his country and a player linked to possible joining his current club team basically called him out on it And seriously players in the NBA draft do stiff about their injuries all the time to prevent certain teams from taking them. 
You are comparing two different sports, and your last example is to not get drafted by certain teams. Not sit out the entire year, Isaiah Thomas tried doing it to the Pistons and what happened? It didn't work and he played. Do you have any facts at all or just something you heard from a guy that sold a car to a guy that did the dry cleaning for the guy that coached Kawhi in AAU?

Back in high school I used to give 100%

99% on offense and 1% on D.

Used to listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd on the way to games.

Please credit.

So if it is the Sixers, Cavs, or Lakers, is there any reason for Lebron to not sign a 1-year contract, with the intention of staying longer, but providing himself with an out in case it isn't what he is looking for. Have to think it won't be as crazy as this year is, but does seem reasonable we could do this again next year

So if it is the Sixers, Cavs, or Lakers, is there any reason for Lebron to not sign a 1-year contract, with the intention of staying longer, but providing himself with an out in case it isn't what he is looking for. Have to think it won't be as crazy as this year is, but does seem reasonable we could do this again next year
Here's my take and I'll call bank (it will probably be a brick though).

There isn't really a reason to not sign a 1 year deal like you say unless he wants to bank that 5/200+ mill from Dan's pocket and be a UFA when Bronny will enter the league (he'll be at the end of his career and he will sign for the vet minimum with whoever drafts Bronny).  But he can still do that next year after a 1+1 (decline option again) and then a 4 year max from say LAL or whoever.  He gets to see how the landscape changes over the course of 1 more season before he signs his final long term contract.  He loses a little money, but hey I think his family is looking good on that front.  I'm almost positive that Bronny is going into 8th grade this Fall, so all this HS talk is being blown out of proportion.  Most kids start HS in 9th grade lol (yes, I understand hoops are competitive before then).  I also know the NBA does not permit kids out of HS at the moment, but that is going to change before Bronny graduates HS, and this kid is going to be a stud.  

So, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I think it's another year in Cleveland (although still with an outside chance of a 1+1 in LA this year) and we're doing it all again next year.  The Lakers know this, and that PG is staying in OKC, so they are trying to add these extra picks from random teams (while taking on bad contracts) to trade for Leonard this year, instead of having to land 2 max UFA next offseason, and while keeping more of their young talent.  They'll figure out a way to ship out what they need to before next offseason when all they will need to do is be able to offer Lebron a 4 year max deal.  Down the line, the NBA will rig the Bronny draft, and Lebron either gets to come home again or get to play a full season inside MSG.

I'm almost positive that Bronny is going into 8th grade this Fall, so all this HS talk is being blown out of proportion.  Most kids start HS in 9th grade lol (yes, I understand hoops are competitive before then).  I also know the NBA does not permit kids out of HS at the moment, but that is going to change before Bronny graduates HS, and this kid is going to be a stud.  
Did you actually research any of the schools they have mentioned or are you just throwing #### against the wall to see what sticks?

There isn't really a reason to not sign a 1 year deal like you say unless he wants to bank that 5/200+ mill from Dan's pocket and be a UFA when Bronny will enter the league (he'll be at the end of his career and he will sign for the vet minimum with whoever drafts Bronny).  But he can still do that next year after a 1+1 (decline option again) and then a 4 year max from say LAL or whoever.  He gets to see how the landscape changes over the course of 1 more season before he signs his final long term contract.  He loses a little money, but hey I think his family is looking good on that front.  I'm almost positive that Bronny is going into 8th grade this Fall, so all this HS talk is being blown out of proportion.  Most kids start HS in 9th grade lol (yes, I understand hoops are competitive before then).  I also know the NBA does not permit kids out of HS at the moment, but that is going to change before Bronny graduates HS, and this kid is going to be a stud.  

So, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I think it's another year in Cleveland (although still with an outside chance of a 1+1 in LA this year) and we're doing it all again next year.  The Lakers know this, and that PG is staying in OKC, so they are trying to add these extra picks from random teams (while taking on bad contracts) to trade for Leonard this year, instead of having to land 2 max UFA next offseason, and while keeping more of their young talent.  They'll figure out a way to ship out what they need to before next offseason when all they will need to do is be able to offer Lebron a 4 year max deal.  Down the line, the NBA will rig the Bronny draft, and Lebron either gets to come home again or get to play a full season inside MSG.
how good is his kid? i have heard the discussions about him, but is he a legit prospect? 

and your take might not be too tough. I actually think i burned out from all the hype of this now, and am beginning to think i don't even care who goes where. i'll check some summer league because that can be fun. and hope the Sixers get one of the big 3, or get a couple of 1 year contracts with some of the other free agents. Would actually be kind of fun if they can sign Noel on a 1-year for like 5 mil. Smart or Evans could be fun, and if not too expensive Bradley or Will Barton could help. but yeah, the hype of this free agency period plateaued i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread