Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warriors must have gotten spooked by that Rondo signing.

hey Tim trump just tweeted something you better head on back now. thanks for stopping by. 

Butler is overrated anyway.

10 hours ago, drpill said:

Bill Simmons is saying that Kawhi went through seven or eight “second opinion” doctors before he found one that would tell him what he wanted to hear. Only possibilities that I can see are that he was looking for an excuse to shut it down for the season and get traded, or he’s damaged goods and has a long-term or degenerative condition that will require him to deal with pain for the rest of his career. Either way, buyer beware...

My guess is the Spurs know he’s in denial about his injury and are refusing to pay him the supermax, and here we are.

i'm pretty sure i give "Jim from the barbershop" more credence than Bill Simmons. if his predictions that Brown will be better than Kawhi and Tatum will be the MVP next year, then i will start to take his thoughts as more then just him making money off of saying things 

so one of the talking heads on the major sports channels i can listen too and actually seems like they don't just talk out there ### is Rachel Nichols on ESPN. Interesting tweet from her:

Rachel Nichols✔@Rachel__Nichols

So free agency begins at midnight, and hmmm - @royceyoung reports that Russell Westbrook is throwing a huge party in OKC tonight...that Paul George has flown in for. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23956635/with-paul-george-town-russell-westbrook-hosting-summer-hype-house-party …

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23956635/with-paul-george-town-russell-westbrook-hosting-summer-hype-house-party

If George signs with OKC, the chance of Lebron signing with LA has to be very slim, no? Even if Lebron doesn't care as much about winning or anything, the wear and tear on his body having to carry a load on a team has to be a factor for him. 

Edited by modogg

Embiid weighing in....Kaboom:

Joel Embiid✔@JoelEmbiid

The Lakers are FOREVER gonna be Kobe’s and Magic’s team.... Process that

ETA: does make me nervous though, Embiid wouldn't be throwing shade on Lebron unless he felt he was signing with LA

Edited by modogg
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

To date, they haven't technically resided here (per state tax laws). They've used the first home in the summers, and the other purchased for 23 million, is undergoing an additional 10 million in additions and renovations. No one has lived there yet.

fyi:

Harrison Faigen✔@hmfaigen

BREAKING NEWS LEBRON JAMES HAS ARRIVED IN THE CITY IN WHICH HE LIVES EVERY SUMMER

• Like 5

The Nuggets "might have to expand" their trade candidates to include Mason Plumlee, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.com.

For months now, the Nuggets have reportedly tried to shop Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur and Wilson Chandler, but apparently they're not getting takers there. Plumlee found a nice role as a passing big man in the second unit with occasional time next to Nikola Jokic. With the Nuggets likely to bring back Will Barton, their tax bill could get up there.

:lmao: "Might have to expand"

I'm sure the market is booming for 5s that can't shoot making north of $12mil/season.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, modogg said:

Joel Embiid✔@JoelEmbiid

ETA: does make me nervous though, Embiid wouldn't be throwing shade on Lebron unless he felt he was signing with LA

Sixers dropped to approximately 0% chance for LeBron

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, modogg said:

Joel Embiid✔@JoelEmbiid

You don't honestly still believe LeBron will sign with Philly, do you?

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, modogg said:

Joel Embiid✔@JoelEmbiid

Do you think LeBron shared his plans with Joel Embiid?

Some Woj stuff:

There's strong momentum with the Denver Nuggets and their free agent guard Will Barton to get a deal done quickly after the start of free agency at 12:01 AM, league sources tell ESPN.

Barton has been a strong focus for the Pacers, who would pivot and search for perimeter free agent help elsewhere. Doug McDermott and Joe Harris are potential Pacers targets, league sources tell ESPN.

NBA has informed teams of 2018-19 season salary cap and tax: New salary cap: $101.8M; Luxury Tax: $123M. Non-Tax Mid-level: $8.6M; Tax-payers mid-level: $5.3M; Room Mid-Level: $4.4M. Bi-annual: $3.4M

5:23 PM - 30 Jun 2018

22 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Don't you guys hate how nobody runs out ground balls in baseball anymore?

I'm honestly tired of guys acting like they won the WS in the top of the 3rd hitting a HR but don't hustle on a non HR. I wouldn't have a problem with it as much if the guys hustle. I've seen so many times in MLB anymore a guy is watching a HR that lands at the bottom of the wall or hits the fence and because of it he only gets single when he should have a double or double instead of a triple. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frostillicus said:

I grew up a Laker fan so it will be easy to like Lebron on the Lakers for me.  I hope he goes there or the Wolves.

This ####### guy....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, modogg said:

so one of the talking heads on the major sports channels i can listen too and actually seems like they don't just talk out there ### is Rachel Nichols on ESPN. Interesting tweet from her:

Rachel Nichols✔@Rachel__Nichols

So free agency begins at midnight, and hmmm - @royceyoung reports that Russell Westbrook is throwing a huge party in OKC tonight...that Paul George has flown in for. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23956635/with-paul-george-town-russell-westbrook-hosting-summer-hype-house-party …

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23956635/with-paul-george-town-russell-westbrook-hosting-summer-hype-house-party

If George signs with OKC, the chance of Lebron signing with LA has to be very slim, no? Even if Lebron doesn't care as much about winning or anything, the wear and tear on his body having to carry a load on a team has to be a factor for him. 

Is having party guests sign nondisclosure agreements just common practice for millionaire athletes, or is George possibly making a special announcement to the home crowd?

• Like 2
On 6/29/2018 at 8:21 PM, modogg said:

it's really simple. If Kawhi goes to LA, DJackson is 100% accurate. if he comes to Philly he a perfect teammate and easy MVP candidate :shrug:

I actually said from a moves perspective Kwahi makes more sense then trying to get Lebron for Philly. I think he's a way better fit player skills wise they need then them trying to add Lebron

On 6/29/2018 at 8:33 PM, modogg said:

i felt bad for Okafor most of the time with the Sixers, but after that clip i was really out:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/1/14785660/jahlil-okafor-worst-defense-youve-ever-seen-sixers

I was shocked at what some Sixers fans thought he was worth too. There seemed to be a few not happy with what they got back from the Nets. I was like well what did you expect for a guy with so little trade value who blatantly showed his disinterest at the defensive end of the court and a one dimensional player? I've been one to believe if we were playing in the Shaq days Okafor would fair a lot better. 

1 hour ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

:lmao: "Might have to expand"

I'm sure the market is booming for 5s that can't shoot making north of $12mil/season.

I'm excited for the total price of the Plumlee-Nurkic trade to be two first rounders and Nurkic, who is obviously the superior player.

I haven't read any of this thread. Has anyone suggested that somehow the play is to get Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, and Paul George all go to the Lakers in the "decision 2.0"? I feel like if the NBA is rigged in the fashion I believe it is, this is exactly what is going to happen. I've seen interviews with that Lonzo Ball dad guy on TV and his body language is terrible. He's definitely stressed, think his kid might be on this way out. Lebron ain't putting up with that.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2018 at 8:43 PM, modogg said:

so i have easily watched/listened to more ESPN, FS1, youtube clips, podcasts over the last 2 weeks then i have in probably the last year, year and a half. Really have come to the conclusion how much b.s 90% of it is. I mean it is all literally regurgitating what someone else said, or simply listening to someone else then acting like it is their own idea. i always thought this, but watching this as much as i have it is unreal how much these people don't have their own thoughts or are so scared to against the majority. It is a real strange thing. Watching popular sports media say LA is a perfect fit for Lebron, when literally 2 weeks ago they were saying the exact same message that Philly was perfect fit for Lebron. Nothing at all has changed, except speculation. 

:wall:

Wait you never realized this when we had Derange Hermit who's buddy worked for the Eagles after the stuff he told us? I realized after hearing DH with his stuff his buddy told him 95% if not more of the time these talking heads are throwing sh** up on a wall and hoping it sticks. I literally in these sports only pay attention with what the big guys like Shams/Woj, Stark/Rosenthal, Scheftar/Mort/Ian, etc say. Those guys have it right most of the time 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, caustic said:

Some Woj stuff:

The only way through Barton deal get done that quickly is if they pay him more than the mid-level.  Guessing it will be for more than they offered him during the season too (4/42), so it'll probably be for something like 4/48. They can't help but bury themselves with bad contracts on their own players.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:06 PM, Gr00vus said:

It wouldn't be fun at all. They hardly ever (I've never heard it, but I'll assume it must have happened at some point) hold themselves accountable for all the calls they get wrong. It just turns into an incessant prevarication session, usually at high volume. Some of them have learned the trick of stating multiple sides of an argument or multiple possible outcomes for a given uncertainty at one time or another so they have a plausible claim to have made the right call.

There are a handful that are worth paying attention to, but for the most part I'd rather just hear it second hand here without all  the attached self importance.

Their bosses only care about the ratings. How many clicks the guys is getting, retweets, who's watching them on TV etc. Same with sports talk radio. We got a guy here on 97.5 who's wrong many times and got called out for making fun of Victor Cruz injury. Many of these talk show hosts are flat-out wrong or just make such horrible hot takes (When it comes to trade ideas and such) that you feel like you lost brain cells listening to it. Then someone sensible calls in and they berate the person. But the bosses don't care as long as you generate ratings. It's the same with normal news outlets. Who can get the info out first not who's right and with the best source. Journalism good Journalism in general is almost gone completely. 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:08 PM, Frostillicus said:

I've got news for you: the league is far more sophisticated on both sides of the ball than it's ever been, thus the "true" fans should enjoy it. I know I do.

How's it enjoyable when 80% of the teams in the league have zero chance unless they have a star player and you need like 3 great player in order to have a chance to even compete fora title? Players flopping and complaining for a foul despite hardly getting touched, constant teams tanking and sitting star players against bad teams. I would've gone to 76ers games in the past 5 yrs but half the time I knew when I was seeing one of the better teams there was a great chance 2 of the players I wanted to see was "resting". And hows it more sophisticated when most guys play 1v1 hero ball half the game almost no team system in there at all. 2-3 guys of 5 players on the team just playing with the ball? And some of the best defense gets called for a foul. 

22 hours ago, modogg said:

So if it is the Sixers, Cavs, or Lakers, is there any reason for Lebron to not sign a 1-year contract, with the intention of staying longer, but providing himself with an out in case it isn't what he is looking for. Have to think it won't be as crazy as this year is, but does seem reasonable we could do this again next year

If that's his intention then thats also a risk on the team signing him so who would take that without some guarantee he'd resign? If I'm getting Lebron I'd want him fully committed not a well I'll sign a 1 year wait and see if I like this before committing further contract. 

Sorry, Lakers:

Chris Haynes‏ @ChrisBHaynes

Kevin Durant intends to sign a two-year max deal with a player option to stay with Golden State, league sources tell ESPN.

6:31 PM - 30 Jun 2018

Just now, caustic said:

Sorry, Lakers:

Kevin Durant intends to sign a two-year max deal with a player option to stay with Golden State, league sources tell ESPN.

hmm, i just saw this:

Marc Stein✔@TheSteinLine

Kevin Durant plans to tell the Warriors after 12:01 a.m. ET that he wants a new one-year contract with a player option for 2019-20 to return to free agency next summer, @NYTSports has learned

Just now, modogg said:

hmm, i just saw this:

Marc Stein✔@TheSteinLine

Kevin Durant plans to tell the Warriors after 12:01 a.m. ET that he wants a new one-year contract with a player option for 2019-20 to return to free agency next summer, @NYTSports has learned

Same thing, right? Max 1+1?

22 minutes ago, Stuart Ullman said:

I haven't read any of this thread. Has anyone suggested that somehow the play is to get Lebron James, Kawhi Leonard, and Paul George all go to the Lakers in the "decision 2.0"? I feel like if the NBA is rigged in the fashion I believe it is, this is exactly what is going to happen. I've seen interviews with that Lonzo Ball dad guy on TV and his body language is terrible. He's definitely stressed, think his kid might be on this way out. Lebron ain't putting up with that.

LOOK AT ME, I CAN'T READ!!!

• Like 4
23 hours ago, sports_fan said:

What and put themselves at higher risk for injury with hamstring strains and what not? Can't be expected to put their career on the line for that

I played football and baseball till HS and was also on a travel Baseball team for my township in my college years. I also have helped coach my HS football team who's coach went to the University of Tennessee and played some NFL. Was a teammate of Conridge Halloway the first SEC Black QB. My Township team our coach's son played some minor league ball before an arm injury took his career away. I also have a buddy who coaches a local smaller college near me who was drafted by the Phillies but blew out his shoulder. From all those guys either playing with them, coaching with them etc if you hot-dogged in the field and didn't give your all on other player you didn't play much after that. Our Baseball coach benched a guy for hotdogging a routine fly he missed and cost us the game. He sat for 2 games. Another guy didn't hustle on another play he was benched and didn't play in the next 3 games and was one of our star players. Our football coach took our QB out for hotdogging and trying to pull huge plays off instead of going for the easy 5 yard pass. My buddy threatened to take away one of his best players scholarships for some of the stunts he was pulling on and off the field as his decisions off it had effected his own field play and he acted entitled about it and didn't think he had to have the same treatment as the other players. He then went and complained to his daddy who was a lawyer who threatened to sue the school for his entitled son. 

So sorry if I think pro athletes making millions should hustle a little more. Unfortunately their entitlement and people being overly PC you can't correct the behavior anymore. 

12 hours ago, drpill said:

Bill Simmons is saying that Kawhi went through seven or eight “second opinion” doctors before he found one that would tell him what he wanted to hear. Only possibilities that I can see are that he was looking for an excuse to shut it down for the season and get traded, or he’s damaged goods and has a long-term or degenerative condition that will require him to deal with pain for the rest of his career. Either way, buyer beware...

My guess is the Spurs know he’s in denial about his injury and are refusing to pay him the supermax, and here we are.

That makes a lot of sense though. He's either in denial or wanted to be shut down or damaged goods. 

Just now, bananafish said:

Rumors will start to leak out before then but free agency starts at 6 your time (I think... whatever 9pm Pacific is there).

Did you follow anyone on Twitter? If nobody else at least give David Simon a try (the guy who created The Wire).

Quickly though, before he’s banned again.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, modogg said:

i have never understood the "Lebron is returning to Cle" this year. he actively is doing everything to avoid them and have to see them. that certainly doesn't sound like a healthy relationship

Maybe they trade a few guys and brings PG or someone else to Cleveland and teams with K Love. However I think Love at this point is hoping Lebron leaves. I kind of feel bad for Love and see where his depression is coming from. The talking heads is always if Cle wins it's Lebron but if CLE loses it's Love and everyone else faults. Yrs of this plus a guy who seems like he already had some mental issues takes its toll on you eventually. Plus the injuries year after year don't help. 

20 minutes ago, caustic said:

Sorry, Lakers:

Well, that makes free agency a million times less interesting.

6 hours ago, modogg said:

Oh My GOD!!!! Lebron just landed in LA!!!!!!!   Hopefully these websites can let us know when he takes a piss too!!!!!!  

Don't worry I'm sure Chris Broussard will be right on that? Im shocked he didn't go on Vacation with Lebron. 

5 hours ago, GOB said:

Yeah nobody is doubting the potential of Philly.

LeBron will sign a 1+1 and Philly isn't the right call this year. Next season? Maybe. 

Need to sign Mario Hezonja

I would like if CHI could sign him. I've always like the guy and I was balling out laughing at some of his highlights against the one team overseas he played against and every time he hit a huge shot in front of the teams bench he'd look back and say something. Based off some reading from some poorly translated text it sounded like he had bad blood with the opposing club or some of their players. And then he went off on them like yeah now talk sh** about me.

4 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

Also, as far as I've heard, his plan all along has been to hear the pitches from all the teams who want to sign him while he's in L.A. - they're traveling to meet him or calling him, AFIK. He's not doing the world tour thing again.

I heard Lebron doesn't want an extravagant pitch either. Nothing fancy. Just give it to him 100% what you are about. He apparently doesn't want a circus made of it. 

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

I'm honestly tired of guys acting like they won the WS in the top of the 3rd hitting a HR but don't hustle on a non HR. I wouldn't have a problem with it as much if the guys hustle. I've seen so many times in MLB anymore a guy is watching a HR that lands at the bottom of the wall or hits the fence and because of it he only gets single when he should have a double or double instead of a triple. 

Yes!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

How's it enjoyable when 80% of the teams in the league have zero chance unless they have a star player and you need like 3 great player in order to have a chance to even compete fora title? Players flopping and complaining for a foul despite hardly getting touched, constant teams tanking and sitting star players against bad teams. I would've gone to 76ers games in the past 5 yrs but half the time I knew when I was seeing one of the better teams there was a great chance 2 of the players I wanted to see was "resting". And hows it more sophisticated when most guys play 1v1 hero ball half the game almost no team system in there at all. 2-3 guys of 5 players on the team just playing with the ball? And some of the best defense gets called for a foul. 

I'm convinced you don't watch basketball and only listen to talk radio.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Man I don’t want to see Lebron waste away in Cleveland. But LA isn’t any better. What is he doing?

A lot of non Lebron fans have called him out as being afraid to go west in FA saying he took the East because it was easier to get to the Finals. Maybe he wants to go to LAL and prove them wrong and he can win in the West? At least if I was Lebron and hearing that it'd be something I'd do. It was the one thing many loved about MJ. People would say he couldn't do this or that but then he'd go out there and prove it and do it a lot better then many others could. 

32 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

If that's his intention then thats also a risk on the team signing him so who would take that without some guarantee he'd resign? 

Every single team.

53 minutes ago, Stuart Ullman said:

Do you blame Lebron for not putting up with that? I wouldn't and neither should anyone else. Honestly if I were the team who drafted Ball before I drafted him I tell him dad to shut up watch the games and if you cause a scene you are banned from ever entering the arena. I'd then go to Lonzo and tell him his dad could be detrimental to his career and he needs to cut him cold turkey. Dad is more interested in making money off you and your brothers and not what you want for your career despite what you think. Go find yourself a capable agent. And honestly if thats not happening and I'm a player in FA I'm not even discussing anything the team Lonzo is on because I don't want to here daddy complain when we lose how its mine and everyone else fault and Lonzo was the best player out there. And if I was already on the team I probably wouldn't be able to contian myself and might Ron Artest Lavar in the Stands. The best thing the media can do at this point to rid him is stop covering him. He's just seeking attention.He's that parent on the youth team who thinks his son is better then everyone and always causes issues and fights the coaches and other parents. He's that parent you see on TV being arrested for getting in a fight at his kids sports game. 

25 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Rumors will start to leak out before then but free agency starts at 6 your time (I think... whatever 9pm Pacific is there).

Did you follow anyone on Twitter? If nobody else at least give David Simon a try (the guy who created The Wire).

I followed all the people Larry gave me and am seeing stuff on there now. I’ll check out David Simon, I loved the Wire. 

• Like 1