What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wouldn't be surprising. For yrs up until the last 2-3 I saw more Lebron jerseys then Sixers jerseys here in Philly. I work in retail and it's one place you see a lot of what people wear and don't wear. Even if you aren't a sports fan in Philly you can tell what the biggest teams are here at times. However up until the past 2 or so yrs you didn't see many 76ers jerseys unless it was from a diehard fan. 
I am only kidding and busting modogg chops a little. Let's not act like all fans don't do this crap. 

I went to Michigan State in 2000 when we won the national title in basketball and everyone flipped cars and burn couches. Next year we lost to Arizona in the final four and they flipped cars and burned couches. 

I guess this year just wore on LeBron more than we thought. He was epic and dominant. He was a one man wrecking crew that carried a team that would have won 25 games to the finals. Yet despite that super human effort, he still got swept by GSW.

He sees the writing on the wall. He can't go that hard again. That's why he takes the 4 years deal. He's done. This is the last team he'll play for. He's going to ride out the storm, collect some stats that are coming to him and trott off into the sunset. He couldn't catch MJ. He gave a it a run but now he's cashing in and setting up his family and business for the future.

So salud to the second greatest of all time. It's the end of a fantastic era of basketball that we will not forget.
I want to say maybe he finally learned his lesson about his lack of commitment hamstringing his own team, but it's probably just about Bron Jr. This contract length frees him up as his son nears the NBA. But he still plans to compete. It just may be a couple years. 

I think he is making a mistake basketball-wise (even though Cleveland wasn't winning titles either), but it just looks really really bad after that letter he wrote to Cavs fans when he came back and n a sitdown interview with CNN in 2014, James said "I plan on finishing my career back home." In his Sports Illustrated essay announcing his return, he said "I always believed I'd return to Cleveland finish my career there." At his homecoming celebration at the University of Akron, he told roughly 30,000 screaming fans: "I don't plan on going nowhere. I don't have the energy to do it again." And last September, he said his intention to remain with the Cavs "hasn't changed."

To then leave again is pretty crappy to the fans. Ultimately, he doesn't owe them anything, but then don't say all that stuff pretending you care.
Or ... maybe at the time he didn't think he was going to leave. But that was 4 years ago. Things change in 4 years.

I think he is making a mistake basketball-wise (even though Cleveland wasn't winning titles either), but it just looks really really bad after that letter he wrote to Cavs fans when he came back and n a sitdown interview with CNN in 2014, James said "I plan on finishing my career back home." In his Sports Illustrated essay announcing his return, he said "I always believed I'd return to Cleveland finish my career there." At his homecoming celebration at the University of Akron, he told roughly 30,000 screaming fans: "I don't plan on going nowhere. I don't have the energy to do it again." And last September, he said his intention to remain with the Cavs "hasn't changed."

To then leave again is pretty crappy to the fans. Ultimately, he doesn't owe them anything, but then don't say all that stuff pretending you care.
He won them a championship.

Warriors win in 6 if Iguodala doesn't get hurt.  They had the Rockets figured out defensively and his injury surprised them game 4 (Young and Livingston were -27 or something stupid)
I agree that Iggy being healthy and Paul being healthy and the Warrior probably win, but there is a chance Houston could have changed it up and won that series. 

and if he leaves for a better situation i think it is explainable. But to leave to a ####-show of an organization is just disrespectful to the whole state of Ohio.  :ph34r:

I've only seen Philly fans going off in here.
It's mostly Sixers fans. Get use to it. I got to hear all about it when the league stepped in on their whole tanking. Sixers fans would even go after each other for not agreeing with Tanking either saying hey aren't a real fan and don't know how basketball works, etc etc. I was actually stepping in defending people in those situations. And god forbid you said anything bad about Hinkie you were done for. I kind of warned a lot of 76ers fans mostly on the pages, my old message board friends etc. Some of them acted like it was a guarantee Lebron was coming to Philly. 

Nah, it’s the Kyrie/Griffin/Gilbert debacle. 
Yeah, I definitely under estimated that dynamic. A Jason Lloyd interview sometime amidst the Isaiah debacle is when reality struck. More so with Griff than the other two. 

I'm sure those were his plans, but given the dysfunction at the top he remembered why he left the first time. 

More like 6th grade I think. I can see Boston easily taking the East now unless something changes like Leonard to Philly or something. 
That's just disrespectful to Indy. The Cavs played MUCH better against the Pacers than they did the Celtics and the Pacers had a great shot at winning that series. 

But ultimately, it's all futile barring an injury to a key player to the Western team in the Finals.

Could not disagree more with The Celtics take...they got to game 7 of the ECF without their two best players...both Brown and Tatum are just scratching the surface of their talent and they have the potential of 4 first round picks next year including the Kings...they are in great shape to play against anyone next year and for years to come...that being said if the price is right I don't have an issue with going after Leonard but having both him and Kyrie on one-year deals has a lot of room for error...
Cool. Understand. Get that I’m not going to move the needle with any Boston fans. And if I was a fan of them I’d be optimistic too.  Lots to feel good about.  I like what thier doing a lot and Danny has done an outstanding job.  I just don’t think they’ve got what it takes to compete with the top teams in the west.  But I hope they do, makes for a much more interesting Finals.  

I guess this year just wore on LeBron more than we thought. He was epic and dominant. He was a one man wrecking crew that carried a team that would have won 25 games to the finals. Yet despite that super human effort, he still got swept by GSW.

He sees the writing on the wall. He can't go that hard again. That's why he takes the 4 years deal. He's done. This is the last team he'll play for. He's going to ride out the storm, collect some stats that are coming to him and trott off into the sunset. He couldn't catch MJ. He gave a it a run but now he's cashing in and setting up his family and business for the future.

So salud to the second greatest of all time. It's the end of a fantastic era of basketball that we will not forget.
I agree but did you forget Wilt Chamberlain played in the NBA for yrs? He's a top 2 player that many consider the best all time. 

It's mostly Sixers fans. Get use to it. I got to hear all about it when the league stepped in on their whole tanking. Sixers fans would even go after each other for not agreeing with Tanking either saying hey aren't a real fan and don't know how basketball works, etc etc. I was actually stepping in defending people in those situations. And god forbid you said anything bad about Hinkie you were done for. I kind of warned a lot of 76ers fans mostly on the pages, my old message board friends etc. Some of them acted like it was a guarantee Lebron was coming to Philly. 
lol, ok DJackson i think you have said enough. One, i am the only one butt-hurt here, not the rest of the Sixers fan. This ###-Clown cost me money because he defied rational thought and any reasonable basketball IQ. And in all honesty, NBA fans in general should be a little dissapointed in not being able to see some great 76er-Celtics games in the playoffs and the growth of a promising young team. 

I do think @Insein is right that last year just beat him down and he signed a 4 year contract to coast into retirement. 

Could not disagree more with The Celtics take...they got to game 7 of the ECF without their two best players...both Brown and Tatum are just scratching the surface of their talent and they have the potential of 4 first round picks next year including the Kings...they are in great shape to play against anyone next year and for years to come...that being said if the price is right I don't have an issue with going after Leonard but having both him and Kyrie on one-year deals has a lot of room for error...
And if Boston didn't get 3 happy in game 7 probably close it out and are playing in the Finals too. 

Wishful thinking aside, still think Kawhi to LA is a long shot. If Lakers were in the East it’s a no brainer. But Pops will much prefer trading him to the East and Sixers would have to think a great year is enough to get Leonard to re-sign. More likely Lakers get Cousins and other pieces. But a brother can pray. Leonard to the Lakers would be unreal. 

I agree that Iggy being healthy and Paul being healthy and the Warrior probably win, but there is a chance Houston could have changed it up and won that series. 
Sure, Rockets were 33% to win the series which is the highest of any team in the past two seasons.

Harden/Paul had one basket in 43 plays against AI as the primary defender.  It threw off their entire defensive scheme - even Green specifically mentioned it in an interview.  AI plays, they win game 4, probably lose game 5 and wrap it up easily in game 6.

And if Boston didn't get 3 happy in game 7 probably close it out and are playing in the Finals too. 
and if the Sixers can make a basket in the last 2 minutes of the games they are in the championship.

if "Ifs" and "butts" were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas - quote from my old high school football coach

Cool. Understand. Get that I’m not going to move the needle with any Boston fans. And if I was a fan of them I’d be optimistic too.  Lots to feel good about.  I like what thier doing a lot and Danny has done an outstanding job.  I just don’t think they’ve got what it takes to compete with the top teams in the west.  But I hope they do, makes for a much more interesting Finals.  
We don't know yet...Hayward played about 5 minutes last year and Kyrie had his issues...have not seen the full squad together yet...I have been very adamant that Hayward is going make a bigger impact than many believe he will...his game is tailor-made for what Stevens wants to do...I could still see Ainge doing something big...he is not gonna let Rozier or Smart simply walk and with all those picks he has ammo to put something together...right now they are in a very good spot in the East...how close they will be to a team like the Warriors is still TBD since we don't know how this will look with Kyrie and Hayward playing together and how much of a jump Brown and Tatum make...

Last edited by a moderator:

I was one of the first to call that BS out that you quoted. He only left Mia because he knew Wade and Bosh couldn't carry a load anymore and Clevland had Kyrie and picks and cap room. It was never about the good story of returning home for a title. If Wade was still in his Prime and Bosh wasn't dealing with injury what makes anyone think Lebron doesn't stay in MIA? 

Wishful thinking aside, still think Kawhi to LA is a long shot. If Lakers were in the East it’s a no brainer. But Pops will much prefer trading him to the East and Sixers would have to think a great year is enough to get Leonard to re-sign. More likely Lakers get Cousins and other pieces. But a brother can pray. Leonard to the Lakers would be unreal. 
I don't think it is.  All Leonard has to say is he's going to be a Laker in a year and it forces all hands.

I was one of the first to call that BS out that you quoted. He only left Mia because he knew Wade and Bosh couldn't carry a load anymore and Clevland had Kyrie and picks and cap room. It was never about the good story of returning home for a title. If Wade was still in his Prime and Bosh wasn't dealing with injury what makes anyone think Lebron doesn't stay in MIA? 
Just stop. Bosh's blood clot thing was like 2 years after LeBron left. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only kidding and busting modogg chops a little. Let's not act like all fans don't do this crap. 

I went to Michigan State in 2000 when we won the national title in basketball and everyone flipped cars and burn couches. Next year we lost to Arizona in the final four and they flipped cars and burned couches. 
I'm not trying to act like not all fans do this. Some of these people are also Eagles and Phillies fans. I'm just saying what I noticed in the city. I don't remember Eagles or Phillies fans having anything close to the attitude Sixers fans were giving people though. Plus it was pretty annoying to hear "Trust The process" all the time when it was a blatant tank job. I'm not saying they are terrible fans either. Just annoying and comical at the same time. Heck I have a boss who was pretty bosterioous that it was all but guaranteed Leonard and Lebron were coming to Philly this summer. It's all I heard for months after his Giants were a disaster this past season. 

Mario Hezonja has agreed to a one-year, $6.5 million deal with the Knicks, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

That seems like a really good deal for the Knicks. When did they start doing that with FA's?

Glad I didn't have to write any of this.  The only thing you might have forgot is him maximizing his income.  And if he really knew about this for a long time like some people say, it's a pretty Dbag move to walk off the court like he did after game 4 this year.  Salute those fans.

I honestly have a huge sense of relief right now.  The only kick in the balls is that he signed a max deal elsewhere, again.  Thanks for the title, Bron.  Now where's my SEXtons jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread