Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

From The Ringer:

The Lakers ultimately provide LeBron with a world of upside: the chance to win another title with his third team in a new conference in a new era while guiding the most popular basketball franchise in the world back to the top of the league. L.A.’s implications on LeBron’s legacy far exceeds anything else he would have achieved in any other city. LeBron won’t catch the ghost he’s chasing without taking a risk. This is it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warriors must have gotten spooked by that Rondo signing.

hey Tim trump just tweeted something you better head on back now. thanks for stopping by. 

Butler is overrated anyway.

28 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

From The Ringer:

that is officially the dumbest writing i have seen from any of the 2nd tier sports websites. It has surpassed the Dallas Cowboys with this "mythical mystique". i hope the Lakers become the laughing stock they are striving to be, and it implodes into a gorgeous train wreck

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, modogg said:

i hope the Lakers become the laughing stock they are striving to be, and it implodes into a gorgeous train wreck

It will be interesting the first time Stephenson sets a weak screen that gets Lonzo clobbered and then Lavar rants about it to Ramona Shelburne. 

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, modogg said:

that is officially the dumbest writing i have seen from any of the 2nd tier sports websites. It has surpassed the Dallas Cowboys with this "mythical mystique". i hope the Lakers become the laughing stock they are striving to be, and it implodes into a gorgeous train wreck

I have no idea what you are talking about.  The Lakers had a bad run.  The Kobe wind down years were a mess on many fronts.  Bad signings (any team can say that about Dwight Howard), bad cap management, bad front office led by Jim Buss.  But what they have in place right now will be anything but a laughing stock.  They may not win a title as Golden State is still stacked, Houston formidable, etc but laughing stock? How? Unless LeBron gets hurt there is not way this team is a laughing stock.  And if they get Leonard or Cousins we'll really see if anybody is laughing.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

It will be interesting the first time Stephenson sets a weak screen that gets Lonzo clobbered and then Lavar rants about it to Ramona Shelburne. 

I love the entire idea of this.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:01 PM, Ghost Rider said:

I think Lakers fans are still deluding themselves into thinking big name free agents are tripping over themselves to sign with their team, when that has not been the case this entire century.  

This didn't age well.

• Like 6

I don't think the Lakers are going to make a real offer on Kawhi. Most I can see is Ingram, Hart and a first if someone takes Deng in the deal. I don't think they even want to give Ingram, but if they could clear Deng in the deal too than they would. Maybe a sign-and-trade of Randle could be involved. But I think they are preparing to save cap space for next offseason and let LeBron have a go at it with the kids. I could see Cousins taking Randle's spot, but it would probably require moving Deng. Only way there is going to be a Kawhi to Lakers trade today is if the Lakers overpay, and I don't see that happening.

10 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:
11 hours ago, Capella said:

Wikkid > name your spot and I’ll do it tomorrow. 

i got a PM in to keerock to choose - figure we'd keep it in the family. no hurry -

good doing business with you...

You guys are awesome (despite your proclivity to enjoy the NBA).  Info sent to @wikkidpissah.  Thanks a bunch... much appreciated!

4 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

I can't imagine where @tommyGunZ is right now, but I know it's a near nirvana state.

Congrats to both of you. Anyone pretending there's some sort of down side to this for either LeBron or the franchise is silly.  If he was a human being you could question a four year $160 million deal for a guy who will turn 34 this year, but he's not a human being so that's largely irrelevant.

Like I said last week when we all know this would happen, the only losers here are east coast hoop heads. But at least the bulk of the league's under-25 talent is in the East, so that's something to enjoy I guess? Also looking forward to everyone over here uniting for some serious next level Celtics hatred.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

The Eastern Conference now has only one remaining player that's made an All NBA team in the last 5 years.

That player, of course, is Joakim Noah.

Joel Embiid got traded? (i guess 2nd team may not count). scary none the less.

Edited by modogg
29 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Congrats to both of you. Anyone pretending there's some sort of down side to this for either LeBron or the franchise is silly.  If he was a human being you could question a four year $160 million deal for a guy who will turn 34 this year, but he's not a human being so that's largely irrelevant.

Like I said last week when we all know this would happen, the only losers here are east coast hoop heads. But at least the bulk of the league's under-25 talent is in the East, so that's something to enjoy I guess? Also looking forward to everyone over here uniting for some serious next level Celtics hatred.

the downside is with NBA fans, and having no Lebron in the playoffs or competitive games past the 2nd round of playoffs. i guess it is time for others to take over, and so be it, but there is a downside in not seeing more competitive basketball. But it had to happen at some point, so we move on....

9 minutes ago, modogg said:

the downside is with NBA fans, and having no Lebron in the playoffs or competitive games past the 2nd round of playoffs. i guess it is time for others to take over, and so be it, but there is a downside in not seeing more competitive basketball. But it had to happen at some point, so we move on....

Not sure I understand what you mean.  The Lakers will make the playoffs.  Even if they don't make another move they're basically just the Cavs of the last two seasons. Nothing else has really changed. If Kawhi also goes to LA that changes things a little, but all it does is eliminate one fringe contender and turn next year's Lakers into last year's Rockets instead of last year's Cavs.

Meanwhile the East is now wide open and several teams for whom simply making the Finals would be their greatest accomplishment in decades have a much better chance to do so. Plus we're one year closer to the end of the Warriors dynasty, which is obviously good news for everyone who doesn't live in northern California.

2 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

The Eastern Conference now has only one remaining player that's made an All NBA team in the last 5 years.

That player, of course, is Joakim Noah.

That is funny, but also points out how sad the center position has become in the NBA. DeAndre Jordan and Noah both have a 1st team selection. Giannis has none. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

My favorite Jim Buss fact is that he went to horse jockey school even though he's 6'2".

7 hours ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn 3h3 hours ago

Sources: The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor saw a live woman's areola.

:lmao:  oh man, i need this this morning.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

That is funny, but also points out how sad the center position has become in the NBA. DeAndre Jordan and Noah both have a 1st team selection. Giannis has none. 

I assume he means a 1st Team All NBA team and not  "an"

12 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Spurs want Saric, Covington and three first rounders?

If that happened (or less picks?) then what would the Sixers do?  Is there a 4 out there that makes sense?  

If that is the case I think a deal gets done with Philly. 

My guess is Saric gets left off and there are heavy protections on those 1sts if Kawhi doesn't sign with them long term. 

If I was the 76ers GM I cone back with this offer. 

Miami 1st and 2 of our 1sts and Covington if Kawhi signs long term. 

If Kawhi leaves after the year it is Covington and a future 1st from Philly that is protected and 2 of Philly's 2nd rounders and we keep the Miami pick. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Wu-banger said:

I assume he means a 1st Team All NBA team and not  "an"

I know that is why I said it Giannis was a 2nd team. Jordan and Noah both have 1st team selection in the last 5 years. 

11 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

If that is the case I think a deal gets done with Philly. 

My guess is Saric gets left off and there are heavy protections on those 1sts if Kawhi doesn't sign with them long term. 

If I was the 76ers GM I cone back with this offer. 

Miami 1st and 2 of our 1sts and Covington if Kawhi signs long term. 

If Kawhi leaves after the year it is Covington and a future 1st from Philly that is protected and 2 of Philly's 2nd rounders and we keep the Miami pick. 

i think they kick the tires around the league, there is no rush now. you have teams like Toronto and Washington who might be willing to make a move or 2. Sixers have to just not panic and stick with the long view in the room. Oldest key player on their team is 23

Edited by modogg

what exactly was the point of lebron's reps meeting with the sixers yesterday and then lebron almost immediately announces that he is going to LA?  Lebron had his mind made up for a while and his reps still were trying to pull a last ditch effort to get him to consider the Sixers?  If so, why? 

Or trying to somehow keep a good future relationship with the Sixers (especially given Simmons)?  Though not sure getting making them fly all the way out there for nothing does all that much to help.  

• Like 4

The Lakers do not need to overpay for Leonard. That was the key to Lebron signing 4 years- he’s not going anywhere. The Lakers aren’t going to win it all this year anyhow. 

Next year Klay Thompson becomes a free agent. That’s who they should target- and Leonard if he still wants to come. 

25 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

:cry: Lance tweeted a goodbye to the Pacers.

Well, hired someone to tweet a goodbye. Cause if you've seen this interview...

Lance seems like a good guy, I think it was obvious he was really nervous in that interview.  I'm going to miss him here in Indy, if you ever went or saw a Pacers game with Lance, you know his numbers don't tell the full story.  I always felt he was one of the reasons the Pacers gave Cleveland such a hard time, he could get into LeBron's head and make him make uncharacteristic mistakes. 

Sorry to see LeBron leave Cleveland too, I always hoped he could get the Cavs another championship.  Ah well.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

what exactly was the point of lebron's reps meeting with the sixers yesterday and then lebron almost immediately announces that he is going to LA?  Lebron had his mind made up for a while and his reps still were trying to pull a last ditch effort to get him to consider the Sixers?  If so, why? 

Or trying to somehow keep a good future relationship with the Sixers (especially given Simmons)?  Though not sure getting making them fly all the way out there for nothing does all that much to help.  

was all bull####. I am wondering what the Sixers would have offered Ariza if they knew Lebron would just tease them along. I guess thankfully they didn't give up a ton for Kawhi to just have Lebron go to LA anyway.

Honestly, F all of them. I am just really hoping Ben doesn't want to go to California after his rookie contract is up

59 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Spurs want Saric, Covington and three first rounders?

If that happened (or less picks?) then what would the Sixers do?  Is there a 4 out there that makes sense?  

If it's the Sixers first rounders, fine. We keep that Miami 2021 then. And I'd protect the hell out them. Top 15 protected for all.

Edited by Insein
3 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Lance Stephenson once threw his girlfriend down the stairs and then grabbed her head and slammed it on the bottom step.

I did not know that, if he did that then I hope he got help for it and I hope he never does anything like that again.  I also hope that young woman got the hell away from him.

2 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Lance Stephenson once threw his girlfriend down the stairs and then grabbed her head and slammed it on the bottom step.

I mean he was 19. Haven't heard anything on a similar front since then, of any kind of crime as far as I know. I'll buy the young and stupid excuse.

Just now, Sullie said:

I did not know that, if he did that then I hope he got help for it and I hope he never does anything like that again.  I also hope that young woman got the hell away from him.

It was a long time ago, right after the Pacers drafted him. But as far as I know he's never really owned it or faced discipline.  He also was arrested for sexual assault related to a groping incident when he was a senior in high school.

It's a weird situation because it was so long ago, and he's stayed out of legal trouble since then. I don't really have much problem with him being in the league, neither case resulted in a conviction. It's just always kinda weird to me that NBA fans/NBA twitter, which is usually pretty good with this stuff, adores a guy with a history of violence against women so much. Especially since as far as I know he's never really owned it or tried to make amends by volunteering or donating money to a cause related to domestic violence or something.

3 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

I mean he was 19. Haven't heard anything on a similar front since then, of any kind of crime as far as I know. I'll buy the young and stupid excuse.

I assume sarcasm but can't quite tell here.

3 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

I dunno. I was young and stupid at 19. I knew a lot of guys who were young and stupid. Somehow I avoided slamming my girlfriend’s head around. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Capella said:

hey Tim trump just tweeted something you better head on back now. thanks for stopping by. 

I was in the middle of a response to him, but then I saw your response pop up. Good timing dude, I almost fell for the bait. I'll try and keep this crap on topic.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Durant is going to the Lakers in 2019-2020.

By then he'll already have 1 more ring than LeBron so Bron can never catch him. Genius.

Edited by ShamrockPride
  • Like 3