What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind it and the Sun's need to start to try to make the playoffs and figure what they with their good young pieces. It is time to see what works and what they need to add. They aren't rebuilding any more, they have pieces time to see if they work or if they have to start all over. 
They aren't going to be able to get a good enough look at Bridges and Jackson if Ariza is playing 30 mpg at their position.

Wish the Suns waited it out too. Nothing against Ariza, but $15 mil for a 33 year old a clearly rebuilding team? Chandler/Dudley aren't enough veteran leadership hogging up cap space while sitting the bench? In the neighborhood of $40 mil in 2018 for just those 3. SMH. 

With as tight as money is around the league, go absorb a contract and get a young guy and/or pick in the process.  Particularly with the gaping hole at PG.
Not sure why they signed him or why they signed him for that amount. He's only going to be taking minutes from Jackson/Bridges/Warren at 3-4. And that's if they completely discard Bender/Chriss. Seems a bit yearly to completely give up on a couple 20 year olds.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking today how there would be no way that Kawhi could be impressed with what the Lakers are adding to that team and it would be seem to be the opposite of what he would want to join. seems a few reports out there now have him puling back from the Lakers talk now and open to other teams. i think the Sixers can hold out for some reassurance that he won't immediately bolt, and i think they can make a deal that could work for Kawhi still:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kawhi-leonard-trade-rumors-spurs-star-could-prefer-sixers-clippers-over-lakers-superteam/

how much personal/competitive satisfaction do you think these guys (Warriors) really get from (when healthy) running roughshod through a season....maybe getting a small push back from a team in one series and then winning the whole thing...? personally I feel like the Warriors embraced Steph's injury a little last year and were ok with losing a few meaningless regular season games and getting the 2 seed instead of the 1 seed.....you just kind of knew it was coming and when push came to shove in crunch time they were going to dominate....but really this is like a little league all star team being put into a regular league that may have one good player on every other team....they can dominate at any time, toy with other teams (so what they are doing doesn't look so bad).....kicking everybody's ### as part of a mini all star team just doesn't seem like it would be very fulfilling at any level....even the pros....except for filling my wallet maybe....
When you are the team doing the @#$ kicking it's pretty dam exciting and entertaining. Being on the other end that's a whole different experience. 

i was thinking today how there would be no way that Kawhi could be impressed with what the Lakers are adding to that team and it would be seem to be the opposite of what he would want to join. seems a few reports out there now have him puling back from the Lakers talk now and open to other teams. i think the Sixers can hold out for some reassurance that he won't immediately bolt, and i think they can make a deal that could work for Kawhi still:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kawhi-leonard-trade-rumors-spurs-star-could-prefer-sixers-clippers-over-lakers-superteam/
It seems exactly like the type of team he would want to play for.  Accumulate as many clowns as possible: Stephenson, McGee, Ball family, a Kardashian somehow to throw all the media focus off of Leonard.

This guy nailed the 76ers fan by portraying modogg. He would have nailed the Laker fans too if he added in the tim line. "I have been a Laker fan for over 60 years" dude you are 51 years old. 
ehh i don't recant the "trust the process" mantra enough to justify that. A Sixers podcast called "Sixers Beat" is one of the more objective one's about the team, and they nailed my thoughts pretty good. It wasn't so much that Lebron chose another team, it is that the Sixers were an obvious better decision from a basketball perspective (the main article on si.com all day was a plea for Lebron to back out of his deal with the Lakers: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/03/lebron-james-lakers-nba-free-agency-demarcus-cousins-warriors).

I think it is the frustration that the Sixers did most of this right, and it just didn't pan out. the cap room with no terrible contract (Bayliss is bad, but not an unavoidable fix) planned for this year and next, the self-control to maintain that, and the building of a strong team that will only get better for the next 3-4 years. it just defies reasonable thinking, but we can move on. I think Brown knows with his public proclamations going "star hunting' that he needs to make some strides. The whole non-GM thing throws a wrench in all of this, but it is hard to bring someone new on in the middle of all of this. Kind of wish they would be interviewing at this point, hopefully they are and just not talking about it

It seems exactly like the type of team he would want to play for.  Accumulate as many clowns as possible: Stephenson, McGee, Ball family, a Kardashian somehow to throw all the media focus off of Leonard.
lol, yeah maybe that is the case too. I was thinking how his main issue seems to be not feeling hurt with his teammates (Parker) and his coach. Got to think with the "diss tracks" and now the volatility of that roster, he would be little reluctant to jump in there. 

But yeah, i think i am done analyzing the NBA players intentions. who the hell knows any more. 

Thibs chance to get Deng back :excited:  
I don't usually believe anything from Cawley. This guy is notorious for making SH** up and hoping it sticks. 2 yrs ago he said it was imminate that Micheal Reinsddorf takes over for his dad and fires I believe Forman and Paxson and gets a totally different regime. That was never correct. He in 09 was writing for the White Sox and made up a bogus rumor a Sox blog had better info then him on. He would mock the blog openly on radio and twitter. The blog initially responded but then said they wouldn't respond further calling him unprofessional. He also made disparaging remarks of Female ESPN reporter Jessica Daniels. He also had his voting privileges taken away by the Chicago burn of the BBWA saying he didn't take his voting seriously. He also came up with the article recently of the Bulls not happy with Kevin Dunn as well as Butler and Rondo not getting along with Chicago which also didn't seem true. It's an intriguing story but I wouldn't believe much of what this clown says. Based on people who live in Chicago including a family member he's considered a joke. 

Jimmy Butler sounds like a guy who isn't happy on a few teams, you would have to think a lot of teams would rather have Towns than Butler. and saying he wants to play with Irving, I would think that isn't a trade to Boston since it doesn't seem too promising Irving stays there after this year.
I wouldn't believe anything the writer who put that up on. Id take him with a huge grain of salt. He loves to throw stuff up there hoping something eventually sticks. He's been trying to run with the Butler isn't happy over the last 3-4 yrs. There also doesn't seem to be hard feelings among Chicago and Butler as he's very close with Micheal Riensdorf. 

The Chicago reporters who first mentioned the Kings' interest in LaVine have backed off that now.  There is a rumor about the Bulls wanting Parker.  No idea if that's true. 
I've heard it too. Last I heard on Kings and Lavine is if it were to happen it'd be a sign and trade. Atl seems more of a possibility but I think I read they are afraid of Chicago just matching it.  I would love to get Parker though but I'm not sure if he's a better SF or PF and we already have Lauri at the PF with WCJ at C. We do need a wing player though

That is rich coming from you. 
He's known for stirring the pot. You can look up his article history at the Chicago Sun Times. He throws out a lot of hot takes hoping something is right. I forget the poster who mentioned it ut I remember someone going on the herd a few months ago with the Butler/Kyrie report. Cawley is notorious for piggybacking on others opinions or ideas and acting like he had insider info on it or something. He's taken with a giant grain of salt most times. I really don't believe anything with Chicago locally unless it Goodwill, KC Johnson or Friedell or it comes from Woj/Sham etc at the National Level. 

He's known for stirring the pot. You can look up his article history at the Chicago Sun Times. He throws out a lot of hot takes hoping something is right. I forget the poster who mentioned it ut I remember someone going on the herd a few months ago with the Butler/Kyrie report. Cawley is notorious for piggybacking on others opinions or ideas and acting like he had insider info on it or something. He's taken with a giant grain of salt most times. I really don't believe anything with Chicago locally unless it Goodwill, KC Johnson or Friedell or it comes from Woj/Sham etc at the National Level. 
I get it. It is rich coming from you because you are calling out someone for doing it, when you constantly do the same thing in here. 

I get it. It is rich coming from you because you are calling out someone for doing it, when you constantly do the same thing in here. 
Hey it's okay if you don't believe me on somethings. I'm use to being in the minority and being in the minority sometimes doesn't mean you're wrong though. Plus I don't make a lot up. People it seems online have this thing of revisionary history of what suits their argument the best. A lot of people have been wrong on things they said and try to back out of it. Thanks to the internet it's easy to call out people for hypocrisy. 

Hey it's okay if you don't believe me on somethings. I'm use to being in the minority and being in the minority sometimes doesn't mean you're wrong though. Plus I don't make a lot up. People it seems online have this thing of revisionary history of what suits their argument the best. A lot of people have been wrong on things they said and try to back out of it. Thanks to the internet it's easy to call out people for hypocrisy. 
No, you literally make things up that aren't true and can be found by a simple search, those aren't opinions. 

NO offered Cousins 2/40 mil at the end of the season and he turned it down. You can't make this stuff up.

NO offered Cousins 2/40 mil at the end of the season and he turned it down. You can't make this stuff up.
When you say end of the year, do you mean regular season the Pelicans season or the end of playoffs? If it was the regular season or Pelicans season I can see why he would turn it down. He bet the market for his services would be higher and he lost, that happens. If it was 3 weeks ago I think his agent might have had a better idea and it does look foolish. 

When you say end of the year, do you mean regular season the Pelicans season or the end of playoffs? If it was the regular season or Pelicans season I can see why he would turn it down. He bet the market for his services would be higher and he lost, that happens. If it was 3 weeks ago I think his agent might have had a better idea and it does look foolish. 
I know it was after the injury. I don't know how anyone turns that down with that devastating injury.

Also, heard he was willing to sign with the Lakers for the mle and they said no.

it is funny every rumor with LA and San Antonio for Kawhi has SA asking for all their young guys and picks, except for Lonzo. I do feel bad for the kid, but everything is Ingram, Hart, and Kuz plus picks. they definitely make it a point to say they don't want Lonzo

LaVar said:

"Lonzo ain't going to play off the ball. How's LeBron going to play point? Lonzo will be pushing and he get it out of his hands too quick. Lonzo don't do all that dribbling. All he got to do is run the lane and the pass going to be right on the money … We going to play so fast, he'll throw him touchdown passes and be scoring all day. And then when he don't, he going to throw the long pass and Lonzo will shoot the 3-pointer very easy."

LaVar said:

"Lonzo ain't going to play off the ball. How's LeBron going to play point? Lonzo will be pushing and he get it out of his hands too quick. Lonzo don't do all that dribbling. All he got to do is run the lane and the pass going to be right on the money … We going to play so fast, he'll throw him touchdown passes and be scoring all day. And then when he don't, he going to throw the long pass and Lonzo will shoot the 3-pointer very easy."
Have to give Lavar credit when he is right. Lonzo will shoot a very easy 3. 

I doubt he makes it, but it will be a nice easy open look. 

I was listening to NBA radio earlier and the host said at some point, Kawhi was ok with a trade to Philly. He also said the uncle that seems to be running things lives in Jersey. I can see him staying in Philly if he's traded there. If Philly makes it to finals with him, I would find it hard to believe he walks away. He said Philly was interested in Fultz.

Kawhi did his rehab with Philly's doctor.

:lmao:  I can't stop laughing at this article from Lakers sports media. Suggests that Lakers could have got Boogie at the same deal he signed with GS, and the Lakers said no to him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784419-lakers-rumors-los-angeles-turned-down-chance-to-sign-demarcus-cousins

I mean c'mon. I think i believe Donald Trump saved us all from a few wars before i believe the Lakers turned away Boogie at 5.3 million for one year. Sure Lance and McGee are much better value then that deal for Boogie. 

:lmao:  I can't stop laughing at this article from Lakers sports media. Suggests that Lakers could have got Boogie at the same deal he signed with GS, and the Lakers said no to him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784419-lakers-rumors-los-angeles-turned-down-chance-to-sign-demarcus-cousins

I mean c'mon. I think i believe Donald Trump saved us all from a few wars before i believe the Lakers turned away Boogie at 5.3 million for one year. Sure Lance and McGee are much better value then that deal for Boogie. 
Per Marc Stein of the New York Times, the All-Star center presented the Lakers with a chance to add him at a salary similar to the $5.3 mid-level exception he received from Golden State, but they decided to go in a different direction. 

Per Marc Stein of the New York Times, the All-Star center presented the Lakers with a chance to add him at a salary similar to the $5.3 mid-level exception he received from Golden State, but they decided to go in a different direction. 
yeah, i was lazy in my reading of the article, but still calling b.s on the overall report. I guess this is how some fan bases get bad reps when not warranted, so you got a point. Still think the premise is funny though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread