What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess the math is Boogie is a cancer, we are not retaining his rights past this season, and we have no chance this season.

Gsw and Boston were interested.  Think Houston may have been interested in sign and trade with Pels but Boogie said EFF that.
Sign and trade is a tough ask given the injury situation.  Cousins didn't want to get locked down at the lowest value of his career and the nobody wants to get caught holding the bag if he didn't recover to his old form.

It sounds like Damian Lillard is a little disgruntled and is being shopped around...
i think it sounds like the big moves in free agency have occurred and the 24-hour sports news cycle is reaching at anything they can. Somebody tweeted Lillard if he wanted to be traded to the Lakers, and Lillard responds "i am typically a happy camper". Now all everyone on ESPN and FS1 is talking about him joining the Lakers. What in the hell do the Lakers have that the T-Blazers would want to add? if they want to give up Ingram for Lillard, and i am guessing it will take more then that, well go ahead i guess. 

Gr00vus said:
Nobody's kicking the tires on Brook Lopez? The market for big guys sure is depressed.
I feel like he has a handshake deal with the Lakers that the team is holding off on while exploring trade possibilities.

I have to give an obvious mea culpa in saying that Boogie must have had bigger offers than the one he took with Golden State. I guess with his injury it just didn't make any sense for any of the teams with cap space to sign him, and there was no reason for him to sign a three year contract (required for a sign and trade) at below-market value when he thinks he can recover sufficiently to make boatloads after this season.

I can't think of a situation where a player would be more motivated to play well and get along with others than the one Boogie currently finds himself in. I guess we'll get an indication from how much he weighs when he reports to camp. His playing weight was around 270 but he has been accused of being overweight and out of shape even at that weight. Draymond should keep him in line and the Warriors pride themselves with being able to succesfully rehabilitate reclaimation projects. And the Warriors love the splash plays, both on the court and in free agency.

My one concern was the opportunity cost the Warriors were paying by paying Cousins instead of their stated preference of a wing, though almost all the players supposedly on their list have already signed for much higher contracts elsewhere. One intrigiuing player whose name I've heard a couple times (besises McCaw) is CHA SG Treveon Graham.

Tim Kawakami has said that Cousins was a prelude to their eventual run at Anthony Davis. I keep hearing about the Warriors obsession with getting Davis but I can't imagine what the Pels would agree to except Klay and Draymond but it seems risky to trade away such a large chunk of the core when they are still winning.
But then consider the wings they acquired last off season (Cresspi and Young).  Yeah they need some guys to eat minutes during the regular season but they can afford to play the long game now.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the main horses play 60-65 games this year, that's on top of the 4th quarter blow out rest.  Curry, Klay, Iggy, KD, Draymond rested and playing 35 minutes/game in the playoffs, more if needed.  Just need to fill gaps.

While Klay and Draymond are the two obvious chips in a block buster trade, I think it's tough shipping Green.  He was a big part of recruiting KD two years ago and Cousins recently.

I have to give an obvious mea culpa in saying that Boogie must have had bigger offers than the one he took with Golden State. I guess with his injury it just didn't make any sense for any of the teams with cap space to sign him, and there was no reason for him to sign a three year contract (required for a sign and trade) at below-market value when he thinks he can recover sufficiently to make boatloads after this season.

I can't think of a situation where a player would be more motivated to play well and get along with others than the one Boogie currently finds himself in. I guess we'll get an indication from how much he weighs when he reports to camp. His playing weight was around 270 but he has been accused of being overweight and out of shape even at that weight. Draymond should keep him in line and the Warriors pride themselves with being able to succesfully rehabilitate reclaimation projects. And the Warriors love the splash plays, both on the court and in free agency.

My one concern was the opportunity cost the Warriors were paying by paying Cousins instead of their stated preference of a wing, though almost all the players supposedly on their list have already signed for much higher contracts elsewhere. One intrigiuing player whose name I've heard a couple times (besises McCaw) is CHA SG Treveon Graham.

Tim Kawakami has said that Cousins was a prelude to their eventual run at Anthony Davis. I keep hearing about the Warriors obsession with getting Davis but I can't imagine what the Pels would agree to except Klay and Draymond but it seems risky to trade away such a large chunk of the core when they are still winning.

Hopefully they made the right personnel decision. It would be quite a burden if the Warriors lack of wing depth forces the starters to play hard for nine or ten minutes a game to win their next championship, instead of the six or seven minutes a game they played last postseason.

Frostillicus said:
Unless I'm missing something the Kings have a bunch of cap room and can basically give Lavine any salary they want and can still fit him.
I think the feeling was CHI would want something in return. 

Frostillicus said:
This isn't true.
Look at his numbers from the 1st month and then the rest of the season. Not really lottery pick play. People got a hard on because he was similar size to curry and "could shoot". But he's terrible defensively and he only shot 36% overall from 3. Curry also shot over 40% from behind for his college career. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Because he’s way better than Holmes and he’s on the veteran minimum.  He’s not a bad backup center.  I would’ve liked O’Quinn but I doubt he takes a minimum
I honestly think Holmes is a way better player overall but needs playing time. 

i think it sounds like the big moves in free agency have occurred and the 24-hour sports news cycle is reaching at anything they can. Somebody tweeted Lillard if he wanted to be traded to the Lakers, and Lillard responds "i am typically a happy camper". Now all everyone on ESPN and FS1 is talking about him joining the Lakers. What in the hell do the Lakers have that the T-Blazers would want to add? if they want to give up Ingram for Lillard, and i am guessing it will take more then that, well go ahead i guess. 
Kuzma and Ingram but really thats it and that doesn't move the needle much on taking Lilliard 

But then consider the wings they acquired last off season (Cresspi and Young).  Yeah they need some guys to eat minutes during the regular season but they can afford to play the long game now.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the main horses play 60-65 games this year, that's on top of the 4th quarter blow out rest.  Curry, Klay, Iggy, KD, Draymond rested and playing 35 minutes/game in the playoffs, more if needed.  Just need to fill gaps.

While Klay and Draymond are the two obvious chips in a block buster trade, I think it's tough shipping Green.  He was a big part of recruiting KD two years ago and Cousins recently.
how much value does Klay have with him being a FA next year?

Long Ball Larry said:
Jonah Bolden

Zhaire Smith
can't skip Korkmaz in that group. Kid has to put on some muscle, but he is a true sharp shooter from 3

Look at his numbers from the 1st month and then the rest of the season. Not really lottery pick play. People got a hard on because he was similar size to curry and "could shoot". But he's terrible defensively and he only shot 36% overall from 3. Curry also shot over 40% from behind for his college career. 
He was still playing like a lottery pick.  He averaged 27 points and 8 assists per game in B12 play - that's really good!  Not as good as non-conference, where he played against Northwestern State, Ball State, and Omaha, but still pretty good.

Sources: Thunder, Carmelo Anthony to part ways this summer

My second-favorite part is this sentence:

"Anthony, a 10-time NBA All-Star and four-time Olympic gold medalist, would be pursued vigorously among contenders on the free agent market."

:lmao:

My favorite part is just thinking about him on the Lakers.

Also I've never been so happy the Wiz don't have cap space. They would have to deal away their other useless garbage if he wants to move back to the area.

What league did Curry play in again?  And how do you think teams started guarding Oklahoma after that hot first month?

I love Summer League overreactions.  Young is garbage and Bagley is a "project".  Oh, OK.  :rolleyes:

What league did Curry play in again?  And how do you think teams started guarding Oklahoma after that hot first month?

I love Summer League overreactions.  Young is garbage and Bagley is a "project".  Oh, OK.  :rolleyes:
Um, Young is not Curry.  These concerns aren't new for those two players.  Teams make crappy top five picks all the time.

Someone please educate me on what Rose rights are. All I keep hearing in Boston is the Celts perpetual interest in acquiring Anthony Davis. But I read that teams can only acquire one player on a roster by gaining Rose rights. Apparently they did that with Kyrie, so currently they couldn’t roster both AD and Irving as Davis has Rose rights. That’s all news to me, so any clarification or info would be appreciated.

Never been a fan of young, but curry wasnt "the curry" till his fourth season.  Regardless, i cant see young being on that level ever.

He has a cool last name? Holy Cow-A-Bonga!!! What a DUNK!  :shrug:  
Just read a bit more about him. He's 18, has some intriguing physical attributes, but is a major project. Sounds like a magic bean. I guess that's worth being out of the 2nd round next year. :shrug:

Philly gets a 2019 2nd rounder and cash.

Why do the Lakers need this guy? What's his deal? He's a 6'9" point guard who averaged 2 assists per game in Germany? 
i like the kid, one of the youngest in the draft and has a high ceiling. of course he has a long way to go. would rather have sent you guys Pasenciks. looked it up and still probably missed the spelling:   https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pasecan01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

But the kid has promise, worth an early 2nd rounder for sure

I honestly think Holmes is a way better player overall but needs playing time. 
He's had enough time and he's basically the same player he always has been - clueless on defense which is not workable for 5s, and he can't play the 4 on offense.  He's a fun dunker and weakside blocker, and i have a soft spot in my heart for him as a peak Process player, but he's a net negative player overall.  There's a reason why Brett duct taped him to the bench in the playoffs.

#CHAMPIONSHIP

Los Angeles Lakers‏Verified account @Lakers

FollowingFollowing @Lakers

More

OFFICIAL: Lakers Acquire Isaac Bonga in Trade with Philadelphia
This was announced as happening on draft night but wasn't allowed to officially go through until today because the Sixers couldn't receive any more cash in trade deals until today (new league year?)

If you want to know what it feels like to be a Wizards fan I can’t really think of a more perfect example than giving a 34 year old Dwight Howard a totally unecessary player option for a second year while your team is still hamstrung by totally unnecessary player options it gave to guys still on the roster.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread